Arlington Million Could Move to Colonial Downs

Churchill Downs Inc. has requested permission from the American Graded Stakes Committee to move the GI Arlington Million S., the GI Beverly D. S. and the GI Secretariat S. to Colonial Downs. The three races were fixtures at Arlington Park before that track closed in 2021. Last year, the Million and the Beverly D. were run at Churchill Downs.

The 2023 races are slated to be run on Aug. 12.

In November, it was announced that Churchill had acquired the assets of Peninsula Pacific Entertainment LLC, the owners of Colonial Downs.

“Churchill has made a request and the committee will review it,” said  Andy Schweigardt, secretary for the American Graded Stakes Committee. “They hope to have a meeting before Christmas to make a decision.”

Approving Churchill's request may not be a formality. Schweigardt explained that in order for the committee to grant approval to a track to move a graded race a number of factors have to be taken into account.

“They have a rule that covers this that was instituted many years ago,” he said. “We consider moves on a case-by-case basis. The basic requirements are that the new venue has to be in the same region as the old racetrack and the name, conditions, calendar date and purse of the relocated race have to be substantially similar to previous years.”

When asked if Colonial in Virginia is in the same region as Churchill and Arlington,  Schweigardt said: “To me, no. But that's just me. The previous tracks would be considered to be in the Midwest. I'm not sure Virginia would be considered the Midwest.”

The 2022 Secretariat was not run because Churchill was having issues with its turf course at the time and track officials wanted to limit the number of races run over it.

Colonial's turf course is a mile-and-an-eighth in circumference and is the widest grass course in North America.

The post Arlington Million Could Move to Colonial Downs appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

Source of original post

Churchill Downs Unveils Derby Logo

Churchill Downs Racetrack has unveiled the official logo for the 149th running of the Kentucky Derby presented by Woodford Reserve, which takes place May 6, 2023.

Highlighted by the Kentucky Derby's color palette of red, black, gold and white, the Kentucky Derby 149 logo features diamonds intended to replicate the blocks in Secretariat's blue and white silks as this coming year marks the 50th anniversary of his Triple Crown victory. Meanwhile, the specific number of 13 diamonds is reverence to the number of Thoroughbreds that won all three races in the historic series. The diamonds are set within a shield that projects the achievements, heritage, longevity and stability of the Kentucky Derby, which dates back to 1875.

The logo, designed by New York-based marketing agency SME, will be used on a wide variety of Kentucky Derby official merchandise that will be available online, at Churchill Downs Racetrack, the Louisville Muhammad Ali International Airport, the Kentucky Derby Museum Gift Shop and other retail outlets.

The post Churchill Downs Unveils Derby Logo appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

Source of original post

Forte Eyes Fountain of Youth

Forte (Violence), the soon-to-be-named champion 2-year-old male of 2022, will kick off his 3-year-old campaign in the GII Fountain of Youth S. at Gulfstream, reports trainer Todd Pletcher. The Mar. 4 race will be his first since he won the GI Breeders' Cup Juvenile.

“I like the timing of the Fountain of Youth for his first race back,” Pletcher said in a text message.

Pletcher has won the Fountain of Youth three times. He said that after the Fountain of Youth he will look to run Forte in either the GI Blue Grass S. or the GI Florida Derby.

“I like the Grade I status of those races and the timing. As for the Blue Grass, he certainly seems to like the track at Keeneland,” Pletcher said.

In addition to the Breeders' Cup Juvenile, Forte won this year's GI Claiborne Breeders' Futurity at Keeneland.

At 10-1, Forte was made the individual betting favorite in the first round of the Derby Future Wager bet.

Owned by Repole Stable and St. Elias Stable, Forte was a $110,000 purchase at Keeneland September. After breaking his maiden at Belmont, he finished fourth in the GIII Sanford S. before winning the GI Hopeful S. Facing Cave Rock (Arrogate), who was sent off at 2-5, in the Juvenile, Forte bested the previously undefeated colt at 5-1.

The post Forte Eyes Fountain of Youth appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

Source of original post

Delaware Park Drive Helps Toys for Tots

Delaware Park Casino & Racing presented Toys for Tots with a check for $7,000 Dec. 14, which was made up of proceeds from unused slot vouchers and a large cash supplement from company. Along with this contribution were toys from a six-week collection period that were donated by guests, as well as 50 make-up kits and 50 basketballs that were purchased by Delaware Park. Ron Baumann, President and General Manager of Delaware Park Casino & Racing said, “In the spirit of the season, our guest participation has been exemplary this month. We are so happy to help spread holiday cheer to local children via these gifts.” This year marks the 75th Anniversary of the toy collection program.

The post Delaware Park Drive Helps Toys for Tots appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

Source of original post

Verified by MonsterInsights