Four English Tracks Welcome Spectators on Wednesday

Four tracks will be welcoming in limited spectators in England on Wednesday. Haydock, Kempton, Lingfield and Ludlow-all located in Tier 2 areas–are all set to open their doors to spectators for the first time since March. The COVID-19 pandemic forced the halt of all racing from mid-March and it did not resume-behind closed doors only–until June 1. There have been a pair of small pilot days, with Doncaster and Warwick both hosting some crowds in September, but it was not until the UK government released their new tiered system that crowds were once more greenlit in any capacity. Racecourses in Tier 1 and 2 areas are permitted to allow spectators after the national lockdown ended in England on Wednesday. In Tier 1, up to 4,000 people are allowed or 50% capacity in outdoor venues, with those restrictions tightened to 2,000 people or 50% capacity in Tier 2 areas.

Jockey Club Group Chief Executive Nevin Truesdale, who commented on Haydock and Kempton, which are both under the Jockey Club Racecourses banner, said, “Aside from our successful pilot race day at Warwick, it’s been more than eight months since we’ve been able to welcome spectators on course–and racing fans have been incredibly patient in that time.

“Since the restricted number of tickets went on sale for our race days in Tier 2 areas of the country, we’ve seen a really positive response, including our general admission allocations selling out for this weekend’s feature race days at Sandown Park and Aintree. Last week’s Government announcement that a limited number of spectators will be allowed to return is a great first step on the road to recovery for sport in general.

“But there is no magic switch you flick to ensure your venues are instantly ready, and I’m very proud of all our teams around the country who have been working tirelessly to ensure that racing fans can purchase tickets as smoothly as possible and will then have a safe and enjoyable day out.”

Ludlow is limiting their numbers to about 650 instead of 2,000.

General Manager and Clerk of the Course Simon Sherwood said, “The phones have been very busy. We’ll probably be up to our maximum allocation as far as numbers are concerned. Hopefully we’ll be around the 650 mark, plus essential workers.

“It’ll be good to have people back on the race track. We’ve had to change our zones a little bit. It will be nice to have the owners back properly–because they have been restricted up until now–and members who, likewise, have been sitting on the sidelines for a long time. They are obviously our most important people.

“We are very much limiting our numbers, because it is a step in a new direction and we’re using it as a stepping stone to hopefully opening up a bit more for our December meeting.”

Besides Ludlow, Lingfield will also be restricting its capacity to only several hundred patrons.

Mark Spincer, Arena Racing Company Managing Director said, “We’ll get a few hundred people. We’ll probably be a little busier than would be expected for a normal midweek all-weather fixture. We’re not doing any hospitality, only for owners–so we haven’t put any corporate on which would normally be a reasonably good corporate day there–but we decided that before Christmas we’re just going to focus on the owners and the general admissions area.

“We’ll learn a lot tomorrow, as we have done all along. We’re ready–we’ve got processes and procedures in place. The site is ready. We’ve got a lot of fixtures there in the month of December–that’s another factor.

“The team have worked so hard. They were one of the first sites to come back behind closed doors. Any last minute changes and tweaks that get thrown at us, we’ll be ready to deal with accordingly.”

The post Four English Tracks Welcome Spectators on Wednesday appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

Source of original post

Applications Now Open for 2021 Thoroughbred Makeover

Applications are now open for the 2021 competition year of the Thoroughbred Makeover and National Symposium, presented by Thoroughbred Charities of America. Applications will be accepted through Jan. 15, 2021 and accepted trainers will be announced Feb. 15, 2021.

As the 2020 Thoroughbred Makeover was postponed to 2021 due to the impact of the global COVID-19 pandemic, the 2021 edition of the Retired Racehorse Project’s banner event will include competition groups both for horses that would have competed in 2020, as well as those entering for 2021. The two groups will compete separately, including two separate Finales to crown each year’s Thoroughbred Makeover Champion. Applications for the 2020 competition year closed earlier this year, though new owners of horses already entered for 2020 may apply to compete.

Entering its seventh year at the Kentucky Horse Park in Lexington, the Thoroughbred Makeover features competition in 10 disciplines for recently-retired Thoroughbreds in their first year of retraining for a career after racing. Horses and their trainers may compete in one or two disciplines of their choice, including Barrel Racing, Competitive Trail, Dressage, Eventing, Field Hunter, Polo, Ranch Work, Show Hunter, Show Jumper, and Freestyle (a freeform discipline showcasing skills of the trainer’s choosing).

Horses and trainers will compete for more than $100,000 in total prize money per competition year, plus the coveted title of Thoroughbred Makeover Champion at the Kentucky Horse Park Oct. 12-17, 2021. The Thoroughbred Makeover and National Symposium includes not just the competition, but educational seminars, a vendor fair, the Makeover Marketplace horse sale, and the Makeover Master Class, featuring demonstrations and insight from leading trainers. The Finale features the top five horses in each discipline and will be live-streamed for viewers at home.

The Thoroughbred Makeover is open to professionals, amateurs, juniors (ages 12 and over), and teams. Applicants are required to provide information about their riding and competition background as well as references, including one from a veterinarian. Applicants are encouraged to provide links to riding video, which is a requirement for first-time competitors. Competitors do not need to have acquired their horse at the time of application, though they must register their horse no later than July 31, 2021.

For a complete list of rules, click here or visit the Retired Racehorse Project’s website here for more information.

The post Applications Now Open for 2021 Thoroughbred Makeover appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

Source of original post

Hall of Fame Announces Call for Entries for Third Annual ‘Photo Finish’ Exhibit

The National Museum of Racing and Hall of Fame has announced the return of its juried photography exhibition program, Photo Finish. The Museum is now accepting submissions for consideration from both amateur and professional photographers of scenes depicting Thoroughbred racing in America for its third annual exhibition. Racing scenes, portraits (both human and equine), whimsical, morning workouts, retired racehorses, etc., are all welcome; it is up to the photographer to interpret the theme and be as creative as possible. The Museum also welcomes photographs documenting what racing was like during the pandemic in this unusual 2020 season.

Photographs for consideration must be submitted by May 10, 2021. A panel of judges representing both the racing and arts communities will select the photographs for the exhibition, which will open in November 2021 in the von Stade Gallery.

Application forms will be available at the Museum front desk and can be downloaded from the Museum’s website here. If you have any questions, contact Curator Victoria Reisman at VReisman@racingmuseum.net or (518) 584-0400 ext. 113.

The second annual Photo Finish exhibition will remain on display in through Jan. 31, 2021. The online exhibition will be available on the Museum website through Summer 2021 and can be accessed here.

The post Hall of Fame Announces Call for Entries for Third Annual ‘Photo Finish’ Exhibit appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

Source of original post

Trainer Applications Now Open For 2021 Thoroughbred Makeover

Applications are now open for the 2021 competition year of the Thoroughbred Makeover and National Symposium, presented by Thoroughbred Charities of America. Applications will be accepted through Jan. 15, 2021. Accepted trainers will be announced on Feb. 15, 2021.

As the 2020 Thoroughbred Makeover was postponed to 2021 due to the impact of the global COVID-19 pandemic, the 2021 edition of the Retired Racehorse Project's banner event will include competition groups both for horses that would have competed in 2020, as well as those entering for 2021. The two groups will compete separately, including two separate Finales to crown each year's Thoroughbred Makeover Champion. Applications for the 2020 competition year closed earlier this year, though new owners of horses already entered for 2020 may apply to compete.

Entering its seventh year at the Kentucky Horse Park in Lexington, Ky., the Thoroughbred Makeover features competition in ten disciplines for recently-retired Thoroughbreds in their first year of retraining for a career after racing. Horses and their trainers may compete in one or two disciplines of their choice, including Barrel Racing, Competitive Trail, Dressage, Eventing, Field Hunter, Polo, Ranch Work, Show Hunter, Show Jumper, and Freestyle (a freeform discipline showcasing skills of the trainer's choosing).

Horses and trainers will compete for more than $100,000 in total prize money per competition year, plus the coveted title of Thoroughbred Makeover Champion at the Kentucky Horse Park on Oct. 12-17, 2021. The Thoroughbred Makeover and National Symposium includes not just the competition, but educational seminars, a vendor fair, the Makeover Marketplace horse sale, and the Makeover Master Class, featuring demonstrations and insight from leading trainers. The Finale features the top five horses in each discipline and will be live-streamed for viewers at home.

The Thoroughbred Makeover is open to professionals, amateurs, juniors (ages 12 and over), and teams. Applicants are required to provide information about their riding and competition background as well as references, including one from a veterinarian. Applicants are encouraged to provide links to riding video, which is a requirement for first-time competitors. Competitors do not need to have acquired their horse at the time of application, though they must register their horse no later than July 31, 2021.

Approved trainers may acquire eligible Thoroughbreds through whatever source they choose, or can ride under contract from an owner. Eligible horses must have raced or had a published work on or after July 1, 2019 and must not have started retraining for a second career prior to Dec. 1, 2020 other than a maximum of 15 allowable rides, intended to allow for trial rides. The 2021 Thoroughbred Makeover Rulebook outlines all rules and information relevant to the competition, with changes for 2021 marked in red and clarifying information marked in blue.

2020 Thoroughbred Makeover Fast Facts:

▪ 660 entries originally registered for the 2020 Thoroughbred Makeover have remained active for the “mega-Makeover,” whether they intend to compete in the 2020 competition group or roll their entry to the 2021 competition group
▪ Applications for the 2020 Thoroughbred Makeover are closed; however, new owners of a horse already registered for the 2020 Thoroughbred Makeover can apply to compete in the 2020 competition group
▪ 581 horses were registered for the 2020 competition group, leveraging approximately $4.6 million invested into their future in health care, training, etc. * An estimated $25.5 million has been invested in Makeover-bound horses by their Makeover trainers since 2013
▪ A total of 3,479 trainers have been accepted since 2013, hailing from 41 states and five Canadian provinces. 3,191 horses have been directly impacted by being registered to compete at the Makeover
▪ High-profile contenders in the 2020 competition group include five Breeders' Cup participants: Term of Art, Expedited Vision, Sheer Talent, Normandy Crossing, and Imperative; and two MGSWs: Imperative and Page McKenney

The post Trainer Applications Now Open For 2021 Thoroughbred Makeover appeared first on Horse Racing News | Paulick Report.

Source of original post

Verified by MonsterInsights