Regal Glory Runs Down Mitchell Road In Ladies Turf Stakes At Kentucky Downs

For the first time in his future Hall of Fame career, trainer Chad Brown has made it a point to have a significant presence at the boutique Kentucky Downs meet in Franklin, Ky. As is often the case when the Mechanicville, N.Y., native shows up on the scene, he sent out one of his turf distaffers to claim some lucrative spoils as Regal Glory reeled in pacesetter Mitchell Road in deep stretch to take the Grade 3, $500,000 English Channel Ladies Turf Stakes by a neck on Saturday.

In giving her trainer his first graded-stakes triumph at the all-turf meet, Regal Glory also snapped a three-race losing and notched her third career graded victory. Owned and bred by Paul Pompa Jr. , the 4-year-old daughter of Animal Kingdom had been beaten by Grade 1-winning stablemates in each of her last three races heading into her trip to Kentucky Downs having run sixth behind Cambier Parc in the 2019 Grade 1 Queen Elizabeth II Challenge Cup Stakes, second to Newspaperofrecord in the Grade 3 Intercontinental Stakes at Belmont Park on June 6, and fourth behind that same barn mate in the Grade 1 Just a Game Stakes on June 27.

Without a wildly-accomplished, friendly rival in the gate with her this time around, Regal Glory was able to get herself back on the winning side of the equation. Under handling from jockey Jose Ortiz, the 7-5 race favorite tracked Mitchell Road in second around the European style turf course through fractions of :23.42 and :47.19 over yielding going.

“She handled the course really well. I knew she could handle the soft turf, since she's already won on it twice, so I was very confident going into the race,” Ortiz said of his mount. “Chad is doing fantastic here in his first year and his horses are doing fantastic too. I'm glad he came here. He's one of the best trainers in the nation, so why not be here. He's doing a tremendous job with (assistant) Whit (Beckman) and the team. She was much the best today and the only that could screw that up was me. I put her into a winning position and she responded well.”

Mitchell Road was still stubbornly holding onto her lead as she came off the turn into the lane, but Regal Glory was looming at her throat-latch in the final three-sixteenths of a mile before getting by late to hit the wire in 1:34.34 for the one-mile test over the rain-soaked course.

“That filly (Mitchell Road) on the front end gets tough. That was definitely a hard-fought stretch victory when it looked like our filly was poised to just take them easily,” said Whit Beckman, who oversees Brown's new Kentucky division based at Churchill Downs. “But you've got to give it to Mitchell Road. She ran a heck of a race.

“She was definitely getting a little class relief coming down here, but it's always an X factor with the set-up and everything. She ran a tremendous race. I mean she looked like the winner every step of the way to me.”

Mitchell Road held for second by 1 1/2 lengths over another Brown-trained runner, Tapit Today.

“She came out and ran and was right there,” said Luis Saez, jockey of Mitchell Road. “When we came to the stretch, I thought we were going to beat the winner, but she was too tough and we just got beat.”

Bred in Kentucky out of the More than Ready mare Mary's Follies, Regal Glory improved her record to six wins from 11 career starts with $773,884 in earnings. The chestnut mare previously annexed the Grade 3 Lake George and Grade 2 Lake Placid Stakes, both at Saratoga Race Course, last summer.

The post Regal Glory Runs Down Mitchell Road In Ladies Turf Stakes At Kentucky Downs appeared first on Horse Racing News | Paulick Report.

Source of original post

Peterson Notches First Stakes Win Aboard Share The Ride In Mr. Prospector

When trainer Antonio Arriaga convinced Silvino Ramirez to claim Share the Ride for $16,000 on July 5 it was with the belief that the 5-year-old gelding had the ability to be a stakes winner.

It took four starts – two on the turf, which the horse had never tried before – but Arriaga's faith was rewarded when Share the Ride dominated the field in a gate-to-wire victory to capture Saturday's $100,000 Mr. Prospector Stakes at Monmouth Park in Oceanport, N.J., by 3 3/4 lengths, giving jockey Ferrin Peterson the first stakes win of her career.

Ridden aggressively from the outset, Share the Ride broke sharply from the outside in the six-horse field, which included multiple Grade 1 winner Mind Control, and cruised through fractions of :22.45 to the opening quarter and :44.94 to the half.

He was never seriously threatened, with even-money favorite Awesome Anywhere chasing to get second, 1 1/4 lengths ahead of 6-5 shot Mind Control.

The winning time for the six furlongs was 1:09.18, with Share the Ride paying $19.40 to win in notching the first stakes victory of his 16-race career.

“Part of it was being aggressive on my part,” said Peterson, riding the horse for the first time. “He had just run long on the turf and now he was back going short on the dirt, which (agent) Julie Krone has told me it can make them sharp when they do that. (Arriaga) told me I needed to be aggressive leaving the gate because he tends to follow.

“So I gave him a really big warmup, got away from the pony, and he was really sharp. Honestly, though, the trainer and I were both surprised he broke on the lead. But then I was able to get him to relax and he had that the big kick when I asked for it. He was strong today.”

In his first start for Arriaga on Aug. 9 going six furlongs on the dirt in an optional $50,000 claimer, Share the Ride came off the pace to finish second, a length behind Awesome Anywhere. He was then off the board in the first two turf tries of his career, the most recent being a fifth-place finish in the Grade 3 Red Bank Stakes one week ago.

“We didn't expect him to go wire to wire like this,” said Arriaga. “I think he needed his last race going longer to open up his lungs. Then we cut him back from a mile to six furlongs for this race. I think that made a difference. He was very sharp today.

“We put him back on the dirt because I think he is better there. But I still believe he can be good on the turf. He's been eating well and he didn't back up on anything and he has been acting good. He was nominated to this race all along, so that's why we decided to bring him back in a week.”

A Kentucky-bred son of Candy Ride, Share the Ride notched his sixth career victory. It was the third stakes win of Arriaga's 421-race career, though he said “this is the biggest one so far.”

The post Peterson Notches First Stakes Win Aboard Share The Ride In Mr. Prospector appeared first on Horse Racing News | Paulick Report.

Source of original post

Racing NSW Implements End-Of-Life Welfare Program For Thoroughbreds

Racing NSW, the regulating body for Thoroughbred racing in New South Wales, has introduced a new program to ensure that every NSW Thoroughbred in the state has access to humane euthanasia. Created to additionally protect racehorses from being sent to slaughterhouses, the program will pay for the horse's euthanasia, should it be determined that course of action is in the horse's best interest.

Funded by a fee assessed when a Thoroughbred is registered, euthanasia under the program is only permitted when a Racing NSW licensed veterinarian has certified that euthanasia is necessary because of welfare or safety concerns. In addition to euthanasia, Racing NSW will cover the cost of cremation or burial of the horse. Euthanasia and cremation or burial of a horse can be expensive, and possibly deter owners from acting in the horse's best interest.

Specifically designed for any Thoroughbred that has lived predominantly in NSW, the program does not have an age cap for horses it assists. This means that horses that have been retired from racing and are now involved in second careers are also able to be assisted by this program.

This program was created to further strengthen Racing NSW's commitment to the welfare of racehorses throughout their lives. The regulatory body puts aside more than $26 million a year to assist with Thoroughbred welfare programs.

The organization has established a direct retraining and rehoming program for Thoroughbreds, has made it an offense to send a Thoroughbred to a slaughterhouse, has two full-time veterinarians on staff and has multiple other programs and efforts in place to assist Thoroughbreds throughout every life stage.

Read more at The Sydney Morning Herald and at Racing NSW.

The post Racing NSW Implements End-Of-Life Welfare Program For Thoroughbreds appeared first on Horse Racing News | Paulick Report.

Source of original post

Verified by MonsterInsights