No Injuries in Fair Hill Barn Fire

A Christmas Eve fire completely destroyed a barn at Fair Hill Training Center. The barn houses an outpatient veterinary clinic operated by Dr. Kathleen Anderson and is used part of the year by trainer Michael Matz, but was empty at the time of the fire.

“We appear to have lost everything, but fortunately no horses or people were involved,” Anderson told Paulick Report. “There was a lot of diagnostic equipment: X-rays, ultrasound, the pharmacy, plus medical records.”

Also suffering a barn fire over the holiday weekend was Glencrest Farm. The farm's stallion barn was completely destroyed Christmas morning, according to Paulick Report. While the farm no longer stands stallions, the barn was home to three show horses who perished in the fire.

“Nothing survived,” John Greathouse, Jr. told Paulick Report. “The barn is gone and sadly the horses.”

The barn was leased by Lorna Matthews and Melanie Fransen. Andrea Greathouse established a GoFundMe page to collect donations for the mother and daughter.

“We are asking for help in raising funds towards everything that was lost,” Andrea Greathouse tweeted. “Our thoughts and prayers go out to the three incredible horses that lost their lives and to Lorna and Melanie who have lost so much.”

The cause of both fires is still under investigation.

The post No Injuries in Fair Hill Barn Fire appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

Source of original post

USADA Unable to Reach Deal With HISA Authority

The United States Anti-Doping Agency (USADA), for years a vocal proponent of federal legislation to bring the sport under a single governing entity, announced in a press release Thursday morning that it has been unable to reach an agreement to become the enforcement agency for the Horseracing Integrity and Safety Authority, the broad non-profit umbrella established by the Horseracing Integrity and Safety Act.

“After months of negotiations, we have been unable to enter an agreement in line with the requirements of the Act, and one which would have given us a reasonable chance to put in place a credible and effective program.  While we are obviously saddened by the outcome at this stage, we tried our absolute best to find a way forward but without success,” wrote Travis Tygart, USADA CEO, in a statement.

In a separate statement Thursday, the Authority confirmed the news. “As mandated by the Horseracing Integrity and Safety Act of 2020, USADA and HISA had been engaged in good faith negotiations but were unable to reach final terms,” the Authority wrote.

With the act scheduled to go into effect July 1 next year–provided it survives legal challenges in the interim–this announcement throws into disarray a crucial component of HISA.

That's because, with only six months left on the clock, the million-dollar question now is: What entity or entities will be responsible for overseeing HISA's laboratory accreditation, drug testing and enforcement program?

The law dictates that if USADA is not the contracted enforcement agency, the Authority must enter into an agreement “with an entity that is nationally recognized as being a medication regulation agency equal in qualification” to USADA.

In Thursday's statement, the Authority wrote that it is “evaluating options for engagement with other leading independent enforcement agencies.”

Furthermore, there will be a temporary delay in submission of the Anti-Doping and Medication Control draft rules to the FTC until a “new independent agency” can be identified and an agreement nailed down.

“This will allow HISA and another independent enforcement agency to reach an agreement and build on the progress that has been made to-date with USADA. HISA anticipates this process will permit the full implementation of the final ADMC rules in early 2023.”

According to the Authority, the draft Racetrack Safety regulations that were submitted to the FTC earlier this month will be implemented on July 1 next year, following the requisite review, public comment and education periods.

For many, this announcement will come as a bolt out of the blue.

Indeed, A little more than two weeks ago at the latest Race Track Industry Symposium at Tucson, Charles Scheeler, chairman of the Authority, unveiled a key development for what was to be the working mechanics of HISA's drug testing program.

According to Scheeler, individual states were going to continue conducting race-day testing and sample collection come July 1 next year. At the same time, USADA would manage the out-of-competition (OOC) testing program.

However, when the 2023 season rolls around, USADA was expected to assume responsibility for both race-day and OOC testing. That arrangement is now obviously defunct.

“While we desperately tried to reach an agreement to implement the program, without compromising our values, we have always said the passing of the legislation and the finalization of uniform, robust rules are huge victories for the horses and the equine industry,” Tygart wrote, in Thursday's statement.

“We are honored to have been involved with these efforts to restore the integrity of thoroughbred horse racing. Though we are unsure what the future holds for USADA–if any–in this effort, we have offered to assist the Authority and others in the industry to ensure that the sport gets the program it needs and that the horses deserve,” Tygart added.

In a statement Thursday, Scheeler said “We are deeply grateful for USADA's hard work, expertise and leadership in working with HISA's Anti-Doping and Medication Committee to develop comprehensive draft rules in a remarkably short period of time.”

NHBA President Eric Hamelback released the following statement, “The National HBPA continues to stand steadfast behind our belief that the HISA Act is an unconstitutional delegation of authority to a private organization. With that said, after the events announced today we hope members of the Authority take into strong consideration partnering with an enforcement agency that understands the nuances of the horse-racing industry and recognizes the significant positive strides this industry has made in both safety and integrity. Now would be a perfect opportunity for the Authority to mesh the safety regulations that have been put forth with the best of the model rules currently established throughout the United States.”

The TDN requested in-person interviews with both Tygart and someone from the Authority about the reasons underpinning Thursday's announcement, and where HISA stands now. These requests remain pending.

In the meantime, the news leaves dangling many key questions pertaining to the practical implementation of HISA. Among them are the following:

1 – Realistically, what entity or entities could step into the role of the enforcement agency?

Could a group like the United States Equestrian Federation pick up the reins? Or is there still a place for USADA to jump into the saddle?

2 – The issue of cost has been an albatross hanging around the neck of HISA from the start.

And so, when it comes to selecting any enforcement agency moving forward, is there a viable, affordable option for the industry that can still meet HISA's statutory needs?

3 – USADA has already put together and published several key materials outlining things like the prohibited substance list, the results management process, sanctions, and the equine sample collection procedure.

But how much of these materials is proprietary, meaning, the Authority would be forced back to the drawing board?

4 – Drugs are broken into two broad categories. Primary substances are those prohibited at all times. Secondary substances–like therapeutic medications–are prohibited just on race-day.

USADA's system was expected to do away with the current Association of Racing Commissioners International (ARCI)'s alphanumeric classification system for regulated drugs–class 1 through 5, and A through D.

Will the primary and secondary substances lists–the latter USADA hadn't publicly released–still be adopted as part of HISA's anti-doping and medication control rules program?

Or could we see a scenario where the ARCI's model rules remain in place? This last question leads onto the next.

5 – Could today's news facilitate a long-term expanded role for the Racing Medication and Testing Consortium (RMTC) under HISA, considering the agency already performs several key tasks under the Act's anti-doping and medication program?

For one, laboratories currently accredited by the RMTC were expected to be given interim accreditation for the last six months of 2022 as it was.

Furthermore, the ARCI's model rules are built upon the RMTC's scientific groundwork.

6 – As per USADA's results management program, a “National Steward Panel” would be responsible for hearing secondary substance violations, while “Impartial arbitrators” would hear those for primary substance violations.

This system was warmly received within the industry as an important break from the status quo.

But without USADA at the helm–and currently no firm idea as to who the enforcement agency will be–what is the likelihood these panels will be in place even by the start of 2023?

The post USADA Unable to Reach Deal With HISA Authority appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

Source of original post

Judge Modifies, But Does Not Revoke Fishman’s Bail Conditions

After federal prosecutors alleged that indicted Florida veterinarian Seth Fishman is still selling purportedly performance-enhancing drugs (PEDs) while awaiting trial in the international racehorse doping conspiracy case, the judge in the case Wednesday ordered new bail modification conditions after hearing both sides of the issue at a Monday hearing that could have–but didn't–result in Fishman's bail being revoked.

Judge Mary Kay Vyskocil of United States District Court (Southern District of New York) wrote in a Dec. 22 order that the following added terms shall apply to Fishman's pretrial release:

“The defendant shall surrender all drugs and/or substances now stored at [the address for his Boca Raton business] to an agent of the Federal Bureau of Investigation, the Food and Drug Administration, or the designee of either the FBI or the FDA, within two weeks of Dec. 20. At all times prior to the surrender of the drugs or substances … the defendant, his agents, and any employees of any business controlled by the defendant shall refrain from entering the [Boca Raton business]. For the duration of the period of his pretrial release, the defendant, and all entities that he controls, shall refrain from the manufacture and/or distribution of any drug or substance, and from the administration of any drug or substance, apart from the drugs and substances that the defendant may administer to himself in the course of self-treatment for his own medical conditions.”

Fishman is charged with two felony counts related to drug alteration, misbranding, and conspiring to defraud the government. His trail is tentatively expected to begin in January.

On Dec. 6, federal prosecutors asked the judge overseeing the case to consider revoking the bail terms of Fishman's pretrial release. The basis for that request was that an employee of Fishman's had informed the government that Fishman was still allegedly creating pharmaceuticals for foreign distribution, and an FBI search of Fishman's business permitted by that employee allegedly turned up some of the same drugs that had formed the basis of Fishman's originally charged offenses.

One week later, Fishman's legal team denied the charges while alleging that the move by the feds to get Fishman's bail revoked was a ploy to undermine his legal preparation for the upcoming trial.

The post Judge Modifies, But Does Not Revoke Fishman’s Bail Conditions appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

Source of original post

Two Weeks From Crucial Hearing, NYRA Adds to Arguments Against Baffert

The New York Racing Association (NYRA) Wednesday added to an already daunting compilation of court documentation filed by both parties in an attempt to bolster its arguments in advance of a Jan. 6 “motion to dismiss” hearing in Bob Baffert's civil rights lawsuit against NYRA.

The purpose of the Dec. 22 reply memorandum was to give NYRA “the opportunity to briefly address new arguments raised by Plaintiff in his opposition brief” and to confirm NYRA's position in relation to Baffert's civil action claim.

“First, Plaintiff fails to articulate an actionable 'substantive due process' claim,” the filing in United States District Court (Eastern District of New York) stated. “Instead, Plaintiff's Response simply repeats his procedural due process allegations and fails to point to any facts showing that NYRA's actions in connection with the Administrative Proceeding are 'arbitrary, conscience-shocking, or oppressive in a constitutional sense…'

“Second, Plaintiff's argument that he is not required to exhaust administrative remedies is foreclosed by controlling precedent. The Second Circuit has held that, although most [Section] 1983 [civil rights] plaintiffs are not subject to an exhaustion requirement, that rule 'does not apply to procedural due process challenges if the plaintiff failed to avail himself of the very administrative procedures he attacks as inadequate'…

“Third, like other disciplinary proceedings brought against licensees, the Administrative Proceeding is clearly a civil enforcement proceeding requiring Younger abstention [a doctrine that mandates federal courts must not hear cases involving federal issues already being litigated at the state level]… Moreover, contrary to Plaintiff's argument, the Court has already recognized that the state interests implicated here are 'weighty' and 'important.'”

“Finally, Plaintiff's argument that his claim implicates 'pure questions of law' misses the mark. Plaintiff has raised these same legal issues in the Administrative Proceeding, and upon its completion, Plaintiff may seek judicial review in New York State court… Plaintiff's claim stretches beyond pure legal questions–Plaintiff has made the factual allegation that the Administrative Proceeding is a 'fait accompli.'”

NYRA had barred Baffert back on May 17, which was 16 days after the now-deceased Medina Spirit won the GI Kentucky Derby while testing positive for an overage of betamethasone. In the 12 months prior to that positive, four other Baffert trainees had also tested positive for medication overages, two of them in Grade I stakes.

Baffert responded to NYRA's ruling-off by filing a June 14 civil complaint alleging that the ban violated his constitutional right to due process. On July 14, the eve of the Saratoga season, the court granted Baffert a preliminary injunction that allowed him to race at New York's premier tracks until the lawsuit was adjudicated in full.

The post Two Weeks From Crucial Hearing, NYRA Adds to Arguments Against Baffert appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

Source of original post

Verified by MonsterInsights