Claiborne Acquires Breeding Rights to Met Mile Winner Silver State

Claiborne Farm has acquired the breeding rights to multiple graded stakes winner Silver State (Hard Spun–Supreme, by Empire Maker). He will stand at the Paris, Ky., farm upon his retirement from racing.

The 4-year-old son of Hard Spun has won seven of 13 career starts, hitting the board in 12 of those starts, and has made over $1.9 million. In 2021 alone, he is 4-1-1 from six starts and has made over $1.6 million.

“We are very excited to stand Silver State in 2022,” said Claiborne's Walker Hancock. “Danzig is one of the legends of Claiborne, and we anticipate his legacy continuing through his grandson, Silver State.”

Silver State is being pointed toward this year's GI Breeders' Cup Dirt Mile at Del Mar Nov. 6, after earning a “Win and You're In” berth by winning the GI Metropolitan H. this June. In the stallion-making Met Mile, he defeated three Grade I winners, including Knicks Go (Paynter), a four-time Grade I winner who has captured the Breeders' Cup Dirt Mile and GI Pegasus World Cup Invitational S.

The highlight of his career thus far is a six-race winning streak spanning 2020 and 2021, which included wins in the listed Fifth Season S. and Essex S. at Oaklawn Park, the GII Oaklawn H. and culminating in his signature Met Mile triumph at Belmont.

“He's a tremendous physical,” said trainer Steve Asmussen. “Everyone that's been around this horse is struck by his presence. He really must be seen to be believed.”

Ron Winchell of Winchell Thoroughbreds, who co-owns Silver State with Willis Horton Racing, added, “For any horse to win six races in a row, especially when those victories included races as well-regarded as the Oaklawn H. and Met Mile, is pretty incredible and puts him in a special category. Looking ahead to his stud career, we couldn't be more excited about Silver State finding a home at Claiborne. We're looking forward to supporting him with our mares and can't wait to see his offspring.”

A product of the vaunted Stonestreet Farm breeding program, Silver State is out of the Grade III-placed stakes-winning Empire Maker mare Supreme, and he hails from the family of GI Kentucky Derby winner Monarchos. He sold for $450,000 as a yearling at the 2018 Keeneland September sale.

An advertised stud fee will be announced at a later date.

The post Claiborne Acquires Breeding Rights to Met Mile Winner Silver State appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

Source of original post

Japanese Trainer Mori Sending Quartet To Breeders’ Cup

Trainer Hideyuki Mori will send four Japanese-based American-bred horses under his care to the Breeders' Cup, according to the Daily Sports newspaper, including 2-year-old colt Jasper Great (Arrogate), who became the first Japanese winner for his late sire (by Unbridled's Song) with a victory over the past weekend.

Mori has become an active buyer at American bloodstock sales and acquired Jasper Great for $200,000 at last year's Fasig-Tipton Selected Yearling Showcase. The half-brother to GISW Power Broker (Pulpit) and SW Fierce Boots (Tiznow) was sent off at debut odds of 6-1 in an 1800-meter newcomers' event at Hanshin Oct. 9 and made all the running en route to a 10-length victory. He goes in the GI Breeders' Cup Juvenile.

WATCH: Jasper Great airs on debut

 

Owner Kazuo Kato, who campaigns the 'Jasper' horses, is also set to be represented by 6-year-old Jasper Prince (Violence), a $60,000 Keeneland September yearling turned $100,000 OBS March breezer who would be making his second appearance at the Breeders' Cup. The bay argued the early pace in last year's GI Breeders' Cup Sprint at Keeneland before giving way at longshot odds. Jasper Prince most recently resumed from a May layoff to defend his title in the seven-furlong Listed Enif S. at Chukyo Sept. 11 and is a candidate for the GI Breeders' Cup Dirt Mile.

Pingxiang (Speightstown), a $100,000 KEESEP graduate, was pre-entered for, but failed to draw into the field for last year's Sprint. The 4-year-old, winner of allowance events over seven furlongs at Tokyo in April and at Hanshin in July, could join Jasper Prince in the Dirt Mile.

Matera Sky (Speightstown) is ticketed for the Sprint, a race in which he finished eighth behind Mitole (Eskendereya) at Santa Anita in 2019. A $140,000 KEENOV weanling and $350,000 KEESEP yearling, the veteran would be making his seventh overseas start at Del Mar and has proven his mettle when pitched in against international competition. Runner-up to X Y Jet (Kantharos) after setting the pace in the 2019 G1 Dubai Golden Shaheen, the chestnut has finished second in both runnings of the valuable Saudi Sprint, going down by a neck to New York Central (Tapit) after appearing home free in the inaugural renewal in 2020 before being run down by Japanese-based Copano Kicking (Spring At Last) this past February.

Also expected to make the trip from Japan are Loves Only You (Jpn) (Deep Impact {Jpn}), the 2019 G1 Yushun Himba (Japanese Oaks) and this year's G1 FWD QE II S. winner, for the Filly & Mare Turf; and Marche Lorraine (Jpn) (Orfevre {Jpn}) for the Distaff. Both are trained by Yoshito Yahagi.

According to reports, the horses will enter the export quarantine Oct. 21 and are scheduled to depart Tokyo's Narita Airport Oct. 29.

The post Japanese Trainer Mori Sending Quartet To Breeders’ Cup appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

Source of original post

Flurry of Legal Filings, Familiar Arguments in Baffert vs. NYRA Case

Both plaintiff Bob Baffert and defendant the New York Racing Association (NYRA) traded volleys of legal filings that were posted electronically just before 6 p.m. Tuesday. They all relate to Baffert's ongoing quest to fight NYRA's attempts to either banish him outright or to give him a hearing that would adjudicate the “detrimental conduct” charges NYRA has levied against Baffert over the repeated equine drug positives in his trainees.

NYRA on Oct. 12 filed a memorandum of law in support of its earlier motion to dismiss Counts I, III, IV and V of Baffert's federal lawsuit against NYRA. That civil complaint was initiated when NYRA tried to exclude Baffert from racing or stabling at its three tracks without any hearing process back on May 17.

“NYRA moves to dismiss all counts except Plaintiff's [civil action for deprivation of rights] claim. Counts I, III, IV and V of the Complaint fail to meet the applicable pleading requirements and, as such, should be dismissed as a matter of law,” NYRA stated in its filing in United States District Court (Eastern District of New York).

The filing continued: “First, this Court should dismiss Plaintiff's tortious interference with business relations claim because Plaintiff fails to allege either that NYRA directed conduct at any entity or individual other than himself or any specific business relationships with which NYRA purposefully interfered.

“Second, under the New York Court of Appeals' decision in Saumell v. New York Racing Association, Inc., Plaintiff's claim alleging a violation of New York law fails because NYRA acted upon its common law right of exclusion in suspending Plaintiff and because NYRA is not bound by the New York State Gaming Commission's hearing procedures when excluding a licensee from the Racetracks.

“Third, Plaintiff's claims for injunctive and declaratory relief likewise fail because they constitute remedies, not independent causes of action,” NYRA's filing stated.

Baffert's legal team rebutted those points in its own Oct. 12 filing, then launched into a separate argument about the exclusion hearing process that NYRA created to give Baffert a chance to present his own evidence and dispute the reasons that NYRA wants to bar him (Baffert is currently allowed to race at NYRA tracks because a judge ruled in his favor with a July 14 preliminary injunction).

“Rather than accepting this Court's Order and its defeat, NYRA has chosen to double down,” Baffert's filing contended.

“First, NYRA has filed the current meritless Motion to Dismiss. Second, NYRA sent Baffert another letter Sept. 10, 2021, which claimed that NYRA intended to once again suspend Baffert for the exact same conduct that it previously attempted to suspend him.”

Baffert's filing continued: “In an effort to circumvent this Court's injunction Order, NYRA claims its latest attempt to suspend is “new.” In reality, there is nothing “new” about it as it is based on the same conduct and reasoning. The only thing different is that NYRA has now created 'Hearing Rules and Procedures' out of whole cloth in attempt to retroactively instill legitimacy to its blatantly unlawful actions.

“These rules and procedures state that NYRA can appoint its own hearing officer, render whatever decision it deems appropriate, and deny Baffert any right to appeal. In other words, in response to this Court's ruling that it acted unlawfully, NYRA has decided to engage in even more unlawful activity. NYRA's recent actions make it highly likely that Baffert will suffer additional injuries to his business and reputation,” Baffert's filing stated.

NYRA wasn't through yet with the legal filings on Tuesday. In its response to Baffert's response, it fired back with another memorandum, this one in “further” support of its own motion to dismiss.

NYRA's second filing on Tuesday urged the court to “reject” Baffert's “novel” theory about tortious interference. It also stated that Baffert “mischaracterizes New York law” and that his argument “ignored the weight of authority” with regard to injunctive and declaratory relief.”

The post Flurry of Legal Filings, Familiar Arguments in Baffert vs. NYRA Case appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

Source of original post

Midnight Storm Colt on Top at OBS October Selected Yearling Sale

A colt from the second crop of MGISW Midnight Storm (Pioneerof the Nile) (Hip 67) topped the Selected Yearling portion of the OBS October Sale when bringing $170,000 from Elusive Thoroughbreds. That entity was the session's leading buyer, taking home three head for $323,000.

Consigned by Lisa McGreevy's Abbie Road Farm, Hip 67 was bred in Pennsylvania by Mary Katherine Haire. Alejandro Chavez purchased the colt for $27,000 at Keeneland November last year.

The highest-priced filly of the day was a $120,000 daughter of Kantharos (Hip 22). Offered by Danielle Loya's Silver Oaks Farm, the IN-bred was purchased by Al London.

A total of 99 yearling grossed $4,498,500 with an average of $45,439 and median of $32,000. Thirty-five horses were led from the ring unsold. Stuart Morris was the top consignor, selling 16 yearlings for $665,000.

Last year during this session, 86 youngsters summoned $3,397,000 with an average of $39,500 and median of $28,000. There were 49 RNAs.

“It was a good day,” said Tod Wojciechowski, OBS's Director of Sales. “Average is up, median is up. It seemed like the buyers were spread over a lot of horses. It was not as concentrated at the top. Horses sold well throughout the day. It was a solid start to the sale.”

The OBS October Sale continues tomorrow with the Open Yearlings session, starting at 11 a.m.

The post Midnight Storm Colt on Top at OBS October Selected Yearling Sale appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

Source of original post

Verified by MonsterInsights