Del Mar’s Bing Crosby Season Ends With Safe Racing, Bigger Fields, Increased Wagering

The Del Mar Thoroughbred Club continued its industry-leading safety record and its increased wagering trends as its Bing Crosby Season concluded on Sunday, November 29.  The five-week fall meet provided total handle of $195.9 million, an increase of 33% over last season

“A terrific meet on all levels,” said Del Mar's CEO, Joe Harper.  “First and foremost, the horses and people who care for them were safe.  Wagering, which fuels the industry's economic engine, exceeded expectations and the racing product was once again topnotch.”

Average field size was 8.1 runners per race, a healthy increase of 9.5% from 2019's number of 7.4. A total of 131 races were run, compared to 114 last year.  Grass racing, including the seven graded stakes that make up the “fall turf festival,” once again highlighted the Bing Crosby Season.  In total, races on the grass produced an impressive average filed size of 8.7.

“Outstanding support from our horsemen and horsewomen,” said executive vice president of racing, Tom Robbins. “The racing was extremely competitive and, judging by our handle numbers, horseplayers responded.  We raised purse levels prior to the meet and it's gratifying to see that pay dividends.”

Racing during the seventh Bing Crosby Season was first-rate and no more so than the track's “turf festival” emphasis on its closing Thanksgiving weekend when seven graded stakes were run on the green and drew 20 runners from the east to participate. Champion trainer Chad Brown was especially successful with his horses, winning four of the stakes including the track's two Grade I races – the Hollywood Derby with Domestic Spending and the Matriarch Stakes with Viadera.

The meet's riding and training champions looked familiar: they were the same pair that led the session last year. Jockey Abel Cedillo easily outdistanced his rivals with 19 wins during the 15-day meet. Conditioner Richard Baltas sent out 11 winners after having won last year's crown with the same 11 firsts.

Juddmonte Farms was the leading owner for money won at the session with $256,000, while owners Perry and Ramona Bass won the most races – five all told.

“To follow up our highly successful summer meet with these excellent fall season results, on both the safety and business side, is a credit to the Del Mar team and the partnership we have with industry stakeholders,” said DMTC president and COO, Josh Rubinstein.  “It has obviously been a very unusual year and we have dearly missed our fans. But we have hopes that 2021 will bring us all back toward normal and let racing shine again in its usual fashion at Del Mar.”

Del Mar now will look forward to hosting the Breeders' Cup on November 5 and 6, 2021. It will be the 38th running of the championship celebration that features 14 races worth $31 million. The seaside track previously hosted a record-breaking edition of the event in 2017.

The post Del Mar’s Bing Crosby Season Ends With Safe Racing, Bigger Fields, Increased Wagering appeared first on Horse Racing News | Paulick Report.

Source of original post

2020 At Del Mar: Team Steps Up To Face Huge Challenges

So just up ahead – after this Sunday in fact – Del Mar will wipe its sanitized hands clean of racing in 2020. In a way, the word that fits best for that is “Amen.” But in another way, what an amazingly amazing year it has been.

Like the rest of the country and most of the rest of the world, the COVID-19 thing has turned things anywhere from sideways to upside down in California horse racing. But despite shutdowns, lockdowns, purple tiers and “no you can'ts” raining down, the state – for the most part – kept on racing. And it's a darn good thing it did.

There's a simple economic formula at work in that regard: California has more than 5,000 Thoroughbred racehorses in its midst – big, strong, fast athletes that are pleasing to the eye — and totally needy. They need to be exercised, groomed, bathed, fed and pampered every day if they are to live and stay healthy. Those things can only happen to them and for them if there is racing.

If racing takes place and wagering follows, portions of the betting build purses. When owners win purse monies, they in turn can pay their trainers, who next are able to pay their grooms/exercise riders/hot walkers, all of whom do the day-in-day-out things necessary to care for their horses.

Initially, the virus threatened that whole chain of well-being. But racing being an outdoor sport, racing officials rising to the occasion, those directly involved with the horses willing to do whatever it took to continue on, the public responding positively to live athletic events – all of those circumstances allowed for the sport to carry on.

But it wasn't easy.

In Southern California, Santa Anita in Los Angeles County went to the mat first with the virus and all its ripples and – after taking some body blows – fought back and found a way. Then it came Del Mar's turn.

Del Mar was up to the challenge by calling on its most valuable resource – the team that calls Del Mar their workplace and their home-away-from-home. Dozens and dozens of them stepped up, putting egos in their back pocket and replacing them with “let's get it done” attitudes.

First up, there had to be a plan. Two of the track's stars – senior VP for operations and administration Ann Hall and director of risk management Kim Jacobson – took that one on. Two months worth of figuring, asking, calculating, phoning, cajoling, writing, rewriting, late nights and lots of sweat later the plan was down – 10 pages worth, single spaced.

Officially called the Del Mar Thoroughbred Club COVID-19 Operational Plan, the document covered it all – from the moment the first horse set foot on the grounds to the time when the last horse trailer went out the gate. It spoke directly to what every person and animal was to be about; every when, where, why and how. Backstretch, frontside, racetrack, paddock, jockeys' room, starting gate, quarantines, cleanings, food, health screenings, masks, wrist bands – and more. Just about every activity that could or would happen at the racetrack was scrutinized and presented. A guiding light in the report was the insightful aid provided by Del Mar's partners at Scripps Health, led by their chief medical officer, Dr. Ghazala Sharieff, and her expert medical team.

After setting it up, Hall and Jacobson got to live it and make it real.

“Just amazing to see how this has all gone,” Hall says. “Normally around here we plan events well ahead, then make them happen. But with this, every day was something new, something we had to react to. You had to hold on tight and be ready for anything. Lots of anxiety out there; lots of stress. But you deal with it; you have to.”

Jacobson helped present the plan to the San Diego Health and Human Services Agency.

“They came out and liked what we'd set up to start,” she said. “They indicated before the meet that it looked like we were ready. Then after we got up and running, they came back and went over it again with us, step by step. Again, we got a green light.”

Then once the racing got rolling, there were Del Mar staff members filling extra roles, tackling the flare ups as they rose up. Some folks had two, three, sometimes as many as a half dozen different jobs and roles that they had to fill.

The track's ace credentials manager, Mark Bullock, had to wear four or five different hats at different times. His take: “It was really interesting to do someone else's job and find out what it was all about.”

Ryan Frear, who normally has a nice 9-5 office gig dealing with marketing and sponsors, suddenly found himself at the Stable Gate checking in backside workers from 4 a.m. to noon. “Certainly, it was very different,” he says. “My sleep schedule, well…. But I knew we needed help and I was willing to do that anyway I could. And it's allowed me to see up close how the backside of the track really works. I think it's going to help me be better at my 'real' job.”

Sue Walls, DMTC's VP for facilities, was yet another changing out chapeaus. She was the one who had to work with the track's janitorial staff and its leader, Shayla Ward, to make sure every inch of the track was cleaned repeatedly throughout both meetings. She earned the title “The Queen of Clean” for calling the shots not only on what was to be cleaned, but also what soaps, hand sanitizers and bleaches were to be gotten and used and where they were to be located.

“I got to know our janitorial staff real well,” she states. “They're a terrific bunch and they work very hard. I also got to fill the role of providing food and snacks to the jockeys, the valets and the racing staff in the jockeys' room every racing day. I love those guys. They're just great people to work with.”

She and Bullock combined to obtain and laminate more than a thousand safety signs that were posted all around the facility to call attention to needed things in the time of virus. If you had any doubts about what you should do in most any circumstance, the signs showed the way.

Regardless of the fact that it raced 25% fewer days in the summer of 2020 than it had the year before, wagering increased to $466 million compared to $431 million in 2019. Its daily average handle rose from $12 million last year to more than $17 million in 2020.

The fall session is running in a similar pattern. The racing is the best in the country right now; it is also the safest, and handle is up a remarkable 25% as the meet heads toward the finish.

It has not been easy. Lots of blood, sweat and tears have flowed. Del Mar dearly misses its fans; the joy of cheer and shouts and claps as they are coming down the stretch is a void that is all but impossible to fill. But Del Mar carries on; it helps to keep the sport alive and going forward in Southern California.

It has, in the end, followed the wise advice offered on safety signs that sit on the walls of all of its restrooms: “Keep Calm and Wash Your Hands.”

The post 2020 At Del Mar: Team Steps Up To Face Huge Challenges appeared first on Horse Racing News | Paulick Report.

Source of original post

Jockey Oisin Murphy Gets Three-Month Ban In France: Sex Partner Said To Have Caused Cocaine Positive

Two-time reigning British champion jockey Oisin Murphy has been banned three months by France Galop after testing positive for cocaine while riding at Chantilly in July. In issuing the suspension, the French racing authority has accepted an explanation from the 25-year-old rider that the positive test was the result of “environmental contamination” that came from sexual contact on the eve of the French race with a woman who had used cocaine.

The ban, which runs from Dec. 11 through March 11, is three months shorter than other jockeys have received for similar offenses without the environmental contamination defense.

The full France Galop decision and reasoning (in French) can be found here. Murphy provided an independent hair sample drug test that did not detect cocaine. It can be found here.

A portion of the France Galop decision translated by Google into English states that “… the most likely scenario would be to have had a partner using a substance prohibited which may lead, during intimate moments, to exchanges of bodily fluids or surface contamination and that the consequence of these situations is a molecular transfer, likely to cause an abnormal analytical result in the competitor  … adding that the day before the race, Oisin Murphy had sex with a young girl and has since learned that she uses cocaine occasionally.”

Murphy released a lengthy statement and response through the Professional Jockeys Association, the entirety of which can be read below:

“Oisin Murphy, the 2019 and 2020 Champion Flat Jockey, was today informed that the Commissioners of France Galop have found him in breach of their rules as a result of a positive sample provided by him at Chantilly on the 19th July 2020 and have suspended him from riding for three months.

“In the decision, the Commissioners have accepted Oisin's explanation that he did not take cocaine and that the positive sample arose as a result of unintentional, environmental contamination. However, he must serve a three-month suspension as the Rules relating to prohibited substances operate on a strict liability basis and he failed to avoid putting himself into a situation where environmental contamination could occur.

“Commenting on the decision, Oisin Murphy said:

“'I would like to thank France Galop and the panel of Commissioners for a fair hearing and for accepting the evidence I presented that I had not taken cocaine. This evidence included my hair sample results – the results of which I am making public today – and an expert witness statement from an eminent toxicology and anti-doping expert.

“'Whilst I am obviously disappointed that I will still have to serve a three-month suspension, I am pleased the Commissioners accepted the evidence presented and am hugely relieved to have been cleared of taking cocaine.

“'I respect the rules of France Galop, respect their decision and will not be appealing. Despite my relief, I regretfully put myself in a situation whereby cocaine has been able to filter into my system through environmental contamination and must live with the consequences. As a professional sportsman I cannot put myself in a similar situation again.

“'Even though I have been exonerated from taking cocaine, I would like to take this opportunity to apologise to Sheikh Fahad al Thani, David Redvers and Andrew Balding and thank them for their support. I also want to thank my legal team, particularly Florence Gaudilliere, who represented me in France but also Rory Mac Neice, the Professional Jockeys Association, Johnno Spence and others who have advised and supported me throughout.

“'Finally, I would also like to apologise to the whole Qatar Racing team, to the owners and trainers I ride for, my supporters, my weighing room colleagues and to my commercial partners as well as Racing to School.

“The next three months will give me much time to reflect on my actions but I will learn from this experience and come back better and even more determined than before.'”

“Andrew Balding commented:

“'Oisin Murphy arrived at Kingsclere in 2012 and is very much part of the Park House family. I have been very proud to watch him thrive in the saddle but also as an ambassador for the sport. Oisin is a kind, trustworthy and dedicated part of the team. I never doubted he was innocent but I know this will really hurt him and I will make sure we do everything to help him return as a stronger and better person.'”

The post Jockey Oisin Murphy Gets Three-Month Ban In France: Sex Partner Said To Have Caused Cocaine Positive appeared first on Horse Racing News | Paulick Report.

Source of original post

No Reversal By Ontario Government; Woodbine Meet Officially Over

Woodbine Entertainment provided the following update on the 2020 Thoroughbred meet:

Despite efforts to gain approval from the government of Ontario to safely complete the 2020 Thoroughbred meet, we have made the decision to officially cancel the remainder of the season.

“While I am extremely disappointed we are not able to complete the 2020 Thoroughbred meet, what we achieved this year in face of significant adversity is quite remarkable,” said Jim Lawson, CEO, Woodbine Entertainment. “I have been around horse racing my entire life and I can proudly say that I have never seen the industry come together as it did throughout this year.

“Together, we were able to develop, implement and follow strict COVID-19 Prevention Protocols that allowed us to be the first sport to return to competition in Canada since the shutdowns in March,” said Lawson. “We safely resumed racing in early June and ran almost 100 racing cards, more than 900 races, and the majority of our stakes schedule, including the 161st running of The Queen's Plate.

“We hope the government of Ontario has gained a better understanding of our business and appreciation of our safety record in operating live racing without spectators.”

The post No Reversal By Ontario Government; Woodbine Meet Officially Over appeared first on Horse Racing News | Paulick Report.

Source of original post

Verified by MonsterInsights