Qatar Racing Becomes BC Sprint Title Sponsor; Two WAYI Races Added for Champions Day

Breeders' Cup and Qatar Racing have entered into a multi-year partnership that designates Qatar Racing as the official partner of the $2-million GI Breeders' Cup Sprint, starting with this year's running at Del Mar Nov. 6. The deal also adds two races to the 2021 Breeders' Cup “Win and You're In” Challenge Series–the G1 QIPCO Champion S. and G1 Queen Elizabeth II S. (Sponsored by QIPCO), to be held on British Champions Day Saturday, Oct. 16 at Ascot Racecourse, will offer automatic berths into the GI Longines Breeders' Cup Turf and GI FanDuel Breeders' Cup Mile, respectively.

“The Breeders' Cup is one of the most famous race meetings in the world, and to have the QIPCO Champion Stakes and Queen Elizabeth II Stakes as 'Win and You're In' races on QIPCO British Champions Day will only help to evolve the prestige of the day,” said Chairman of Qatar Racing, Sheikh Fahad bin Abdullah Al Thani. “Qatar Racing is also delighted to be sponsoring the Breeders' Cup Sprint as we continue to raise the profile of Qatar Racing as an international brand and off the back of our growing success in America with the likes of Shedaresthedevil (Daredevil) winning the [GI Kentucky] Oaks last year.”

“This exciting partnership reinforces our shared commitment with Qatar Racing to promote the best Thoroughbred racing in the world to new and growing audiences,” said Drew Fleming, Breeders' Cup President and CEO. “Qatar Racing is guided by a deep passion for Thoroughbred racing, making them an excellent partner in our efforts to continuously elevate the prestigious status of the World Championships to audiences across the globe.”

The post Qatar Racing Becomes BC Sprint Title Sponsor; Two WAYI Races Added for Champions Day appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

Source of original post

Breeders’ Cup Foal Nominations Close Friday

The deadline to nominate weanlings of 2021 to the Breeders' Cup at the one-time regular nomination rate of $400 will end Friday, Oct. 15 at 11:59 p.m. ET. The $400 nomination will provide lifetime eligibility to the Breeders' Cup World Championships and the Breeders' Cup Racing Programs. All foals by a fully nominated North American stallion are eligible to nominate at the weanling rate. In addition to race benefits and eligibility, Breeders' Cup foal nominators in 2021 have received a $10,000 nominator award for each Breeders' Cup Challenge series “Win and You're In” victory. Breeders' Cup starters are eligible to earn additional awards for their nominators. Visit members.breederscup.com to nominate.

The post Breeders’ Cup Foal Nominations Close Friday appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

Source of original post

Bell Set to Retire from Godolphin

Jimmy Bell, president and racing manager for Godolphin's U.S. division, will retire from his day-to-day involvement with the operation by the end of the year, according to a release from the operation.

“Jimmy Bell is the bedrock that Godolphin USA is built upon,” said Dan Pride, Chief Operating Officer of Godolphin, USA. “His history with Jonabell is well known and he has faithfully served 20 years molding us into what we are today. He is a friend to many of us and always an example of how to live your life and focus on what is important.”

The Bell family's Jonabell Farm was acquired by Sheikh Mohammed in 2001 and Jimmy Bell was retained in his current position.

“My 20 years with Godolphin have been nothing short of a dream come true,” Bell said. “More special have been the friendships and fellowships I've developed with so many folks here at Team Godolphin. It's been my privilege and pleasure to work alongside so many wonderful colleagues.”

Bell said he plans to remain active with Godolphin as a representative on several industry boards. He currently serves as President of the Thoroughbred Aftercare Alliance and is a member of the board of the Breeders' Cup and the Fayette Alliance, as well as the Keeneland Advisory Board.

Michael Banahan, currently the Director of Farm Operations and the longest-serving Darley/Godolphin USA employee, will transition to the role of Director of Bloodstock by the end of the year. This new role will encompass Bell's racing responsibilities as well as overseeing all aspects of managing the Godolphin USA horse population.

Pride said, “Michael is an integral part of the success of the entire operation here in the US. His knowledge base covers everything from farm infrastructure needs, our stallion program, to planning the matings of such horses as Essential Quality and Maxfield. I know he's excited to assume this new and important responsibility.”

Banahan, who was named Kentucky Farm Manager of the Year in 2019, began his tenure with Darley in 1993.

“For 20 years I've had the honor to work alongside Jimmy, and while there's going to be quite a void with his departure, I am very glad for him as he enters a new phase of life,” Banahan said. “Godolphin USA has a strong team and I'm excited about taking on this new challenge.”

The post Bell Set to Retire from Godolphin appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

Source of original post

Baffert’s Hearing on NYRA Exclusion Gets Pushed Into ’22

A Jan. 24, 2022, start date for the hearing process to determine whether the New York Racing Association (NYRA) can exclude trainer Bob Baffert from racing at its three tracks was mutually agreed upon by the two parties during a Monday videoconference.

A NYRA spokesperson confirmed to TDN that the schedule was established during the Oct. 11 conference by hearing officer O. Peter Sherwood.

Baffert must answer to a three-count complaint filed against him by NYRA in the form of a “statement of charges.” Those three counts correspond to Baffert's alleged conduct that is or has been “detrimental” to three entities: 1) “the best interests of racing”; 2) “the health and safety of horses and jockeys”; 3) “NYRA business operations.”

NYRA is already defending itself in a federal lawsuit initiated by the Hall of Fame trainer with the well-publicized history of equine drug positives over whether or not NYRA violated Baffert's constitutional rights by trying to ban him outright without any type of hearing back on May 17.

On July 14, the United States District Court (Eastern District of New York) granted Baffert a preliminary injunction that allowed him to race at New York's top-tier tracks pending the resolution of his overall case.

While that ruling allowed Baffert to start horses at Saratoga Race Course, Belmont Park and Aqueduct Racetrack, NYRA additionally took the judge's order to mean the association could move forward with drafting a new set of procedures for holding hearings that could suspend licensees who engage in injurious conduct.

After those rules were made public, NYRA, on Sept. 10, wrote a letter summoning Baffert to appear at just such a hearing, presenting him with the statement of charges.

On Sept. 22, Baffert filed a motion asking a federal judge to hold NYRA in civil contempt for trying to schedule any sort of hearing that could once again bar him from participating at NYRA's tracks. He claimed NYRA's move to initiate that sort of hearing was in violation of the preliminary injunction.

But on Oct. 5, a federal judge dismissed Baffert's “contempt” allegations, underscoring that NYRA could, in fact, move forward with its newly created hearing process because it was entirely separate from NYRA's original May 17 attempt at banishing Baffert.

The post Baffert’s Hearing on NYRA Exclusion Gets Pushed Into ’22 appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

Source of original post

Verified by MonsterInsights