UK HealthCare Named Official Health Care Provider for Keeneland Meets

Keeneland and UK HealthCare have entered into a partnership in which UK HealthCare will become the track's “Official First Aid Provider” of first aid and emergency medical services to racing participants, fans and staff during race meets.

UK HealthCare will staff and equip Keeneland's state-of-the-art First Aid center, and their trauma personnel will support the emergency response vehicles stationed on track during the race day. Through this partnership, the EMS care available to jockeys, participants and patrons at Keeneland will be an extension of the Level 1 trauma service received at UK HealthCare's emergency room.

Race-day fans also will notice a uniquely designed “chase vehicle,” developed and co-branded by Keeneland and UK HealthCare, which follows horses and riders around the track during every race. The chase vehicle carries paramedics and an expert horse handler to optimize both the efficiency and effectiveness of Keeneland's coordinated response for humans and horses in the event of need.

“Keeneland's partnership with UK HealthCare offers an exciting opportunity to further elevate the quality of care we provide our riders, horsemen, patrons and staff during race meets,” Keeneland Vice President of Equine Safety Dr. Stuart Brown said. “We are fortunate in this community to have a medical network of the caliber and quality offered by UK HealthCare, and we look forward to working with their talented professionals for many years to come.”

The post UK HealthCare Named Official Health Care Provider for Keeneland Meets appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

Source of original post

New Vocations Launches 12th Annual Breeders’ Cup Pledge

Edited Press Release

New Vocations has launched its 12th annual Breeders' Cup Pledge, in which connections of Breeders' Cup contenders pledge a percentage of their Championship earnings to support the charity's mission to rehabilitate, retrain and rehome retired racehorses. To date, the pledge has raised over $800,000 to support the nation's oldest and largest racehorse adoption program.

“This event has become one of our most important annual fundraisers,” said Anna Ford, New Vocations Thoroughbred Program Director. “Providing proper aftercare for these amazing athletes is a must, and we have been very blessed to have so many owners and trainers come together during these exciting races to pledge their support for New Vocations efforts.”

Despite the challenges brought on by COVID-19, last year's pledge raised a record-breaking $150,000. Over 50 Championship contenders had owners and/or trainers who pledged a percentage of their Breeders' Cup earnings, with Authentic (Classic), Monomoy Girl (Distaff), Order of Australia (Mile), Whitmore (Sprint), Gamine (Filly and Mare Sprint), Aunt Pearl (Juvenile Fillies Turf) and Fire At Will (Juvenile Turf) emerging victorious in their Championship races.

“In 2020, at the end of a challenging year, we were very grateful for the generous support from our long-time and new pledgers alike,” Ford said. “We're excited to watch the pledge flourish this year as it has in the past, and we can't wait to welcome even more pledgers to our family as we raise the much-needed funds that ultimately help retired Thoroughbreds transition into new homes, careers and purposes.”

New Vocations will continue to seek pledges from owners and trainers until Nov. 4 in advance of the Nov. 5-6 Championship races at the Del Mar Thoroughbred Club. All Pledge information is available at www.newvocations.org/events or by contacting anna@horseadoption.com.

Founded in 1992, New Vocations has grown into the largest racehorse adoption charity in the country. Its mission to rehabilitate, retrain and rehome retired racehorses has led to the placement of over 7,500 individuals, with more than 550 retirees served by the program each year. With facilities in five states including Kentucky, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Louisiana, New Vocations serves over 40 racetracks, working directly with owners and trainers in need of equine aftercare options. New Vocations is accredited by the Thoroughbred Aftercare Alliance (TAA).

The post New Vocations Launches 12th Annual Breeders’ Cup Pledge appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

Source of original post

Crichton Says Keeneland Will Not Accept Entry for Spinster

Trainer Rohan Crichton said he has given up on his attempts to run Bajan Girl (Speightstown) in Sunday's GI Juddmonte Spinster S. at Keeneland after being told he would not be allowed to enter.

Crichton is one of five trainers recently suspended by Gulfstream officials after it was found that they were violating house rules regarding clenbuterol. He is in the midst of serving a 30-day suspension and cannot run at any of the tracks owned by The Stronach Group. However, a suspension issued by a racetrack is not reciprocal and, unlike a suspension coming from a regulatory agency, does not have to be honored elsewhere.

The TDN was unable to reach anyone from Keeneland Wednesday night to conform that Bajan Girl cannot run in the race.

“We are not running at Keeneland,” Crichton said. “I'll just sit back now and let the whole process play itself out. One day, we'll be able to look back.”

Crichton said he understood why Keeneland took the position that it did.

“I think the bad publicity around this whole thing caused them to do what they did,” Crichton said. “I understand. It's not their fight and they didn't cause this. It is what it is.”

Earlier in the week, Crichton listed Sunday's GII Beldame S. at Belmont as another possibility for his filly, but he said he would not attempt to enter that race either. When asked to clarify NYRA's position on Bajan Girl, NYRA said that it will discourage any trainer under suspension at Gulfstream from entering races at Belmont.

“NYRA is reviewing the action taken by 1/ST to suspend a group of trainers for violating house rules at Gulfstream Park,” said NYRA spokesman Patrick McKenna. “As that process continues, NYRA is requesting that these trainers immediately refrain from running horses at NYRA tracks for the duration of the suspension imposed by 1/ST. Should those trainers not honor this request, then NYRA will consider a number of options to determine if additional sanctions are warranted.”

Bajan Girl would have been a double-digit longshot in either the Beldame or Spinster. She's never won a stakes race and is coming off a a fourth-place finish in the Love Sign S. at Colonial Downs.

The post Crichton Says Keeneland Will Not Accept Entry for Spinster appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

Source of original post

PED Formulator Faces Three Years in Prison

The doping conspiracy case that has been winding through the federal court system since March 2020 netted its seventh guilty plea Wednesday when a 63-year-old Massachusetts man with a doctoral degree in cancer-related toxicology admitted to a judge that he mixed formulas that sometimes included steroids and shipped them in unlabeled vials to a Florida veterinarian who allegedly sold them to racetrack clients.

By pleading guilty Oct.6 to one count of drug adulteration and the misbranding of performance-enhancing drugs (PEDs), Jordan Fishman now faces three years in prison and a fine of up to $10,000 when he gets sentenced Feb. 8.

Appearing via videoconference in United States District Court (Southern District of New York) to change his previous pleading of “not guilty” as part of a plea agreement, Jordan Fishman also directly implicated Seth Fishman, the Florida veterinarian who is a co-defendant in the case and has a trial scheduled for January.

Jordan Fishman said Wednesday that between 2017 and his arrest in March 2020, “Seth Fishman provided the materials and formula requests. And then I made the solutions consistent with those formulas.”

Jordan Fishman said the various substances he created contained vitamins, amino acids, nutraceuticals, and, at times, steroids.

Judge Mary Kay Vyskocil did not ask Jordan Fishman to elaborate on the steroid aspect of the PED creation process. But she did want to know if he was aware the substances were to be used on racehorses.

“At the time I did it, I was not aware that they were going to be used on Thoroughbred racehorses,” Jordan Fishman said. “I knew that Seth had a [veterinary] business that involved that. I knew that the FDA was fielding complaints about Seth Fishman, and I should have looked into that further.”

The judge also wanted to know specifically why the vials were not labelled with their contents.

“Seth had requested that he be allowed to label them,” Jordan Fishman said. “And I should have known the he was doing something illegal. Obviously, it was to conceal it from whoever Seth [would] sell them to … I knew that I was not licensed to be able to move this material to Seth in interstate commerce.”

Jordan Fishman said that sometimes these PEDs got shipped outside of the country, although he was not pressed by the judge to provide specifics on those destinations.

“When I sent these items in interstate commerce, I knew that that was illegal. And I should have known it was something I shouldn't have done,” Jordan Fishman said.

The judge wanted to know if the two Fishmans are related. Jordan said they are not, but that they have known each other professionally since 2008.

Although it was not discussed during Wednesday's criminal proceedings, the two Fishmans have previously squared off in court.

TDN has obtained a copy of a federal lawsuit filed in May 2020 by Seth Fishman against Jordan Fishman and his Massachusetts-based company, 21st Century Biochemicals, Inc.

That suit–which was filed about a month after the two pled not guilty in the doping conspiracy case–alleged that Seth Fishman made $1 million in loans to Jordan Fishman's company over a period of years, and that in addition to allegedly not getting paid back, “Jordan, acting as the [president and majority shareholder of the firm], has also engaged in a scheme to defraud Plaintiff of his money.”

That case never went to trial. Both parties agreed to have it dismissed after reaching a settlement that involved the company paying $275,000 to Seth Fishman.

The alleged international “corrupt scheme” to manufacture, mislabel, rebrand, distribute, and administer PEDs to racehorses all across America and in international races began with a blitz of coordinated Federal Bureau of Investigation arrests nationwide on Mar. 9, 2020. All of the defendants initially pled not guilty, but plea changes have rolled in over the past year as the cases get closer to trials.

The veterinarian Scott Robinson was the first to be sentenced in March 2021. He got 18 months in prison and had to forfeit $3.8 million in profits.

In June, Sarah Izhaki was sentenced to time already served plus three years of supervised release for selling misbranded versions of Epogen.

Scott Mangini, a pharmacist who admitted to creating custom equine PEDs, got sentenced Sept. 10 to 18 months in prison, plus an $8.1-million forfeiture.

Michael Kegley Jr., a contractor for the Kentucky-based MediVet Equine, pled guilt to one count of drug adulteration and misbranding. He is to be sentenced Nov. 22.

Kristian Rhein, a suspended veterinarian formerly based at Belmont Park, has pled guilty to one count of drug adulteration and misbranding for use in the covert doping of Thoroughbred racehorses. As part of a plea bargain, he has agreed forfeit $1.02 million in profits plus pay $729,716 in restitution. He is to be sentenced Dec. 2.

The barred trainer Jorge Navarro has pled guilty to one count of conspiring to administer non-FDA-approved, misbranded and adulterated drugs, including PEDs that Navarro believed would be untestable and undetectable. Navarro faces a maximum prison term of five years when he gets sentenced Dec. 17. Navarro's plea deal also stipulates that he must pay $25.8 million to a list of victims that has not yet been made public.

A number of others still have their cases pending. Among them are the barred trainer Jason Servis, whom the feds allegedly recorded in wiretapped phone conversations discussing the doping of Maximum Security, the former $16,000 maiden claimer who crossed the wire first in the 2019 GI Kentucky Derby but was disqualified for interference

The post PED Formulator Faces Three Years in Prison appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

Source of original post

Verified by MonsterInsights