CHRB Spat Erupts Over Ferndale’s Future

In the wake of a recent embezzlement arrest and a spate of resignations by Humboldt County Fair Association executives, California Horse Racing Board (CHRB) commissioner Thomas Hudnut on Thursday questioned whether or not the Northern California half-miler better known as Ferndale would be able to operate its traditional late-August race meet in 2023.

Jim Morgan, the legal counsel for the Humboldt County Fair, immediately provided assurances that Ferndale's racing would not be affected by the in-process criminal audit and management shakeup.

And another CHRB member, vice chair Oscar Gonzales, quickly leapt to Ferndale's defense, accusing Hudnut of delivering a “low blow” simply for making his query about the fair's level of financial and management fitness.

That testy exchange evolved out of a seemingly routine agenda item during the Dec. 15 monthly meeting.

Back in October, the CHRB voted in a 2023 race dates calendar for NorCal that largely mirrored the framework from the 2022 schedule.

The lone exception was that the board held off on a decision on whether Ferndale would once again have to run its second of two weeks of racing against overlapping competition from the commercial licensee Golden Gate Fields.

The CHRB was prepared to decide that issue on Thursday. But the license applicants jointly requested another month to try to reach a compromise so commissioners wouldn't have to impose one. A chief issue relates to stabling.

But since that last CHRB meeting, Ferndale police on Nov. 15 arrested the fair association's bookkeeper, Nina Tafarella, on charges of having embezzled from the fair and another nonprofit.

Then on Dec. 5, Rich Silacci, the fair association's general manager, abruptly resigned from his position. He claimed that his stepping down was unrelated to the embezzlement arrest, and that he had already made his decision beforehand based on being burned out from the job.

According to a Dec. 6 story in the California-based news outlet North Coast Journal, “the fair's books are currently being audited for evidence of embezzlement. Three long-time directors with the fair association have also stepped down in the last few weeks, leaving four open board positions.”

The Journal wrote that according to Silacci's final report to the board, auditors are still reviewing several years' worth of transactions, but the association's bank statements show a healthy balance of 'just over a million dollars,' which is close to or ahead of where the balance stood the prior year.

“Given the disarray at the Humboldt County Fair that we've read about in the press of late, is Humboldt County going to be able to mount a fair next summer?” Hudnut asked.

“Is it going to have sufficient personnel?” Hudnut continued. “And maybe should Humboldt take the year off from horse racing?”

Morgan replied, “The answer is, we'll handle the disarray. I'm not sure of the extent of the issue once it shakes out. Humboldt is committed to have a fair this year, next year, and every year.

“Members did resign, yes,” Morgan explained. “And the general manager, that position is going to be up for renewal with a new individual. But the fair is functional and they're ready to move forward.”

Hudnut said he trusts that next month Morgan will be able to back up those assurances with a more detailed plan for Ferndale's race meet, especially considering the board still has to vote on how to handle the potential dates overlap with Golden Gate.

“Until otherwise, I will be skeptical of Humboldt's ability to carry on effective racing next summer,” Hudnut said.

Gonzales then spoke up.

“I don't think it's all that fair to ask whether Humboldt is prepared to race,” Gonzales said. “Of course they're prepared to race. There's been some growing [pains].

“The TOC just had some turmoil in their organization not that long ago,” Gonzales continued, obliquely referencing the resignations earlier this year of both the Thoroughbred Owners of California president and a board member. “I don't see anybody asking whether the TOC is fit to represent.

“All organizations have some ups and downs. This is horse racing. And I don't appreciate those low blows there,” Gonzales said, directing his remarks to Hudnut.

“I resent that,” Hudnut retorted. “I don't think they're low blows when you ask legitimate questions about what's been in the press.”

Gonzales replied, “They're fit to race, and they just need some time to sort some things out. That's all.”

Chairman Gregory Ferraro, DVM, then stepped in to stem the spat.

“I don't think it's unreasonable to ask them to address the issues next month, to tell us what the status is,” Ferraro said, declaring that the discussion is to be placed on the January agenda.

In conclusion, Morgan underscored that “Humboldt's clearly addressing the issues and resolving them. And I'm optimistic that we will solve it, and be a participant with live racing for many years to come.”

The post CHRB Spat Erupts Over Ferndale’s Future appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

Source of original post

Louis Cella Joins the TDN Writers’ Room Podcast

Another Oaklawn meet is underway and with the Arkansas track offering the highest purse structure in the country during the winter months, expectations are that it will be another banner season in Hot Springs. To discuss the Oaklawn season, the TDN Writers' Room podcast presented by Keeneland called upon track president Louis Cella to explain why Oaklawn has become such a phenomenon. Cella was this week's Green Group Guest of the Week.

“It's because we don't charge $12 for a beer,” Cella said when asked how Oaklawn continues to draw such big crowds. “We just gave away six tons of corned beef, two sandwiches and a Coke for a dollar last Saturday. To put that in perspective, we had thunderstorms and rolling electric blackouts all day Saturday. Yet we had close to 15,000 people giving away six tons of corned beef because that's their expectation. That's what they want to do. It's all part of having fun. It's part of the excitement of what we offer. We continually focus on affordability and the $2 bettor and more importantly, family.”

Cella has made some changes since taking over as track president in 2017, including the building of a hotel on track grounds. Another is a longer meet. For this meet, Oaklawn will be open from Dec. 9 through May 6. Cella said the extended season has been a success.

“It is working,” he said. “More importantly, our horsemen seem to love it. It fills in a gap. Equally important is that the city of Hot Springs and our community love it.”

And when it comes to the question that always seems to come up whenever Oaklawn is involved…

“I get asked that all the time, when are you going to put in a turf course?” Cella said. “We're not going to put in a turf course. The time of year that we run, call it December to April to May, means we might have to start turf racing in April. It's just not conducive for us.”

Elsewhere on the podcast, which is also sponsored by Coolmore, the Pennsylvania Horse Breeders Association, XBTV and West Point Thoroughbreds, Zoe Cadman, Randy Moss and Bill Finley discussed the latest chapter of the Jason Servis story. Servis is facing four years in prison, which Finley said would be a surprisingly light sentence considering that Jorge Navarro got five years. Other subjects included the announcement by the Federal Trade Commission that the Horseracing Integrity and Safety Authority cannot go ahead with plans to start its anti-doping and medication control (ADMC) program on Jan. 1 and the suspension handed down by the New York Gaming Commission to NYRA clocker Rich Gazer for changing the distance of a workout. Moss called Gazer's suspension “an absolute joke.”

In on-the-track news, the crew took a look back at the win by Faiza (Girvin) in the GI Starlet S. at Los Alamitos and looked ahead to this weekend's action, which includes the GII Los Alamitos Futurity and the Springboard Mile at Remington Park.

The post Louis Cella Joins the TDN Writers’ Room Podcast appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

Source of original post

TAA Board of Directors Elects Six New Members

The Thoroughbred Aftercare Alliance (TAA) Board of Directors voted at its meeting Dec. 14 to add six new directors in 2023. For a second consecutive year, Jeffrey Bloom, managing partner of Bloom Racing Stable, will serve as president of the TAA.

The directors beginning service in 2023 are: Price Bell, general manager of Mill Ridge Farm; Dr. Bonnie Comerford, DVM, veterinarian at Tiegland, Franklin, & Brokken; Joe De Francis, HISA director and managing partner of Gainesville Associates LLC; Georganne Hale–returning for a second term–vice president of racing development of Maryland Jockey Club; Ric Waldman, president of Ric Waldman Thoroughbred Consulting, Inc, Kentucky Thoroughbred Association member; Mark Simendinger, former development manager and general manager of Kentucky Speedway, former member of Kentucky Horse Racing Commission, and former president of Turfway Park.

They join current TAA Directors: Bloom, Madeline Auerbach, Craig Bandoroff, Laura Barillaro, Dr. Jeffrey Berk, Simon Bray, Donna Brothers, Boyd Browning, Aidan Butler, Tom Cannell, Jack Damico, Terry Finley, Melissa Hicks, John Keitt, Chip McGaughey, Josh Rubenstein, Richard Schosberg, Tom Ventura.

TAA directors may serve up to five consecutive years and after five years are required to rotate off the board for a minimum of two years before being eligible for renomination. However, directors are still eligible to serve on TAA committees. James G. Bell, former president and racing manager of Godolphin, served as TAA president in 2014, 2021, and remained on the TAA's board and executive committee for 2022 as immediate past president. After devoting five years of their time, expertise, and resources, Bell, Walt Robertson, Susie Hart, and Nicole Walker will rotate off the TAA Board of Directors come January 2023.

Bloom is joined on the executive committee by TAA Vice Presidents Craig Bandoroff, owner of Denali Stud and Madeline Auerbach, founding board member of the TAA, founder of the California Retirement Management Account (CARMA), and a Thoroughbred owner and breeder; TAA Treasurer Melissa Hicks, director of tax services at Dean Dorton; TAA Secretary Walter Robertson, attorney at Stites & Harbison; Aidan Butler, chief operating officer of 1/ST Racing and president of 1/ST Content; Terry Finley, founder and chief executive officer of West Point Thoroughbreds

The post TAA Board of Directors Elects Six New Members appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

Source of original post

TERF Awards $4,000 to MidAtlantic Horse Rescue

The Thoroughbred Education and Research Foundation (TERF) has awarded award $4,000 to the MidAtlantic Horse Rescue Inc. (MAHR) for educational purposes. MAHR's mission is to rescue Thoroughbreds from feed lots and kill pens and transition horses directly off the track. After quarantine and careful evaluation, horses are adopted into loving homes as sport horses and pets.

MAHR plans to continue their Thoroughbred-only clinic series at the farm with well-known professionals. These clinics are free for MAHR graduates and low cost for all other Thoroughbreds. This gives incentives to adopters to adopt a Thoroughbred from MAHR, as well as giving MAHR the opportunity to see adopted horses and their new owners on a regular basis. It also spotlights the many wonderful qualities of Thoroughbreds as sport horses.

To learn more about the Thoroughbred Education and Research Foundation and/or make a tax-deductible donation to support TERF's mission and programs, visit www.terfusa.org.

The post TERF Awards $4,000 to MidAtlantic Horse Rescue appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

Source of original post

Verified by MonsterInsights