Fasig-Tipton to Sponsor Fair Grounds Fillies Races

Fasig-Tipton will be the title sponsor of Fair Grounds Race Course's 2023 series for 3-year-old fillies. The “Fasig-Tipton Tremé Triple” consists of the Silverbulletday S. on Jan. 21, the GII Rachel Alexandra S. on Feb. 18, and the GII Fair Grounds Oaks on Mar. 25.

The name of the series is a tribute to the historic Tremé neighborhood of New Orleans that borders Fair Grounds Race Course.

“We are very excited to expand our partnership with Fair Grounds Race Course to sponsor the Louisiana's 3-year-old filly series that leads to the Kentucky Oaks,” Fasig-Tipton President Boyd Browning said. “This series is synonymous with the sport's best fillies, many of which we have had the honor of selling as yearlings and 2-year-olds, or subsequently at our November Sale at their conclusion of their careers. It's a very natural partnership for us.

The post Fasig-Tipton to Sponsor Fair Grounds Fillies Races appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

Source of original post

Candidates Announced for ’23 FTHA Election

A total of seven candidates have been nominated for the upcoming 2023 FTHA Election, to be held Mar. 15, 2023. Nominations were submitted during the FTHA's annual General Nominating Meeting and Awards Dinner at Gulfstream Jan. 7.

The seven candidates are:

OWNERS

  • Gerardo Amado
  • Tom Cannell
  • David Geofroy
  • Jeffrey Siskin

TRAINERS

  • Patrick Biancone
  • Jorge Delgado
  • David Fawkes

The Florida THA is supervised and managed by a Board between 11 to 15 Directors. Six seats are reserved for Owner/Directors, and six seats are reserved for Trainer/Directors. Three Directors may be either an owner or a trainer. An individual licensed as an owner may only run for a seat on the Board as an owner; an individual licensed as a trainer or as an owner and trainer may only run for a seat on the Board as a trainer.

The Board of Directors is divided into three groups of five Directors, known as Groups 1, 2, and 3. Elections are held annually, and the terms of all Directors are three years.

Voting for the 2023 FTHA Election will begin in February. Each member of the FTHA who is currently licensed as an owner and/or trainer and is in good standing is entitled to cast one vote in the general election.

The post Candidates Announced for ’23 FTHA Election appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

Source of original post

Delaware Park Live Racing Dates Approved for 2023

Dates for the 2023 live racing season at Delaware Park, which this year will offer 85 days from May 24 through Oct. 28, were approved by the Delaware Thoroughbred Racing Commission on Tuesday. The 86th season at the Wilmington oval will be conducted on a Wednesday-through-Saturday schedule with the exception of seven dark Fridays–May 26, July 28, every Friday in August, and Oct. 27.

This year's stakes schedule, anchored by the GII $500,000 Delaware H., offers 12 added-money events worth $2.25 million. Additionally, all stakes races will be run Lasix-free this year.

The Delaware H., which had been contested at 1 1/4 miles every year since 1951 with the exception of 2020 when it was shortened to nine furlongs during the Covid-19 pandemic, will be contested a mile and three-sixteenths this year. Before 1951 it was contested at a mile and a sixteenth.

“It has become increasingly more difficult to consistently attract the top contenders in the filly and mare division with the race at a mile and a quarter, but we also want to be respectful of the distance aspect of the tradition as much as possible,” Delaware Park Director of Racing Jerome “Jed” Doro said. “We are hoping a sixteenth of a mile less will encourage more of the top contenders in the division to come while still keeping the race attractive to those who want a little more ground.”

Other notable stakes offered during the 2023 season include the GIII $300,000 Delaware Oaks and GIII $250,000 Robert G. Dick Memorial S., both set to be contested July 1.

The post Delaware Park Live Racing Dates Approved for 2023 appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

Source of original post

With No Main Track Racing Fatalities in ’22, Santa Anita Continues to Make Strides on Safety

It's been some four years since Santa Anita suffered through some of the worst times in its long and otherwise glorious history, a prolonged period where horses were breaking down and dying at an alarming rate. Aidan Butler, the chief executive officer at The Stronach Group 1/ST Racing and Gaming, the corporation that owns Santa Anita, is still haunted by that period, so much so that he says he has nightmares about horses breaking down.

“It was horrific,” Butler said. “Can you imagine having bloody helicopters from the news stations flying over the track every time a horse was injured.”

Butler was relatively new to the job at the time, and a fresh perspective was helpful. While some were quick to tell him that the breakdowns were “part of the game,” he represented a management team that refused to accept what was happening and knew that Santa Anita may not survive unless they fixed the problem. So they went to work.

So when the field safely crossed the wire in the Dec. 31 Las Flores S., the last race of the year run on the main track, Butler could have been excused had he popped open a bottle of champagne. The year was over and not a single horse had suffered a fatal injury during a 2022 dirt race at Santa Anita.

“That's one of those things you hope for but it seems almost impossible,” said Dr. Dionne Benson, the chief veterinary officer for the Stronach Group. “I could not be more thrilled with the work done by everyone involved. And that is what has made all the difference.”

There was also plenty of good news last year at Del Mar. Not a single fatality occurred in a race during either of the 2022 Del Mar meets. There were two fatalities during fall racing, both were non-musculoskeletal and were classified as sudden death.  In 2019, the track experienced two deaths during races.

“Since we implemented a series of reforms four years ago, including enhanced training protocols and increased veterinary and track surface monitoring, Del Mar has been one of the safest tracks in the country for horse and rider,” said Del Mar President and COO Josh Rubinstein. “It is great to see similar progress throughout the state, though we know safety and welfare are ongoing and we need to stay vigilant.”

At Santa Anita, the numbers in 2019 were ugly. During the meet that began on Dec. 26, 2018 and ran through June 23, 2019, 30 horses died. And that was with Santa Anita shutting down for three weeks to try to get the problem under control. The media was relentless and every breakdown became a major story. Animal rights groups like PETA were putting immense pressure on Santa Anita and some were calling for racing to be shut down in the state.

“At the time it was a very angry place and everybody was pointing fingers at everyone else,” Butler said. “A lot of it was completely unnecessary. Nobody wants to see animals get injured. Its not good for anyone's business.  But 2019 gave us the ability to look at things differently because things had really gotten bad. Everybody understood that something had to change. Something had to give.  Horsemen, owners, trainers, everyone, understood that business as unusual will not fly anymore. The emphasis on safety had to be the core of the sport because without it the sport could be in jeopardy.”

The question became, what can be done? There will probably always be fatalities in racing, but can steps be taken to reduce the numbers significantly to the point where Santa Anita is no longer the most dangerous track in the country but one of the safest?

“Everything we do must have an emphasis on safety,” Butler said. “That's bandied around a lot and everybody likes to talk about safety and how they want the races to be safe. We had an opportunity in 2019, albeit after an awful situation, to really reset the clock and look at every aspect of how we operate at Santa Anita.”

So what they did was look at virtually every aspect of the sport and try to figure out how they could make things safer. While many factors were in play, the one that seems to have produced the most results was management's decree that horses had to constantly be under the microscope and constantly subjected to veterinary exams. In 2022, 5381 veterinary exams were conducted on 4,673 unique horses.

“If I could pick one thing that had made a difference is the vet-trainer inspection prior to a workout or a race,” said trainer Eoin Harty, the president of California Thoroughbred Trainers. “You're forced to stand there and watch your horse jog up and down the road with your vet. If there is any doubt whatsoever your vet isn't going to sign off on it because it's going to be on his head if something happens. They have to sign a book that says the horse is good and that information is turned into the racing office. All the checks and balances have to be in place.”

Benson said that trainers have learned not to attempt to race or work horses if they are having any problems that could lead to an injury.

“It's been an effort by the veterinarians that we have who work for Santa Anita as well as the private veterinarians,” Benson said. “We look very critically at horses to make sure they are ready to race. And the trainers are doing an excellent job of horsemanship and making good decisions for their horses.”

Harty said that while trainers don't like all aspects of the extra scrutiny they have come to understand that it is necessary.

“Initially, there was some push back,” he said. “But trainers in California realized at the time that we were in a dire situation and unless everybody got on board and started pulling with the same oar potentially we were going to be out of business. There is always resentment when there is a change like that but in general horsemen have come to embrace this. People can adapt very quickly when they have to.”

Management has also been extra cautious when it comes to the racing surface and hired Dennis Moore to be the track superintendent. Concerned that when there is too much moisture in the track problems could arise, Santa Anita will cancel when the weather gets to be a problem. That was the case over the last few days when racing was cancelled on both Saturday and Monday due to heavy rains in the area.

Butler said another factor has been a crackdown on the use of medications used to block or numb pain.

“We're making sure any horse out there isn't on any pain blocking medications,” he said. “With any athlete, if you have anything wrong, medications that block the pain is where larger problems can start.”

The numbers weren't perfect at Santa Anita in 2022. When turf racing, training on the main track, training on the training track and sudden deaths are included, there were 12 deaths at the track in 2022. While that's 12 too many, it represents a major decline from recent years. During the fiscal year that ran from July 1, 2018 to June 30, 2019, there were 49 total deaths at Santa Anita.

Maybe there will come a time when 12 deaths seems like a lot, and the Santa Anita team has vowed to keep working to reduce the number to as a close to zero as a racetrack can come. In the meantime and after the situation had hit a rock-bottom level, it's not lost on anyone at Santa Anita how much better things have gotten.

“What happened in 2019 is that it opened up our eyes as to how we must make this sport safer,” Butler said. “Because if we didn't the sport was going to be in jeopardy and be in jeopardy quickly. Luckily for us, Belinda Stronach is not the sort of person to shy away from a battle. We engaged in what we thought was the only way to try to fix things and the numbers we see now speak for themselves. By fixing things the way we did I think we potentially saved the sport in California.”

The post With No Main Track Racing Fatalities in ’22, Santa Anita Continues to Make Strides on Safety appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

Source of original post

Verified by MonsterInsights