Sanchez Suspended, Gambling an Outlet for Depression

Jockey Mychel Sanchez, who has been suspended 60 days by the Pennsylvania Racing Commission for betting on horses other than the ones he rode, is not a cheat or a race-fixer, his attorney told the TDN Friday. Rather, said lawyer Alan Pincus, Sanchez was dealing with a serious case of depression and took to gambling as an outlet. Pincus said that in all instances Sanchez tried his best to win the races in question, whether he had bet against his own horse or not.

“It was clear he was giving his best effort,” Pincus said. “He was not fixing races. He won several of the races in which he bet against his horses. The horse paid $37 in one race, $27 in another. He was just doing something crazy that only a psychiatrist can explain.”

With Sanchez's main track, Parx, dark Friday, the jockey was listed on two mounts at Laurel. After the Maryland Racing Commission learned of the Pennsylvania suspension, Sanchez was taken of his mounts. The Maryland Jockey Club and 1/ST RACING issued a statement later in the day in which it said Sanchez has been banned indefinitely.

“After learning of the serious allegations of illegal wagering on the part of jockey Mychel Sanchez, effective immediately 1/ST RACING will institute an indefinite ban against him from training or racing at any 1/ST RACING venue,” read a statement issued by 1/ST RACING. “Any decision regarding Sanchez's reinstatement will be made at a later time. 1/ST RACING stands on the principles of integrity and accountability, and we believe there is no place in our sport for this kind of unethical and illegal activity.”

Tom Chuckas, the director of the Thoroughbred division of the Pennsylvania Racing Commission, was not available to the media. A call to his office went to voice mail and no one returned the call from the TDN seeking comment. There was nothing related to Sanchez's suspension on the page on the Pennsylvania Racing Commission's website listing rulings. An official ruling will likely be issued following a regularly scheduled commission meeting next week.

Should Chuckas ever make himself available, he will likely be asked to explain what appears to be a serious offense resulted in a suspension of just 60 days.

“Mychal is a straight shooter and he has worked hard and with skill and talent has risen to a very strong position,” Pincus said. “He is the sole support for his family both here and in Venezuela and life, on the surface, was great for him. But, he was feeling depressed. And he was not doing anything to deal with it. He was just turning inward. He turned to gambling on the races for a very short period of time. I'm not a psychiatrist, but he was doing this to numb the pain.”

Pincus said that Sanchez opened a TVG account in his own name and began betting Dec. 23 and made his last bets Jan. 3. He went six for 28 during that period. During that time, he also rode at Aqueduct and at Laurel. Pincus said he was not sure whether or not Sanchez also bet against his mounts in New York and Maryland or just at Parx. If he bet against himself in New York or in Maryland, he could face additional penalties from those states.

“We will look into this,” said J. Michael Hopkins, the executive director of the Maryland Racing Commission. “But right now he's suspended in Pennsylvania, so there's no need to be in a rush because he doesn't ride here regularly. But we will definitely take a look at it.”

TVG employees noticed that the jockey had been betting against his own horses and notified the appropriate racing commissions.

Having, through his lawyer, admitted that he bet against his own horses, Sanchez will not fight the suspension.

“He was suspended 60 days starting [Friday] to the 21st of March,” Pincus said. “Obviously, it was warranted. We are not going to appeal this.”

Pincus said that Sanchez has already enrolled in a problem gambling program and has also sought out psychiatric help.

“He just did something because of a mental problem,” Pincus said. “People are responsible for their own actions, but he has to be viewed with sympathy.”

Sanchez began riding in the U.S. in 2013 and was the leading rider at Parx in 2020. According to Equibase, he's won 940 races from 6,097 mounts.

The post Sanchez Suspended, Gambling an Outlet for Depression appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

Source of original post

Blea’s Interim Suspension Hearing Plays Out

In the formal hearing Friday morning of the Veterinary Medical Board's petition for an interim suspension of California Horse Racing Board (CHRB) equine medical director Jeff Blea's medical license, both sides laid out their arguments.

In short, the deputy attorney general Elaine Yan representing the veterinary board took a procedural defense of the petition, arguing that the allegations against Blea amount to violations of standards of practice within the veterinary community as codified in the veterinary medicine practice act.

“These guidelines emphasize the importance of examinations and diagnosis,” said Yan, before zeroing in on what she said is the “most important part” of the clinical guidelines.

“It states, and I quote, 'Documentation of the use of all prescription drugs should conform to the requirements of the applicable state veterinary practice act,'” said Yan.

George Wallace, Blea's attorney, argued that the allegations against Blea don't meet the “extraordinary standard” that is typically required to suspend a veterinary license, and that no formal hearing on the “merit” of the allegations has yet been conducted and thus proven.

“You've had drunken veterinarians. You've had substance abusing veterinarians who you would not trust in a surgical suite. You have had grossly incompetent veterinarians who keep messing up even after the accusations have been filed,” said Wallace.

“In none of those cases has the veterinary medical board sought in interim suspension order. Dr. Blea is apparently the most dangerous veterinarian in existence in California, and the board has not articulated an actual present remotely likely danger that is posed by letting this disciplinary process go through the process of hearing the merits and a determination,” Wallace added.

Administrative law judge Nana Chin has 30 days with which to issue a written ruling on the case. According to Wallace, he expects that ruling to arrive by the end of next week.

Earlier this month, the California Veterinary Medical Board announced that an emergency hearing had resulted in an interim suspension of Blea's veterinary license for a number of alleged offenses, including purportedly administering “dangerous drugs” to racehorses without a prior examination, without forming a diagnosis and without medical necessity.

The veterinary board also claims that Blea presents a “danger to public health, safety and welfare,” due to his oversight as equine medical director of the high-profile investigation into the death of the Bob Baffert-trained Medina Spirit (Protonico), the Kentucky Derby winner who collapsed and died after a scheduled workout on Dec. 6 at Santa Anita.

A TDN investigation into the accusations leveled against Blea found a consensus among veterinary medical experts that the infractions are largely matters of poor record-keeping which rarely, if ever, rise to the level of a suspended license.

The role of equine medical director is first appointed by the dean of UC Davis, who then contracts out the appointee's services to the CHRB.

Last week, UC Davis placed Blea on administrative leave pending a formal review of his veterinary license–this, despite the CHRB's arguments that the position isn't one that has historically required an active license.

At the beginning of Friday's hearing, an attorney representing the CHRB attempted to formally participate in the hearing by arguing that the veterinary board's actions to remove Blea from his equine medical director position constitutes regulatory overreach.

In response, deputy attorney general Michael Yi argued that it did fall within the veterinary board's purview because the statutory definition of the position means that Blea is actively “engaging in veterinary medicine by conducting his duties.”

Judge Chin, however, said that the sole purpose of the hearing was to examine the merits of the allegations against Blea.

“This is something that will have to be dealt with at a full administrative hearing where parties can argue whether that constitutes unauthorized practice of veterinary medicine,” said Chin, about whether the equine medical director position requires an active license.

This left deputy attorney general Yan to argue that an interim suspension of Blea's license was necessary in the event Blea returned to veterinary practice.

In doing so, Yan cited a passage of the veterinary board's petition for an interim suspension against Blea where he's alleged to have administered, from January 2021 through March 2021, medications to 3,225 horses. “This averages out to be 48 horses per day,” the petition states.

“The fact that he can go back to administering drugs to 50 horses a day, thousands of horses a month, at the behest of the trainer and not in the best interest of the horses, truly poses a serious danger to public and equine health if his license is restored,” said Yan.

Wallace argued that Blea, who hasn't practiced veterinary medicine since he took over as CHRB equine medical director last year, has no intention of returning to practice in the near future.

Wallace also suggested that the judge could “fine tune” an order to deny the interim suspension for Blea so that he could resume his equine medical director post, and still prevent him from returning to medical practice.

“But you shouldn't even get to that. You should deny this petition outright,” said Wallace. “And if you could, I would ask you to vacate the original suspension as improvidently granted retroactive to January third.”

Wallace added, “The board has not met the standard for this extraordinary imposition on quite possibly one of the finest veterinarians in America, and I would submit that this must be denied and repudiated in every way possible.”

The post Blea’s Interim Suspension Hearing Plays Out appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

Source of original post

TERF Awards $4K to Midlantic Horse Rescue

The Thoroughbred Education and Research Foundation awarded $4,000 to the MidAtlantic Horse Rescue (MAHR), which rescues off-the-track Thorougbreds from feed lots and kill pens, for educational purposes. TERF's mission is to support and promote equine education by supporting organizations that are educating the public on the proper care of horses. MAHR will continue to offer Thoroughbred-only clinic series at the farm with well-known professionals.

For more information, visit www.terfusa.org.

The post TERF Awards $4K to Midlantic Horse Rescue appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

Source of original post

CBA Announces 2022 Board

The Consignors and Commercial Breeders Association (CBA) has installed its Board of Directors for 2022. The Board consists of 15 members–eight from the top 20 consignors and seven from other consignors and commercial breeders. Each year, a portion of the Board rotates off and new, eligible CBA members replace them.

The current Board members from the Top 20 consignors are: Conrad Bandoroff, Denali Stud; Carrie Brogden, Machmer Hall Sales; Pat Costello, Paramount Sales; Liz Crow, ELiTE Sales;

Walker Hancock, Claiborne Farm; Adrian Regan, Hunter Valley Farm; Allaire Ryan, Lane's End Farm; and Mark Taylor, Taylor Made Farm.

The remaining seven at-large board members include: Neal Clarke, Atlas Farm/Bedouin Bloodstock; Tommy Eastham, LegaConsicy Bloodstock; Lynn Hancock, Stone Farm; Gray Lyster, Ashview Farm; Zach Madden, Buckland Sales; Rob Tribbett, breeder; and Sean Tugel, breeder.

Officers completing their second year of a two-year appointment are: Allaire Ryan, President; Walker Hancock, Vice President; Mark Taylor, Treasurer; and Gray Lyster, Past President.

For more on the CBA, visit www.consignorsandbreeders.com.

The post CBA Announces 2022 Board appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

Source of original post

Verified by MonsterInsights