E2SE Students Arrive at The National Stud

Students from the UK and Ireland arrived at The National Stud this week to begin the 2020 TBA Entry to Stud Employment Programme, The National Stud announced on Monday. The 20 students engage in practical work-based training alongside lectures and industry visits for the first nine weeks. Those students that successfully completed phase one of the programme will be invited to interview for a work placement at a UK stud farm where they will complete their Level 2 Diploma in Work Based Racehorse Care (Breeding Option). The course is fully funded by the TBA and the Racing Foundation and is now in its second year.

“This course attracts students from a really diverse range of ages and backgrounds,” said The National Stud Director Tim Lane. “Graduates from 2019 and previous pilot years are working at studs across the UK and we have had a strong level of applications again this year. As with all activity this year we have put in place guidelines and restrictions to safeguard against COVID-19 and we will be monitoring these in line with guidance from government over the coming weeks.”

The 2020 students are as follows: Debbie Brodie, Dylan Goulding, Callum Bartram-Bell, Harry Hollingworth, Callan Graham, Leon Rossiter, Kenny Mace, Sam Malone, Cara Bradbury, Kate Stewart-Hilliar, Zoe Moles, Charlotte Cook, Tom Richardson, Jodie McLoughlin, Daniel Kent, Jodie Lever, Freya Marshall, Evelyn Holmes, Kinga Jantovics and Libby Flood.

The post E2SE Students Arrive at The National Stud appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

Source of original post

Golden Horde Retired From Racing

This year’s G1 Commonwealth Cup winner Golden Horde (Ire) (Lethal Force {Ire}-Entreat {GB}, by Pivotal {GB}) has been retired from racing after suffering a tendon injury. Stud plans have not yet been decided.

“He suffered a tendon issue that proved to be longer term than first realised, so rather than miss a complete season it was with reluctance that it was decided to retire him to stud,” said trainer Clive Cox. “He was the best horse owned so far by HH Sheikh Sultan Al Deen bin Mohammed bin Salman Al Khalifa, who has been deeply involved with all decisions regarding what is best for the horse. We had hoped to finish this season on a high in the Champions Sprint at Ascot last Saturday, but it wasn’t possible.”

A £65,000 Goffs UK Premier sale yearling, Golden Horde won the G2 Richmond S. at two before finishing third in the G1 Prix Morny and second in the G1 Middle Park S. He opened his 3-year-old campaign with a victory in the Commonwealth Cup at Royal Ascot before finishing third while facing elders in the G1 July Cup. After finishing fifth, beaten just 1 1/2 lengths, in the G1 Prix Maurice de Gheest, Golden Horde was third in the G1 Sprint Cup.

“I’ve been fortunate enough to train some top-class sprinters, most recently Harry Angel, but Golden Horde had all the physical attributes to maintain his progress, plus a wonderful temperament,” Cox added. “He danced every dance, no matter what the course or ground, and was a model of consistency at the highest level. We will all miss having him around, and I hope he will be of interest for the next chapter in his life but greatly look forward to handling his progeny.”

The post Golden Horde Retired From Racing appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

Source of original post

Ruled Out Of Breeders’ Cup Due To Muscle Soreness, Ghaiyyath Retired To Stud

Ghaiyyath, the son of Dubawi who put up not one, not two, but three of the four best performances of any racehorse in the world this year, has been retired from racing and will stand at Kildangan Stud next year.

He retires with four G1 victories to his name, three of which he won this year – and all in outstanding fashion: The Coronation Cup, the Eclipse and the Juddmonte International.

Ghaiyyath was a high-class juvenile, breaking his maiden at Newmarket by five lengths before going on to take the G3 Autumn Stakes in October 2017.

Charlie Appleby's charge won the G3 Prix du Prince d'Orange in an unbeaten three-year-old campaign, before reappearing at four to win the G2 Prix d'Harcourt.

Last September, Ghaiyyath recorded his first G1 victory in sensational style, winning the Grosser Preis von Baden by an astounding 14 lengths. This was the best performance in Germany this century.

Ghaiyyath has flourished this year, kicking off his 2020 campaign with another wide-margin Group win, this time taking the Dubai Millennium Stakes at Meydan by eight and a half lengths.

Upon his return to Europe, he added a second top-flight victory to his record, breaking the course record at Newmarket in the G1 Coronation Cup, beating Derby winner Anthony Van Dyck.

Better was still to come, as he beat a field of the highest class in the G1 Eclipse, including Enable, earning him a Timeform rating of 133.

His fourth G1 win came at York this August, where he won a vintage renewal of the Juddmonte International by three lengths, once again making every yard of the running.

Charlie Appleby reported that the plan had been to look towards the Breeders' Cup but in preparation for the race, after a piece of routine work at the weekend, the horse showed signs of soreness behind. After veterinary investigation, the horse was found to be muscle sore.

Charlie Appleby said: “Ghaiyyath has had a fantastic career, winning nine of his 13 races. His high-class cruising speed and relentless style of galloping was a joy to watch and as I have said before, this year he came together both physically and mentally and looked the finished article. It is obviously disappointing not to be taking him to the Breeders' Cup but the exertions of a long season, which started in Dubai in January, were starting to show and the decision has been made to retire him.

“He was an outstanding part of the Moulton Paddocks team and I know that his numerous top-level successes gave our Principal, His Highness Sheikh Mohammed, a great deal of pleasure.”

Joe Osborne, Managing Director of Godolphin in Ireland, said, “Ghaiyyath is a great addition to our roster: his superior ability as a racehorse combined with his looks and his pedigree will make him a sought-after option for breeders. We are delighted he will be standing at Kildangan Stud next season.”

Ghaiyyath is bred on the same hugely successful Dubawi/ Galileo cross that has also produced Classic winner and sire of the moment Night Of Thunder.

The post Ruled Out Of Breeders’ Cup Due To Muscle Soreness, Ghaiyyath Retired To Stud appeared first on Horse Racing News | Paulick Report.

Source of original post

Lucky Typo: Australian Bettor Accidentally Nets Over $600,000

By virtue of a typo, one lucky Australian bettor came away with winnings of $621,840 last Saturday. According to sportscasting.com, the bettor intended to place a $600 quinella box wager on five horses at Newcastle Racecourse. Instead, the bettor placed $6,000 on the same wager, hoping that two of his five selections would finish first and second in the race.

His five selections were relative longshots, at odds of: 151-1, 41-1, 35-1, 19-1, and 6.5-1. The 35-1 chance finished first, and the 41-1 chance was second, paying out odds of 103 to one.

The lucky bettor expected to make $62,000 on his successful wager, but was surprised to see his account rewarded with a final sum of $621,840.

If he had lost, the bettor would have lost an extra $5,400. Instead, the typo earned him over $550,000!

Read more at sportscasting.com.

The post Lucky Typo: Australian Bettor Accidentally Nets Over $600,000 appeared first on Horse Racing News | Paulick Report.

Source of original post

Verified by MonsterInsights