TB Makeover Applications Close Jan. 20

Applications for the 2023 Thoroughbred Makeover and National Symposium, presented by Thoroughbred Charities of America, are now open for submission, the Retired Racehorse Project announced Tuesday. The application period closes at 5:00 p.m. EST on Jan. 20. Accepted trainers will be announced no later than Feb. 15.

Interested applicants can start the application process now by logging on to Retired Racehorse Project website.

Entering its ninth year at the Kentucky Horse Park in Lexington, horses and trainers will compete for more than $110,000 in total prize money, plus the coveted title of Thoroughbred Makeover Champion, at the Kentucky Horse Park on Oct. 11-14, 2023. The Thoroughbred Makeover features competition in ten disciplines for recently retired Thoroughbreds in their first year of retraining for a career after racing. Entrants may compete in one or two disciplines of their choice, including Barrel Racing, Competitive Trail, Dressage, Eventing, Field Hunter, Polo, Ranch Work, Show Hunter, Show Jumper, and Freestyle.

New for 2023, the Thoroughbred Makeover will also include a Former Broodmare division, presented by Claiborne Farm, serving as a pilot program for recently retired broodmares exiting the bloodstock industry.

. Full eligibility requirements can be found in the rule book also on the website.

The post TB Makeover Applications Close Jan. 20 appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

Source of original post

Bob Meeking, Washington Circuit Staple, Dies at 94

Bob Meeking, a trainer for over seven decades and one of the Washington state's most popular and respected horsemen, passed away last week at age 94.

Meeking, who owned the 60-acre Allaire Farms in Poulsbo with his wife Barbara, had been in poor health the last few years. After missing 2021 while dealing with treatment for colon cancer, Meeking returned to Emerald Downs in 2022 with a nine-horse stable, scoring victories with runners like Wheel Rally and Emerald Sea, and finishing 10th in the $150,000 Longacres Mile with Kingmeister for longtime clients Fred and Cindy Desimone.

“I always enjoy being at the track,” Meeking said before the 2022 season. “I've been in this industry over many years and seen a lot of changes, but horse racing is a wonderful sport and I it's around for a long time.”

Robert A. Meeking was born June 6, 1928, in Victoria, BC, and saddled his first starter in 1946 at Lansdowne Park in suburban Vancouver. He trained for a remarkable 75 years, earning a reputation as a patient, high-percentage horseman while conditioning top-flight runners like Longacres Derby winners Mincemeat (1970) and Salad Sam (1976) and multiple stakes winner Bucksaw.

“I think my biggest thrill was my first winner at Santa Anita although a close second was [Mincemeat] winning two Derbies,” Meeking told Daily Racing Form.

In 2018, he participated in a unique contest at Emerald Downs when he saddled Trelawny to a runner-up finish in the 'Not in Any Rocking Chair' Starter Allowance for 3-year-olds and up which have started for a claiming price of $3,500 or less in 2017-18 and whose trainer was born on or prior to June 6, 1928. Trainers of the four runners entered were 94-year-old Arturo Arboleda, 91-year-old H.R. Pat Mullens, 90-year-old Ira Rhodes, and Meeking who had celebrated his 90th birthday the week prior to the race.

Meeking's final victory was July 22 with Emerald Sea, a 4-year-old filly that rallied for a two-length victory in a $15,000 claiming race; she would finish third Sept. 18 in the WA Cup Filly and Mare S. in what would be his final start as conditioner.

The post Bob Meeking, Washington Circuit Staple, Dies at 94 appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

Source of original post

Denied Commission Stay, Trainer Noda Fights NYSGC Penalty in Court

In an effort to fight a 90-day suspension and $5,000 fine for “striking a horse excessively” during a 2021 workout at Saratoga Race Course, trainer Orlando Noda has commenced proceedings in Schenectady Supreme Court that he hopes will prove the New York State Gaming Commission (NYSGC) acted unlawfully last month when it rejected an appeal hearing officer's recommendation that his case be dismissed without penalization.

Noda's legal filing is known as an Article 78 review, which pertains to a New York state law by which a petitioner can ask a court to review a decision or action of a state official or administrative agency.

Article 78 filings have a reputation for being costly to litigate and very time consuming, sometimes dragging on for months or even several years in the court system.

Although the two cases are not related, Noda's penalty got handed down during the same Dec. 12 NYSGC meeting as a ruling imposed upon Richie Gazer, the longtime New York Racing Association head clocker who was suspended 30 days and fined $2,500 for “altering a published work of a horse to make the horse eligible to race.”

But taken together, those two same-day adjudications share a commonality in that both decisions by the NYSGC represented a forceful rejection of each hearing officer's months of work in conducting the appeals and writing up the reports.

In both instances, the commissioners voted unanimously to impose the original penalties that had been handed down by Braulio Baeza, Jr., the NYSGC state steward at the three NYRA tracks.

Although such outright rejections are unusual, most racing commissions nationwide are not bound to accept the opinions of hearing officers, who are often attorneys, that they hire to hear appeals.

In both Noda's and Gazer's cases, their respective attorneys had asked the commission for a stay of their penalties pending Article 78 filings. Both were denied last month by the NYSGC.

“I asked the commission for a stay as a courtesy,” Drew Mollica, Noda's attorney, told TDN. “I was denied on Dec. 20. I was in court Dec. 28, and the judge issued a stay. He can continue training. We have filed our Article 78 and we are pursuing a full and fair review of this unjust decision. In this case, the record is clear: There never was, and there is not now, any evidence that Mr. Noda did what they accused him of, and the hearing officer knew that.”

The hearing officer who oversaw Noda's appeal, S. David Devaprasad, wrote in his Nov. 1 report that, “The regulations Respondent is alleged to have violated…are impermissibly vague and [there are no written] standards as to what constitutes the proper or improper use of a crop or whip while training a horse.”

The report continued: “The testimony at the Hearing of the Commission's single eyewitness of the alleged incident was simply not sufficient (nor any more credible than Respondent's testimony in defense) to establish that Respondent engaged in any action detrimental to the best interest of racing generally or was guilty of any improper, corrupt, or fraudulent act or practice…”

Back on Dec. 12 NYSGC chairman Brian O'Dwyer disagreed. In reading Noda's decision into the record, he said that, “The commission duly deliberated and considered this matter, and determined by a 6-0 vote to reject the hearing officer's report and recommendations. In doing that, commissioners reviewed the entire record, and established by a preponderance of evidence that Noda's conduct was improper and detrimental to the best interest of racing, and determined that the appropriate penalty was that which was given by the stewards.”

Along with O'Dwyer, NYSGC commissioners John Crotty, Peter Moschetti, Jr., Christopher Riano, Marissa Shorenstein and Jerry Skurnik all voted in favor of rejecting the hearing officers' recommendations in the two cases.

The post Denied Commission Stay, Trainer Noda Fights NYSGC Penalty in Court appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

Source of original post

Flightline Leads TCA Stallion Season Auction Roster

The Thoroughbred Charities of America Stallion Season Auction presented by Mt. Brilliant will begin Wednesday, Jan. 4 at 9 a.m. and run through Friday, Jan. 6, with staggered closing times starting at 4:30 p.m. ET.  Nearly 200 seasons will be available for online bidding on Equiring.com.  Select seasons to Constitution, Flightline, Good Magic, Maxfield (with 2024 breed back), Nashville (with 2024 breed back), Not This Time, Nyquist (with 2024 breed back), Olympiad, and Quality Road will be sold at the 'Tis the Seasons Celebration on Sunday, January 8 at the Grand Reserve in Lexington, Ky. Tickets can be purchased here.

“This is a spectacular list of seasons,” said Mike McMahon president of TCA. “It's going to be one of the most exciting auctions we have ever held.”

Bidders or their authorized agents may bid on select seasons by attending the event in-person or they may email ehalliwell@tca.org to register to bid online or by phone. Non-season items including a John Deere ZTrak mower, an eighth pole from Keeneland Race Course, a meet and greet with Flightline, a condo in St. Thomas, and week-long stay at a Florida beach house will also be offered in the live auction.

Additionally, an online silent auction of non-season items including halters worn by Tapit, Gun Runner, and Jack Christopher, a Florida Derby package, artwork, unique experiences, and more will be offered. A list of silent auction items is available here.

Maggi Moss will be honored with the Allaire du Pont Leadership Award and Second Stride will be honored with the Ellen and Herb Moelis Industry Service Award for their dedication to Thoroughbred aftercare.

The auction is generously sponsored by Mt. Brilliant, Bourbon Lane Stable Retirement Fund, Limestone Bank, Coolmore America, Equine Medical Associates, Top Line Sales, Equine Medical of Ocala, L.V. Harkness & Co., BloodHorse, Paulick Report, Daily Racing Form, and Thoroughbred Daily News.

For further information regarding the 33rd annual TCA Stallion Season Auction including please visit the TCA website or call (859) 276-4989.

The post Flightline Leads TCA Stallion Season Auction Roster appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

Source of original post

Verified by MonsterInsights