Facelift in Store for Saratoga, New Synthetic Track for Belmont Park

The main takeaway from Wednesday's meeting of the New York State Franchise Oversight Board is that the Saratoga Race Course and Belmont Park of today will look quite different by the end of 2024, with the bulk of the meeting spent outlining a series of proposed and ongoing capital improvement projects, which the board approved.

Arguably the news of most significance is planned installation of a new one-mile synthetic track to the inside of Belmont Park's inner turf course. This synthetic surface–the specific material of which is currently unknown–will serve as a fourth racing surface at the facility.

At the end of last year, the New York Racing Association (NYRA) finished installation of the Tapeta Footings synthetic surface at the facility's pony track.

Glen Kozak, NYRA executive vice president of operations and capital projects, explained that the initial positive feedback to this surface from the horsemen helped cement the decision to install the second synthetic surface at Belmont Park.

“The feedback from the horsemen has been excellent,” said Kozak, who explained how even in very inclement weather, training delays have been minimized.

On one day last week, “we got an inch and a half of wet snow that finished up as sleet, and we delayed training,” said Kozak. After removing the wet snow and working the track, “in a matter of 45 minutes, we had it available for training.”

With work recently completed on a vehicular tunnel accessing the Belmont infield, this opens the door to simultaneous renovation of the inner turf course when the facility's 2023 spring-summer meet concludes in July.

Work on both the inner turf track and the new synthetic surface are expected to be completed by spring of 2024.

According to the NYRA representatives, the new synthetic track's primary race-day purpose is to provide a viable option during the harsh winter months. However, it will also be used as a substitute during the summer months when racing is taken off the turf.

Other construction projects outlined for Belmont include a new backstretch dormitory near the existing two such buildings.

“What we're proposing is a single-story dorm, double-sided,” said Kozak, who added NYRA doesn't have the final specifications for the building yet, but that it would be “consistent” with dorm number two. “We'd like to get to 100 beds,” he added. “Three occupants per room.”

The plan, said Kozak, is to ultimately decommission some of the older existing living quarters.

Separately, NYRA plans to make upgrades and refurbishments to certain barns, including the quarantine barn. The barn area fire alarm system will be modernized. Another plan, said Kozak, is to connect the entire backstretch with Wi-Fi.

These projects form part of NYRA's multi-year, $40-million renovation and modernization initiative at both Belmont and Saratoga.

Over at Saratoga, NYRA will construct a new residential building adjacent to the lowlands on the Oklahoma training track side of the facility. This follows approval of the designs from the Saratoga Springs Preservation Foundation.

In addition, NYRA will continue renovations to existing housing on both the Oklahoma and main track sides of the facility.

Other projects include planned restoration of the “Resident Manager's House,” refurbishment of the grandstand and clubhouse, additional spa verandas near the existing ones, and construction of a new hospitality area near the Wilson Chute.

Interestingly, NYRA is looking to replace the temporary tent where horses are saddled with a permanent building due to the “safety issues” inherent with the current structure. “It's basically a tent built over wooden stalls,” said Kozak.

The saddling stalls are “probably the most visible spot on the track,” said Kozak. While plans are fluid, the intent is to use rubberized paver on the floor, enlarge the area at the front, and design a barrier to muffle traffic noise from behind.

“We've already engaged Saratoga Preservation to go over and get feedback from them,” Kozak said.

Earlier in the meeting, David O'Rourke, NYRA president and chief executive officer, announced plans for a single admission price at Saratoga of $10 a day, or $7 when purchased in advance.

The thinking behind the idea, O'Rourke said, was to give fans access to the entire property rather than just the clubhouse or grandstand.

In Horseracing Integrity and Safety Act (HISA)-related news, the Franchise Oversight Board remarked how NYRA already conducts an out-of-competition (OOC) program alongside the state's drug testing program.

When asked if NYRA will continue that OOC testing program when HISA goes into effect later this month, O'Rourke said that NYRA “will continue it in collaboration” with the new federal authority.

The post Facelift in Store for Saratoga, New Synthetic Track for Belmont Park appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

Source of original post

Senate and Assembly One House Budgets Include Project to Build a New Belmont Park

Edited Press Release

As the final weeks of budget negotiations begin, both the Senate and Assembly majorities included the project to build a new Belmont Park in their “One House” budget resolutions. The project was also included in Governor Kathy Hochul's Executive Budget Proposal last month.

The Belmont modernization project's inclusion in the Senate and Assembly One House budget resolutions comes just one day after over 100 New Yorkers–including organized labor, family farmers, small business owners, backstretch workers, and more–joined legislators from both parties to rally in the State Capitol in support of the project.

“The construction of a new Belmont Park that will create thousands of jobs, generate billions in economic activity and secure the future of Thoroughbred racing in New York State at no cost to taxpayers. By supporting this transformational project, Governor Hochul, Majority Leader Stewart-Cousins, Speaker Heastie, and our partners in the legislature are protecting the interests of thousands of hard-working New Yorkers on Long Island and across the state,” said Patrick McKenna, Vice President for Communications at the New York Racing Association, Inc.

“Supporting a new Belmont Park also means standing up for organized labor, protecting countless small businesses, and preserving family farms reliant on the statewide racing ecosystem. Horse racing means jobs and opportunities for thousands of New York families in every corner of the state. That's what a new Belmont Park is all about, and we'll continue working with leaders in Albany to get this project across the finish line.”

The post Senate and Assembly One House Budgets Include Project to Build a New Belmont Park appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

Source of original post

Travers Highlights Saratoga Stakes Schedule

The stakes schedule for the 2023 summer meet at historic Saratoga Race Course will include 71 stakes worth $20.8 million in total purses, the New York Racing Association announced Tuesday.

Highlighted by the 154th renewal of the $1.25-million GI Travers Aug. 26 and the $1-million GI Whitney Aug. 5, the 40-day summer meet will open Thursday, July 13 and continue through Monday, Sept. 4.

Whitney Day provides a trio of Grade I events, including the GI Test S. and the GI Saratoga Derby Invitational.

The Travers Festival offers nine stakes including six Grade Is from Wednesday, Aug. 23 through Saturday, Aug. 26. The lucrative Travers Day card features five Grade I stakes, including the GI Resorts World Casino Sword Dancer, GI Ballerina H., GI Forego and GI H. Allen Jerkens Memorial.

Following the four-day opening weekend, racing will be conducted five days a week, Wednesdays through Sundays, apart from closing week, when the 2023 summer meet will conclude on Labor Day.

Saratoga Live, the acclaimed television show produced by NYRA in partnership with FOX Sports, will return for its eighth season to provide expansive on-site daily coverage of the summer meet to a nationwide audience on the networks of FOX Sports.

The complete stakes schedule for the 2023 summer meet is available at https://www.nyra.com/saratoga/racing/stakes-schedule/.

 

 

The post Travers Highlights Saratoga Stakes Schedule appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

Source of original post

Weekly Stewards and Commissions Rulings, Jan. 24-30

Every week, the TDN publishes a roundup of key official rulings from the primary tracks within the four major racing jurisdictions of California, New York, Florida and Kentucky.

Here's a primer on how each of these jurisdictions adjudicates different offenses, what they make public (or not) and where.

With the Horseracing Integrity and Safety Act (HISA) having gone into effect on July 1, the TDN will also post a roundup of the relevant HISA-related rulings from the same week.

California
Track: Santa Anita
Date: 01/22/2023
Licensee: Randy Rennon, owner
Penalty: Suspended license
Violation: Failure to comply with financial agreement
Explainer: Owner Randy Rennon (dba Summer Knights Stables, Inc), having failed to comply with a Financial Agreement dated November 26, 2020, at Del Mar Race Track, is suspended for violation of California Horse Racing Board rule #1876 (Financial Responsibility – Farrier Kyle Baze $820.00). Suspension to commence on January 29, 2023.During the term of this suspension, all licenses and license privileges of Randy Rennon (dba Summer Knights Stables, Inc) are suspended and pursuant to California Horse Racing Board rule #1528 (Jurisdiction of Stewards), subject is denied access to all premises in this jurisdiction.

Track: Santa Anita
Date: 01/27/2023
Licensee: Rolando Quinonez, trainer
Penalty: $1,000 fine
Violation: Excessive use of whip during training hours
Explainer: Trainer Rolando Quinonez is fined $1,000.00 for violation of California Horse Racing Board rules #1874 (Disorderly Conduct – excessive use of riding crop during training) and #1530 (Cases Not Covered by Rules and Regulations) at San Luis Rey Training Center on September 14, 2022. Furthermore, Rolando Quinonez must be evaluated by the Winners Foundation for anger management and comply with any recommendations made by Winners Foundation.

NEW HISA STEWARDS RULINGS
The following rulings were reported on HISA's “rulings” portal, except for the voided claim rulings which were sent to the TDN directly. Some of these rulings are from prior weeks as they were not reported contemporaneously.
One important note: HISA's whip use limit is restricted to six strikes during a race.

Violations of Crop Rule
Aqueduct
Katherine “Katie” Davis – violation date January 20; $250 fine and one-day suspension, 7 strikes

Gulfstream Park
Shaun Bridgmohan – violation date January 21; $250 fine and one-day suspension, 7 strikes
Jaime Alexis Torres – violation date January 22; $250 fine, laceration on his mount Talking Like Mom from the crop

Oaklawn Park
Ramsey Zimmerman – violation date January 28; $250 fine and one-day suspension, 7 strikes
Ricardo Santana – violation date January 28; $250 fine, raising his wrist above his helmet when using the crop during the seventh race

Parx Racing
Anthony Salgado – violation date January 20; $250 fine and one-day suspension, 7 strikes

Penn National
Ricardo A Chiappe – violation date January 20; $250 fine and one-day suspension, 9 strikes

Tampa Bay Downs
Carlos Eduardo Rojas- violation date January 18; $250 fine and one-day suspension, 7 strikes
Carlos Eduardo Rojas – violation date January 18: Rojas has accumulated a total of 23 points for violations of HISA Rule 2280 (b), (1), though six of the points are under appeal and a stay has being granted, so the total points is reduced to 17 points. “Jockey Carlos E. Rojas is hereby suspended 15 calendar days based on points accumulated for multiple violations. To be serve from Wednesday, February 1st, 2023 through and including Wednesday, February 15, 2023.”

The post Weekly Stewards and Commissions Rulings, Jan. 24-30 appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

Source of original post

Verified by MonsterInsights