Dutrow Relicensed In New York

Richard E. Dutrow, Jr., the GI Kentucky Derby-winning trainer whose history of racing infractions resulted in a 10-year license revocation in New York for a period that recently concluded last month, on Monday was granted a trainer's license by the New York State Gaming Commission (NYSGC).

The announcement was read into the record during the regularly scheduled Feb. 27 NYSGC meeting without commentary by commissioners.

“The former New York State Racing and Wagering Board revoked the Thoroughbred trainer's license of Richard E. Dutrow, Jr., on Oct. 12, 2011, imposing ineligibility to apply for any license for 10 years and [fining] him $50,000,” said NYSGC executive director Robert Williams.

“Mr. Dutrow administratively and judicially contested the penalties [that commenced] Jan. 17, 2013. Having already satisfied his fine, Mr. Dutrow's term of revocation ended on Jan. 17, 2023,” Williams said.

“Mr. Dutrow recently applied for a Thoroughbred trainer's license, which was reviewed by the Bureau of Licensing in consultation with the division of racing,” Williams said.

“Review found that Mr. Dutrow satisfied the penalty imposed by the Racing and Wagering Board, and his record is bereft of transgressions during his period of revocation. Accordingly, the bureau has determined to issue a license to Mr. Dutrow to participate in New York horse racing,” Williams said.

Dutrow spent the better part of several decades appealing medication-related penalties in several jurisdictions, and in 2013 he filed a failed federal lawsuit seeking monetary damages and a reinstatement of his licensure.

According to Equibase, Dutrow's trainees earned more than $87 million between 1979 and 2013. His trainees won multiple graded stakes, including the 2008 Kentucky Derby (Big Brown) and two Breeders' Cup races, and he often topped the trainer standings at New York tracks during the 2000s decade.

Dutrow's rap sheet of racing offenses totals at least 75 infractions spread out over multiple jurisdictions. In addition to his troubles with equine medication violations, his sanctions over the decades include multiple penalties for personal drug use, check forgery, falsified applications, failing to report a criminal conviction, plus various license refusals for “moral turpitude,”  “evidence of unfitness,” and attempts to “deceive state racing officials.”

This story will be updated.

The post Dutrow Relicensed In New York appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

Source of original post

Dickinson Honored With Galbreath Award

The University of Louisville Equine Industry Program has named Michael Dickinson the 33rd recipient of the John W. Galbreath Award for Outstanding Entrepreneurship in the Equine Industry. In addition to training, Dickinson is also known for developing Tapeta Footings, the synthetic surface widely utilized for both racing and training.

Tapeta has been installed at Turfway Park in Kentucky and at Gulfstream Park in Florida, Golden Gate Fields in California and Presque Isle Downs in Pennsylvania, as well as facilities in Canada, Australia, the United Arab Emirates and the United Kingdom.

“I am honored and flattered to receive the Galbreath Award,” Dickinson said. “The safety of the horse has always been a long-term goal of mine ever since I was a child when on small ponies I had to keep up with my mother, who was on a Grade A international show jumper. We used to jump post and rail fences, some with ditches and drops, and stone walls. Since then, I've always felt very grateful and indebted to all the horses I rode.”

A native of Yorkshire, England, Dickinson is perhaps best known as the conditioner of 1996 and 1998 GI Breeders' Cup Mile winner Da Hoss (Gone West). He was a champion steeplechase jockey before becoming a trainer, is a member of the Steeplechasing Hall of Fame and has four listings in the Guinness Book of World Records, including the record for the most racing wins [12] in one day. Dickinson owns and operates Tapeta Farm training center in Maryland.

“We are excited to present the 2022 Galbreath Award to Michael Dickinson for his contribution to the sport of racing through the creation of Tapeta and synthetic track surfaces,” K. Amy Lawyer, assistant professor and chair of UofL's Department of Equine Administration, said. “The nature of the Galbreath Award is to recognize innovation and business efforts that move the equine industry forward. Mr. Dickinson's business achievements added a new element to a sport that had been largely unchanged for centuries.”

The Galbreath Award is named for the late John W. Galbreath, a self-made man who distinguished himself in both business and as a horseman. The Darby Dan Farm founder was honored with the 1972 Big Sport of Turfdom Award and in 1974 he won the Eclipse Award for Outstanding Breeder. He was inducted into the National Museum of Racing and Hall of Fame in 2018 as one of its esteemed Pillars of the Turf.

For information on the award presentation dinner to honor Dickinson to be held Mar. 30, contact Kimberly Spear at kimberly.spear@louisville.edu or 502-852-7727.

The post Dickinson Honored With Galbreath Award appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

Source of original post

Report: More Baffert Horses, Including Arabian Knight, Moved to Yakteen Barn

According to a report in the Los Angeles Times, four more possible GI Kentucky Derby starters made the move Sunday from the Bob Baffert barn to the stable of Tim Yakteen. The four are possible Derby favorite Arabian Knight (Uncle Mo), National Treasure (Quality Road), Fort Bragg (Tapit) and Mr. Fisk (Arrogate). They join Arabian Lion (Justify), Carmel Road (Quality Road), Hejazi (Bernardini) and Reincarnate (Good Magic) who landed in the Yakteen barn earlier this month. Reincarnate finished a troubled third in Saturday's GII Rebel S. for Yakteen, Baffert's former assistant.

In addition, Fort Warren (Curlin) was sent from Baffert's stable to Brittany Russell and Harlocap (Justify), who broke his maiden for Baffert, ran for Steve Asmussen when sixth in the GII Risen Star S.

Because of a suspension put in place by Churchill Downs, Baffert is not eligible to enter horses in the Derby and any horse still in his barn after Tuesday will not be eligible to accrue points for the Derby.

“I was trying to set up as smooth a transition as I could for the horses and the owners and still allow them to get Derby points,” Baffert told the Times. “It's hard on the grooms that have been working with the horses for a year or so. We've all been around these horses and in some cases we found them [at sales]. Our whole program is based on 3-year-olds and the Kentucky Derby. It's tough to give them up. We thought we had a good chance to get an injunction, but we didn't. So, we've got to move forward, we've got to move on.”

Yakteen told the Times he will have five horses in the field for Saturday's GII San Felipe S. at Santa Anita: Hejazi, Mr. Fisk, Fort Bragg, National Treasure and Practical Move (Practical Joke). Practical Move, the winner of the GII Los Alamitos Futurity, has been in the Yakteen barn from the start.

According to the Times, Arabian Knight's next start will likely come in either the GI Santa Anita Derby or the GI Arkansas Derby. His most recent workout was Feb. 13 when he went three furlongs in :35.60.

The post Report: More Baffert Horses, Including Arabian Knight, Moved to Yakteen Barn appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

Source of original post

Santa Anita Tracks Open for Light Training Sunday

After being closed for training Friday and Saturday, Santa Anita's main track and training track were open for light training Sunday. According to Santa Anita officials, a total of 6.5 inches of rain fell in Arcadia from Thursday through Saturday, closing the track to both racing and training into the weekend.

Horses were able to jog on both tracks under partly cloudy skies Sunday. There have been no timed workouts at Santa Anita since Thursday.

More rain is forecast for the first half of next week, but the amount projected is much lighter than the recent deluge that saturated the area. Jason Egan, Santa Anita Director of Racing and Racing Secretary, said he expects both tracks to remain open for training with time workouts to resume Tuesday.

Live racing is expected to return to Santa Anita next Friday. As a result of last week's cancellations, Santa Anita has added a card for Mar. 9 and plans to run more overnight races than were originally scheduled next week.

The post Santa Anita Tracks Open for Light Training Sunday appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

Source of original post

Verified by MonsterInsights