New York Commission Revokes Groom License For Life After He Let Horse Out Of Stall

At a regularly scheduled meeting Oct. 20, the New York State Gaming Commission unanimously voted to permanently revoke licensing privileges of former racetrack groom Ramzan Antooa of Elmont, N.Y. Antooa was arrested on criminal charges this summer after Belmont Park security personnel witnessed Antooa letting 2-year-old filly Pasta out of her stall at the track, after which she ran loose and fell, sustaining catastrophic injuries.

Antooa was charged earlier this year with burglary and reckless endangerment of property. He faces arraignment in Nassau County Court on Oct. 22.

A hearing officer determined Antooa “lacked the general character and fitness to hold a racing license.”

Also at the Oct. 20 meeting, the commission suspended harness driver Kevin Cummings for an incident on July 18 after which Cummings was charged with “engaging in an indiscriminate, unnecessary, brutal, and excessive use of the whip” while driving Keystone Keen in the tenth race at Buffalo Raceway, resulting in visible welts on the horse.

The commission handed Cummings a six-month suspension with credit for time served and a fine of $2,500 — both increases from the hearing officer's recommendations of a 60-day suspension with credit and a $500 fine.

The post New York Commission Revokes Groom License For Life After He Let Horse Out Of Stall appeared first on Horse Racing News | Paulick Report.

Source of original post

‘Small Details’ Are Everything When Building Canadian Triple Crown’s Most Memorable Moments

Mary Currie is a little bit of a perfectionist, but she has good reason to be. She has been in the floral industry for more than 37 years and even operates her own floral design school. In addition to creating unique floral designs for weddings and special events, she is also responsible for prestigious projects such as the floral blankets for OLG Canadian Triple Crown races.

Currie opened The Monarch Florists in 1983. The next year, she was approached by Darryl Wells Sr., a neighbor and close family friend, who asked if she would be interested in making the floral blankets for signature Woodbine stake races, such as the Queen's Plate. Their previous supplier was using pins to attach the flowers to the blanket, which were not good at securing the flowers and would also prick the horses.

After a bit of trial and error, Currie's sister came up with a method of attaching the flowers to the blanket that they have kept a secret to this day. They put together a sample product and have been the exclusive supplier for the floral stoles ever since.

Currie's father was a graphic designer, and he created the patterns and templates for the blankets that she still uses today.

“Some people over the years have tried to change up the patterns, and we always comply, but they never turn out as good, especially if there is too much detail,” said Currie, who always goes back to her tried and true original designs.

Each blanket is seven and a half feet long by two feet wide. The backing is made of a special type of thick canvas, and the surface is covered with more than 1,000 chrysanthemum and daisy blooms. A double-faced satin ribbon borders the blanket, which is complete with a gold fringe on the ends.

Currie makes the blankets a few days in advance, and after 36 years, she said she feels like she can do them in her sleep. If all goes well one blanket will take approximately 4-5 hours to make, but she knows from experience that all does not always go according to plan.

“One year I didn't have enough flowers because the blooms were too small. One year I ordered the flowers from a supplier that was closing his business, and the next day all the flowers were dead. One year my supplier gave all my flowers to the wrong flower shop. I never assume that I'm going to finish a product in a couple of hours, because a lot of things can go wrong,” she said.

Despite the occasional challenge, Currie has never failed to deliver a flawless blanket. “I always stress about making sure the final product is perfect. Even if nobody else notices the small details, I notice them, and I'm happier with the product when I do the best job possible.”

Currie will soon start working on the blanket for the Breeders' Stakes, coming up at Woodbine on October 24. The event is the third jewel in the OLG Canadian Triple Crown, and this year is more important than ever. After winning the Queen's Plate at Woodbine and the Prince of Wales Stakes at Fort Erie, Mighty Heart has his heart set on becoming an OLG Canadian Triple Crown champion.

Over the years, many great horses have won a Canadian Triple Crown race and have worn one of Currie's beautiful floral stoles, but only the truly legendary horses are adorned with all three.

The post ‘Small Details’ Are Everything When Building Canadian Triple Crown’s Most Memorable Moments appeared first on Horse Racing News | Paulick Report.

Source of original post

IFHA: Owners A Chief Concern Internationally As COVID-19 Pandemic Continues

As racing jurisdictions around the world continue to wade through the complexities of the COVID-19 pandemic, international authorities agree that one of the biggest concerns they have is keeping owners engaged during this unpredictable time.

The 54th International Conference of Horseracing Authorities concluded last week with its fourth and final digital session asking racing authorities to look to the future after a rollercoaster year that saw racing suspended or altered in most places.

The biggest theme across two virtual panels was a concern about whether owners would remain engaged during a time when their ability to attend races or workouts has been limited in most places. Economic hardship has come to many people of course, which may also factor into a reduced interest in spending money buying, racing, or breeding horses.

A shrinking international foal crop was already a worry, especially for places like Hong Kong, which relies completely on imports to sustain its racing population. The pandemic has put a more glaring spotlight on the potential ramifications of this continued shrinkage. Of course, the full effects of the pandemic can't be felt for several more years, and panelists said they didn't necessarily expect to see drastic changes for the 2021 foal crop. As the years go on however, tracks and regulatory authorities will need to make changes to keep field sizes sustainable and the wagering product attractive if the population shrinks.

Tracks which rely on high-attendance events should be particularly cautious of the future, also — it's possible that even once a vaccine is developed for the novel coronavirus, some people may be wary of gathering in groups of thousands. Panelists from Britain and Hong Kong agreed that in the meantime, they believe it's important to show customers stuck at home that they take public health seriously and to instill a sense of trust before they actually ask them to come back to the facility in large numbers.

Catch a replay of the two panels below.

The post IFHA: Owners A Chief Concern Internationally As COVID-19 Pandemic Continues appeared first on Horse Racing News | Paulick Report.

Source of original post

Whip Rule Debate Reaches New York As Commissioners Question Whether Change Is Needed

Whip rules have become a popular topic at racing commission meetings in recent months, with new restrictions in California and New Jersey drawing ire from jockeys there and changes coming soon in Kentucky. Now, gaming officials in New York are considering whether they need to take additional steps to restrict whip use in the state.

At a commission of the New York State Gaming Commission held Oct. 19, officials invited several groups representing the interests of racing officials, jockeys, racetrack management, and The Jockey Club to present their views on whip regulation for informational purposes. Commissioners did not call the meeting with the intent of taking any action, but rather allowing a question and answer forum for commission members to better understand the issue before proceeding with any rule changes or choosing not to pursue changes.

Currently, state statutes in New York do not place a limit on the total number of strikes a jockey may make during a race, but stewards do impose a restriction that a horse may be hit no more than five times in a row before being given a chance to respond. Racing officials also say they can and do pull riders in for disciplinary action if they feel the whip has been misused, irrespective of the number of consecutive hits made. Riders are required to sign an acknowledgement of the waiver, which is available in both English and Spanish, before the start of each meet.

Erinn Higgins, state steward at Finger Lakes, said so far this year the track has seen four total violations related to the whip – two riders with one violation each and one rider with two. Braulio Baeza, state steward at NYRA racetracks, estimates there are no more than ten whip violations on that circuit annually, though both agree there were more when the five hit restriction was first put into place.

The stewards agreed that New York was somewhat ahead of its time in imposing some restrictions on whip use ahead of other jurisdictions. From the perspective of Carmine Donofrio, state steward emeritus for NYRA tracks, there's no reason to fix the current system if it's working. Donofrio made clear his viewpoint that further restrictions on the whip would be challenging for racing officials to enforce. Although there were no suggestions from the commission that its members were considering banning the whip except for safety or correction (as has been implemented in New Jersey), Donofrio warned that would be problematic.

“Are the stewards supposed to adjudicate that?” he asked. “What if the jockey says the horse was about to prop and I had to hit him. Are you going to call him a liar?”

Current riders and stewards agreed the number of times a rider uses a whip for safety or correction, as opposed to encouragement, is probably low, around five times or so per year. Still, when it is necessary to keep a horse's attention or correct their path of travel, riders agreed it's an option they want to have.

Hall of Fame rider Mike Smith appeared at the meeting via teleconference, as did John Velazquez and Javier Castellano. In addition to their concerns about the necessity of the whip for safety, the jockeys raised questions about the integrity of a wagering contest in which horses could not be encouraged by their riders, which might handicap some more than others. Smith recalled his come-from-behind Kentucky Derby win aboard Giacomo in 2005, an effort in which he's sure he used the whip more than the six-strike limit that now may be imposed in Kentucky.

“He was a horse you really had to ride, but he would respond,” said Smith. “As long as you encouraged him, he would go. He was like a bike — as soon as you'd stop pedaling, he'd stop running. There's no way in heck I'dve ever won the Kentucky Derby on that horse if you'd put a limit on it or if you'd made me use it in an improper way.”

Smith has been vocal in his opposition to California's new requirement that riders can only use the whip if it's turned downward in an underhanded motion, which he says jeopardizes riders' balance, is ineffective, and can easily result in the horse's sensitive flank taking the hit because the jockey can't aim well.

Similarly, Smith said Zenyatta was a horse who tended to coast after passing several horses, and often required him to use the whip to create her thrilling, narrow-margin victories.

Representatives from The Jockey Club say their research has shown riding crop use is one of the primary concerns of the public — both of non-racing fans and racing fans. A 2011 McKinsey and Company analysis showed that along with race day medication and aftercare, it was one of the top three drivers that contributed to a negative public perception of the sport. Jim Gagliano, president and chief operating officer of The Jockey Club, said he anticipates the public tolerance for whip use is going to decrease, not increase, as time goes on.

“To me and The Jockey Club, we see a future where hitting an animal with a stick isn't going to be acceptable anymore,” Gagliano said.

Gagliano believes that while current horseplayers may not be happy with potential changes to whip rules, there are potential customers on the sidelines who may be, and they are the target audience for changes like this.

Representatives of the Thoroughbred Safety Coalition, including NYRA Senior Vice President of Racing Operations Martin Panza, expressed a desire for whatever rulemaking made in the future to be uniform across the country. Of course, whip rules in California and Kentucky, two key jurisdictions in the Coalition, are already different, meaning either action or inaction in New York would still result in different rules between racing's three biggest states. Craig Fravel, chief executive officer of racing operations for The Stronach Group, downplayed the potential impact of any rule changes to horseplayers. After all, he pointed out, the number of hits a horse receives in a race isn't currently printed in past performance records, so it doesn't seem all that important to bettors.

Panza pushed a bit harder for reform, warning the commission that if something doesn't change soon, he worries racing in the state will face more public scrutiny. Ever since last year's headlines about breakdown rates at Santa Anita Park, Panza said NYRA social media managers have encountered more feedback and concern from users questioning the use of the whip on horses — and he doesn't want to see it become a topic for mainstream news.

“I think when you run a Triple Crown and you can hit a horse six times in the Kentucky Derby and six times in the Preakness, and you come to New York and you can hit them 30 times, I'm pretty sure NBC is going to bring that up,” said Panza. “Right now, New York has no restrictions on the number of times you can hit a horse.”

“Martin, they should be following us,” said Velazquez of the other jurisdictions. “We shouldn't be following them.”

The post Whip Rule Debate Reaches New York As Commissioners Question Whether Change Is Needed appeared first on Horse Racing News | Paulick Report.

Source of original post

Verified by MonsterInsights