This year’s Belmont Stakes Presented by NYRA Bets will be held June 5 at Belmont Park, and the race could be one of the deepest editions in recent memory with a bevy of runners from the Kentucky Derby Presented by Woodford Reserve rested and ready to return with five weeks of rest.
Tag: Racing
Justify’s Half-Brother Stage Raider Could Target Dwyer
Justify's 3-year-old half-brother Stage Raider, a colt sired by Pioneerof the Nile, posted a workmanlike victory in an allowance race on Friday, May 14 at Belmont Park. He won the one-mile contest by three lengths in a final time of 1:38.22.
It was the second win from three starts for the John Gunther-owned homebred, and trainer Chad Brown told the Daily Racing Form that Stage Raider could be pointed to the G3 Dwyer Stakes on July 5 at Belmont for his graded stakes debut.
“The time wasn't going to turn any heads,” Brown told DRF of the allowance win. “He got a good education out of it, being down inside and going up the rail. Sometimes these kinds of horses that still need a little bit of seasoning, that's the most important part of running in these races, to get more experience.”
Read more at the Daily Racing Form.
The post Justify’s Half-Brother Stage Raider Could Target Dwyer appeared first on Horse Racing News | Paulick Report.
Multiple Stakes Winner Chance It Makes Long-Awaited Return To Races Sunday
Shooting Star Thoroughbreds LLC's Chance It found no easy spot to make his long-awaited return to the races in Sunday's feature race at Gulfstream Park, where the popular multiple-stakes winner is scheduled to face five battle-tested rivals in a six-furlong optional claiming allowance.
“I'm looking forward to getting him back in action. The race came up a little tougher than I would have liked for his first race back, but he's training well,” trainer Saffie Joseph Jr. said. “He had a strong work from the gate about eight days ago. That day, I thought he showed he's as good as ever.”
Chance It, the hero of the 2019 FTBOA Florida Sire Stakes series, has been out of action since finishing fifth in the Tampa Bay Derby (G2) March 7, 2020.
The 4-year-old son of Currency Swap captured the Mucho Macho Man to kick off his 3-year-old campaign before starting in the Tampa Bay Derby, in which he dropped back early, made a mild run into contention at the top of the stretch, and faded late.
“There was no sense rushing him back. He's not a horse that will be sent to the breeding shed any time soon,” Joseph said. “He's a horse that can race at 5 and 6 years old, so we wanted to give him the time. He seems to have come back as good as ever.”
Chance It concluded his juvenile campaign with a sharp 7 ¼-length victory in the $400,000 FSS In Reality at 1 1/16 miles. The Florida-bred colt also won the $100,000 FSS Dr. Fager at six furlongs.
Edgard Zayas has the call.
Reeves Thoroughbred Racing's Double Crown is also scheduled to make his 2021 debut in Sunday's Race 9 feature. The Kathy Ritvo-trained 4-year-old gelding completed his 2020 campaign with back-to-back graded-stakes placings. After finishing third in the Smile Sprint (G3) at Gulfstream, the son of Bourbon Courage closed to finish second behind heavily favored Yaupon in the Oct. 1 Chick Lang (G3) at Pimlico Race Course.
Double Crown had won back-to-back stakes at Gulfstream prior to placing in the Smile Sprint and Chick Lang.
My Purple Haze Stables' Cool Arrow, who defeated Double Crown in the Smile Sprint, is coming into Sunday's race off a third-place finish behind Miles Ahead, who captured Friday's featured Race 3 at Gulfstream Park as the 6-5 favorite.
Went West, Inter Miami and Man of Honor round out the field.
The Joseph-trained Tonalist's Shape, a multiple graded-stakes winner during the 2019-2020 Championship Meet at Gulfstream, is scheduled to make her 2021 debut in Saturday's Race 10, a seven-furlong optional claiming allowance for fillies and mares.
“She had a long year last year, so we decided to give her a break to freshen her up,” Joseph said.
Tonalist's Shape, who hasn't run since finishing fifth in the Raven Run (G2) at Keeneland Oct. 17, has been prepared for her first start of the year with a series of seven works, including a solid half-mile breeze that was second fastest of 67 May 16.
“She's a bit more tricky [than Chance It]. She's never been a good work horse. Her works have been OK. You're always curious to see how she comes back,” Joseph said. “She's always been a hard horse to read off her works. We hope she comes back with that same determination she had last year.”
Tonalist's Shape won her first five career starts, including the Forward Gal (G3) and Davona Dale (G2) before tasting defeat for the first time in her two-turn debut in the 2020 Gulfstream Park Oaks (G2). The daughter of Tonalist returned to win the 1 1/16-mile Hollywood Wildcat at Gulfstream before finishing fourth in the Coaching Club American Oaks (G1) at Saratoga, fifth in the Kentucky Oaks (G1) at Churchill Downs and fifth in the Raven Run.
Tonalist's Shape is the 9-5 morning-line favorite in a field of nine that includes Saguaro Row, who finished third in the March 20 Hurricane Bertie (G3) at Gulfstream before shipping to Belmont for a fifth-place finish in the May 2 Ruffian (G2)
The post Multiple Stakes Winner Chance It Makes Long-Awaited Return To Races Sunday appeared first on Horse Racing News | Paulick Report.
Trainer Wesley Ward ‘Getting Excited’ About Royal Ascot Contingent
Richard Ravin's Maven, a Group 3 winner in France in 2019 who captured his 2021 debut in April at Keeneland, joined a group of 2-year-olds who turned in half-mile works on the firm Keeneland turf course Friday for trainer Wesley Ward in preparation for possible trips to England to compete at Royal Ascot in June. Since 2009, when he became the first American trainer to win a race at Royal Ascot, Ward has 11 victories at the prestigious meet.
The Royal Ascot meet will be held June 15-19.
“We had some really nice works,” Ward said about today's performances. “(The Keeneland turf course) is a true grass course. It's similar to the courses in England.”
Keeneland clockers caught Maven, working in company with Madison (G1) winner Kimari, in :47.80. A 4-year-old gelding by American Pharoah, Maven is intended for the 5-furlong King's Stand (G1) on June 15 at Royal Ascot, while Kimari is being pointed to Saratoga for her next start in the July 28 Honorable Miss (G2).
Ward's juvenile turf workers all won their career debuts in April:
· Marc Detampel's Nakatomi (June 17 Norfolk-G2) was clocked in :50.40 in company with Hat Creek Racing and Cheyenne Stable's Tea Olive (:52)
· Two horses owned by Stonestreet Stable worked in company – Ruthin (GB) (June 16 Queen Mary-G2) in :48.60 and Napa Spirit (IRE) (Norfolk) in :48.80.
· Hat Creek Racing and Cheyenne Stable's Golden Bell (June 18 Albany-G3) was timed in :48.20 in company with her faster workmate, Gregory Kaufman's Kaufymaker (:47.80).
Ward said Kaufymaker earned consideration with today's work to compete at Royal Ascot.
Set to return to Royal Ascot for Ward is Stonestreet's 3-year-old filly Campanelle (IRE), who last year captured the Queen Mary before taking the Darley Prix Morny (G1) at Deauville in France. Campanelle is based at Keeneland but has been working Sundays on the turf course at Churchill Downs in a schedule based on the availability of the Keeneland course.
Ward has Campanelle scheduled to make her 2021 debut in the June 18 Commonwealth Cup (G1) at 6 furlongs against males. With a win at Royal Ascot two years in a row, Campanelle would equal the feat of Stonestreet's Lady Aurelia, who Ward trained to win the 2016 Queen Mary and 2017 King's Stand.
The trainer's other possible 2-year-old starters at Royal Ascot this year include Peter Leidel's Overbore (June 15 Coventry-G2); Andrew Farm, For the People Racing Stable and Windmill Manor Farm's Lucci (Norfolk) and Stonestreet's Twilight Gleaming (IRE) (June 16 Windsor Castle-L).
Ward said the horses would depart June 1 on a flight from Indianapolis and be based at the English National Stud. He plans to fly to England following Bound for Nowhere's start in the Jackpot Jaipur (G1) on June 5 at Belmont Park and oversee the final works by his contingent before their Royal Ascot races.
“I'm getting excited,” he said.
Another Royal Ascot hopeful stabled at Keeneland is DARRS Inc.'s Extravagant Kid, who won the $1 million Al Quoz Sprint (G1) Sponsored by Azizi Developments during the March 27 Dubai World Cup card. Trained by Brendan Walsh, Extravagant Kid is being considered for two races at the meet: the 5-furlong King's Stand (G1) on June 15 and the 6-furlong Diamond Jubilee (G1) on June 19.
Extravagant Kid has recorded half-mile breezes at Keeneland on dirt on May 4 (:50.20) and May 13 (:48.20). Walsh said he is scheduled to work again Saturday at 7:30 a.m.
“Flying out on the first or second (of June),” Walsh said via text about travel plans for Extravagant Kid. “I'm not sure if I'm going yet. Depends on the quarantine restrictions.”
The post Trainer Wesley Ward ‘Getting Excited’ About Royal Ascot Contingent appeared first on Horse Racing News | Paulick Report.