Alenquer’s Connections ‘Keen’ To Enter Colt In Arc De Triomphe

The connections of the British 3-year-old colt Alenquer have been toying with the idea of a crack at the Group 1 Qatar Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe since the spring. Armando Duarte, the racing manager of the colt's owners, MM Stables, has subsequently confirmed, via the Racing Post, that the colt will line-up at ParisLongchamp on Sunday, Oct. 3.

He said: “The owners, Mubarak Alarou and Mussad Almutari, are keen to have a crack at the Arc as Alenquer is a mile-and-a-half horse, and he will handle any eventual cut in the ground. He's been in good shape since York. Obviously, it's a tough assignment but we're hopeful that he'll run a nice race.”

Alenquer is a colt with an international dimension. As his owners hail from Kuwait and he is trained in Britain, or Newmarket to be precise, by William Haggas. Furthermore, his breeders, the Gestüt Romerhof, are German. He was born and reared in France, and notably in Normandy, as he bears the hallmark of the La Motteraye Consignment.

Alenquer is unraced since his second place in the Group 1 Juddmonte International Stakes at York on Aug. 18, when he finished six lengths adrift of Mishriff. The latter is a possible Qatar Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe contender. He had previously finished third in the Group 1 Grand Prix de Paris over 12 furlongs at ParisLongchamp, won by one of the leading fancies for this year's Arc, Hurricane Lane.

Another formline also ties Alenquer in with another leading Arc fancy: as he beat Adayar in the Group 3 Classic Trial at Sandown in April. Adayar has since franked the form by winning both the Epsom Derby and King George VI and Queen Elizabeth Stakes (both G1s). The latter race also rejoices in the reputation of being the British equivalent of the Arc.

Alenquer is quoted at odds varying from 25-1 to 40-1 by the bookmakers for the Qatar Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe.

The post Alenquer’s Connections ‘Keen’ To Enter Colt In Arc De Triomphe appeared first on Horse Racing News | Paulick Report.

Source of original post

Haddassah Leads 1-2 Finish For Kevin Attard In Fort Erie’s Prince of Wales Stakes

The fan-filled crowd cheered on Haddassah in the 86th running of the Prince of Wales Stakes at Fort Erie racetrack in Fort Erie, Ontario. The son of Air Force Blue, trained by Kevin Attard and owned by Al and Bill Ulwelling, was piloted to victory by journeyman Gary Boulanger. Consulting with conditioner Attard, Boulanger was confident in his horse's ability to capture the second jewel of the OLG Canadian Triple Crown.

“Kevin said he might be the most talented 3-year-old he has, but he hadn't mentally put it together. Today, he showed he did,” said Boulanger, who captured his first Prince of Wales win.

In the battle down to the wire with Attard's other trainee, Harlan Estate, Boulanger was confident his mount could get the job done in the 1 3/16-mile race over Fort Erie's dirt course.

“He's a horse that's really come into himself,” said Boulanger after steering Haddassah to victory.

Eighth in the Queen's Plate, Haddassah's conditioner Attard was extremely pleased with Haddassah heading into the Prince of Wales.

“He's trained really well since and he really matured since the Queen's Plate; he's more relaxed in his training in the mornings,” said Attard. “We elected to take him off of Lasix for the Queen's Plate and he ran without the medication today as well just because I thought it was reacting negatively to him. He put it all together today.”

Haddassah returned $15.50 to his backers. Attard's two other contenders, Harlan Estate and H C Holiday finished second and fourth, respectively. Meanwhile, Tino Attard's trainee, Keep Grinding finished third.

An eventful day at Fort Erie, the program was filled with various stakes including the Rondeau Bay Stakes and the Lake Erie Stakes. Each race was part of the inaugural Ontario Sired Heritage Series, a new eight-leg stakes series open to Ontario-sired 3-year-olds, featured both at Woodbine and Fort Erie.

The Rondeau Bay Stakes went to Red Equinox with jockey Christopher Husbands. Trained by Jamie Attard for owner Norseman Racing Stable, the 3-year-old filly returned $7.80 to her backers.

After his first stakes win, trainer Jamie Attard, son of Hall of Fame trainer Sid Attard, said the victory was very special. “It's something you dream about all the time when you're growing up and thinking about getting into this business and learning from someone like my father.”

The Lake Erie Stakes was captured by Red River Rebel with jockey Rafael Hernandez for trainer Kevin Attard and owners Denny Andrews and Northern Dawn Stables, Inc., returning $5.10 to win.

The two cup races on the 11-race card included the Le Cinquieme Essai Cup as well as the Molson Cup.

Seau was first across the finish line in the Le Cinquieme Essai Cup. Jockey Sunny Singh picked up the mount for trainer John Simms and owner Deborah Fletcher.

“He was pretty cool the first time I sat on him a few weeks ago, and he just did everything on his own and did it all right,” said Sunny Singh from the winner's circle after the race. “He is just an awesome animal to be around, and John and his crew did a great job.”

The Molson Cup was scooped up by Feature Creature and rider Kazushi Kimura, giving owner Deborah Fletcher and trainer John Simms their second cup victory on the card.

It was a good day at the betting window with the handle hitting the $2 million mark.

There are 11 racing days left in the 2021 Fort Erie racing calendar. For more information, please visit forterieracing.com

The post Haddassah Leads 1-2 Finish For Kevin Attard In Fort Erie’s Prince of Wales Stakes appeared first on Horse Racing News | Paulick Report.

Source of original post

Verified by MonsterInsights