American Oaks Grade I Status Reinstated

Automatically downgraded to a Grade II after coming off the turf and being contested on Santa Anita's main track Dec. 26, the GI American Oaks was reinstated to Grade I status after its review by TOBA-directed American Graded Stakes Committee Thursday. Queen Goddess (Empire Maker) won the 1 1/4-mile test for sophomore fillies.

Also reinstated by the committee is the GII Santa Anita Mathis Mile S., also run last Sunday. Conversely, the third turf test of the afternoon, the GII San Gabriel S., was automatically downgraded to Grade III status and will not be reinstated to a Grade II for the 2021 renewal.

It is the policy of the American Graded Stakes Committee that a race that is scheduled for the turf, however, is moved to the dirt after the closing of nominations because of unsuitable turf conditions, is automatically downgraded for that running only. It is at the committee's discretion to reinstate its former status.

The post American Oaks Grade I Status Reinstated appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

Source of original post

Judge Upholds Meadowlands Ban of Owners Associated with Indicted Trainer

A federal judge on Tuesday dismissed a lawsuit filed by eight harness owners who were banned at the tracks owned by Jeff Gural due to their ties with indicted trainer Rene Allard. Gural owns the Meadowlands in New Jersey and Tioga Downs and Vernon Downs in New York.

The case was dismissed without prejudice, meaning the plaintiffs may file a subsequent suit on the same grounds.
Despite the allegations against Allard, he had been cleared by the U.S. Department of Justice to train horses at a South Florida training center, as long as the horses under his care were not preparing to race. On Mar. 6, Gural announced that any owners who had horses with Allard would be banned at his tracks and their horses would be ineligible to race there. He also announced a ban against anyone who continued to have horses in partnership with the eight owners.

“To learn that people actually give this guy horses to train after what was discovered by the Federal investigation boggles the mind,” Gural said at the time. The owners, Kap Singh, Lawrence Dumain, Ira Wallach, Brian Wallach, Yves Sarrazin, Erin Hill, Bruce Soulsby and Allen Weisenberg filed suit, alleging violations of federal antitrust laws and state competition laws. The group alleged that Gural was attempting to “sanitize their illegal actions by attempting to smear Plaintiffs with the misdeeds of Rene Allard.”

United States District Judge Lawrence Khan disagreed, upholding the ban. “Judge Kahn clearly saw that this antitrust theory has no legs and did the right thing by dismissing the whole case,” Gural said in a statement. “This lawsuit and its outcome have only reinforced my resolve to purge PEDs from our industry even if it means defending baseless lawsuits like this or initiating my own legal actions against those who pose obstacles to our efforts, should I have to. Our industry requires, in my view, owners to be beyond reproach and held accountable for the training decisions they make.”

More so than any other track owner or manager in either Harness or Thoroughbred racing, Gural has been vigilant in his efforts to keep alleged dopers out of his tracks. Several of the Harness horsemen who were indicted in March, 2020 for their alleged involvement in a widespread scheme to dope racehorses had already been banned at the Gural tracks. Allard had been banned at the Meadowlands since 2013.

He has 4,570 career wins and his horses have earned over $53 million.

Allard, 36, was charged with misbranding and drug alteration, which carries a maximum sentence of five years. He continues to fight the charges.

During its investigation of Allard, the FBI intercepted a disturbing phone conversation between Ross Cohen and Louis Grasso, two others under indictment, discussing the deaths of horses trained by Allard who died after being given illegal drugs. Cohen referred to Allard's operation as the “Allard death camp.”

According to a deposition given by FBI agent Bruce Turpin, a raid of Allard's barn produced multiple empty syringes, the drug Glycopyrrolate, epinephrine and vials labeled “Thymosine Beta” and “for researching purposes only.”

The post Judge Upholds Meadowlands Ban of Owners Associated with Indicted Trainer appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

Source of original post

Air Force Blue to South Korea

European champion 2-year-old Air Force Blue (War Front–Chatham, by Maria's Mon) has been acquired by Pegasus Farm in South Korea, according to a report in the Blood-Horse.

From two crops of racing age, Air Force Blue is responsible for five black-type winners, including Astronomer, who won Del Mar's Qatar Golden Mile S. on the Breeders' Cup Friday undercard; and Canadian Classic winner Haddassah, who captured Fort Erie's Prince of Wales S.

Air Force Blue, bred in Kentucky by Stone Farm, brought $490,000 from Magnier, Tabor and Smith at the 2014 KEESEP yearling sale. The G1 Dubai Dewhurst S., G1 Goffs Vincent O'Brien National S. and G1 Keeneland Phoenix S. hero previously stood at Coolmore's Ashford Stud in Kentucky.

The post Air Force Blue to South Korea appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

Source of original post

Class-Action Bettors Urge Judge Not to Dismiss Derby Suit Against Baffert

Alleging that trainer Bob Baffert “is the Lance Armstrong of the horse racing world” because of a purported years-long pattern of racketeering activity related to the alleged “doping” of Thoroughbreds, a group of horse bettors who brought a class-action lawsuit seeking compensation for damages over the result of the 2021 GI Kentucky Derby urged a federal judge Wednesday not to grant Baffert's motion to dismiss the case.

The original version of the suit, led by Michael Beychok, the winner of the 2012 National Horseplayers Championship, was filed four days after Baffert's disclosure that now-deceased Medina Spirit (Protonico) had tested positive for betamethasone after winning the May 1 Derby.

Split-sample testing at two different labs approved by the Kentucky Horse Racing Commission (KHRC) has since confirmed the betamethasone overage, but no (KHRC) ruling has yet been issued over those findings.

The plaintiffs and class members of the suit have alleged that they “have been cheated out of their property” because they placed wagers on other horses and betting combinations that would have paid off had “the drugged horse” not won the Derby.

“The Plaintiffs here are not asking this Court to determine the outcome of the Kentucky Derby,” Beychok, et al, argued in the Dec. 29 filing in United States District Court (District of New Jersey).

“The stewards of the subject race will be the ones to determine the outcome of the Kentucky Derby. Regardless of the stewards' determination, Defendants have still harmed the Plaintiffs and will continue to harm individuals through Baffert's racketeering scheme. The Court is being asked to hold the Defendants accountable for the racketeering enterprise,” the filing stated.

In addition to asking the court to consider the Derby's potential pari-mutuel payouts as an assessment of damages, the plaintiffs, among other demands, are also seeking an order from the judge stating that the Hall of Fame trainer must divest himself from the sport. Baffert, plus his incorporated racing stable, remain as the only defendants after Medina Spirit's owner, Amr Zedan, was dropped from the suit by the plaintiffs back on June 23.

When Baffert asked the court to dismiss the suit Sept. 1, his filing stated that the plaintiffs “are a group of disgruntled gamblers who placed bets on the 2021 Kentucky Derby and lost.”

Baffert's argument stated that the bettors “attempt to do what courts across the country have routinely rejected: they seek to recoup their gambling losses through a myriad of frivolous claims. No matter how creatively the Plaintiffs attempt to craft their pleadings, they cannot escape the fact that every single court which has looked at gambling losses associated with sporting events has held that no claim can be maintained as a matter of law.”

The class action members begged to differ in Wednesday's filing.

“[Baffert] would have the Court believe that there is no injury because Medina Spirit has yet to be disqualified. The disqualification of Medina Spirit is inconsequential to Plaintiffs' causes of action. The [Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act] violations occurred regardless of Medina Spirit being disqualified. As alleged, Baffert entered Medina Spirit illegally [and] the Baffert enterprise has already successfully harmed Plaintiffs. Once again, Baffert has profited while the Plaintiffs have been robbed of their day at the track.”

The Dec. 29 filing continued: “Plaintiffs have stated causes of action that do not rely upon the horse racing regulations but instead are independent claims existing under federal and state statutory law and state common law. These claims are allowed whether they are allowed under the regulations or not. Defendants argue that Plaintiffs were obligated to follow the rules but side-step any obligation of Baffert's accountability.

“Baffert suggests to the Plaintiffs that if they don't like the rules they don't have to bet. But more to the point, if Baffert doesn't want to be held accountable under the laws set forth by the federal and state legislatures, then he shouldn't conduct an illegal enterprise of racketeering and fraud,” the filing stated.

The post Class-Action Bettors Urge Judge Not to Dismiss Derby Suit Against Baffert appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

Source of original post

Verified by MonsterInsights