Thoroughbred Retirement Foundation Launches 2020 Hay Drive With $60,000 Matching Gift

The Thoroughbred Retirement Foundation (TRF) has received a $60,000 matching gift from the Santulli Family Foundation to launch the 2020 Hay Drive challenge–Hay, Oats and Water. The Santulli's will match every dollar donated to the TRF up to $60,000 for this campaign. The TRF's goal for the 2020 Hay Drive is $120,000 to cover the cost of hay for the hundreds of former racehorses currently in their care.

The TRF Hay Drive is one of the most important campaigns for the organization, now in its 37th year of providing sanctuary, retirement and second chances for Thoroughbreds no longer able to compete on the racetrack. The campaign will be conducted by direct mail, email and social media as well as one-on-one donation requests.

“Hay is one of our largest horse care expenses and the most important element of a horse's diet, particularly in the winter.” says Jennifer Stevens, Director of Development at the TRF.

Last year, with the help of the Santulli Family Foundation, the TRF had its most successful Hay Drive to date and the organization is hopeful that this year's response will equal or surpass last year's campaign.

“The Santulli's are longtime supporters of the TRF having funded several areas of need for the organization throughout the years. We are immensely grateful for their contributions to the TRF and the Thoroughbred aftercare effort.” said Patricia Stickney, TRF Executive Director. “Their generous gift will not only help our horses but inspire others to do the same.”

To give to the Hay Drive please visit the TRF giving page here: https://www.trfinc.org/haydrive/

The post Thoroughbred Retirement Foundation Launches 2020 Hay Drive With $60,000 Matching Gift appeared first on Horse Racing News | Paulick Report.

Source of original post

Flashy 2-Year-Old Drain The Clock Making ‘Next Move Forward’ In Wednesday Allowance

Slam Dunk Racing's Drain the Clock is set to make a greatly anticipated return to action Wednesday at Gulfstream Park West, where the son of Maclean's Music will likely be a heavy favorite in the featured optional claiming allowance for 2-year-olds.

The Saffie Joseph Jr.-trained colt debuted in a Sept. 12 off-the-turf maiden special weight race at Gulfstream Park, where he sprinted to the lead from his rail post position, shook off mild pressure and drew away to score by six lengths. The son of Maclean's Music ran five furlongs in slop in 58.73 seconds as the 8-5 favorite.

“He's a horse who, early on, showed a lot of promise. We thought we'd get him started on the turf. He trained well enough on dirt also, but we thought the turf would be easier fitness-wise to get him started in,” Joseph said. “He won nicely that day on the slop and we decided to keep him on the dirt and see where he stacks up. It's a nice spot, hopefully, to make a next move forward.”

Omaha City, who finished third, went on to graduate next time out in the Hollywood Beach Stakes on turf.

“Our horses, we don't press them to win first time out. If they win first time out, like him, that means they're just much better than the competition,” Joseph said. “You'd expect him to improve off that run. He's trained well. He had a nice five-eighths workout last week. He's going an extra furlong, but it doesn't seem like it should be an issue.”

Samy Camacho picks up the mount from leading rider Edgard Zayas, whose wife is scheduled to give birth to their second daughter Wednesday.

Joseph is also scheduled to saddle Don and Rebecca Ming's Worlds On High, another recent debut winner, in Wednesday's feature. The son of Shanghai Bobby captured a $50,000 maiden claiming race by 2 ¼ lengths under returning Alberto Burgos.

“He won nicely that day. Ideally, I would have liked to run him in a starter allowance, but there hasn't been one,” Joseph said. “I don't think he has the class of Drain the Clock, but again, you would think he'd improve second time out. It'll be interesting to see how he fits this time.”

Kathleen O'Connell-trained The Distractor, who also graduated against $50,000 claiming maidens while winning his debut by 7 ½ lengths at Gulfstream Park West Oct. 11, is also entered in the field of six juveniles.

Wednesday's feature is carded as Race 6 and will be included in the 20-cent Rainbow 6 sequence, which will span Races 4-9. The Rainbow 6 will have a guaranteed pool of $125,000.

The post Flashy 2-Year-Old Drain The Clock Making ‘Next Move Forward’ In Wednesday Allowance appeared first on Horse Racing News | Paulick Report.

Source of original post

Woodbine’s HPIbet Platform Adds Paypal To Payment Options

Woodbine Entertainment (Woodbine), Canada's horse racing and wagering leader has added PayPal, one of the world's leading digital payments providers on their HPIbet.com platform. This update provides their customers a fast, private, safe, and reliable method for online transactions.

HPIbet is the leading Canadian wagering application that allows users to easily place bets and view races on hundreds of tracks across the globe. HPIbet is available across Canada through HPIbet.com.

We are thrilled to team up with PayPal, a payment processing global leader, to bring our customers their trusted and popular funding mechanism to our platform,” said Kevin Maharaj, Director, Business and Product Development at Woodbine. “We are constantly looking for new ways to enrich the customer experience on HPIbet. Allowing our customers from across Canada to fund their accounts using PayPal is a huge step forward in achieving this goal.”

As of today, HPIbet customers are now able to fund their account using PayPal.

Benefits of the PayPal platform for HPIbet members include adding another seamless way to privately and securely deposit money into accounts from their bank account, credit card and debit card attached to their PayPal account or their PayPal balance.

The post Woodbine’s HPIbet Platform Adds Paypal To Payment Options appeared first on Horse Racing News | Paulick Report.

Source of original post

Mid-Atlantic States Move To Restrict Clenbuterol Use

Continuing a decades-long regional effort to enact uniform medication, safety and welfare reforms, protocols and rules, a coalition of 31 regulatory and stakeholder organizations representing all seven states in the Mid-Atlantic region have unanimously agreed to work together to implement a new rule that will significantly restrict the improper use of the bronchodilator clenbuterol.

Under the current regional rule, clenbuterol may not be administered to a horse within 14 days of a race, and the concentration of the drug in a post-race blood sample may not exceed 140 picograms/ml. The new rule will eliminate the existing testing threshold, require regulatory approval in advance for a horse in racing or training that is prescribed the medication, mandate that the horse be placed on the Veterinarian's List, and bar the horse from racing until it tests negative in both blood and urine and completes a satisfactory workout observed by a regulatory veterinarian.

The move to restrict the use of clenbuterol in racing was made during a Mid-Atlantic Zoom meeting held Oct. 15, 2020. The meeting was attended by more than 60 stakeholder leaders from the seven states and regulatory jurisdictions that have committed to the Mid-Atlantic Strategic Plan to Reduce Equine Fatalities. During this meeting, N.Y.S. Gaming Commission Equine Medical Director Dr. Scott Palmer presented data collected from a recent out-of-competition sampling program. Dr. Palmer indicated that the Commission required all horses trained by federally indicted individuals to submit to hair testing for prohibited and impermissible substances prior to those horses being allowed to return to racing.

“The Commission's hair testing review found that clenbuterol was administered to a substantial number of these horses without evidence of a medical prescription,” Dr. Palmer said. “In addition to being a useful therapeutic medication to treat respiratory disease, clenbuterol has re-partitioning effects that can enhance muscle development. Clenbuterol should not be administered to racehorses without a legitimate treatment plan and a proper diagnosis. This new rule will eliminate the improper use of clenbuterol.”

Maryland began their rulemaking process on Oct. 22 and will apply the new restricted rule to both Thoroughbred and Standardbred racehorses. New York plans to propose a rule amendment in November. The other jurisdictions will follow suit, navigating the regulatory process necessary for enactment in each state for racing in 2021.

“The Mid-Atlantic's collective work has spearheaded significant industry medication reforms over the years, including the bans on steroids in 2008 and, most recently, the use of bisphosphonates in 2019 and thyroid supplementation earlier this year,” said Thoroughbred Horsemen's Association Chairman Alan Foreman, who has facilitated the Mid-Atlantic meetings since their inception. “The region's Uniform Medication and Drug Testing Program in 2014 ultimately became the National Uniform Medication Program. Everyone in the region, including regulators, racetrack operators, horsemen, breeders and veterinarians, is committed to the implementation of the Strategic Plan to Reduce Equine Fatalities. Working together, we have made, and continue to make, real change.”

The new clenbuterol rule is as follows:

  1. Clenbuterol use is prohibited in racing and training unless the following conditions are met:
    a. The prescription for clenbuterol is made for a specific horse based upon a specific diagnosis. The prescription and volume dispensed cannot exceed a treatment period of 30 days.
    b. The veterinarian must provide a copy of the prescription and diagnosis to the Equine Medical Director for review and approval. The horse may not receive clenbuterol before this approval is issued.
    c. Trainers must make daily notification to the official veterinarian of horse(s) in their custody having been administered clenbuterol. Notification shall be made on a form and by a deadline designated by the Commission.
    d. A horse administered clenbuterol shall be placed on the official veterinarian's list. The horse must meet all conditions for removal from the list including a timed workout and blood and urine sampling. Both samples must have no detectable clenbuterol.
    e. A horse may not enter to race until it has completed all the requirements in subdivision (d).
  2. If a clenbuterol is detected in a horse's post-race or out of competition sample and appropriate notification as outlined in subdivision 1(a) or (b) was not completed, the horse shall immediately be placed on the Official Veterinarian's List pending the outcome of an investigation. The horse shall be required to meet all conditions for removal from the veterinarian's list outlined in subdivision 1(d), above.

The Mid-Atlantic stakeholders and regulators who have committed to the Strategic Plan include Delaware Park, DTHA, Delaware Racing Commission, Maryland Jockey Club, Maryland State Fair (Timonium), MTHA, Maryland Racing Commission, Maryland Horse Breeders Association, Monmouth Park, NJTHA, New Jersey Racing Commission, New Jersey Thoroughbred Breeders Association, Finger Lakes Racetrack, Finger Lakes HBPA, NYTHA, New York State Gaming Commission, New York Thoroughbred Breeders Inc., Penn National Gaming, Parx Racing, Presque Isle Downs, PTHA, Pennsylvania HBPA, Pennsylvania Horse Racing Commission, Pennsylvania Horse Breeders Association, Colonial Downs, Virginia Racing Commission, Charles Town, Mountaineer Park, Charles Town HBPA, Mountaineer HBPA, West Virginia Racing Commission, and the National Steeplechase Association.

Click here for a copy of the Strategic Plan.

The post Mid-Atlantic States Move To Restrict Clenbuterol Use appeared first on Horse Racing News | Paulick Report.

Source of original post

Verified by MonsterInsights