Velocitor Spoils Paramount Prince’s Canadian Triple Crown Hopes With Prince Of Wales Upset

Victory tasted twice as sweet for jockey Justin Stein after winning the 88th Prince of Wales Stakes aboard Velocitor at Fort Erie Race Track in Ontario, Canada, on Tuesday evening.

“Deja vu,” said Stein after becoming a back-to-back winner of the Prince of Wales. “It feels awesome to do it again. Winning the Prince of Wales two years in a row is very, very special, and something I'll always remember.”

Stein was aboard the 2022 winner, Duke of Love, for trainer Josie Carroll

Riding Al and Bill Ulwelling's homebred gelding Velocitor, Stein had to play catchup to Paramount Prince, who bolted out to an early lead in the 1 3/16-mile fixture run over a sloppy track. Having  won the King's Plate wire to wire last month, Paramount Prince was attempting to capture the second jewel of the OLG Canadian Triple Crown, but Velocitor dashed those hopes with a strong ride down the stretch, pulling away late to win by one length. Paramount Prince finished third in the Prince of Wales, a neck behind Kaukokaipuu.

They were followed by Cool Kiss, Tiburon, Twin City, 3-2 favorite Stanley House, Trinity Park, Stayhonor Goodside, Morstachy's, and Ottawa.

Final time was 1:55.24 following fractions of :22.80,: 45.99, 1:10.19 and 1:35.36.

“I sent him out there and made sure we were right in touch with Paramount Prince, that way I had options,” said Stein, who wasn't worried about trailing for the first stretch. “He's got a really high cruising speed.”

Trained by Kevin Attard, the son of Mor Spirit improved on a fourth-place finish in the King's Plate, returning $17.70 to backers.

Attard and the Ulwellings teamed up to win the 2021 Prince of Wales with Haddassah. Attard also won the race in 2007 with Alezzandro.

The 11 runners made this year's Prince of Wales the largest field in two decades, which drove wagering to a record high for the track. For the first time in its history, wagering on the Prince of Wales Stakes topped $1 million, with on-track and off-track wagering combining to reach $1.05 million on the second jewel of the OLG Canadian Triple Crown. The track nearly doubled its previous record of $635,000.

Despite a heavy downpour earlier in the day, the $3.48 million in total wagering on the Prince of Wales card was the largest handle in Fort Erie's 126-year history.

The Prince of Wales undercard featured two $100,000 Ontario Sired Heritage Series Stakes.

One Bay Hemingway and jockey Luis Contreras were victorious after a photo finish in the Lake Erie Stakes for trainer Sid Attard and owner Norseman Racing Stable.

Fashionably Fab was first across the finish line in the Rondeau Bay Stakes. The 3-year-old daughter of Silent Name was guided to victory by jockey Patrick Husbands for Terra Racing Stable and trainer Kevin Attard.

Racing highlights also included two Fort Erie Cup races. Trish the Dish secured this year's Molson Cup. The 7-year-old English Channel mare was piloted by jockey Sunny Singh for Trinity Racing Stables Inc., and trainer Louie Capi.

Vinnie Van Go and jockey Melanie Pinto were victorious in the Le Cinquieme Essai Cup for trainer Julie Mathes and owners Joseph and Charles Loiacano.

Live racing continues at Fort Erie Race Track on Mondays and Tuesday through Oct. 16. The track's final event is a Halloween-themed day, Track-O-Lantern, on Oct. 9 where kids in costume can come trick-or-treat around the historic border oval.

For more information visit www.forterieracing.com.

The post Velocitor Spoils Paramount Prince’s Canadian Triple Crown Hopes With Prince Of Wales Upset appeared first on Horse Racing News | Paulick Report.

Source of original post

HISA Releases Findings of Churchill Downs Investigation, Announces Initiatives to Reduce Equine Fatalities

September 12, 2023 – The Horseracing Integrity and Safety Authority (HISA) today released a report detailing the findings of its investigation into the circumstances surrounding the 12 equine fatalities that took place at Churchill Downs Racetrack from April 27 – May 27, 2023.

Read More...

Source of original post

Multiple Grade 1 Winner Snap Decision ‘Fresh’ For Third Attempt In Lonesome Glory

Snap Decision, trained by Hall of Famer Jack Fisher for owner Bruton Street-US, will hope to make the third time the charm in Thursday's Grade 1, $150,000 Lonesome Glory Handicap, a 2 1/2-mile steeplechase for older horses on Opening Day of the Belmont at the Big A fall meet.

The 9-year-old Hard Spun gelding has finished second as the mutuel favorite in the last two runnings of the Lonesome Glory, landing two lengths back of The Mean Queen in 2021 when racing from a more than two-month layoff and nine lengths back of Noah And The Ark last year in his fifth start of a six-race campaign.

“I was disappointed with last year's effort, but the year before that – that was fine,” Fisher said. “Last year, I think it told us we were over the top there. So, I think coming in with a fresh horse we should be good.”

The popular bay boasts a formidable 20-12-7-0 record over the jumps led by Grade 1 wins in the three-mile Iroquois [2021-22] at Percy Warner and last year's 2 3/8-mile Jonathan Sheppard at Saratoga Race Course in which he romped home by 13 1/4-lengths in a powerful performance.

Snap Decision [post 1, Graham Watters, 162 pounds] enjoyed a strong season in 2022 with his only off-the-board effort [6-2-2-1] coming in the Grade 1 Grand National over yielding going in October at Far Hills – a race won by the Irish-bred Hewick, who would be named Champion Steeplechaser.

Fisher said he believes Snap Decision should have earned year-end honors.

“He won two Grade 1s last year and the horse they gave it to won one,” Fisher said. “This year at Far Hills, I hope it won't be as soft as it was last year. The winners all day, including the one I had [Cool Jet], was an Irish horse, so I think it tells you a lot about the ground. I knew I was in trouble going to the first fence.”

Snap Decision won his seasonal debut in the 2 1/2-mile Grade 2 Temple Gwathmey Hurdle Handicap in April at Glenwood Park at Middleburg ahead of a last-out second in his title defense in the Iroquois with Sean McDermott up in place of regular rider Graham Watters.

Fisher said Snap Decision had surgery to repair an entrapped epiglottis following the Iroquois and is arriving at Thursday's test in good order.

“We didn't have his normal rider that day – nothing against the rider – but he said he [Snap Decision] made a noise coming up the hill, but it was a good effort,” Fisher said. “He's doing well. I don't think we can have a better performance than he had at Saratoga last year, but if we have a repeat of that performance, I'd be happy.”

Snap Decision, by Hard Spun and out of the multiple graded stakes-placed Unbridled mare Salute, made 18 starts over the flat for Hall of Fame trainer Shug McGaughey.

Fisher will also send out former McGaughey trainee Proven Innocent [post 5, Thomas Garner, 142 pounds] for Bruton Street-US and Riverdee Stable's City Dreamer [post 6, Harrison Beswick, 142 pounds].

Proven Innocent, a 5-year-old Blame gelding out of the multiple stakes-placed A. P. Indy mare Meghan's Joy, is a half-brother to multiple graded-stakes winning millionaire Ironicus.

The grey graduated in his final start on the flat in September 2021 and has since won three times over jumps, including a score in last year's William Entenmann Novice at Belmont at the Big A, besting the 2021 Champion Steeplechaser The Mean Queen.

Proven Innocent was a distant fourth in his seasonal debut in the Queen's Cup on April 29 at Charlotte and was pulled up last out on short rest in the Green Pastures on May 13 at Percy Warner.

“We ran at Charlotte and he had heat stroke and then we ran him back too quickly, so I blame it all on that,” Fisher said. “Now, we have a fresh horse. I don't think he'll like [facing] Snap Decision, but if he can finish second I'd be delighted with him.”

The Irish-bred City Dreamer, a 9-year-old Casamento gelding, boasts a record of 28-5-6-5 over the jumps. He enters from a distant sixth in the Iroquois.

Restitution [post 7, Bernard Dalton, 140 pounds] sports a ledger of 14-3-2-2 over the jumps and adds blinkers while in search of his first win since December at Doncaster for his former conditioner Alan King.

Now trained by Keri Brion, who won this event in 2021 with The Mean Queen, the 5-year-old Frankel gelding was a non-factor last out in his stateside debut when pulled up in the Jonathan Kiser Novice at odds of 8-1 on August 2 at Saratoga.

Rounding out a talented group are a quartet from Archibald Kingsley, Jr. in L'Imperator [post 8, Stephen Mulqueen, 142 pounds], Merry Maker [post 4, Parker Hendriks, 142 pounds], Barbados [post 3, Gerard Galligan, 140 pounds] and Cibolian [post 2, Jamie Bargary, 140 pounds].

The 28-day Belmont at the Big A fall meet, which runs through Sunday, October 29, offers a total of 44 stakes worth $9.275 million in total purses and includes four Grade 1 events and six Breeders' Cup “Win and You're In” qualifiers.

The Lonesome Glory is slated as Race 1 on Thursday's 10-race card. First post is 1:05 p.m. Eastern.

America's Day at the Races will present live coverage and analysis of every day of Belmont at the Big A on the networks of FOX Sports. For the broadcast schedule and channel finder, visit https://www.nyra.com/aqueduct/racing/tv-schedule.

The post Multiple Grade 1 Winner Snap Decision ‘Fresh’ For Third Attempt In Lonesome Glory appeared first on Horse Racing News | Paulick Report.

Source of original post

Verified by MonsterInsights