Delta Downs Could Be Back Under Lights By Nov. 12

A two-phase fix to the allegedly unsafe new lighting system at Delta Downs is underway that could allow the Louisiana track to switch back from afternoon programs to traditional weekend night cards by Nov. 12.

The recently installed light-emitting diode (LED) system, which was necessitated by the old lights getting wrecked by a hurricane in August 2020, was only operational for three races on the first night program of the season Oct. 15 before a horse fell at the top of the stretch.

Fueled by complaints from some jockeys and trainers that areas on the turns were dangerously dark and shadowy, the remainder of that card and the Oct. 16 program were cancelled. Delta resumed racing during afternoons without lights Oct. 20-23.

In a departure from previous seasons that featured night racing almost exclusively, this season Delta had embarked on a hybrid schedule with Wednesday and Thursday afternoon cards at 12:55 p.m. (Central) and Friday and Saturday programs under the lights at 5:55 p.m.

On Oct. 26, Steve Kuypers, Delta's vice president and general manager, detailed to the Louisiana State Racing Commission (LSRC) both the temporary and permanent fixes that are in the works.

Kuypers said that temporary (i.e. moveable) lights were expected to arrive Tuesday and will immediately be installed. An emphasis will be on adding 66% more lighting to the turns on the six-furlong track.

Once the crew thinks it has the extra lights spaced and aimed properly, Kuypers said that by Thursday or Friday he will invite jockeys and horsemen to walk the track at night like they did two weeks ago when a similar inspection occurred. Riders will be permitted to gallop or breeze horses under the enhanced lights.

“We will turn on all the lights and we will walk the track like we've done in the past, reviewing the locations, the lights, shadows,” Kuypers said. “We will then evaluate from there if we can go back to night racing.”

Kuypers said that because Delta uses an eight-day advance entry schedule, even if the shored-up lights are deemed immediately usable by the stakeholders, the earliest Delta could card an evening program would be for the Friday, Nov. 12 races.

In addition, new permanent lighting fixtures–39 in all–are on order. They should arrive within four weeks and will take two weeks to install. They will be blended with the existing fixtures that recently got installed. Because these new fixtures will be added to existing poles, there will be no need to halt racing or training for new pole installations.

Benard Chatters, the president of the Louisiana Horsemen's Benevolent and Protective Association (LHBPA), had been part of the initial multi-party inspection that okayed the lights. He admitted that “there are spots that are not as illuminated as others. But in my opinion, I can read out there…. And as you move through the spots that are being perceived as darker spots…there's no problem with seeing.”

Chatters added that “The contractors and [Delta's corporate owner] Boyd Gaming have bent over backwards accommodating everything that we've asked for in relation to the lighting.”

Other stakeholders didn't agree.

Two of them chimed in during Tuesday's LSRC meeting while Chatters had the floor. On the Zoom broadcast their identities were not clear in the cross-talk.

“Benard, it's entirely different when you're on a horse than standing on and walking on it,” said one dissenter.

“With the dark spots and the shadows…I would not risk the safety of those jockeys and those animals to run them on that track,” added another.

“The position of the jockeys right now is they're not happy with the lighting system,” said John Beech, the regional manager for The Jockeys' Guild.

“It was supposed to be 'state of the art,' something great. [But] they still feel like [the lights] need a lot of work,” Beech said.

Beech also pointed out that the new temporary lights will pose safety issues as additional obstacles located just over the fence from the track. And he said the permanent concrete bases for the recently installed permanent light poles and their generators still aren't properly padded to the Guild's standards.

“You get launched, you hit one of them, and you're going to get hurt bad,” Beech said.

Chatters said that no matter how much Delta's lighting system gets tweaked and adjusted, there will always be members of the racing community who won't concur about whether the output is powerful enough.

“I want to make sure that everybody understands that when we use language that says 'everybody in agreement,' just make sure that we all understand that we don't really mean 'everybody in agreement,'” Chatters said. “Because there will never be a time when everybody is in agreement on this thing.”

The LSRC ended up voting unanimously to extend Delta's permission to race days instead of nights for 30 days. If the new lights are deemed workable, Delta can then request an emergency meeting at which the LSRC would permit a sooner return to evening programs.

In other LSRC business, the commission voted to defer a request by the Fair Grounds to drop four dates from its upcoming 80-date race meet, which would have brought its dates allotment four dates under the state's required minimum. The requested dates were Jan. 5 and 10 and Feb. 14 and 21, 2022.

The LSRC also unanimously approved the recent sale of Louisiana Downs to Rubico Gaming for $22 million. The deal had been in the works since 2020.

The post Delta Downs Could Be Back Under Lights By Nov. 12 appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

Source of original post

Bramble Queen, Mohs, Readthecliffnotes Capture Hawthorne’s Weekend Stakes

Stakes action was back on the Hawthorne turf course on Saturday as the return of the Illini Princess and Hawthorne Derby were run over the firm course. The Illini Princess was for Illinois-bred females at 1 1/16 miles while the Hawthorne Derby went at 1 1/8 miles. A wet Sunday washed The Pizza Man Stakes to the sloppy main track.

In the $60,000 added Illini Princess, 2019 race champ Bramble Queen made her return for trainer Mike Dini and was sent away as the 8-5 favorite. Leaving the gate quickly was talented three-year-old filly Katie M'Lady as jockey Julio Felix was able to clear the lead from the outside and carve out the early fractions. Chased by Cat Attack and Northern Alliance through quick fractions of :23.51 and :47.41, Katie M' Lady led the field into the final turn as favorite Bramble Queen and jockey Jareth Loveberry began to pick off horses. At the top of the stretch, Katie M'Lady held a three-length advantage while Bramble Queen had move into second. In the stretch, Katie M'Lady battled but Bramble Queen was too good, running by late to win by a length in 1:42.70. Katie M'Lady was a clear second while 21-1 longshot Embarrassing rallied to finish third.

Owned by Ballybrit Stable, LLC, Bramble Queen returned $5.40, $3.40 and $2.80. Katie M'Lady came back $5.00 and $4.20. Embarrassing returned $10.80 to show.

Following the race, jockey Jareth Loveberry was asked about his trip aboard Bramble Queen: “The race set up really well for her. I got to know her when I rode her a couple of times at Arlington Park. The filly, Katie M'Lady got away to a comfortable lead. I just tried to have as much horse left at the end and she did. The course seemed to be playing even, maybe even a little 'Good,' but I just tried to ride the horse, not the course. This was a good field, the 3-year-olds are getting better and better. This mare had a bunch of heart and just dug it out.”

Two races later, on the Saturday card, the 52nd running of the $100,000 Hawthorne Derby, presented by BetMakers, returned to the Hawthorne turf. With the scratch of morning-line favorite Last Samurai, the field of six saw Royal Prince, from the barn of Brad Cox, sent away as the 2-1 favorite. After the break in the 1 1/8 miles event, there was very little early pace as Temper Tantrum and Royal Prince guided the compact field through an opening quarter in :24.80 and a half in :50.32. With only three lengths separating the field from front to back on the run into the final turn, Modus Operandi and Grey Streak joined the due to challenge through three quarters in 1:14.41. Biding his time in the turn was Mohs and jockey Jareth Loveberry as the field turned for home. In the lane, Temper Tantrum grabbed a brief lead as Mohs split horses and raced into contention while Grey Streak battled on. At the wire, Mohs emerged three-quarters of a length ahead of Grey Streak for the victory while Temper Tantrum held third. Mohs covered the 1 1/8 miles on the firm turf course in 1:50.32.

Owned by ABL Stable, Dominic Bossone, Petter Donnelly and William Oberdorff and trained by Patrick McBurney, Mohs paid $6.20, $4.60 and $3.20. Grey Streak returned $5.40 and $3.40 while Temper Tantrum paid $3.60 to show.

With his second stakes win on the day, jockey Jareth Loveberry commented on Mohs victory: “I thought that there would be a lot more pace but nobody went. My horse settled nicely and we found a good trip and were fortunate to find a hold. I knew we needed to start picking things up because they were going so slow in front so I kind of just judged the horses in front of me and when they started picking things up, so did we. I was hoping we were going to find a hole and fortunately we did.”

On Sunday afternoon the rains began to fall at Hawthorne, washing The Pizza Man stakes off the grass to be contested at 1 1/16 miles on the sloppy Hawthorne main track. The original field of 11 scratched down to six as Hawthorne dirt specialist Readthecliffnotes was sent away as the 7-5 favorite for trainer Michele Boyce. Getting away well in the sloppy going for jockey Edgar Perez, Readthecliffnotes made the lead through an opening quarter in :24.91 as longshot Iwillpersevere chased in second. Down the backstretch, Richiesgotgame ranged up to challenge through a half in :49.88. After three quarters in 1:14.09, it appeared Richiesgotgame was going to give jockey Jareth Loveberry a weekend stakes sweep as he put a head in front. In the lane, Readthecliffnotes dug in gamely and fought back, drawing clear by three-quarters of a length at the wire. Richiesgotgame was a clear second while Iwillpersevere held third. The final time for the 1 1/16 miles on the dirt was 1:45.23.

Readthecliffnotes returned $4.80, $3.00 and $2.20 for owners Cherrywood Racing Stables, II, Terry Biondo and Laura Donohoe. Richiesgotgame returned $3.20 and $2.80 while Iwillpersevere paid $5.40 to show.

Hawthorne Race Course, Chicago's Hometown Track, races three meets in 2021. The spring thoroughbred meet concluded on April 25. The summer Suburban Downs at Hawthorne harness meet began Friday, May 7 and concluded on September 26. The fall thoroughbred meet opened October 8 and races through December 27. First post daily in October and November is 3:10 PM. In December, first post moves to 12:55 PM. For any information about Hawthorne Race Course visit the website www.HawthorneRaceCourse.com.

The post Bramble Queen, Mohs, Readthecliffnotes Capture Hawthorne’s Weekend Stakes appeared first on Horse Racing News | Paulick Report.

Source of original post

‘Wait ‘Til Next Year’ Has Arrived for Breeders’ Cup-Bound Dr. Schivel

You have targeted a 2-year-old for private purchase that you are convinced can win the Runhappy Del Mar Futurity in your own backyard and eventually go on to the Breeders’ Cup World Championships. He possesses abundant speed, he is responsive to his rider and he will fight, fight, fight.

Read More...

Source of original post

Eda Cruises To Easy Victory In Anoakia Stakes At Santa Anita

The prohibitive 1-5 favorite, Bob Baffert's Eda stalked early leader Shes Bout a Mover to the far turn and opened up turning for home en route to a facile 2 ¼ length win in Sunday's $75,000 Anoakia Stakes for 2-year-old fillies at Santa Anita Park in Arcadia, Calif. Ridden for the first time by Flavien Prat, she got six furlongs geared down in 1:10.41.

“She was in the one hole and there was speed in the race,” said Baffert, who collected his meet-leading fourth stakes win. “She did that in her first race (a desperate nose defeat in a five-furlong maiden special weight here on June 19), but she couldn't do it in her last race at Del Mar, there was too much traffic. It was a nice win. I think one turn is her game, so we'll just keep her (sprinting) for now.”

Fifth, beaten 18 lengths as the 6-5 favorite going seven furlongs in the Grade 1 Del Mar Debutante at Del Mar Thoroughbred Club in Del Mar, Calif., Sept. 5, Eda ran to the betting today and paid $2.40, $2.10, and $2.10.

A $550,000 2-year-old in training sale purchase in Florida this past March, Eda, a bay filly by Munnings out of the Lemon Drop Kid mare Show Me, was second beaten a head two starts back in the Grade 2 Sorrento Stakes going six furlongs on Aug. 6 and now has one win from four starts.

Owned by Baoma Corporation, Eda picked up $47,400 for the win, increasing her earnings to $130,000.

“She broke well and I was able to get myself in the clear,” said Prat, who collected his meet-leading seventh stakes win. “As soon as we hit the turn, she just on her own, grabbed the bridle and made a nice move, and that was a winning move. She's pretty quick, she has a lot of speed, so I don't know how far she wants to go, but six was a good distance today.”

In a huge effort, the John Shirreffs-trained Lady T, who appeared to be about nine lengths back while next to last three furlongs from home, shifted into high gear around the turn in an eye-catching effort and rallied for the place, finishing 7 ¼ lengths in front of Baffert's Benedict Canyon.

Off at 5-1 with Victor Espinoza up in a field of five, Lady T paid $3.20 and $2.10.

Ridden by Abel Cedillo, Benedict Canyon was off at 8-1 and paid $2.10 to show.

Fractions on the race were :21.90, :44.98, and :57.38.

Live racing resumes on Friday, with first post time for a nine-race card at 1 p.m. Friday's entries are currently available at santaanita.com.

The post Eda Cruises To Easy Victory In Anoakia Stakes At Santa Anita appeared first on Horse Racing News | Paulick Report.

Source of original post

Verified by MonsterInsights