Maryland 2-Year-Old Racing Set To Commence With Lasix

The Maryland Administrative, Executive and Legislative Review Committee Aug. 2 said it has approved the Maryland Racing Commission's emergency regulation on use of race-day Lasix in 2-year-olds, a decision that will facilitate the carding of races for 2-year-olds at Laurel Park.

No 2-year-old races have been run in Maryland so far this year. There are no such races in the current Laurel condition book, which runs through Aug. 22, so the races will be listed as extras on overnights. Maryland Jockey Club President Sal Sinatra said that there will be two late breaking extras for Friday, August 7th: X7 Lasix-free 2-year-old MSW five furlongs; X8 Lasix-free Filly 2-year-old MSW five furlongs.

The MRC on July 16 approved—subject to adoption of an emergency rule—an agreement between the Maryland Thoroughbred Horsemen's Association and The Stronach Group/Maryland Jockey Club for a Lasix-free pilot program through 2023. The pilot program was subject to the approval by the AELR Committee of the revised Lasix regulation, which states that no 2-year-old can be administered Lasix within 48 hours of a race; the remainder of the regulation will not be changed.

In a related matter, the MRC Equine Safety, Health and Welfare Advisory Committee July 31 authorized a veterinary survey study of all 2-year-olds that race in Maryland through Dec. 31 of this year. The objective, as directed by the MRC, is to track the incidence of exercise-induced pulmonary hemorrhage in 2-year-olds racing without Lasix.

Under the survey study, veterinarians will take video endoscopies of all starters in 2-year-old races through Dec. 31, 2020. The MRC emergency regulation was approved for the standard six-month period—July 31, 2020, through Jan. 26, 2021.

The post Maryland 2-Year-Old Racing Set To Commence With Lasix appeared first on Horse Racing News | Paulick Report.

Source of original post

Louisiana Downs Bumps Overnight Purses, Cup Day Scheduled For Sept. 19

Harrah's Louisiana Downs is pleased to announce that overnight purses will be increased by $1,500 for the remainder of the 2020 Thoroughbred meet. The adjustment will go into effect on Saturday, Aug. 8 and will continue through the conclusion of the racing season on Wednesday, Sept. 23.

“We thank our local horsemen for their support since the live racing season began on June 6,” said David Heitzmann, Director of Racing at Harrah's Louisiana Downs. “This has been a very challenging year due to COVID-19, so we are pleased to reward these hard working men and women with a purse increase of $1,500 across the board.”

Further good news is that Louisiana Cup Day will be held at Harrah's Louisiana Downs on Saturday, Sept. 19. The annual day of racing, which traditionally takes place in August, showcases accredited Louisiana-bred Thoroughbreds. Due to the uncertainty caused by the pandemic, the event was put on hold, but Roger Heitzmann, Executive Director of the Louisiana Thoroughbred Breeders Association (LTBA); Ed Fenasci, Executive Director of the HBPA and David Heitzmann, director of Racing at Harrah's Louisiana Downs, have worked diligently to put the annual stakes day back on the calendar. On June 16, the LTBA Board of Directors voted to earmark $100,000 for Louisiana Cup Day.

“We are grateful to LTBA for allocating the funds so we can run Louisiana Cup Day once again this year,” added Heitzmann. “This is a very important day for our breeders, horsemen, and of course, the fans at Harrah's Louisiana Downs.”

Louisiana Cup Day Featured Stakes

$40,000 Louisiana Cup Juvenile 2 YO LA-Bred Six furlongs

$40,000 Louisiana Cup Juvenile Fillies 2 YO Fillies LA-Bred Six furlongs

$40,000 Louisiana Cup Filly & Mare Sprint 3 YO & Up F&M, LA-Bred Six furlongs

$40,000 Louisiana Cup Sprint 3 YO & Up LA-Bred Six furlongs

$40,000 Louisiana Cup Turf Classic 3 YO & Up LA-Bred 1 1/16 miles (T)

$40,000 Louisiana Distaff 3 YO & Up F & M LA-Bred 1 1/16 miles (T)

The post Louisiana Downs Bumps Overnight Purses, Cup Day Scheduled For Sept. 19 appeared first on Horse Racing News | Paulick Report.

Source of original post

Lasix-Free Races May Begin Friday In Maryland After Emergency Regulations Approved

The Maryland Administrative, Executive and Legislative Review Committee Aug. 2 said it has approved the Maryland Racing Commission's emergency regulation on use of race-day Lasix in 2-year-olds, a decision that will facilitate the carding of races for 2-year-olds at Laurel Park.

No 2-year-old races have been run in Maryland so far this year. There are no such races in the current Laurel condition book, which runs through Aug. 22, so the races will be listed as extras on overnights. Maryland Jockey Club President Sal Sinatra said that there will be two late breaking extras for Friday, August 7th: X7 Lasix-free 2-year-old MSW five furlongs; X8 Lasix-free Filly 2-year-old MSW five furlongs.

The MRC on July 16 approved—subject to adoption of an emergency rule—an agreement between the Maryland Thoroughbred Horsemen's Association and The Stronach Group/Maryland Jockey Club for a Lasix-free pilot program through 2023. The pilot program was subject to the approval by the AELR Committee of the revised Lasix regulation, which states that no 2-year-old can be administered Lasix within 48 hours of a race; the remainder of the regulation will not be changed.

In a related matter, the MRC Equine Safety, Health and Welfare Advisory Committee July 31 authorized a veterinary survey study of all 2-year-olds that race in Maryland through Dec. 31 of this year. The objective, as directed by the MRC, is to track the incidence of exercise-induced pulmonary hemorrhage in 2-year-olds racing without Lasix.

Under the survey study, veterinarians will take video endoscopies of all starters in 2-year-old races through Dec. 31, 2020. The MRC emergency regulation was approved for the standard six-month period—July 31, 2020, through Jan. 26, 2021.

The post Lasix-Free Races May Begin Friday In Maryland After Emergency Regulations Approved appeared first on Horse Racing News | Paulick Report.

Source of original post

Record $35.8 Million Wagered On Whitney Day Card At Saratoga

Saturday's 12-race Whitney Day card, featuring four graded stakes and highlighted by Improbable's victory in the 93rd running of the Grade 1, $750,000 Whitney, generated an all-sources handle record of $35,796,435, eclipsing the previous Whitney Day record of $31,835,863 set in 2019.

2019 Whitney Day, which was held on August 3, saw paid attendance of 40,791 with fans on the grounds of Saratoga wagering $4,658,622.

Live racing resumes at the Spa on Sunday at 1:10 p.m. ET with a 10-race card highlighted by the $100,000 Birdstone for 4-year-olds and up going 1 3/4 miles on the dirt.

Saratoga Live presents daily television coverage of the 40-day summer meet on FOX Sports and MSG Networks. For the complete Saratoga Live broadcast schedule, and additional programming information, visit nyra.com/saratoga/racing/tv-schedule

NYRA Bets is the official wagering platform of Saratoga Race Course, and the best way to bet every race of the 40-day summer meet. Available to horseplayers nationwide, NYRA Bets is currently offering a $200 new member bonus in addition to a host of special weekly offers. The NYRA Bets app is available for download today on iOS and Android at NYRABets.com.

The 2020 summer meet at Saratoga Race Course continues through Labor Day, Monday, September 7. Racing at Saratoga is conducted five days a week, Wednesdays through Sundays. Closing week will run Wednesday, September 2 through Labor Day, Monday, September 7.

Under New York state guidelines, Saratoga Race Course is currently operating without spectators in attendance.

For more information about Saratoga Race Course, visit NYRA.com

The post Record $35.8 Million Wagered On Whitney Day Card At Saratoga appeared first on Horse Racing News | Paulick Report.

Source of original post

Verified by MonsterInsights