‘Very Excited, And A Little Bit Nervous’: Baffert Readies Maximum Security For San Diego Handicap

Asked about champion Maximum Security during Wednesday's media teleconference organized by the NTRA, Hall of Fame trainer Bob Baffert admitted to mixed feelings ahead of the colt's start in Saturday's Grade 2 San Diego Handicap at Del Mar.

“When I see him train, he trains like a really top horse,” Baffert said. “That's what I see, and I'm actually very excited, and a little bit nervous. I feel a little added pressure; there's a lot of pressure when you're around good horses.”

In his most recent start, the Gary and Mary West homebred won the inaugural $20 million Saudi Cup over Midnight Bisou. Since that effort at the end of February, the story around Maximum Security shifted from his historic Kentucky Derby disqualification in 2019 to the federal indictment of his former trainer, Jason Servis, on March 9, 2020.

Maximum Security was given a full medical evaluation and some down time, then transferred to Baffert's care in Southern California. His first gallop for Baffert was in late April; his first work not until June 1.

In his first start for Baffert, the 4-year-old son of New Year's Day will face a field of six others going 1 1/16 miles over Del Mar's main track. Maximum Security will break from post position five under a new rider, Abel Cedillo.

Regular jockey Luis Saez would be aboard the colt, except that he recently returned a positive test for COVID-19 and will be quarantined for the next two weeks. That left Baffert searching for a new rider, and his go-to big race jockey Mike Smith was already booked to be in New Jersey to ride Authentic in the Haskell.

Cedillo had committed to ride a horse for Mark Glatt in the San Diego, but Glatt let him out of the commitment when the trainer decided not to run his horse against Maximum Security.

“He sort of has the same kind of style [as Saez]; he's a strong rider, he's aggressive,” Baffert said of Cedillo. “He won on Fighting Mad for Gary and Mary West [the G2 Santa Maria on May 30 at Santa Anita], and he's won some races for me. He can handle pressure. I'm happy that I have him here.”

As is typical of Servis' style, Maximum Security had been used to turning in slow and steady morning workouts, more like two-minute licks than speedy breezes. Over the past six weeks, Baffert has focused on acclimating the colt to his style of training, working a bit faster, and his most recent breeze was a sharp five-furlong move in :59.60 on July 11 at Del Mar.

“To be around, he's a big, strong, beautiful horse,” Baffert said. “He's been doing everything well.”

Still, Baffert told the Paulick Report over the weekend that the colt may need a race, coming off the five-month break since the Saudi Cup.

“I feel I've done as much with him as I can for this,” Baffert said on Sunday. “I've been working him in company. He's a lazy horse in the morning and I can see now why they may ran him for $16,000 (maiden claiming) first out. He's a really smart horse; a lot of class, and a really intelligent horse.”

Maximum Security has been assigned 127 pounds under the handicap conditions of the 1 1/16-mile San Diego, five more than Higher Power (winner of the G1 Pacific Classic in 2019) and Midcourt (G2 San Pasqual winner in 2020). No horse since Native Diver toted 131 pounds in 1965 has carried more weight in winning the San Diego Handicap. California Chrome won under 126 pounds in 2016 in his first start since winning the G1 Dubai World Cup.

The San Diego Handicap field from the rail with jockeys and weights in parenthesis: Higher Power (TBD, 122); Ax Man (J.C. Diaz, Jr., 118); Midcourt (Juan Hernandez, 122); Dark Vader (Umberto Rispoli, 118); Maximum Security (Abel Cedillo, 127); Combatant (Drayden Van Dyke, 121) and Sharp Samurai (Edwin Maldonado, 119).

The post ‘Very Excited, And A Little Bit Nervous’: Baffert Readies Maximum Security For San Diego Handicap appeared first on Horse Racing News | Paulick Report.

Source of original post

Prix Jean Prat Winner Pinatubo Now Heading Standings For Cartier 3-Year-Old Colt

Pinatubo, winner of the Cartier Two-Year-Old Colt award in 2019, now heads the latest standings for Cartier Three-Year-Old Colt in 2020 following his victory in the G1 Qatar Prix Jean Prat at Deauville, France, on July 12.

The Cartier Racing Awards were established in 1991 to reward excellence in horseracing. There are eight equine awards – the Cartier Horse Of The Year, the Cartier Older Horse, the Cartier Sprinter, the Cartier Stayer, the Cartier Three-Year-Old Colt, the Cartier Three-Year-Old Filly, the Cartier Two-Year-Old Colt and the Cartier Two-Year-Old Filly.

European horseracing's top awards are delivered through a tried and tested combination of points earned by horses in Pattern races (30%), combined at the end of season with the opinions of a panel of racing journalists/handicappers (35%) and votes from readers of Racing Post and The Daily Telegraph (35%). The participation of the public plays a crucial role in determining the winners of each year's Cartier Racing Awards and gives horseracing fans the chance to put forward their favourite horses in a meaningful way.

In addition to the equine awards, the Cartier/Daily Telegraph Award of Merit goes to the person or persons who, in the opinion of the special 16-strong Cartier Jury, has/have done the most for European racing and/or breeding either over their lifetime or within the past 12 months. The 10 most recent recipients have been Pat Smullen, David Oldrey, Sir Michael Stoute, Aidan O'Brien, Jack Berry, Sheikh Hamdan bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Jim Bolger, Team Frankel, Barry Hills and Richard Hannon Sr.

The 30th annual Cartier Racing Awards will be awarded in November. Cartier continues its ongoing support with the presentation of Cartier Racing Awards in 2020, despite the cancellation of the traditional awards ceremony at The Dorchester in London, due to the Covid-19 epidemic. Cartier looks forward to resuming the awards ceremony in 2021.

Homebred by the Maktoum family's Godolphin operation, Shamardal colt Pinatubo (56 points) went through 2019 unbeaten in six races, culminating with G1 victories at the Curragh and Newmarket. The Charlie Appleby-trained colt began this season with placed efforts in the G1 QIPCO 2000 Guineas at Newmarket and at Royal Ascot in the G1 St James's Palace Stakes before registering a third career success at G1 level in the Qatar Prix Jean Prat. His closest pursuer in the Cartier Three-Year-Old Colt category is Santiago (48), who was successful in the G2 Queen's Vase at Royal Ascot before going on to land the G1 Dubai Duty Free Irish Derby.

Pinatubo also enters the reckoning for Cartier Horse of the Year, where the standings continue to be headed by Way To Paris (72), who has scored at G1 and G2 level already in 2020. Way To Paris, owned by Paolo Ferrario and trained by Andrea Marcialis, also leads in the Cartier Older Horse category. A significant mover in both the Cartier Horse of the Year and Cartier Older Horse standings is Nazeef (48), trained by John Gosden for Hamdan Al Maktoum. A daughter of Invincible Spirit, Nazeef has won all three of her starts so far this year. Her latest victory was her best yet as she took the G1 Tattersalls Falmouth Stakes on July 10, one of the highlights of Newmarket's Moët & Chandon July Festival.

Also successful at the three-day meeting was Oxted (40), who handed trainer Roger Teal a first G1 success in the six-furlong G1 Darley July Cup. The four-year-old Mayson gelding progressed through handicap company last season and displayed further improvement when landing the G3 Betway Abernant Stakes on his return to action at Newmarket in June. Oxted currently leads the Cartier Sprinter category alongside Golden Horde (40), winner of the G1 Commonwealth Cup at Royal Ascot and third behind Oxted at Newmarket.

Love (64) continues to maintain her clear lead in the Cartier Three-Year-Old Filly category following her Classic victories in the G1 QIPCO 1000 Guineas and G1 Investec Oaks. The Galileo filly, trained by Aidan O'Brien for a Coolmore syndicate, is set to head to York next for the G1 Darley Yorkshire Oaks in August.

It is a similar story in the Cartier Stayer division where Stradivarius (32), who was crowned Cartier Stayer in 2018 and 2019, continues to head the standings. Owned by Bjorn Nielsen and trained by John Gosden, Stradivarius claimed his third consecutive success in the G1 Gold Cup at Royal Ascot and is expected to attempt for a fourth win the G1 Qatar Goodwood Cup on July 28.

The post Prix Jean Prat Winner Pinatubo Now Heading Standings For Cartier 3-Year-Old Colt appeared first on Horse Racing News | Paulick Report.

Source of original post

On Closer Inspection, Art Collector Looks Like Legit Derby Contender

Making the Grade, which will run through the 2020 Triple Crown races, focuses on the winners or top performers of the key races, usually from the previous weekend, who could make an impact on the Triple Crown. We’ll be taking a close look at impressive winners and evaluating their chances to win classic races based upon ability, running style, connections (owner, trainer, jockey), and pedigree.

Read More...

Source of original post

Verified by MonsterInsights