Straight Fire 6: Indiana Grand Adds New Jackpot Wager

Indiana Grand is adding a new gimmick to its wagering platform. The Straight Fire 6, a jackpot Pick 6 wager, will be offered, and to help initiate the wager, a unique world record will ignite the bet in Race 2 Monday, July 20.

“We are always looking for ways to promote our racing product and thought it would be fun to kickstart our Straight Fire 6 with a $100 guaranteed pool, which will be the lowest in the world,” laughed Eric Halstrom, vice president and general manager of racing. “With all the serious issues going on right now, we wanted to add some humor into the launch of our Straight Fire 6. We had an employee contest to name the wager and the $100 guaranteed pool gives us the distinction of setting another record – the lowest guaranteed pool of all-time!”

The Straight Fire 6 will join a list of similar wagers across the United States offering a jackpot format. The wager needs one unique ticket to take the “jackpot” or the entire pool. If there are multiple tickets with all six winners, then 50 percent of the pool will be paid out and the remaining 50 percent goes into the carryover. The Straight Fire 6 is offered daily beginning in Race 2 and extending through Race 7.

Live racing continues through Wednesday, Nov. 18 with action held Monday through Thursday beginning at 2:20 p.m. Three more Saturday programs are slated for all-Quarter Horse days Aug. 8, Oct. 23 and Oct. 24.

The post Straight Fire 6: Indiana Grand Adds New Jackpot Wager appeared first on Horse Racing News | Paulick Report.

Source of original post

‘Very Excited, And A Little Bit Nervous’: Baffert Readies Maximum Security For San Diego Handicap

Asked about champion Maximum Security during Wednesday's media teleconference organized by the NTRA, Hall of Fame trainer Bob Baffert admitted to mixed feelings ahead of the colt's start in Saturday's Grade 2 San Diego Handicap at Del Mar.

“When I see him train, he trains like a really top horse,” Baffert said. “That's what I see, and I'm actually very excited, and a little bit nervous. I feel a little added pressure; there's a lot of pressure when you're around good horses.”

In his most recent start, the Gary and Mary West homebred won the inaugural $20 million Saudi Cup over Midnight Bisou. Since that effort at the end of February, the story around Maximum Security shifted from his historic Kentucky Derby disqualification in 2019 to the federal indictment of his former trainer, Jason Servis, on March 9, 2020.

Maximum Security was given a full medical evaluation and some down time, then transferred to Baffert's care in Southern California. His first gallop for Baffert was in late April; his first work not until June 1.

In his first start for Baffert, the 4-year-old son of New Year's Day will face a field of six others going 1 1/16 miles over Del Mar's main track. Maximum Security will break from post position five under a new rider, Abel Cedillo.

Regular jockey Luis Saez would be aboard the colt, except that he recently returned a positive test for COVID-19 and will be quarantined for the next two weeks. That left Baffert searching for a new rider, and his go-to big race jockey Mike Smith was already booked to be in New Jersey to ride Authentic in the Haskell.

Cedillo had committed to ride a horse for Mark Glatt in the San Diego, but Glatt let him out of the commitment when the trainer decided not to run his horse against Maximum Security.

“He sort of has the same kind of style [as Saez]; he's a strong rider, he's aggressive,” Baffert said of Cedillo. “He won on Fighting Mad for Gary and Mary West [the G2 Santa Maria on May 30 at Santa Anita], and he's won some races for me. He can handle pressure. I'm happy that I have him here.”

As is typical of Servis' style, Maximum Security had been used to turning in slow and steady morning workouts, more like two-minute licks than speedy breezes. Over the past six weeks, Baffert has focused on acclimating the colt to his style of training, working a bit faster, and his most recent breeze was a sharp five-furlong move in :59.60 on July 11 at Del Mar.

“To be around, he's a big, strong, beautiful horse,” Baffert said. “He's been doing everything well.”

Still, Baffert told the Paulick Report over the weekend that the colt may need a race, coming off the five-month break since the Saudi Cup.

“I feel I've done as much with him as I can for this,” Baffert said on Sunday. “I've been working him in company. He's a lazy horse in the morning and I can see now why they may ran him for $16,000 (maiden claiming) first out. He's a really smart horse; a lot of class, and a really intelligent horse.”

Maximum Security has been assigned 127 pounds under the handicap conditions of the 1 1/16-mile San Diego, five more than Higher Power (winner of the G1 Pacific Classic in 2019) and Midcourt (G2 San Pasqual winner in 2020). No horse since Native Diver toted 131 pounds in 1965 has carried more weight in winning the San Diego Handicap. California Chrome won under 126 pounds in 2016 in his first start since winning the G1 Dubai World Cup.

The San Diego Handicap field from the rail with jockeys and weights in parenthesis: Higher Power (TBD, 122); Ax Man (J.C. Diaz, Jr., 118); Midcourt (Juan Hernandez, 122); Dark Vader (Umberto Rispoli, 118); Maximum Security (Abel Cedillo, 127); Combatant (Drayden Van Dyke, 121) and Sharp Samurai (Edwin Maldonado, 119).

The post ‘Very Excited, And A Little Bit Nervous’: Baffert Readies Maximum Security For San Diego Handicap appeared first on Horse Racing News | Paulick Report.

Source of original post

Irish EBF Trials To Resume at Dundalk

Irish Thoroughbred Marketing, with the support of the Irish European Breeders’ Fund and the Irish Horseracing Regulatory Board, will resume Barrier Trials for unraced 2- and 3-year-olds at Dundalk Stadium July 29. The Irish EBF Barrier Trials will operate under the same COVID-19 protocols in use on regular race days. Entries, which opened July 15, will close July 24. Terms & Conditions are listed at www.itm.ie.

A later date for the Irish EBF Barrier Trials is scheduled for Aug. 24, pending approval.

The post Irish EBF Trials To Resume at Dundalk appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

Source of original post

Brisnet.com Triple Crown Throwdown: Peter Pan

Ed DeRosa of Brisnet.com takes on TDN’s Steve Sherack and Brian DiDonato as they handicap Triple Crown prep races plus the big three races themselves. The three will make $100 Win/Place bets in the preps and $200 Win/Place bets in the Kentucky Derby, Preakness and Belmont. Highest bankroll at the end wins.

DeRosa – Blue Grass ResultArt Collector (+$530) wore down Swiss Skydiver for a breakout victory. Bankroll: $4210.

GIII Peter Pan S. – I normally don’t like horses who need 1 1/8 miles on dirt to break their maidens as a 2-year-old, but given this one is by Tonalist, who has needed some time with his progeny, it’s more understandable. I loved Country Grammer’s race in the Fountain of Youth off that maiden win and the comeback wasn’t bad given he had to go long off the bench and was caught wide. Now back to nine furlongs second off the bench and I like his chances. Would loved to have pulled the trigger on Caracaro, but going this long against stakes types off a six-month layoff is a big ask. Selection: #2 Country Grammer (7-2).

Sherack – Blue Grass Result – Still plenty of work left to do to catch the top two, but nice to get back in the win column with Art Collector. Bankroll: $3135.

GIII Peter Pan S. – I couldn’t have been any higher on Mystic Guide following his eye-catching maiden win at Fair Grounds, and getting back to two turns with some added distance to work with after a good second in a quickly run race should be right up his alley. Will be making a nice exacta box with Candy Tycoon. Selection: #6 Mystic Guide (5-2). 

DiDonato Blue Grass Result Rushie settled for third at 7-1 after a wide trip. This thing’s getting close. Bankroll: $4375

GIII Peter Pan S. – Mystic Guide and Country Grammer, the second and third finishers in that salty allowance won by Tap It to Win at Belmont June 4, are the two I’m most interested in (Caracaro’s also intriguing, but not sure what to make of him). I believe I’ve picked both in earlier contest races, but decided to side with Country Grammer here for red-hot (always hot?) Chad Brown. Mystic Guide finished 1 1/2 lengths ahead of Country Grammer, but the latter covered about two more lengths of ground according to Trakus data. Country Grammer also made a tougher move, being asked for his run earlier from farther back while off cover. He seems better suited to this two-turn nine furlongs, and is already a winner at the distance. Selection: #2 Country Grammer (7-2).

The post Brisnet.com Triple Crown Throwdown: Peter Pan appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

Source of original post

Verified by MonsterInsights