NYRA Amends Charges Against Baffert to Include Bute Overages

by Bill Finley and Dan Ross

The New York Racing Association (NYRA) has amended its Statement of Charges issued against trainer Bob Baffert to include a pair of positive tests for phenylbutazone that occurred in 2019 in California and a subsequent inspection of the trainer's barn in which it alleges that 25 improperly labeled medications were found.

NYRA's Statement of Charges now contains allegations that, over a 16-month period prior to the 2021 GI Kentucky Derby, six horses under Baffert's care violated rules and regulations in six separate races.

Having charged Baffert with engaging in conduct detrimental to the best interests of racing, NYRA has sought to temporarily ban the trainer from its tracks. A hearing on the matter is scheduled to begin Jan. 24.

Baffert has had numerous drug positives in recent years, including the finding that Medina Spirit (Protonico) had the substance betamethasone in his system when winning the 2021 GI Kentucky Derby.

After a July 27, 2019 race at Del Mar the gelding Cruel Intention (Smiling Tiger) tested positive for a bute overage and Baffert was fined $500. One week later, the Baffert-trained Eclair (Bernardini) also tested positive for bute and Baffert was fined $2,500.

While the two bute overages were not new news, the details of the barn inspection had not previously been made public. According to the Statement of Charges, Baffert's barn was inspected by the CHRB on or about Aug. 16, 2019 and the inspection “revealed that 25 medications were not properly labeled and there was no lock on the medication cabinet.” NYRA also claims that Baffert told the CHRB that he did not know how the bute got into the horses' systems and said that he would be offering a reward to solve the case.

Rick Arthur, who was the California Horse Racing Board (CHRB) equine medical director at the time of the violations, told the TDN that, while he couldn't remember specifics of the case, such barn inspections are “routine” after a post-race medication positive to “try to identify potential sources of the violation and advise trainers how to better manage their stables.”

Arthur added that there is no regulatory requirement for drug cabinets to be locked, even though the board strongly encourages medications to be securely stored.

Furthermore, the proper labeling of medications is primarily the veterinarian's responsibility, Arthur said, and that a crucial question is: What were the mislabeled drugs?

“If it's Gastrogard tubes out of the box,” said Arthur, pointing to a commonly used ulcer medication, “it's a technical violation, and not a serious one at all. If it was serious, an official warning or complaint would have been filed against either the trainer or the dispensing veterinarian.”

The amended charges also cite a rule change implemented by Churchill Downs in which no horses trained by Baffert are eligible to earn points for the Derby or the GI Kentucky Oaks and Baffert's claims that he would hire a veterinarian to ensure against future rule violations. The veterinarian, Dr. Michael Hore, was never hired.

In addition to conduct detrimental to the best interests of racing, NYRA is charging Baffert with conduct detrimental to the health and safety of horses and jockeys and conduct detrimental to NYRA business operations.

Peter Sherwood, a retired New York State Supreme Court Justice, will serve as hearing officer in the Baffert matter.

By deadline for this story, Baffert's attorney Craig Robertson had not returned a phone call seeking comment.

The post NYRA Amends Charges Against Baffert to Include Bute Overages appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

Source of original post

Lentenor Relocates to Pennsylvania

Lentenor (Dynaformer–La Ville Rouge, by Carson City), a stakes-winning full-brother to GI Kentucky Derby winner Barbaro, has been purchased from Calumet Farm by Ryan Campbell's RisenStorm Company and will stand the 2022 season at Cabin Creek Farm in Bernville, Pennsylvania for a fee of $1,000 (stands and nurses).

The 15-year-old stallion, who previously stood in Indiana, is the sire of stakes-placed Uphold from 33 foals.

The post Lentenor Relocates to Pennsylvania appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

Source of original post

Classic Winner Rombauer Retired

Rombauer (Twirling Candy–Cashmere, by Cowboy Cal), who upset Midnight Bourbon (Tiznow) and GI Kentucky Derby first past the post Medina Spirit (Protonico) in last year's GI Preakness S., has been retired from racing, according to his owner John Fradkin, who bred and raced the colt in partnership with his wife Diane.

Trained by Michael McCarthy, Rombauer was an eye-catching maiden winner at first asking over the Del Mar turf course and finished runner-up when trying dirt for the first time in the GI American Pharoah S. before a creditable fifth behind champion Essential Quality (Tapit) in the 2020 GI Breeders' Cup Juvenile. He displayed further versatility in annexing the El Camino Real Derby on the Tapeta at Golden Gate in his sophomore debut last February and was third to Essential Quality in the GII Toyota Blue Grass S. in April ahead of his fast-finishing, 3 1/2-length success at Old Hilltop. He was last seen reporting home a distant third in the GI Belmont S.

Rombauer emerged from the Belmont with some filling in his ankles and had lightened up, prompting a layoff. He returned to serious training this past October and recorded five workouts, but was beginning to carry pressure once again in his ankles. On Dec. 31, the first day of training at Santa Anita following three days of heavy rain, Rombauer “took a bad step” when galloping and connections elected to stop on him.

“We are very disappointed,” Fradkin said in an email. “We thought we were going to Dubai in March [for the G1 Dubai World Cup] and would make a good showing, and then we were hoping to run him in the [GI] Pacific Classic later in the year. We were also looking forward to trying him back on turf. I actually think turf was his best surface and he could have been one of the better turf horses in the country.

“That's the horseracing business for you,” he continued. “The highs are very high and the lows are very low, and both the good news and the bad news often come as surprises. Winning the Preakness was of course a very high high, as I did not expect to win that day. This is a pretty big low, but it's not a tragic one.”

One of seven Grade I winners for his sire, Rombauer is bred on the wildly successful cross of Candy Ride over Storm Cat-line mares responsible for the likes of Horse of the Year and top freshman sire Gun Runner, among others. A half-brother to SP Cono (Lucky Pulpit), Rombauer is out of a daughter of Ultrafleet (Afleet), purchased by Fradkin for $10,500 at Keeneland September in 1993 and who went on to produce MGSW Calfornia Flag (Avenue of Flags) as well as the tremendous MGSW producer Cambiocorsa (Avenue of Flags), dam of GSWs Moulin de Mougin (Curlin) and Schiaparelli (Ghostzapper); SW & GSP Bronson (Medaglia d'Oro); MSW Alexis Tangier (Tiznow); and GISP Vionnet (Street Sense), dam of the late MG1SW champion Roaring Lion (Kitten's Joy).

Rombauer retires with a record of 3-1-2 from eight starts and earnings of $1,040,500. No stud plans were immediately announced.

The post Classic Winner Rombauer Retired appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

Source of original post

Thoroughbred Makeover Applications Open

Thoroughbred Charities of America is now accepting applications for the 2022 Thoroughbred Makeover and National Symposium. Applications will be accepted through the close of business Jan. 21 and accepted trainers will be announced by Feb. 15. The 2022 Thoroughbred Makeover Rulebook outlines all rules and information relevant to the competition, with changes for 2022 marked in red and clarifying information marked in blue. Interested applicants can start the process now by clicking on the Trainer Portal at tbmakeover.org.

The Thoroughbred Makeover features competition in 10 disciplines for recently retired Thoroughbreds in their first year of retraining for a career after racing. Horses and their trainers may compete in one or two disciplines of their choice, including Barrel Racing, Competitive Trail, Dressage, Eventing, Field Hunter, Polo, Ranch Work, Show Hunter, Show Jumper, and Freestyle (a freeform discipline showcasing skills of the trainer's choosing).

Horses and trainers will compete for more than $100,000 in total prize money, plus the coveted title of Thoroughbred Makeover Champion at the Kentucky Horse Park Oct. 12-15.

The post Thoroughbred Makeover Applications Open appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

Source of original post

Verified by MonsterInsights