Number of Graded Stakes in Canada to Increase to 42 in 2023

The Jockey Club of Canada's Graded Stakes Committee held its annual review of the graded and listed stakes races in Canada. The number of graded stakes in Canada will increase to 42. The increase is due to the return of the GI Canadian International and the upgrade of one listed race to Grade III status. No graded stakes races were downgraded.

The Committee reviewed the North American Race Committee (NARC) figures and the Race Quality Scores (RQS) for all graded, listed, and potentially listed races in Canada. Last year was the first year since 2019 that restricted movement of horses and humans did not hamper field size and, ultimately, race quality.

After reviewing the NARC figures and the RQS numbers for all listed and black-type races in Canada, the Committee determined that the GIII Seagram Cup S. will be upgraded to Grade II status and the Listed Belle Mahone S. will be upgraded to Grade III status. Additionally, the Ontario Damsel S. and the Algonquin S. (previously run as the Ontario Racing S.) will be upgraded to listed status.

The post Number of Graded Stakes in Canada to Increase to 42 in 2023 appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

Source of original post

Call for Offers Issued for Sale of Adena Springs Farm

An official Call for Offers and expressions of interest campaign will open Mar. 28 for the 2,300-acre Adena Springs Farm in Lexington, which was listed for sale last summer for $55 million. The campaign will conclude May 6, with final bids due by May 15.

Icon Global is handling the campaign and will issue final sale process and campaign details by Mar. 28. The sealed bidding and offer process guidelines to be released will include a buyer's ability to submit offers via Stalking Horse Bids, Sealed Bids, or Conventional Private Contract formats within the expressions of interest received on or before the closing deadline. The seller will reserve the right to negotiate and accept early offers at any time prior to the campaign close of May 15.

Buyers will be able to choose a single sale opportunity or choose from any combination of one or more subdivision parcels together with various barns, pastures, amenities, and improvements.

The farm, which was built in 2007, includes 20 barns and over 250 stalls.

The post Call for Offers Issued for Sale of Adena Springs Farm appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

Source of original post

Did Alex Canchari Suffer from CTE?

Still seeking answers as to why Alex Canchari took his own life last week at the age of 29, his family has sent his brain to Boston University's Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy (CTE) Center to ascertain whether or not the jockey was suffering from CTE, the  brain condition linked to repeated head injuries and blows to the head. Several NFL players have committed suicide after suffering from CTE.

“We have sent Alex's brain in to Boston University to see if there was CTE present,” Canchari's sister Ashley told the TDN in an email. “It will take a few weeks, if not months, potentially to get back the results.”

“Personally, I think this is very likely,” Canchari told television station KMSP. “My brother told me multiple times, 'I have hit my head so much and I've fallen so many times off of horses. I think there is something wrong.'”

Studies have shown that CTE can lead to a number of symptoms, including depression, aggressive behavior and suicidal thoughts. It can only be diagnosed posthumously. CTE is most often associated with NFL players. In February, researchers at the Boston University CTE Center reported they had found CTE in 92% of the brains of 376 deceased NFL players they had studied. The list of NFL players that suffered from CTE and committed suicide includes Aaron Hernandez, Dave Duerson, Junior Seau, Andre Watters, Phillip Adams and Jovan Belcher.

According to a 2019 story in the Louisville Courier-Journal, research shows that horse racing has the highest concussion rate of any sport. Concussions can lead to CTE. According to a report from the University of Kentucky's Dr. Carl Mattacola released at the 2015 Jockey Club Welfare and Safety Summit, 8.6% of falls by jockeys during races from 2012 to 2015 resulted in concussions.

A 2017 report posted on a University of Kentucky website concluded: “At this time there is no data to document the incidence of CTE among jockeys, though anecdotal evidence exists; for example, the effects of Gwen Jocson's repeated concussions forced her retirement from racing in 1999.”

A gofundme.com page has been started for Canchari's fiancee Brooke-Lyn Klauser and Canchari's two children, Leon and Penelope. Another unborn child is due in August.

Klauser spoke to KMSP about Canchari's struggles.

“He wasn't really open about it,” she said. “But there were some signs that we could see that he was struggling. He was always very strong around me and the kids.”

The post Did Alex Canchari Suffer from CTE? appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

Source of original post

HISA Authority Challenges ‘Piggyback’ Strategy in Amended Louisiana Lawsuit

The recently amended federal lawsuit spearheaded by the state of Louisiana against the Horseracing Integrity and Safety Act (HISA) Authority and the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) is facing a new challenge from the HISA Authority defendants, who filed a Mar. 6 motion to strike the latest version of the complaint based on allegations that the plaintiffs are “improperly” attempting to use federal rules of civil procedure to turn the case to their advantage.

The chief beef in the HISA Authority's Mar. 6 “motion to strike” filed in U.S. District Court (Western District of Louisiana) centers on the addition of an expanded slate of new plaintiffs to the lawsuit initially filed on June 29, 2022.

The plaintiffs had amended that complaint on Feb. 6, 2023, and changes to the lawsuit included the addition of 14 new individual Horsemen's Benevolent and Protective Association (HBPA) affiliates, plus a wide swath of states, racing commissions, and individual racetracks.

“Plaintiffs, having obtained a preliminary injunction from this Court that redresses their alleged harms, now seek to add a 'vast number of organizations' and States as new plaintiffs in a blatant attempt to 'extend the injunction nationwide,'” the HISA Authority's Monday filing stated.

These new plaintiffs, the HISA Authority's motion stated, “have already been litigating challenges to HISA in other federal courts for almost two years. Plaintiffs' gamesmanship is transparent. Their tactic? To use [federal civil procedure rules] to dodge [the legal] standard that dooms the pending intervention motion these same would-be parties previously filed now that the Court has issued a preliminary injunction in Plaintiffs' favor.”

The HISA Authority's motion continued: “Their strategy? To use the geographic 'range, literally from coast-to-coast,' of the new parties as justification for a shotgun request that the Court 'extend the injunctive relief currently in effect to provide nationwide relief.' Their end goal? To dismantle nationwide regulatory reforms that Congress recently amended and reaffirmed after the Fifth Circuit's opinion reinstating the preliminary injunction.

“Allowing the would-be parties–representing thousands of industry members from across the country–to piggyback on the favorable relief Plaintiffs already secured would undermine principles of justice, encourage forum shopping, prejudice Defendants, and set a dangerous precedent for future litigants looking to parlay any single plaintiff's preliminary win into an expansive nationwide class action that topples congressionally mandated regulations before any briefing on dispositive motions.”

That outcome, the HISA Authority argued, “is particularly unwarranted given that a prior stay order entered by the Fifth Circuit and intervening administrative actions by the FTC (on top of Congress's recent amendment reinforcing its commitment to the HISA regime) cast substantial doubt on the continued viability of the claims underlying the preliminary injunction presently in effect.”

The HISA Authority summed up: “The Court should strike Plaintiffs' amended complaint-at least as to the addition of the 'vast number' of new parties seeking to expand the existing relief into a nationwide preliminary injunction.”

The plaintiffs, back on Feb. 6, articulated the revised version of the lawsuit this way:

“This First Amended Complaint seeks to prevent HISA from continuing to exercise 'unchecked government power' through its FTC-approved rules or any other rules that the FTC may approve now that the Fifth Circuit has issued its mandate [in a separate, but related, case headed by the National HBPA].

“The broad collection of plaintiffs from around the country further justifies Plaintiffs' request for nationwide injunctive relief herein,” the plaintiffs' amended complaint continued.

“And this Court has already recognized that the challenged HISA rules offend the Administrative Procedure Act and HISA's statutory authority,” the plaintiffs stated.

“The Fifth Circuit has further cemented the rightfulness of that decision by rejecting Defendants' appeal of the preliminary injunction order and denying Defendants' requests for additional appellate review in this case that came after Congress tweaked the HISA Act, just as the Fifth Circuit did in [the National HBPA appeal],” the plaintiffs' amended complaint stated.

The post HISA Authority Challenges ‘Piggyback’ Strategy in Amended Louisiana Lawsuit appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

Source of original post

Verified by MonsterInsights