‘Nothing Left To Prove’: Champion Sprinter Whitmore Retired

Fan favorite and 2020 sprint champion Whitmore pulled up after the Grade 1 Forego and was vanned off as a precaution after jockey Joel Rosario noted that the 8-year-old gelding felt off during his gallop out. Later Saturday, trainer Ron Moquett released a statement that Whitmore had been retired from racing.

“Joel said, 'He didn't feel right pulling up, boss' after the race. He felt something different,” Moquett told the Paulick Report Sunday.

Out of an abundance of caution, Whitmore was put on the on-track equine ambulance and returned to Moquett's barn at Saratoga Race Course, where he was examined by a track veterinarian. An x-ray showed “a shadow of something in the left foreleg,” so Whitmore will be sent to Dr. Larry Bramlage at Rood and Riddle for further examination once the gelding has been cleared to ship to Kentucky. After that, he will be turned out at Rebecca Maker's farm while Moquett and co-owners Robert La Penta and Head of Plains Racing decide what's next. Whitmore's long-term prognosis is good, but Moquett believes that given his long list of accomplishments, retirement is the best route for the fan favorite.

“He's acting fine. We're just being overly cautious,” Moquett said about his star gelding. “Now is when we retire. He owes us nothing. He has nothing to prove. He's been to the mountaintop. What does he have left to do?”

Moquett's candor about Whitmore's status and his steps are indicative of the trainer's philosophy about racing in general and racing his horses specifically.

“One of the things we need to do in this sport is be transparent,” he said. “I felt I owed it to people to say this is what we're dealing with, this is what we're doing with him.”

That transparency will continue as Moquett pledges to update fans on Whitmore's next career after the announcement on Saturday.

“We're just tickled to death that we have a village. I get a lot of comments where a guy will tell me that his wife is not a racing fan, but she loves Whitmore,” the trainer reflected. “When someone respects a horse so much, that's what it's all about.”

By multiple Grade 1 winner Pleasantly Perfect, out of the Scat Daddy mare Melody's Spirit, Whitmore's resume includes three wins in the Grade 3 Count Fleet at Oaklawn Park, the Grade 1 Forego at Saratoga in 2018, and the Grade 2 Phoenix Stakes at Keeneland Race Course in 2017. In a career that has spanned 43 starts with 15 wins, what does Moquett see as the ultimate Whitmore performance?

“His win in last year's Breeders'Cup Sprint for sure,” he said. “But his last win in the Count Fleet [in 2020] tied the record as the winningest stakes horse at Oaklawn Park. That one stands out as well.”

Moquett hinted in a statement released late Saturday that Whitmore may move on to a second career, which could see him contest the Thoroughbred Makeover, depending on his medical prognosis.

 

“I hope that he teaches people that the Kentucky Derby is not the end-all, be-all, that everything he [Whitmore] accomplished came after that. Every animal is different. We focus on the individual's potential and acclimate what we do to get the most out of our horses.”

“The main thing is that Whitmore tried every time. He was as gutsy as hell.”

 

The post ‘Nothing Left To Prove’: Champion Sprinter Whitmore Retired appeared first on Horse Racing News | Paulick Report.

Source of original post

Flash Of Mischief, Talamo Edge Irish Unity In St. Louis Derby

Flash of Mischief, an Into Mischief colt bred and owned by Jerry Namy and trained by Karl Broberg, emerged with a one-length victory over Irish Unity in the $250,000 St. Louis Derby on Saturday at FanDuel Sportsbook and Horse Racing, the track previously known as Fairmount Park in Collinsville, Ill.

Ridden by Joe Talamo, Flash of Mischief ran the 1 1/16 miles on a fast track in 1:46.59. He paid $6.60 as the third betting choice in the field of seven 3-year-olds.

Irish Unity, trained by Steve Asmussen, finished a head in front of Gagetown, the 8-5 favorite, with W W Crazy fourth, Two Worlds fifth, Hozier sixth and Ekatimorningstrike last.

Irish Unity and Brian Hernandez Jr. set the early fractions of :24.36, :48.16 and 1:12.54 for the opening six furlongs. Flash of Mischief was just a length behind, then engaged the front-runner at the top of the stretch, putting his head in front at the furlong pole and gradually edging away to the margin of victory.

The win was the fifth in 10 starts for Flash of Mischief, who was coming off a fourth-place finish to Jackie's Warrior in the G2 Amsterdam Stakes at Saratoga. The latter came back to win Saturday's G1 H. Allen Jerkens Memorial at the upstate New York track.

The post Flash Of Mischief, Talamo Edge Irish Unity In St. Louis Derby appeared first on Horse Racing News | Paulick Report.

Source of original post

Ginobili Prevails in Pat O’Brien to Earn Breeders’ Cup Berth

Though the $202,000 Grade 2 Pat O'Brien Stakes attracted a bevy of graded stakes winners, Ginobili brought improving comeback form to spring a mild upset. The 4-year-old gelding brought home his first stakes trophy, fittingly at Del Mar, the location of all three of his lifetime victories.

Read More...

Source of original post

Il Malocchio Rallies To Win Bison City Stakes At Woodbine

Il Malocchio, coming off a third-place finish in the Woodbine Oaks presented by Budweiser, stalked the pace from fourth and rallied smartly through the lane to give trainer Marty Drexler the biggest win of his career in Saturday's $250,000 Bison City Stakes at Woodbine Racetrack in Toronto, Ontario.

In winning the 1 1/16-mile Bison City by half-length under Patrick Husbands, Il Malocchio dispatched of five fellow Canadian-bred fillies, including the highly fancied Miss Speedy, who faltered to finish fourth at odds of 2-5.

“She ran a big race today,” said Husbands, who was riding his leading eighth stakes winner of the meeting. “Last time she tricked me. By the quarter-pole, I thought I had the race won, but when I asked her she paused for about three strides and those three strides cost me the Oaks.

“Today, before we swung for home, I made sure I had her in gear.”

The Bison City unfolded as expected with Miss Speedy, unbeaten in two previous starts, went straight to the front from her inside post and led by 2 ½ lengths through a quarter in :23.57 and a half in :46.68.

And while she maintained a 2 ½ lengths lead through six furlongs in 1:11.13, her supremacy was about to be threatened as first Emmeline and then Il Malocchio loomed large.

Emmeline, who had nosed out Il Malocchio for second money in the 1 1/8 mile Woodbine Oaks presented by Budweiser, had raced closest to Miss Speedy throughout and had led by a head over Il Malocchio with a furlong to run, only to succumb grudgingly as they stopped the clock in 1:43.42.

The second-place finish was the fourth straight for the hard-luck Emmeline, who remains a maiden after seven starts.

Cielo d'Oro closed for third money, three lengths behind the runner-up and three-quarters of a length before Miss Speedy.

Miss Marie and Youens rounded out the order of finish.

Owned and bred by Franco Meli, Il Malocchio placed in a pair of Woodbine stakes at age two and was sent south to trainer Kenny McPeek with a long-term eye toward the Woodbine Oaks. After finishing third in the Suncoast Stakes at Tampa Bay Downs, Il Malocchio was up the track in the Fair Grounds Oaks but then finished a good second in a 1 1/8 mile allowance race at Keeneland with Kenny McPeek as her trainer of record.

Back home with Drexler at Woodbine, Il Malocchio opened up with a fourth-place finish in the seven-furlong Fury before her solid effort in the Woodbine Oaks, where she was beaten 1 ¼ lengths.

“She's special,” said Drexler. “In my barn, we run a lot of cheaper, middle claimers. We don't have a lot of horses like this. It's nice to get one that you can play on this stage.”

Sent off as the 9-2 third choice, Il Malocchio returned $11.50 and topped a $33.60 with the 4.40-1 Emmeline. Cielo d'Oro, at 15-1, rounded out a $198.10 trifecta with Miss Speedy completing a $1 superfecta worth $207.75.

The Bison City followed the Woodbine Oaks as the second leg of Canada's triple tiara for Canadian-bred 3-year-old fillies. The $250,000 Wonder Where Stakes, at 1 ¼ miles on E.P. Taylor Turf Course, concludes the series on October 2.

“She gives it all; she's going to be getting close to being over the top”, said Drexler. “But, I have to think that's where we're going to aim.”

The post Il Malocchio Rallies To Win Bison City Stakes At Woodbine appeared first on Horse Racing News | Paulick Report.

Source of original post

Verified by MonsterInsights