Gun Runner Season To Benefit Tornado-Ravaged Western KY

A no-guarantee season to record-setting first-crop sire Gun Runner will be auctioned off at the conclusion of the opening session of next month's Keeneland January Sale Jan. 10, with all proceeds to benefit victims of deadly tornadoes that struck Western Kentucky earlier this month.

“It is unimaginable the damage and suffering wreaked upon so many of the communities and good people of Western Kentucky,” said Three Chimneys Chairman Goncalo Torrealba. “Three Chimneys, our partner Ron Winchell, and the entire Thoroughbred horse industry share the grief of those whose lives have been impacted and this is a way we felt we could directly help.”

The price of the nomination is expected to exceed $100,000. Three Chimneys and Kentucky Downs will add an additional $100,000 for a total of at least $200,000.

Ron Winchell, who owns Kentucky Downs and who campaigned Gun Runner, added, “With Kentucky Downs and Three Chimneys additional donations, it shows the commitment the racing industry has to those affected by the devastation in Western Kentucky.”

All proceeds will go directly to local communities in the affected counties. Inquiries may be directed to the Three Chimneys' farm office at (859) 873-7053 or to the Keeneland sales office for those interested in phone or online bidding on the season.

The post Gun Runner Season To Benefit Tornado-Ravaged Western KY appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

Source of original post

MTA To Host Online Stallion Season Auction

The Minnesota Thoroughbred Association (MTA) will conduct its 2022 Stallion Season Auction from Jan. 3, 2022 through Jan. 10, 2022, at www.thoroughlybred.com. The auction will include seasons to more than 50 premier stallions from Kentucky, Florida, Texas, Oklahoma and Minnesota. A $1,000 incentive is being offered from the Minnesota Breeders' Fund. Any breeder who purchases a season through the auction and foals in the state will receive a check for $1,000 when the foal is registered with the Minnesota Racing Commission in 2023.

“As we look forward to 2022, organizers at the Minnesota Thoroughbred Association are excited to provide breeders with these premier stallion seasons to bid on,” said Kay King, Executive Director of the MTA. “Our partner stallion farms have been wonderful to work with and we encourage breeders to support these farms that help support regional programs like ours.”

Bids will be placed on a rolling basis for all seven days of the sale. Seasons can be searched by state or name on the website. New stallion seasons may continue to be added through the duration of the sale.

For additional information, visit minnesotabred.com.

The post MTA To Host Online Stallion Season Auction appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

Source of original post

Santa Anita Cancels Dec. 30 Racing

Officials at Santa Anita Park have made the proactive decision to cancel the program scheduled for this Thursday, Dec. 30, given a weather forecast that calls for additional significant rainfall in and around the track. The two turf races scheduled for Sunday's opening day card–the GI American Oaks and GII Santa Anita Mathis Brothers Mile S. and GIII San Gabriel S.–were transferred to the main track owing to the underfoot conditions. Racing will continue Friday, Dec. 31.

The three turf stakes scheduled for Friday have been pushed back to the weekend with a more favorable weather pattern expected. The GIII Robert J. Frankel S. will now be run Saturday, Jan. 1, while the Eddie Logan S. and Blue Norther S. for 2-year-old males and fillies, respectively, will take place Sunday, Jan. 2.

Saturday's card also features the GII Joe Hernandez S., the GIII Sham S. and the GIII La Canada S. In addition to the transferred juvenile stakes, Sunday's program also includes the $75,000 Kalookan Queen S.

The post Santa Anita Cancels Dec. 30 Racing appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

Source of original post

Reagan Makes the Right Decision

Two years ago, 8-year-old Reagan Ingordo purchased a weanling daughter of Unified for $25,000 at the Keeneland November sale. The filly rewarded her young buyer when winning her career debut at Fair Grounds Sunday, but Reagan wasn't the only winner when Reagan's Decision (Unified) crossed the wire first in New Orleans. Before the race, trainer (and stepmom) Cherie DeVaux tweeted out that any purse earnings from the race would be donated to relief efforts following the devastating tornadoes in Western Kentucky.

Visiting Reagan's Decision on the Fair Grounds backstretch Monday morning, Reagan explained why she was donating to the recovery efforts.

“We wanted to give back to the people who lost their homes,” she explained. “It's good to help community. We might all need help some day.”

Reagan is the daughter of David Ingordo and, when asked what she liked about Reagan's Decision as a weanling, she sounded much like her bloodstock agent dad.

“She was very balanced and very athletic,” Reagan explained. Before the sparkling 10-year-old came out and she added with a laugh, “And she was cute.”

Asked what advice her father gave her when shopping at the sales, Reagan said, “He taught me to make sure they have good feet and good parents.”

Reagan's Decision was a lightly regarded 18-1 longshot when she went to the post at Fair Grounds Sunday, but her owner had plenty of confidence in the juvenile filly.

“She was training really well into the race, so I thought she would win,” Reagan said. “And also because she's fast.”

Reagan's Decision proved to be not only fast, but also scrappy as she struggled to find racing room down the stretch before tipping out to the center of the course and closing stoutly to just get her head in front on the wire (video).

Reagan admitted to some nerves as her filly weaved through traffic, but ultimately, “I was really happy and excited,” she said.

Reagan reported Reagan's Decision looked to be in fine shape Monday morning.

“She looks good this morning,” Reagan said. “She will go in an allowance race next.”

The post Reagan Makes the Right Decision appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

Source of original post

Verified by MonsterInsights