CHRB Approves Continuing Education Program For Trainers; Poised To Further Tighten Corticosteroid, Thyroxin Use

The California Horse Racing Board at its regularly scheduled meeting on Thursday gave final approval to a continuing education program for trainers and their assistants, adopted a Multiple Medication Violations (MMV) program and took a first step toward curtailing over-use of thyroid medication.

The regulatory agency tabled until its next meeting in December a requirement that would restrict all intra-articular injections of corticosteroids to 30 days prior to racing and 10 days prior to a timed workout.

The latter issue came up in a discussion concerning agreements between the Los Alamitos Quarter Horse Racing Association and the horsemen's group for 2021. Board chairman Dr. Gregory Ferraro said CHRB Rule 1581 permits a track's race conditions to set rules on administration of medication, provided the racing association has approval from the respective horsemen's organization and the CHRB.

Beginning in March 2019, restrictions on intra-articular injections of corticosteroids were part of those agreements with California tracks. Santa Anita and Del Mar, which dramatically reduced catastrophic injuries in racing to the point there were no dirt track breakdowns throughout entire meetings, had a 30-day cutoff before races on fetlock joint corticosteroid injections and 10 days before workouts. The reduction in catastrophic injuries since the new rules went into effect “demonstrated this was a real problem,” Ferraro said.

CHRB executive director Scott Chaney said trainers at Los Alamitos, which was put on probation by the board earlier this year after a spike in fatalities, appear to be more aggressive with corticosteroids. Chaney said a review of necropsies for fatally injured horses found an average of 0.6 intraarticular corticosteroid injections lifetime for Thoroughbreds at Santa Anita, Del Mar and Golden Gate Fields. A similar review of fatalities at Los Alamitos found an average of 3.0 per horse, Chaney said.

Ferraro said he will recommend extending the 30-day stand down prior to racing for all intra-articular corticosteroid injections – not just in the fetlock joint – and at all tracks in the state. The recommendation will include a 10-day stand down prior to speed training.

Los Alamitos has agreed to include those conditions in its horseman's agreement and has also hired two additional investigators and added security cameras to its barn area.

Under the new regulation for continuing education (CHRB Rule 1503.5), trainers and assistant trainers by June 1, 2021 (and at time of license renewals thereafter) will be required to complete a total of 12 hours of approved continuing education during the preceding 36-month period. Dr. Rick Arthur, the CHRB equine medical director, said he will work in consultation with Thoroughbred Trainers of California to submit a curriculum well in advance of the 2021 deadline so that trainers can fulfill that requirement.

Arthur submitted a proposed schedule of webinars that may begin in January and include courses on basic pharmacology, drug testing, track surfaces, lameness and diagnostic imaging, equine biosecurity, equine fetlock, neurological conditions of racehorses, pre-race examinations, pharmacology of corticosteroids and non-steroidal anti-inflammatories, bisphosphonates, fractures and jockey safety, among others.

Arthur expressed frustration that thyroxin has not been more tightly regulated and recommended that the board adopt a rule that requires a thyrotropin-releasing hormone-response test to demonstrate hypothyroidism – which he called “virtually nonexistent” –  before thyroxin can be prescribed. He said New York has adopted a similar regulation and that the Stronach Group has imposed a house rule to that effect at its tracks in Maryland and Florida.

In addition to the CHRB's reports on sudden deaths in 2013 that cited widespread thyroid medication use in horses that died suddenly, Arthur said the Stronach Group has seen a large number of sudden deaths during racing and training in Maryland involving horses on thyroid supplementation.

From Jan. 1, 2020, until early October, Arthur said, nearly half of 256 thyroid prescriptions at California tracks were for two trainers and 80% involved three veterinarians. He did not name the trainers or vets.

The proposed rule was passed unanimously. It will go out for public comment before it returns to the board for a final vote.

The Multiple Medication Violations rule, an amendment to Rule 1843.4, will specify enhanced penalties for multiple violations and establish a point system under which the the enhanced penalties are imposed and include violations from both inside and outside of California.

The CHRB also approved a 2021 racing schedule for Northern California fairs, with Pleasanton getting June 16-July 13; Sacramento, July 14-Aug. 3; Sonoma, Aug. 4-Aug. 17; Humboldt County (Ferndale), Aug. 18-Aug. 31; Golden Gate Fields, Aug. 25-Oct. 5, and Oct. 20-Dec. 21; and Fresno Oct. 6-Oct. 19.

The post CHRB Approves Continuing Education Program For Trainers; Poised To Further Tighten Corticosteroid, Thyroxin Use appeared first on Horse Racing News | Paulick Report.

Source of original post

Woodbine Jockey Tests Positive For COVID-19; Live Racing Continues As Scheduled

The Woodbine Entertainment COVID-19 Health and Safety Committee confirmed today that an active jockey has tested positive for COVID-19.

Following Woodbine Entertainment's COVID-19 Prevention Protocols, the jockey will not be permitted to access Woodbine Racetrack for a minimum of 14 days while self-quarantining. At the conclusion of the 14-day self-quarantine, the jockey will be required to provide proof of a negative COVID-19 test prior to being allowed to return to Woodbine Racetrack.

Since starting live Thoroughbred racing in early June, Woodbine Entertainment has established and enforced COVID-19 Prevention Protocols that include limiting access to the Woodbine Backstretch to essential personnel only, daily screening including temperature checks for those essential personnel accessing Woodbine property, mandatory wearing of face masks or face coverings, extensive disinfecting of commonly touched surfaces and common areas, the deployment of hand sanitizing stations throughout the property, including on the backstretch, and contacting tracing and other protocols to manage any suspected or confirmed COVID-19 exposure. Woodbine Entertainment's response and management of COVID-19 is captured in its Guide to Working and Racing Safely.

In following these established protocols, contact tracing has been performed and individuals who were in close contact with the jockey who tested positive are being notified. Those individuals, which includes one other jockey, will be required to provide a negative COVID-19 test prior to being permitted to return Woodbine Racetrack. Contact tracing also confirmed that the jockey who tested positive contracted COVID-19 outside of Woodbine Racetrack.

As part of regular COVID-19 Prevention Protocols, the jockey room, and other common areas, at Woodbine Racetrack received thorough electrostatic disinfection following the conclusion of racing on Saturday, November 14, the last day Woodbine Racetrack hosted live racing.

Considering the result of the contact tracing suggests exposure to the jockey who tested positive is limited, and with the confidence in the COVID-19 Prevention Protocols Woodbine Entertainment has established and enforced, and after reviewing with outside medical professionals, live racing will proceed today as scheduled.

The post Woodbine Jockey Tests Positive For COVID-19; Live Racing Continues As Scheduled appeared first on Horse Racing News | Paulick Report.

Source of original post

Together For Racing International Promotes Thoroughbred Education, Community Engagement, Workforce Development

Together for Racing International (TfRI) – a global alliance to promote and progress education, community engagement, and career opportunities in the Thoroughbred industry – has launched the website togetherforracinginternational.com.

TfRI resulted from a 2019 education forum hosted by Godolphin in Newmarket, U.K. This event gathered Thoroughbred breeding, racing, and education professionals from six countries who addressed challenges to inclusion, attracting newcomers, supporting education, and workforce enrichment. Forum attendees collaborated on a global vision and strategy to grow and sustain the thoroughbred industry. The outcome was Together for Racing International, which focuses on three pillars for development: education, community engagement, and workforce.

TfRI is a platform for connecting the world with the racehorse. The resources and inspirational content on the website will inform students, educators, parents, and industry members about available opportunities for learning and involvement. It also serves as a networking medium for countries to collaborate and support the progression of emerging programs.

TfRI is chaired by Chris Grant and developed through a network of global steering committee members from Australia, France, Great Britain, Ireland, Japan, and the United States.

Grant was vice-chair of London's ground-breaking 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Legacy International Development Program, International Inspiration, and has moderated several editions of the global Beyond Sport Forum.

TfRI global steering committee members represent the following educational and workforce organizations: AFASEC (FR); France Galop (FR); Godolphin (Globally); Horse Racing Ireland (IRE); Irish National Stud (IRE); Kentucky Equine Talent Pipeline Project (US); North American Racing Academy (US); Racing Together (GB); The Racing Foundation (GB); and Thoroughbred Industry Careers (AUS).

“TfRI is a global connector designed to educate people about the many programs and initiatives within the worldwide thoroughbred industry,” said Erin Crady, executive director of Thoroughbred Charities of America. “It is inspiring to see the efforts in education and community engagement, as well as the various career opportunities within our industry.”

The post Together For Racing International Promotes Thoroughbred Education, Community Engagement, Workforce Development appeared first on Horse Racing News | Paulick Report.

Source of original post

Golden Gate Fields Responds To Berkeley City Council Request To Investigate Equine Fatalities

The city council in Berkeley, Calif., has written to California Horse Racing Board chairman Gregory Ferraro expressing its concern over horse deaths at Golden Gate Fields and asking the regulatory board to “investigate.” The letter stated that 22 horse deaths have been reported at Golden Gate this year, through Oct. 5. Thoroughbred fatalities during racing and training often are reported in San Francisco media.

The Golden Gate Fields grandstand and racetrack are located in the city of Albany, while the stable area is in Berkeley.

The letter was recommended by Berkeley Mayor Jesse Arreguin and two city council members and approved by the full city council on Oct. 27. The issue was not on the CHRB's agenda for its regularly scheduled meeting on Nov. 19, but Golden Gate Fields vice president and general manager, David Duggan, responded to the mayor, explaining that Golden Gate is one of the safest tracks in North America, as measured by catastrophic racing injuries. He also provided information on the extensive safety measures taken by Golden Gate's owner, the Stronach Group, and the CHRB.

“It is no exaggeration to state that the State of California and the Stronach Group race tracks have the most rigorous safety programs and most restrictive medication rules in North America,” Duggan wrote.

The full text of the letters from the Berkeley city council and Duggan follow:

From Berkeley city council:

Dear Chairman Ferraro,
We are writing to express concern over the 22 horse deaths that have been reported at Golden Gate Fields this year, as of October 5th. Golden Gate Fields, located along the border of the Cities of Berkeley and Albany, is the last Thoroughbred racetrack in Northern California and was a popular destination for Bay Area residents before COVID-19 prohibited spectators at the site.

Golden Gate Fields is operated by The Stronach Group, which also operates Santa Anita Park in Arcadia, California. In 2019, 38 horses died at that location, prompting investigations. In response, The Stronach Group implemented new measures at both sites, such as a ban on race day medications, limiting the use of whips, and installing a new safety rail on the track. While we appreciate efforts undertaken last year by the Stronach Group, the fact that more deaths have occurred this year, compared to 2019, shows that more must be done to address the treatment and welfare of racehorses.

Residents have reached out to our offices to express concern over the situation. We respectfully request the California Horse Racing Board investigate this matter. What is causing the deaths of these horses? What measures can be done to prevent such deaths from occurring? The City of Berkeley has long supported the wellbeing of animals, so hearing of these reports of multiple deaths is alarming. Please keep us informed of any actions you take to ensure the safe treatment and wellbeing of horses at Golden Gate Fields

Sincerely,
The Berkeley City Council

From David Duggan, vice president, general manager Golden Gate Fields

Dear Mayor Arreguin,
We have recently been made aware of your letter on behalf of the Berkeley City Council to the California Horse Racing Board (“CHRB”) and appreciate the opportunity to respond. While we share a common interest in safeguarding our equine and human participants, we feel it is important to point out that Golden Gate is among the safest tracks in North America with catastrophic injury rates in both 2019 and 2020 well below national averages.

Notwithstanding that safety record, we remain proactive in continuously seeking to implement safety and medication reforms developed by our parent company led by Chief Veterinary Officer Dr. Dionne Benson, DVM, as well as numerous reforms enacted by the California legislature and the CHRB. We have an onsite veterinary staff led by Dr. Casille Batten that monitors equine safety and health and works with participating trainers and private veterinary practices to develop and implement best practices directed at reducing the rate of injury. It is no exaggeration to state that the State of California and the Stronach Group race tracks have the most rigorous safety programs and most restrictive medication rules in North America.

Moreover, we have recently contributed funds to the University of California at Davis to make available at Golden Gate Fields a Positron Emission Tomography (“PET”) scanner similar to the equipment acquired at Santa Anita in early 2020. PET has proven to be a game changing imaging technology and we look forward to working with the Golden Gate training and veterinary community to take full advantage of this modality.

While the COVID-19 situation makes personal visits difficult we would be happy to take the time to meet with you and city staff along with Dr. Benson and Dr. Batten to review our various safety initiatives. We have a long tradition of good relations with the City of Berkeley, most notably the police and fire departments, and look forward to continuing that cooperative approach.

Sincerely yours,
David Duggan
Vice President, General Manager
Golden Gate Fields

Racing at Golden Gate is currently suspended because of an outbreak of COVID-19 in the stable area.

 

The post Golden Gate Fields Responds To Berkeley City Council Request To Investigate Equine Fatalities appeared first on Horse Racing News | Paulick Report.

Source of original post

Verified by MonsterInsights