Gulfstream Making Plans For Fans To Attend At 50-Percent Capacity During Championship Meet

Racing fans will be able to attend the Championship Meet at Gulfstream Park, according to the Thoroughbred Daily News. The South Florida track will allow fans at up to 50 percent capacity beginning on Dec. 2; Gulfstream shut down to all spectators in March due to the COVID-19 pandemic, but owners and invited guests have been allowed to attend the races under strict protocols since June.

“This thing is not going away anytime soon and we will do everything we can to keep people protected,” said Bill Badgett, the executive director of Florida racing operations for The Stronach Group. “The box area will be open and some grandstand seating, with social distancing, will be available. That way we can delegate certain sections and areas that we can control.”

Fan protocols have not yet been finalized, but are likely to include temperature checks and mandatory masks.

Read more at the Thoroughbred Daily News.

The post Gulfstream Making Plans For Fans To Attend At 50-Percent Capacity During Championship Meet appeared first on Horse Racing News | Paulick Report.

Source of original post

Central Kentucky Riding For Hope To Host Virtual Gala On Saturday, Oct. 24

Central Kentucky Riding for Hope (CKRH), a nonprofit organization that provides equine assisted therapies and activities to more than 300 individuals with disabilities each year, is hosting a virtual gala called “Saddle Up For Hope” on Saturday, Oct. 24.

The live stream broadcast will begin at 7:00 p.m. Eastern on SaddleUp2020.givesmart.comThe event will include both silent & live auctions, a raffle drawing, riding demonstrations by CKRH's young equestrians and a simulated horse auction to sponsor eight equine therapy teams for the coming year.

More than 250 items are available for purchase from such auction categories as artwork, children's, jewelry, home décor, collector's specials and more. Notable items include:

  • 24 halters from leading Thoroughbred racehorses & stallions, such as American Pharoah, Justify, Curlin, California Chrome and Constitution.
  • A raffle drawing for a 23-year old bottle of Pappy Van Winkle bourbon.
  • A one-way equine transportation flight within the domestic US.
  • A handmade dulcimer by international artist Warren May.
  • A four-day Guest Pass to the 2021 Land Rover Three-Day Event.

For more information, please call Jeannie Brewer, CKRH Development Director, at (859) 231-7066 weekdays from 9AM-5PM EST.

The post Central Kentucky Riding For Hope To Host Virtual Gala On Saturday, Oct. 24 appeared first on Horse Racing News | Paulick Report.

Source of original post

Fair Grounds Releases 2020-21 Stakes Schedule Worth $7.055 Million

Fair Grounds Race Course & Slots has announced that 51 stakes worth a combined $7.055 million will be offered during the upcoming 76-day 2020-21 Thoroughbred racing season, which is set to begin Thanksgiving Day, Thursday, November 26.

“We are proud to once again continue our growth and support of the Thoroughbred racing industry with our purse allocations and this diverse and dynamic stakes schedule,” said Fair Grounds Race Course & Slots president Doug Shipley. “We look forward to our 149th racing season and the continuation of bringing many of the best horsemen and jockeys from around the world to enjoy the high caliber racing at Fair Grounds in New Orleans.”

The “Louisiana Derby Day” card on March 20 will feature eight stakes worth a total of $2.425 million, including the 108th running of the Grade II $1 million Twinspires.com Louisiana Derby for 3-year-olds.

Previously run over nine furlongs on dirt, the distance of Louisiana Derby was extended to 1 3/16ths miles last season. The third and final local prep on the Road to the Grade I $3 million Kentucky Derby Presented by Woodford Reserve, the race is worth 100-40-20-10 points to the top four finishers. Run at 1 1/16 miles, the 53rd running of the Grade II $400,000 Twinspires.com Fair Grounds Oaks for 3-year-old fillies offers the same number of points en route to the Grade I $1.25 million Longines Kentucky Oaks.

“Lengthening the distances of all three of our Road to the Derby races proved to be quite popular with the horsemen,” said Fair Grounds racing secretary Scott Jones. “The Lecomte drew 14 entries, the Risen Star had 23 entries and was split into two divisions, and the Louisiana Derby had an overflow field. Our progressive schedule of 3-year-old races for both the boys and girls gives horsemen a great opportunity to develop their horses and compete for excellent purses.”

A pair of nine furlong, high-impact stakes for older horses are also scheduled on the Louisiana Derby Day program – the Grade II $400,000 New Orleans Classic and the Grade II $300,000 Muniz Memorial Stakes, to be run over the Stall-Wilson Turf Course. In addition, four undercard stakes are slated for the lucrative card, including the $100,000 Tom Benson Memorial for older fillies and mares at 1 1/16 miles on grass and a trio of Louisiana-bred events – the $75,000 Costa Rising Stakes, a 5½-furlong turf sprint, the $75,000 Crescent City Derby for 3-year-old males at 1 1/16 miles and the $75,000 Crescent City Oaks for females at 1 mile and 70 yards.

On January 16, the “Road to the Derby Kickoff Day presented by Hotel Monteleone” features a pair of key 3-year-old events — the Grade III $200,000 Lecomte Stakes, which was extended from a mile to 1 1/16 miles last season, and the $150,000 Silverbulletday Stakes for fillies at 1 mile and 70 yards. The top four finishers in each race receive 10-4-2-1 points on the Road to the Kentucky Derby and Oaks respectively.

Four stakes for older horses will also be presented on the January 16 program, including the $125,000 Louisiana Stakes, which was elevated to Grade III status and received a $25,000 purse increase, at 1 1/16 miles, the $125,000 Colonel E.R. Bradley Stakes at 1 1/16 miles over the Stall-Wilson Turf Course, the $100,000 Duncan F. Kenner Stakes at 5 1/2 furlongs on the turf and the $100,000 Marie G. Krantz Memorial Stakes for fillies and mares at 1 1/16 miles on grass.

On February 13, “Louisiana Derby Preview Day presented by Lamarque Ford-Lincoln” features a pair of key 3-year-old stakes — the Grade II $400,000 Risen Star Stakes presented by Lamarque Ford-Lincoln, which was extended from 1 1/16 to 1 1/8 miles last season, and the Grade II $300,000 Rachel Alexandra Stakes presented by Fasig-Tipton, for fillies to be contested over 1 1/16 miles. The top four finishers receive 50-20-10-5 points on the Road to the Kentucky Derby and Oaks respectively.

The Rachel Alexandra has produced the last two of the last three Kentucky Oaks winners in Monomoy Girl and Serengeti Empress and 2014 victress Untapable also took down the Run for the Lilies. Our 2020 third place finisher Swiss Skydiver has gone on to win five graded stakes, including the Alabama (G1) in advance of a runner-up finish in in the Oaks, and the Preakness (G1) against the boys. With such a stellar history of recent participants, Fair Grounds remains hopeful the Rachel Alexandra will soon achieve Grade I status is deserves.

Four stakes for older horses will also be presented on the February 13 program — the Grade III $200,000 Mineshaft Stakes at 1 1/16 miles, the Grade III $150,000 Fair Grounds Stakes for at nine furlongs on turf, the $100,000 Colonel Power Stakes at 5½ furlongs on turf and the $100,000 Albert M. Stall Memorial Stakes for fillies and mares at 1 1/16 miles on turf.

The December 19 “Santa Super Saturday presented by Coca-Cola” card offers a six-pack of $75,000 stakes. Four of the races are for older horses — the Tenacious Stakes at 1 1/16ths miles, the Richard R. Scherer Memorial Stakes at 5 ½ furlongs on turf, the Blushing K.D. for fillies and mares at 1 1/16 miles on turf, and the Buddy Diliberto Stakes at 1 1/16 miles on turf. The other two are six furlong events for juveniles – the Sugar Bowl Stakes for the boys and the Letellier Memorial Stakes for the girls.

Louisiana Champions Day presented by Acadian Ambulance will be held on December 14. With the races run over various divisions and distances on both dirt and turf, the program features ten stakes restricted to Louisiana-breds. Each Louisiana Champions Day stakes is worth $100,000 with the exception of the Louisiana Champions Day Classic, which carries a $150,000 purse.

The purse for the opening day Thanksgiving Classic for older male sprinters has been increased $25,000 to $125,000. The $60,000 Shantel Lanerie, to be run on March 21, has been repurposed as a route race for older Louisiana-bred fillies and mares.

The 76-day, 2020-2021 Fair Grounds racing season runs through Sunday, March 28. Regular post time will be 1 p.m. CT. The exceptions are Louisiana Derby Preview Day (February 13 at noon CT) and Louisiana Derby Day (March 20 at 11 a.m. CT).

Condition Book #1 – https://www.equibase.com/premium/eqbHorsemenAreaDownloadAction.cfm?sn=CB-FG-20201126-20201213D

Pocket Calendar & Stakes Schedule – https://www.fairgroundsracecourse.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/2020-2021-THOROUGHBRED-RACING-AND-STAKES-CALENDAR.pdf

The post Fair Grounds Releases 2020-21 Stakes Schedule Worth $7.055 Million appeared first on Horse Racing News | Paulick Report.

Source of original post

O’Brien Apologizes, BHA To Investigate Equine Mix-Up In Friday’s Fillies’ Mile

Trainer Aidan O'Brien has issued a public apology after a mix-up occurred in Friday's Fillies' Mile at Newmarket, reports the Racing Post. The Ballydoyle master's two entrants, Snowfall and Mother Earth, carried each other's numbers and intended jockeys.

Snowfall, reported to have finished third under James Doyle, actually finished eighth under William Buick.

“I contacted the BHA straight away and let them know what is after happening,” O'Brien told racingpost.com, adding that he made the call after watching the race on delay. “We have a team based in England these days because of the coronavirus restrictions, so the problem is the lads that are with the horses at home can't always go racing with them.”

“The BHA stewards have been made aware of a potential issue regarding the Group 1 Fillies' Mile at Newmarket today which may have resulted in the incorrect rider and number cloths being carried by the two horses trained by Aidan O'Brien,” reads a statement from the British Horseracing Authority. “A stewards' inquiry will be held on the racecourse tomorrow to consider all of the relevant evidence and determine the course of events and what action needs to be taken.”

Read more at the Racing Post.

The post O’Brien Apologizes, BHA To Investigate Equine Mix-Up In Friday’s Fillies’ Mile appeared first on Horse Racing News | Paulick Report.

Source of original post

Verified by MonsterInsights