More Trainers Testify Against Fishman As Trial Continues

Two current trainers testified Jan. 27 at Dr. Seth Fishman's horse doping trial that they raced horses on illegal performance-enhancing drugs that came from the accused veterinarian.

The testimony from Adrienne Hall and Jamen Davidovich highlighted the seventh day of Fishman's trial on adulteration and misbranding conspiracy charges. Fishman was one of 27 individuals charged in the case and is the first on trial. Those charged include two prominent trainers–Jason Servis, who is awaiting trial, and Jorge Navarro, who pleaded guilty and has been sentenced to five years in prison.

Hall, of Monroe, New Jersey, trains horses at the Sunshine Meadows harness track in Florida and last raced a Standardbred last month in New Jersey. Davidovich, also an owner, raced primarily in the Mid-Atlantic in 2020-21. He has starts this year in New York and Ohio and says he approaches the sport now more as a hobby.

Both told the jury of eight women and four men how they went about getting in touch with Fishman in 2017 and 2018 with the sole intention of obtaining from PEDs that wouldn't show up in post-race testing.

“His reputation preceded him,” Davidovich, 31, of Pennsylvania said.

Hall testified Fishman gave her a PED called VO2 Max, which she used to dope a horse and win a harness race in March 2019. Prosecutors have elicited testimony that VO2 Max increases horses' oxygen levels that enable them to run faster and longer but at risk to their safety and well-being.

The jury heard a portion of an FBI wiretap that captured Hall excitedly telling Fishman about the first-place finish.

“I wish you could have seen the race,” Hall says to the veterinarian. “He was so fantastic. He dominated. He was a completely different animal. I was so happy.”

Hall added the horse's final quarter time was 27 seconds.

“What is it usually?” Fishman asks.

“Usually it's :28 or :29 and struggling,” she responds.

Hall testified that the PEDs were a gift from Fishman. She said she believed that was the case because Fishman wanted her to connect him to two trainers she knew.

One of those trainers was Todd Pletcher, the Hall of Famer who runs a large stable.

His name was revealed under cross-examination by Fishman attorney Maurice Sercarz.

Prosecutor Sarah Mortazavi, who initially questioned Hall, never asked Hall to reveal the names during her direct examination.

At the start of her direct testimony, Hall had said that before she got her trainer's license, she worked at two Thoroughbred farms and for Pletcher's stable in an administrative position, not with horses.

Hall told Sercarz that even though she told Fishman she would contact Pletcher, she never did.

Mortazavi then asked why that was when she questioned the witness again.

“He would never take my advice or opinion,” Hall testified, referring to Pletcher. “I would never approach him about something like that.”

Hall was on the witness stand, testifying against Fishman as part of a non-prosecution agreement with prosecutors. They agreed not to prosecute her for doping horses.

Davidovich was testifying without any such agreement. Instead, he invoked his Fifth Amendment right not to testify and then was compelled to testify by Judge Mary Kay Vyskocil under a grant of immunity. Under a grant of immunity, a witness can't be charged with any crimes he or she admits to.

Hall and Davidovich could, however, potentially face sanctions from regulators after their testimony. Servis and Navarro have been suspended from racing, as have other indicted individuals.

Davidovich told the jury Fishman began supplying him with PEDs after a meeting at a sushi bar in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. He said there was a third person at the meeting, a person he described as “my owner.”

Asked by prosecutor Anden Chow how the subject of PEDs came up, Davidovich responded, “We were talking about different things to make the horse run better.”

Davidovich said that as they got to know each other, Fishman complained to him about Navarro. Prosecutors say Fishman was one of Navarro's suppliers of banned PEDs.

“He said Navarro owed him a lot of money, and he was going to cut him off if he didn't pay,” the witness testified. “He also said he didn't want [Navarro] taking down the whole ship because he had a loud mouth.”

Davidovich said Fishman was referring to a video shot at Monmouth Park in which Navarro and one of his owners bragged after winning a race that Navarro was the “Juice Man.”

Davidovich said he stopped doping horses in 2018 after meeting Dr. Steve Allday, a well-known Thoroughbred veterinarian.

“He was the first person in the business who took me under his wing and taught me a different way of being involved in horse racing,” he testified.

He added: “I know what I did was wrong, and I wanted to move forward in a different way.”

   The Thoroughbred industry's leading publications are working together to cover this key trial.

The post More Trainers Testify Against Fishman As Trial Continues appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

Source of original post

Baffert Takes Stand In NYRA Hearing; KY Hearing Next

Bob Baffert testified for about 3 1/2 hours in Thursday's hearing to determine whether the New York Racing Association (NYRA) can exclude the trainer over alleged “detrimental conduct.” Much of the testimony consisted of exchanges between the Hall of Fame trainer and NYRA attorney Hank Greenberg, whose attempts to rattle Baffert were largely unsuccessful. The Hall of Famer stuck to what has been the narrative from his team since the issues of his repeated medication violations first arose–that each offense involved mitigating circumstances that explain why he wasn't deserving of serious sanctions.

During a marathon day of testimony, it was revealed by Baffert that the Kentucky Horse Racing Commission has finally set a date, Feb. 7, to begin to delve into the matter of Medina Spirit (Protonico) testing positive for betamethasone in the 2021 GI Kentucky Derby. Baffert said he was told of the hearing by attorney Clark Brewster. The Kentucky commission has yet to make any announcements regarding the date of a hearing over the Medina Spirit matter.

Typical during the NYRA hearing was the back-and-forth between Baffert and Greenberg on the subject of Gamine (Into Mischief) testing positive for betamethasone following her third-place finish in the 2020 GI Kentucky Oaks. Baffert has maintained that he gave Gamine the medication 18 days prior to the race when the rules only prohibit its use within14 days of a start.

“You ran a horse that was disqualified from the most important race for 3-year-old fillies in America, isn't that right? That is a very significant outcome, isn't it?” Greenberg asked

“That was an unjustified outcome,” Baffert replied.

Greenberg also brought up Baffert's announcement in November 2020 that he was hiring Dr. Michael Hore of Hagyard Equine Medical Institute “to add an additional layer of protection to ensure the well-being of horses in my care and rule compliance.” Hore later revealed that he never went to work for Baffert. Baffert said that the only thing that kept Hore from fulfilling those duties was the pandemic.

“You didn't do it Mr. Baffert,” Greenberg said of his promise to bring Hore on aboard. “True or not?”

“It couldn't be done because of COVID,” Baffert replied. “He was going to come in January but he couldn't make it.”

“Is that your way of saying, no, I didn't hire Dr. Hore?” Greenberg said in response. “You did not hire him.”

“He couldn't make it because of COVID,” Baffert said. “He couldn't get there until late spring.”

The hearing soon turned to Baffert's series of press conferences and interviews after it was revealed that Medina Spirit had tested positive. Greenberg alleged that Baffert's media tour hurt the sport because he brought up such things as conspiracy theories. For Baffert, his response marked a rare time where he did admit to some guilt. At the end of the hearing he said if he had to do it over again he would not have granted those interviews.

“I used the word 'cancel culture' and what I meant to say was 'knee jerk,'” Baffert said. “To say 'cancel culture' was a bad move on my part.”

But Baffert said he made such statements because he was under duress.

“I was pretty upset,” Baffert said. “That was just raw emotion, knowing that I did not inject that horse with betamethasone. I knew something was not right.”

When asked if he understood that what he said was harmful to the reputation of the sport, Baffert replied: “This was something that really hit me hard. This is the Kentucky Derby, the greatest race. This is a trainer's nightmare.”

Before Greenberg had his turn, Baffert attorney Craig Robertson led the trainer through a series of questions that included his take on what happened with Medina Spirit. Baffert reiterated his contention that the drug got into the horse's system not through an injection but through the use of a topical ointment, Otomax, to deal with a skin condition. Baffert, who, at first, said that it was impossible that betamethasone was in Medina Spirit's system, said he did so because it never crossed his mind that the drug could be present in a skin ointment. It's notable, however, that it clearly says on Otomax boxes that the ointment contains betamethasone.

Baffert acknowledges that the controversy has affected both him and his family and added that the horses taken away from him include Life Is Good (Into Mischief), who he called the “best horse training in America.”

“It's been rough and tough,” he said. “But it's one of those things where we know we have the facts and the truth. It's probably tougher on my children.”

The hearing started with testimony from Dr. Clara Fenger, a former state vet for the Kentucky Horse Racing Commission. Robertson went through the various drug positives Baffert has been hit with and asked with each one if the drugs involved were performance-enhancing, able to mask any injuries and had any pharmacological effect. Fenger answered no on each occasion.

Next up was Dr. Steven Barker, the long-time director of the Equine Medication Surveillance Laboratory and state chemist to the Louisiana Racing Commission. Like Fenger, Barker said that none of Baffert's violations were particularly serious.

“There's nothing here that matches the rhetoric that has surrounded this case and the actions of NYRA,” he said. “None of this can be considered doping. None of this can be considered an attempt to affect performance. These are common therapeutics at extremely low levels.”

The hearing will resume Friday, with closing statements expected.

The post Baffert Takes Stand In NYRA Hearing; KY Hearing Next appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

Source of original post

Odds On Racing Scholarship Applications Being Accepted

Applications for the Odds On Racing Scholarship, a four-year, full-tuition scholarship award for new and transfer students to participate in the University of Arizona's Race Track Industry Program beginning this coming fall.

“This is an incredible opportunity for students who may have thought that attending the University of Arizona to prepare for a career in racing was financially out of reach” said Robert Hartman, Chair of the Race Track Industry Program. “This scholarship covers all tuition costs of attending the UArizona's Race Track Industry Program.”

The scholarship is thanks to a very generous donation from racing enthusiast and horse owner Dana Parham and is named for his standardbred racing operation, Odds On Racing Stable. Parham donated the funding for the scholarship to support an industry that he's passionate about and has been involved with in a variety of areas over the years. Through this gift, he's supporting the next generation of professionals who will steward the sport into the future.

“This award allows the best and brightest students, from any financial background, who are interested in racing to attend the University of Arizona and join the list of distinguished RTIP alumni,” said Hartman. Especially appropriate is the name of the scholarship–Odds On Racing. This gift will certainly allow the recipient to be the odds-on favorite to succeed in their career goals.”

Click here for information on how to apply to the RTIP program and here for scholarship information.

The post Odds On Racing Scholarship Applications Being Accepted appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

Source of original post

C$1M Set To Be Distributed To Ontario Breeders

A total of C$1 million will be distributed to Ontario breeders in 2022, owing to enhancements made by Ontario Racing's Thoroughbred Improvement Program (TIP) Committee in its Mare Purchase and Recruitment Programs for the 2021-2022 sales season.

Focusing on the Mare Purchase Program (MPP), the TIP Committee increased the maximum credit available to C$75,000 from C$50,000, lowered the minimum purchase price from US$15,000 to US$10,000 and removed the $100,000 maximum purchase price restriction.

We made changes to the Mare Programs to make them less restrictive, but never in our wildest dreams did we think all the funding would be exhausted,” said David Anderson, Breeder representative on the Ontario Racing Board and TIP Committee member. The result is we are a leading jurisdiction worldwide in terms of percentage increase of Ontario-bred foals.”

The MPP has 42 mares from 31 breeders enrolled in the program, 32 of which will be bred to a stallion based in Ontario. The Mare Recruitment Program has 49 mares enrolled from 33 mare owners/purchasers and 19 will be bred to a stallion in Ontario.

“David and the TIP Committee have done a great job to open it up,” said Arika Everatt-Meeuse, who received $64,000 through the MPP. “Now it can be accessed be accessed by more people and really allows people to reach out and buy a better mare.

She added, “I would have not gone shopping without it. It just would not have fit in my budget. Stud fees and everything are going up. But with the support of the program, I was able to make it work.”

The post C$1M Set To Be Distributed To Ontario Breeders appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

Source of original post

Verified by MonsterInsights