NYRA CEO Dave O’Rourke Talks Winterizing Belmont On Writers’ Room

It was announced last week that in order to properly renovate and reimagine Belmont Park for 2023 and beyond, the New York Racing Association would be shifting this year's fall meet at Belmont to Aqueduct, and Wednesday, NYRA CEO Dave O'Rourke joined the TDN Writers' Room presented by Keeneland as the Green Group Guest of the Week to discuss the process and future ramifications of this major capital investment in Big Sandy.

O'Rourke said that the main objective of the construction project is the building of two major tunnels to provide access to the Belmont infield, a massive expanse of land that has thus far gone unutilized. The tunnels, he said, will open up the possibility of hosting fans in the infield for major events like the Belmont Stakes Racing Festival, but he added that the renovation will also pave the way for reconstruction of the Belmont dirt and turf courses and the installation of a synthetic track for winter racing. O'Rourke expounded on the importance of winterizing Belmont, as the plan is to consolidate racing operations at the track in the near future, shuttering Aqueduct, and also said this project is being undertaken at least in part to bring the Breeders' Cup back to Belmont, which last hosted the World Championships 17 years ago, in 2005.

Elsewhere on the show, which is also sponsored by Coolmore, Lane's End, XBTV, the Kentucky Thoroughbred Owners and Breeders, West Point Thoroughbreds and Legacy Bloodstock, the writers talked about the races for champion 3-year-old and Horse of the Year heating up, how 'TDN Rising Star' designations are made and the latest HISA legal back-and-forth. Click here to watch the show; click here for the audio-only version or find it on Apple Podcasts or Spotify.

The post NYRA CEO Dave O’Rourke Talks Winterizing Belmont On Writers’ Room appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

Source of original post

Fourstardave Handicapping Challenge Registration Open

Registration for the Fourstardave Handicapping Challenge scheduled for Saturday, Aug. 13 at Saratoga officially opened July 29, announced officials at NYRA. Participants may register through Friday, Aug. 12 at 5 p.m. ET on the official webpage with an option to either play online via NYRA Bets or on-track at Saratoga, where seating and lunch is included as part of the entry fee.

The contest will run in conjunction with the 38th running of the one-mile GI $500,000 Fourstardave H. over the inner turf, a “Win and You're In” qualifier for the GI Breeders' Cup Mile in November at Keeneland. The live-money contest features a $3,000 Entry Fee [$2,000 in Live Money Wagers/$1,000 to Prize Pool], contributing to a prize pool that NYRA is seeding with an additional $5,000. Also on offer for the winner is one seat to an upcoming $3,000 NYRA Challenge event. Players must wager $400 on at least five races during the Aug. 13 card at Saratoga, and can place win, place, show, trifecta, quinella and daily double wagers.

The post Fourstardave Handicapping Challenge Registration Open appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

Source of original post

Belmont Park Fall Meet to be Held at Aqueduct Racetrack

The traditional fall meet at Belmont will instead be held at Aqueduct and kick off Sept. 15, the New York Racing Association announced Thursday. It is anticipated that racing will return to Belmont for the 2023 spring meet.

The switch to Aqueduct will allow NYRA to undertake the first phases of what could be a major renovation of Belmont Park. Tunnels have been constructed at Belmont that will give construction vehicles access to the infield. The tunnels will also pave the way for pedestrians to have access to the infield. According to a statement issued by NYRA, “the tunnels will serve as a conduit to the infield for commercial vehicles allowing NYRA to completely reconstruct the Belmont main track and its two turf courses.” In addition, the tunnels will provide NYRA with an opportunity “to consider the installation of a synthetic track in the future.”

NYRA officials have spoken often in recent years about a desire to make significant changes at Belmont, including ones that could make it feasible to some day close Aqueduct. That could include a rebuild of the massive grandstand, which would make Belmont a better fit to host the Breeders' Cup, which has not been run in New York since 2005.

“This investment in the future of Belmont Park will transform our racing operations and pave the way for a broader re-imagining of the facility,” Dave O'Rourke, NYRA President & CEO, said in a statement. “The shift to Aqueduct this fall will minimize the overall impact on the racing schedule, and ensure continuity for the Belmont spring/summer meet and Belmont S. presented by NYRA Bets. We appreciate the patience of our horsemen and fans as we enter this period of transition at Belmont, and look forward to an exciting fall at the Big A.”

According to NYRA spokesperson Pat McKenna, the current circumferences of the Belmont racing surfaces will not be changed.

The construction project will result in the closing of the main track and the turf courses at Belmont for training, starting with the conclusion of training on Aug. 7. Those tracks won't reopen until April of 2023. After a brief shutdown, the Belmont training track will re-open on Aug. 8 and will be the only outlet for regular training activities. Construction on the Belmont courses will begin following the conclusion of the 2023 Belmont Park spring/summer meet.

The New York Thoroughbred Horsemen's Association (NYTHA) President Joe Appelbaum expressed his support for the project in the NYRA statement.

“NYTHA membership recognize the importance of modernizing Belmont Park and look forward to competing at a world-class Thoroughbred racing venue,” said Appelbaum. “We will continue to work closely with NYRA to reduce any burdens on horsemen created by the temporary closure of the main track at Belmont.”

Trainer Christophe Clement had mixed feelings about the impending changes.

“They are going to make Belmont Park even better, so this is exciting when you consider the future,” he said. “I think they are going to create an amazing Belmont Park when they are done.”

But Clement is not looking forward to what will be a major disruption to his training routines.

“This is very depressing because a guy like me trains mostly on the main track at Belmont and I work a lot of horses every weekend on the turf,” he said. “I adore Belmont Park as a racetrack, to race at and to train at. But I will have to adapt. That's just the way it is. We were aware of this. NYRA has been talking to us about this for about six months. We're just going to have to adjust.”

The Belmont-at-Aqueduct meet will run through Oct. 30 and will include 41 stakes races worth $9.9 million. The stakes season at Belmont-at-the-Big A will commence on Sept. 17 with the running of the $1-million GIII Jockey Club Derby and the $700,000 GIII Jockey Club Oaks. The Oct. 1 card will consist of four stakes, including the GI Woodward S. and the GI Champagne S. The Oct. 8 card will include the GI Joe Hirsch Turf Classic and the GII Vosburgh, which has been shifted from six furlongs to seven furlongs. Six stakes were cut from the schedule, but none are graded stakes. The GII Kelso H., traditionally a prep for the GI Breeders' Cup Dirt Mile, has been shifted from late September to Oct. 29.

The good news for horsemen is that the Belmont-at-Aqueduct meet will offer significant purse increases with a particular focus on adding value to conditions impacting the broadest group of owners and trainers. Open allowance races will be run for six-figure purses while all claiming categories, New York-bred, and maiden races will enjoy purse enhancements. NYRA will also introduce a new bonus program to further reward horsemen for competing at the fall meet. The bonus will pay $500 to the owner and $500 to the trainer of any horse finishing outside of the top three in his/her first fall start provided the most recent start was during the 2022 summer meet at Saratoga Race Course. Stakes races at Aqueduct do not qualify for the Belmont at the Big A bonus.

The capital improvement project will also include the installation of a synthetic Tapeta track on the quarter-mile Belmont “pony track.”

From 1963 through 1967, racing moved to Aqueduct after the Saratoga meet concluded as Belmont Park was being rebuilt.

The post Belmont Park Fall Meet to be Held at Aqueduct Racetrack appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

Source of original post

From the TIF: New York Wagering Rules Ignored in Saratoga Pick 5 Fiasco

by the Thoroughbred Idea Foundation

The rule seems clear.

What is also clear is that the rule, as written, was ignored on Thursday, July 21 at Saratoga, though by which party is unknown at present.

“On behalf of aggrieved horseplayers who were impacted by the decision last Thursday, and all future players of multi-race bets in New York, we felt it necessary to seek clarification from the New York State Gaming Commission about the rules, why a seemingly arbitrary decision was made in the sequence and what customer expectations should be going forward in similar cases,” said TIF Executive Director Patrick Cummings.

Contacted on Monday morning, the Commission has yet to reply.

“Customers expect operators and regulators will follow the wagering rules as written,” said professional horseplayer and author Mike Maloney. “Horseplayers' confidence is paramount and there is little doubt that some of that was lost as a result of this incident.”

Horseplayer Eric Bialek, a final table participant in the 2020 National Horseplayers' Championship, was incredulous after the announcement.

“It defies every expectation of horseplayers for a race that was run a half hour earlier to subsequently be declared an all-win,” Bialek said. “Without a proper explanation from either the state or NYRA, speculation is all we have and that's incredibly insufficient.”

For the full story, please click here.

The post From the TIF: New York Wagering Rules Ignored in Saratoga Pick 5 Fiasco appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

Source of original post

Verified by MonsterInsights