NYSGC Nixes McPeek’s Request for Clarity in Quarantine Entry Snafu

   The New York State Gaming Commission (NYSGC) on Monday denied a request by trainer Ken McPeek to bring clarity to the process of how and when Thoroughbreds coming out of a quarantine can be allowed to enter races.

   Back on July 15, another trainer's horse in the barn McPeek shared at Saratoga Race Course tested positive for equine herpesvirus (EHV-1). State agriculture officials, the New York Racing Association, and the NYSGC then imposed a 21-day quarantine of the entire barn retroactive to July 11, which is a common precaution in such EHV-1 outbreaks.

   The understanding was that if no other horses got sick during that time frame, the entire stable would be released from quarantine and allowed to race as of Aug. 1.

   But when McPeek tried to enter seven horses just days in advance of the quarantine's expiration for the Aug. 1, 4 and 5 cards, the entries were denied by the Saratoga stewards because the horses were still under quarantine at the time those entries were to be taken.

   After being unable to make any headway on his own, McPeek retained New York-based attorney Drew Mollica, who reached out to the stewards on July 30, some 3 1/2 hours before the Aug. 3 card was drawn, in hopes that a hearing could be held and the McPeek horses could begin running as soon Aug. 4.

   Mollica told TDN at that time that he had sent emails and placed phone calls to NYSGC steward Braulio Baeza Jr. and to the commission itself, but none of the messages yielded a reply.

   Mollica wanted to point out that a recent precedent should have been used as a template in the matter: He said that in January 2018, trainer Linda Rice was allowed to pre-enter a horse coming out of an EHV-1 quarantine prior to the actual expiration of that restriction.

   Eventually, McPeek's horses were allowed to enter races at the Spa after Aug. 1. But he and his clients had already missed out on purse-earning opportunities. Some owners had made plane and hotel reservations to come to Saratoga to see their horses run, and jockeys had given up other mounts to commit to ride the McPeek stable's horses that the trainer thought would have been able to race.

   McPeek then had Mollica formally appeal the situation to the NYSGC, seeking a declaratory judgment arguing that the stewards' position was arbitrary and capricious. McPeek also wanted NYSGC to adopt quarantine race-entry protocols so he and other horsemen would know what to expect in the future, and he asked for equitable relief to assuage the financial injury to himself and his owners.

   During the NYSGC's Nov. 8 meeting, all three of those requests were denied.

   The case was not discussed and ruled upon by commissioners during the open, public meeting. Instead, executive director Robert Williams read a prepared statement that stated the commissioners had previously heard the arguments and had designated commissioner Peter Moschetti to rule on the matter.

   “Following consideration of submissions, commissioner Moschetti found that a declaratory judgment was not available, as the time to enter horses in the desired races had passed, and that there was no longer an existing controversy that would have a direct and immediate effect upon the rights of the parties,” Williams stated.

   “Commission Moschetti also found that the granting of the relief sought would constitute issuing an advisory opinion which was not allowable under the facts and circumstances of the matter,” Williams stated.

   “Finally, commissioner Moschetti found that directing the commission to create a protocol or rule for the future to decide the issue [that was] raised was beyond the scope of the appeal,” Williams stated.

   After the meeting, Mollica told TDN via phone that he wasn't sure if there would be a next legal step for McPeek to seek remedy. But he said it's imperative that the NYSGC address the stewards' inconsistencies in how they handled the 2018 and 2021 EHV-1 entry situations.

   “While the commission chose not to delve into the facts and suggested that they procedurally had no power, the reality is that the actions of the stewards were completely contradictory to the actions they had taken in 2018 in the matter of Linda Rice,” Mollica said.

   “The horse had the exact same virus. It was exactly the same quarantine, and they allowed her to enter the day before the quarantine ended,” Mollica said.

   “It is my hope that although they didn't decide it on the merits, that Mr. McPeek's efforts brought this egregious situation to light, and that they will address it administratively in the near future, because Mr. McPeek brought the inconsistency of their actions to light,” Mollica said.

The post NYSGC Nixes McPeek’s Request for Clarity in Quarantine Entry Snafu appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

Source of original post

CHRB Issues Juvenile Turf Clarification

Amidst its ongoing investigation of the erroneous scratch of eventual purse-money-only winner Modern Games (Ire) (Dubawi {Ire}) from last Friday's GI Breeders' Cup Juvenile Turf, the California Horse Racing Board issued the following update Monday:

“Concerning the 10th race at Del Mar on Friday, November 5, the Breeders' Cup Juvenile Turf: Upon review of available videos showing the horses in the gate prior to the start of the race, the CHRB has determined that #1 Modern Games (IRE) did not rear up in the gate, as was initially reported to the CHRB by the veterinarians at the gate. The starter and assistant starter took protective steps by leading the horse out of the front of the gate. The horse did not break through the gate on its own, as was originally thought.”

Prior statements from the CHRB referenced Modern Games rearing up and hitting the back of the gate.

The post CHRB Issues Juvenile Turf Clarification appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

Source of original post

Three Jockeys Get $11K in Total Fines for BC Whip Violations

Jockeys Florent Geroux and E. T. Baird were fined $5,000 each by the stewards at Del Mar Thoroughbred Club for exceeding the California Horse Racing Board (CHRB)'s six-strikes-per-race limit on their mounts in Breeders' Cup races.

In addition, jockey Tom Eaves got fined $1,000 for raising his whip above shoulder level prior to a strike.

All of those actions were deemed to be in violation of CHRB Rule 1688, which mandates six-strike, underhand-only, no-more-than-two-hits-in succession whipping with crops that are designed to deliver lower-impact blows.

The two $5,000 fines are the highest levied for whipping infractions at any CHRB-sanctioned track since the more humane whip rules went into effect in the state in 2020.

In fact, they are believed to be the highest fines levied in a Thoroughbred race in North America since the advent of stricter whipping rules in many jurisdictions over the past two years.

Although the rulings posted on the CHRB's website did not specify the exact number of strikes administered by each jockey, Daily Racing Form has quoted the Del Mar stewards as saying Geroux delivered seven hits and Baird nine.

Terry Meyocks, the president and chief executive officer of the Jockeys' Guild, told TDN via phone Monday morning that he believed the fines were excessive and provided another example of why the sport in North America needs a uniform whipping rule.

“Flo [Geroux] has been riding basically the last 14 years. He's a well-respected rider and very accomplished. And then going over [the strike limit by one hit] it's a $5,000 fine? I just think it's over the top,” Meyocks said. “I don't think it's in [anybody's] interest to fine a jock $5,000 for going over the limit once.

“E.T. Baird, he's been riding since 1985, so that's 36 years. He comes to California [to ride occasionally], but still, you just can't change overnight what you've been doing for 36 years. And there's no warning and it's a $5,000 fine?”

With respect to the British-based Eaves, Meyocks said, “You've got to take into consideration European riders. How they ride, it's totally different than the America riders, their style. Going over [the shoulder] and he got fined? It's just [not] common sense here.”

Geroux finished second, beaten 5 1/4 lengths, on Juju's Map (Liam's Map) in the Nov. 5 GI Juvenile Fillies.

Baird rode One Timer (Trappe Shot) to a ninth-place finish in Friday's GII Juvenile Turf Sprint.

Eaves was aboard Glass Slippers (GB) (Dream Ahead), the defending victress in the GI Turf Sprint. On Nov. 6 she finished eighth in that same race. Eaves has ridden Glass Slippers in 19 of the mare's 20 lifetime races dating to 2018.

The penalization part of Rule 1688 reads: “During a race, if a jockey rides in a manner contrary to this rule, the stewards shall impose a minimum fine of $500. A greater fine or a minimum of three suspension days, or both, can be imposed, if, in the opinion of the stewards, the violation is egregious or intentional.”

Geroux took to Twitter Monday morning, writing a post that seemed to indicate he didn't realize the monetary penalty could be so high.

“I would gladly pay the fine the stewards gave me over the weekend if [jockeys] knew what the fines were going to be,” Geroux stated.

But the Del Mar stewards had made it a point to meet with the riders just prior to the Breeders' Cup to explain Rule 1688 and how they would be enforcing it. And according to Meyocks, the stewards did discuss how high the fines could be.

“I wasn't there, but I think [the stewards] were talking there was much more [in dollar amount] that they could go up to. I heard a number that could be a lot higher.”

When TDN asked Meyocks if he believed that discussion constituted fair warning about the potentially high fines, he said, “Yes. But again, the problem I have with the stewards [meeting with jockeys] at any racetrack [is] all the jocks aren't there at the same time…. That's why it's important to have one rule throughout the United States that's in the best interest of the game.”

In a separate ruling, Geroux was fined $100 for missing the Saturday morning film review that included his Friday infraction.

A CHRB spokesperson said that as of Monday afternoon, no appeals had been filed by the three Breeders' Cup jockeys, who have 72 hours from the issuance of the rulings to contest them.

If the CHRB had not altered its whipping penalty structure back in April, those $11,000 in aggregate Breeders' Cup fines could have been even higher.

In an attempt to discourage riders from disregarding the number of times and manner in which a Thoroughbred can be struck with the whip–particularly if the jockey believed the reward of winning a multi-million-dollar stakes outweighed the cost of incurring a smaller fine or suspension–a previously proposed penalty structure called for docking jockeys 50% of purse earnings if they over-whipped while finishing first, second or third in graded stakes.

But when the Guild and other stakeholders argued in March that going after purse money was too harsh, the CHRB revised that aspect before that part of the rule went into effect.

At that March meeting, CHRB vice chair Oscar Gonzales had said that “this rule is [about] making sure that the upcoming Breeders' Cup goes off [more] smoothly than anything else.” He articulated a concern that the combination of two days of

Grade I stakes and too weak a penalty scheme could create “a wild west type of a situation” in which jockeys openly flouted Rule 1688.

In terms of scale, the only recently comparable whip-related sanction in North America was a $5,000 fine and 20-day suspension levied against a New Jersey harness driver back in June.

Joe Bongiorno was penalized for whipping his pacer so indiscriminately during a Meadowlands race that the judges deemed his actions caused a three-horse spill that injured one rival horse so severely it had to be euthanized. In New Jersey, whipping a horse to make it run faster is prohibited in Thoroughbred racing but permitted with restrictions in Standardbred races.

The post Three Jockeys Get $11K in Total Fines for BC Whip Violations appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

Source of original post

Rockefeller Wires the Nashua

Rockefeller went wire-to-wire to win the GIII Nashua S. at Belmont Park Sunday. The bay colt, sent off at 4-5, sprinted out to the early lead and was pressed by Speaking (Mr Speaker) through a quarter in :23.02 and a half in :46.75. Cooke Creek rolled up four wide to challenge entering the lane, but the favorite shrugged off that foe in upper stretch and scampered clear to an authoritative victory.

“I knew the other horses would break from there running, but we have a lot of speed, so Bob [Baffert] told me to break from there and send him and see if they can keep with us,” said winning jockey Luis Saez, who was riding Rockefeller for the first time. “That was the plan, to break from there running. He kept at it. He's a very talented horse. He's still learning but he has a lot of talent. I think he's going to be a nice horse. It was great to get the mount.”

A front-running debut winner sprinting six furlongs at Del Mar Aug. 28, Rockefeller was coming off a fourth-place effort behind Friday's GI Breeders' Cup Juvenile winner Corniche (Quality Road) in the Oct. 1 GI American Pharoah S.

Pedigree Notes:

Rockefeller is a son of 2013 GI Ballerina S. winner Dance to Bristol. The mare has a yearling colt by Candy Ride (Arg)–who sold for $400,000 to Mike Ryan at this year's Keeneland September sale–and a weanling filly by Into Mischief.

The juvenile is the 84th graded winner for Medaglia d'Oro and the 39th graded winner out of a Speightstown mare.

Sunday, Belmont Park
NASHUA S.-GIII, $150,000, Belmont, 11-7, 2yo, 1m, 1:36.66, ft.
1–ROCKEFELLER, 118, c, 2, by Medaglia d'Oro
1st Dam: Dance to Bristol (GISW, $980,880),
                                by Speightstown
                2nd Dam: Dance to Dawn, by Louis Quatorze
                3rd Dam: Expressive Dance, by Riva Ridge
1ST BLACK TYPE WIN, 1ST GRADED STAKES WIN. ($750,000
Ylg '20 KEESEP). O-SF Racing LLC, Starlight Racing, Madaket
Stables LLC, Stonestreet Stables LLC and Robert E. Masterson;
B-Colts Neck Stables LLC (KY); T-Bob Baffert; J-Luis Saez.
$82,500. Lifetime Record: 3-2-0-0, $142,500. Werk Nick
   Rating: B+. Click for the eNicks report & 5-cross pedigree.
2–Cooke Creek, 120, c, 2, Uncle Mo–Genre, by Bernardini.
O-Cheyenne Stable LLC; B-Candy Meadows LLC (KY);
T-Jeremiah O'Dwyer. $30,000.
3–Judge Davis, 118, c, 2, Distorted Humor–Mylitta, by Sky
Mesa. ($280,000 Ylg '20 FTKSEL). O-Courtlandt Farms (Donald
& Donna Adam); B-Edward A. Seltzer (KY); T-Claude R.
McGaughey III. $18,000.
Margins: 2 3/4, 2 3/4, 2 3/4. Odds: 0.80, 9.20, 3.80.
Also Ran: Midnight Worker, Cairama, Speaking.
Click for the Equibase.com chart, the TJCIS.com PPs or the free Equineline.com catalogue-style pedigree. VIDEO, sponsored by TVG.

The post Rockefeller Wires the Nashua appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

Source of original post

Verified by MonsterInsights