Godolphin, Thoroughbred Charities Of America Launch Mobile App For Industry Workers

Godolphin and Thoroughbred Charities of America (TCA) jointly announced Thursday the launch of a mobile application for backstretch and farm workers. The app, called Cómo, connects Thoroughbred industry employees to the vital services they need through a network of chaplains and Thoroughbred industry organizations.

Designed by The Jockey Club Information Systems, sponsored by Godolphin, and managed by TCA, Cómo offers the ability for chaplains and industry organizations to be content creators or “contributors” on the app. Contributors can upload information about their services and resources offered, or can provide recommendations for service providers in their local areas. Service provider categories include healthcare, dental services, immigration assistance, religious services, mental health counseling, ESL classes, and much more. There are currently 22 categories in which contributors can provide a resource for industry workers.

“Cómo is the result of extensive industry research, including a survey of farm and backstretch workers, which began when Godolphin took a hard look at the needs of our industry's workers,” said Katie LaMonica, Godolphin USA's Charities Manager. “What we found is that our industry provides vital resources and services through various organizations, but what was crucially missing was the workers' knowledge of and ability to connect to those resources. Cómo exists to bridge that gap, and in doing so be a tool for those critical service providers in our industry. Godolphin is fortunate to have a partner in TCA, who has been diligently developing the app with us and will continue to successfully manage Cómo going forward. Given the depth of the research and the time it has therefore taken to develop this app, we are excited to finally release it to the industry.”

To find resources, industry employees download the Cómo app on their smart phones and follow the contributor closest to them. Users are then able to access the area resources available to them. Users may call, email, or text contributors from within the app. To learn more about how to download and use Cómo please watch this video.

Cómo also offers contributors the ability to create real-time news posts for users. The posts assist in the dissemination of time sensitive information to users on backstretches and farms.

“The Cómo app has allowed for immediate delivery of pertinent information regarding chapel events, activities and programs for the backstretch workers at Emerald Downs,” said Chaplain Gilbert Aguilar. “The app provides an opportunity to address the spiritual needs of our workers with such features as a daily biblical devotional. Additionally, the social needs of the backstretch workers can be facilitated with employment, educational and other resources and referrals to professional service providers.”

“Since the inception of Cómo, Blue Grass Farms Charities has used the application to reach out to the farm and track workers in Central Kentucky when food items are available, health screenings are scheduled, and family programs are implemented like our upcoming Festival of Christmas event,” said Julie Berry executive director of Blue Grass Farms Charities. “We've received a positive response, and it is re-assuring to know that information is being given directly to the horsemen. We are building trust when the Cómo app is used.”

“Cómo is a tool that can connect chaplains and industry nonprofits with the industry personnel they serve,” said Erin Crady executive director of TCA. “Among Cómo's many features, it allows for the transfer of important information quickly. Whether it be weather alerts, notification of a health fair, or, as we saw this year, notice of track closures, Cómo provides a way for our industry's employees to both seek and receive information they may need.”

Soft launched earlier this year, Cómo currently has more than 30 active contributors across 15 states with over 1,600 users. Chaplains or organizations interested in becoming contributors are encouraged to contact TCA at lkiber@tca.org. Cómo does not collect data on its users nor does it track users' locations. It is free and available in app stores for iOS and Android devices by searching “Cómo – Resources You Need”.

Godolphin is the global thoroughbred horseracing and breeding operation founded by His Highness Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice President and Prime Minister of the United Arab Emirates. With its headquarters in Dubai, it is one of the world's largest equine teams, operating in Australia, England, France, Ireland, Japan and the United States. Godolphin is committed to the lifetime care of its horses, including retraining and rehoming. It also works with communities and supports various education programs around the world, key industry awards and trains future equine leaders.

TCA's mission is to provide a better life for Thoroughbreds, both during and after their racing careers, by supporting qualified repurposing and retirement organizations and by helping the people who care for them. TCA distributes grants to several categories of Thoroughbred-related nonprofits including rehabilitation, retraining, rehoming and retirement organizations; backstretch and farm employee programs; equine-assisted therapy programs; and research organizations. Since its inception in 1990, TCA has granted over $24 million to more than 200 charities. TCA is the charitable arm of the Thoroughbred Owners and Breeders Association (TOBA).

The post Godolphin, Thoroughbred Charities Of America Launch Mobile App For Industry Workers appeared first on Horse Racing News | Paulick Report.

Source of original post

Retama Park Training Center To Open Dec. 1

Retama Park, located near San Antonio in Selma, TX, will open in training center mode on Tuesday, Dec. 1, 2020 and continue through Thursday, April 15, 2021.

Stalls are available at $8 per stall per day, with the opportunity for a 10 percent discount for payments made on time. Walkers and dorm rooms are available for an additional fee. The main dirt track will be open five days week, Tuesdays through Saturdays, from 7:00 a.m. through 11:00 a.m. The starting gate will be set on those days from 7:30 a.m. to 10:00 a.m.

Official workouts are available at no additional charge to horses stabled on the grounds. Ship-ins will pay a $20 daily fee for use of the track for workouts or any other purpose. Quarter Horse schooling races will be scheduled in February and early March 2021.

Retama Park is approximately a three-hour drive to Sam Houston Race Park for horsemen interested in participating at that track's 2021 Thoroughbred and Quarter Horse meets.

The Stall Application and Track Utilization Terms and Conditions are available in the horsemen section of the Retama Park website, at https://www.retamapark.com/racing/horsemen. For more information, see the Stall Application or call the race office at 210-651-7043.

Retama Park's 2021 live QH meet begins on Thursday, June 24 and goes through Saturday, Aug. 7 for a total of 20 days.

The post Retama Park Training Center To Open Dec. 1 appeared first on Horse Racing News | Paulick Report.

Source of original post

Court Documents Reveal Indicted Trainers, Others Will Move To Exclude Wire Taps

Documents filed in federal court ahead of a status conference scheduled for next week indicate defense teams in the federal case surrounding an alleged horse doping ring will likely try to get as much evidence as possible excluded before the case goes to trial. A letter filed on behalf of trainer Jorge Navarro and several of the co-defendants charged alongside him outlines a series of motions their attorneys plan to file in the route to a trial date. The list anticipates motions to dismiss certain counts, suppress post-arrest statements, expert testimony, “introduction of test results,” and evidence derived from search or seizure of property, including electronic property, among other anticipated motions. The group of co-defendants that includes Navarro is also likely to move “to exclude references to horse deaths or horse injuries at trial.”

Counsel representing trainer Jason Servis indicated that defense team will make motions to suppress wiretaps and cell phone search and seizure, among other motions. That letter to U.S. District Judge Mary Kay Vyskocil emphasized the tremendous volume of evidence provided from prosecutors, who worked with the FBI as part of the investigation, to defense attorneys.

“We note that these recent productions, which we understand total approximately 2.4 million files, are more than 43 times the cumulative volume produced to the defense prior to Sept. 29, 2020,” the letter reads.

There is some debate about how difficult it should be for defense attorneys to review the information provided to them, according to a subsequent letter to the judge from prosecutors. In that letter, acting U.S. Attorney Audrey Strauss states the government's evidence includes eight terabytes of data, including veterinary and shipping records, data from 80 electronic devices, drug marketing material, laboratory test results audio of intercepted calls and other data. All of that, Strauss, wrote, has been organized into folders and subfolders for the defense.

Strauss also outlined three groupings of defendants it expects to try together, but did not provide insight on the reasons for the groupings, as not every defendant is facing the same charges. The groups are:

Group 1: Navarro, Erica Garcia, Christopher Oakes, Michael Tannuzzo, Marcos Zulueta, Rebecca Linke
Group 2: Servis, Kristian Rhein, Michael Kegley Jr., Alexander Chan
Group 3: Seth Fishman, Jordan Fishman, Lisa Giannelli, Rick Dane Jr.

A status conference is scheduled for next week, where it's expected attorneys and the judge will confer on a possible trial schedule.

The post Court Documents Reveal Indicted Trainers, Others Will Move To Exclude Wire Taps appeared first on Horse Racing News | Paulick Report.

Source of original post

Zia Assistant Starter Sees License Revoked, Becomes Outrider At The Track

The Zia Park assistant starter who made headlines last week for commission action against his license is working at the racetrack in a different capacity, stewards confirmed Wednesday. Assistant starter Ramon Alvarez received notice of a disciplinary hearing in front of the stewards after he allegedly hit a Quarter Horse filly in the face four times with an open hand ahead of the fourth race on Oct. 20.

Previous reports, including one in this publication, indicated Alvarez had been ruled off for six months for the behavior. Steward Ron Walker clarified Wednesday that was inaccurate and Alvarez has neither been “ruled off” nor suspended. New Mexico law requires a ten-day notice to a licensee ahead of a stewards' hearing. Walker said Alvarez waived his right to notice and to a hearing on stewards' intent to revoke his assistant starter's license for six months, which enabled him to be removed from the starting gate. He did not waive his right to a hearing to determine whether he will face disciplinary measures for the incident.

A ruling issued Nov. 2 stated the stewards had rescinded Alvarez's one-year assistant starter's license for six months beginning Nov. 2 and ending May 1.

The ruling was signed by two of the three stewards. Walker said Alvarez is related to one of the other stewards, whom Walker did not identify. Walker said the steward in question recused himself from the proceedings regarding Alvarez.

As he awaits his hearing on Nov. 23, Alvarez is permitted to continue using his license as an outrider, which he had prior to the gate incident.

Walker said Alvarez had been working on the gate temporarily at the time of the Oct. 20 incident while Zia was in search of someone to fill the position of assistant starter permanently. He had been working at the gate for a couple of days prior to the incident in question.

The post Zia Assistant Starter Sees License Revoked, Becomes Outrider At The Track appeared first on Horse Racing News | Paulick Report.

Source of original post

Verified by MonsterInsights