Mike Smith, Irad Ortiz To Ride At Kentucky Downs For The First Time In 2020

Kentucky Downs' deep jockey colony is getting even deeper for the six-date run of all-grass racing that offers among the richest purses in the world.

The RUNHAPPY Meet at Kentucky Downs kicks off on Labor Day, Sept. 7 and continues on Sept. 9, 10, 12, 13 and 16.

Kentucky Downs leads North America in average field size, and this meet figures to lead 2020 in the number of world-class jockeys riding those horses. The track will be the laser focus of American racing after Saratoga and Del Mar close on Labor Day, with New York's Belmont Park not opening until Sept. 18 and California's Santa Anita Park opening Sept. 19. Averaging $2 million a day in purses, Kentucky Downs is luring the most accomplished riders from New York and California along with the already deep Kentucky colony.

Nine of America's top 10 riders by 2020 purse earnings will be at Kentucky Downs (in order of purse ranking): Irad Ortiz, Joel Rosario, Tyler Gaffalione, Luis Saez, Ricardo Santana, Flavien Prat, Jose Ortiz, Javier Castellano and Florent Geroux. The top seven riders in victories at Saratoga heading into Thursday's racing are all confirmed for at least part of the meet.

“We already had one of the most talented riding colonies in the world, but this year it's going to be absolutely incredible,” said Ted Nicholson, Kentucky Downs' senior vice president and general manager. “It's not only our lucrative purses, but because we have averaged about 11 horses a race in recent years, there are lots of opportunities for riders instead of just a handful of jockeys dominating. At $2 million in average daily purses, you don't even have to win for coming here to be a profitable venture. Plus, jockeys tell me just how much fun it is to ride this course as a change of pace from always turning left around an oval.”

Among the top riders participating at Kentucky Downs for the first time will be Hall of Famer Mike Smith, two-time defending Eclipse Award-winning jockey Irad Ortiz, rising California star Umberto Rispoli and Joe Talamo, who relocated from California to Kentucky this year. In addition, Hall of Famers John Velazquez and Castellano, who between them have ridden only a handful of races at Kentucky Downs, will ride the entire meet after coming to Kentucky for Churchill Downs' rescheduled Derby Week.

After Saratoga's summer meet ends Labor Day, Irad Ortiz, two-time Kentucky Downs defending riding champion Jose Ortiz and Rosario will ride the remaining five days. Jose Ortiz, who will be riding for the fourth year at Kentucky Downs, said during last year's meet that he's been urging his brother Irad to fit Kentucky Downs into his annual circuit.

“He really wants to go,” said Jose Ortiz, who said Irad missed last year's meet because of a suspension for a riding infraction. “He said he'd like to ride the track. I was telling him how it is: Uphill, downhill, long stretch.”

Smith, who will ride at Kentucky Downs for the first time in his Hall of Fame career, is coming in for the Sept. 12 showcase Calumet Farm Day card to ride turf sprint standout Jolie Olimpica in the $500,000, Grade 3 Real Solution Ladies Sprint for trainer Richard Mandella, who likewise is running horses at America's most unique race meet for the first time.

Smith could ride additional days as his business dictates. Nominations to all Kentucky Downs' stakes closed Wednesday, Aug. 26.

“I'm excited about getting the opportunity to ride there,” said Smith, whose only prior visit to Kentucky Downs came in 2018 to sign posters commemorating his Triple Crown victory aboard Justify. “I've never ridden there. I love going over to Europe to ride, and the course at Kentucky Downs is so much of a European racetrack. I thought it was a beautiful track. It was my first time to see it in person and not just on TV. I thought I was back in Ireland or something.”

Rispoli, a two-time champion in his native Italy, started riding full-time in California this year after being based in Hong Kong. He's battling Flavien Prat for leading rider at this Del Mar meet. Prat, Del Mar's reigning summer titlist along with earning Santa Anita's winter-spring crown, will start riding at Kentucky Downs Sept. 9, with Rispoli at the track at least Sept. 12 and 13, their agents said.

Velazquez' only prior experience at Kentucky Downs was a pair of off-the-board finishes in 2018. His new agent, Ron Anderson, plans to change that.

“I'm anticipating winning some races with him — and Joel,” said Anderson, also the agent for Rosario, who rode three of five days at Kentucky Downs last year. “They've got to be on the right horse. If they're not, it's my fault.

“I think I've got action for both riders.”

Castellano rode at Kentucky Downs for the first time last year to great effect, with two wins and two seconds in five starts. “I'm looking forward to it,” he said of riding all six days this year.

As soon as the New York Racing Association announced the delayed start to Belmont's fall meet, Kiaran McLaughlin got to work securing business for Kentucky Downs. McLaughlin left his long-time training career in April to become the agent for Saez. The jockey rode two days at Kentucky Downs in 2018, including winning Dueling Ground Derby with Channel Cat, and one day last year. He'll be riding the final five days this year.

“It just made too much sense to go,” McLaughlin said. “It's an opportunity to ride for some very nice purses, and we're not missing anything at Belmont.”

The post Mike Smith, Irad Ortiz To Ride At Kentucky Downs For The First Time In 2020 appeared first on Horse Racing News | Paulick Report.

Source of original post

Brenda Davis Appointed To California Horse Racing Board

California Gov. Gavin Newsom announced the following appointments on Thursday:

Brenda Davis, 65, of Sacramento, has been appointed to the California Horse Racing Board. Davis has been Principal at the Brenda Davis Law Group since 2007. She was managing counsel at the California Farm Bureau Federation from 1999 to 2007. Davis was a Legislative Advocate and Negotiator in the Executive Office of the Attorney General at the California Department of Justice from 1996 to 1999. She is a member of the California State Bar, New Mexico State Bar, Mercy Foundation Board of Trustees, Forest Foundation Board of Directors, and the Arden-Arcade Community Planning Advisory Council. Davis earned a Juris Doctor degree from the University of California, Berkeley School of Law. This position requires Senate confirmation and the compensation is $100 per diem. Davis is a Republican.

Wendy Mitchell, 49, of Los Angeles, has been reappointed to the California Horse Racing Board, where she has served since 2019. Mitchell has been principal of WM Consulting Inc. since 2006. She served on the California Coastal Commission from 2011 to 2016 and the Los Angeles South Valley Area Planning Commission from 2009 to 2011. Mitchell was Vice President of Public Policy for the National Association of Women Business Owners from 2008 to 2010 and served on the Board of Directors for the California League of Conservation Voters from 2007 to 2018 and the Women's Political Caucus in 2018. She was Chief of Staff for State Senator Denise Ducheny from 2003 to 2005. Mitchell earned a Master of Public Administration degree from the University of Southern California. This position requires Senate confirmation and the compensation is $100 per diem. Mitchell is a Democrat.

The post Brenda Davis Appointed To California Horse Racing Board appeared first on Horse Racing News | Paulick Report.

Source of original post

Finalists Announced For 2020 Thoroughbred Industry Employee Awards

The finalists for six of the seven prestigious Thoroughbred Industry Employee Awards have been announced. The winner of the Thoroughbred Industry Community Award, which has one first-place prize, has been decided. This year's recipient is Maria Cristina Vasquez with the New York Thoroughbred Horsemen's Association.

Three finalists in each of the six categories, along with Maria Cristina Vasquez, will be recognized at a virtual awards program to be held at 2:00 p.m. on Tuesday, October 6, with the assistance of Studio 46 Media in Lexington, Kentucky.

The shortlist judging panel, the first of the two judging panels, collaborated on a video conference on Monday, August 24, to decide the finalists as well as the Community Award winner. The second and final stage of judging will take place in late September.

Panel Chair Susan Martin stated, “The experience of serving on the final judging committee last year was immensely rewarding so I was delighted and honored when asked to serve as chair of this year's initial shortlist panel. I think we all have an idea of how hard the behind-the-scenes individuals work in our sport, but when you have the opportunity to dig a little deeper into their amazing stories, you truly realize what an impressive group they really are.

“Like so many others during this pandemic we are having to adjust the way we communicate so we held our judging panel via a virtual teleconference. I will say this did not dampen my enthusiasm nor that of the rest of the panel. The importance of these awards is not lost on us, and we, like the final judging panel in September, take this duty to heart. And although the decisions we made in order to narrow down what is a most impressive field were difficult, I think all will see from the list of finalists that we are blessed with an incredible workforce in our industry.

“It's also so important to recognize Godolphin and Sheikh Mohammed, along with the National HBPA, TOBA, The Jockey Club and Breeders' Cup, without whose underwriting and additional support these awards would not be possible to implement. Our media partners as well – BloodHorse, TDN, Daily Racing Form, TVG, Paulick Report and Fox Sports – all deserve our heartfelt thanks.”

The shortlist panel was composed of Chair, Susan Martin, Director of Marketing, The Jockey Club Information Systems, Lexington, KY; Stephanie Brennan, industry activist; Corey Johnsen, CJ Racing Stable and former owner of Kentucky Downs; Cate Masterson, Executive Director of the National Museum of Racing and Hall of Fame, Saratoga Springs, NY; and David Pope, President and Co-owner of Siena Farm.

The finalists are:

Administration Award
Lynelle Fox-Smith – Oregon Thoroughbred Owners and Breeders Association
Michelle Holbrook – Silver Springs Stud
Dionne Johnson – New York Thoroughbred Horsemen's Association, Inc.

Dedication to Breeding Award
David Kyle – Fasig-Tipton Company, Inc.
Helen Otero – Coolmore America
Steve Avery – Taylor Made Sales Agency

Dedication to Racing Award
Gregory Smothers – Niall Brennan Stables
Marcelo Arenas – Leah Gyarmati Stables
Patrick “Shawn” Autry – McPeek Racing

Leadership in Breeding Award
Matt Lyons – Candy Meadows Farm
Wayn Clem – Claiborne Farm
Christy Holden – Country Life Farm

Leadership in Racing Award
Carmen McShane – D/M Racing
Cindy Hutter – George Weaver Racing
Roy Smith – Indiana Grand Racing and Casino

Newcomer Award
Robert Cole – Florida Thoroughbred Breeders' and Owners' Association
Alexis Kolasa – Denali Stud
Aaron West – Bradley Thoroughbreds LLC

Thoroughbred Community Award Winner
Maria Cristina Vasquez – New York Thoroughbred Horsemen's Association

The post Finalists Announced For 2020 Thoroughbred Industry Employee Awards appeared first on Horse Racing News | Paulick Report.

Source of original post

Nearly 40 Horses Need New Homes After West Virginia Trainer Killed In Motorcycle Accident

West Virginia-based Thoroughbred trainer Leslie Condon was killed when struck head-on in a motorcycle accident on Aug. 20, leaving behind nearly 40 horses in need of new homes. According to racingbiz.com, Condon's longtime friend Diana McClure is coordinating the care of those horses, and has set up a GoFundMe account to pay expenses while dispersal is arranged.

Condon has seven horses in training, six of which she owned herself. Trainer Sherry Lee Jackson has taken over the duties on Condon's horses at the track.

Another 31 horses were located at Condon's farm, including the stallion Weave It To Me (Bernardini), whose first foals are 3-year-olds this year.

“Leslie's horses were her passion and her life,” wrote McClure on the GoFundMe page. “We are asking for and will be so grateful for donations to help care for Leslie's beloved horses as we find homes for all of them.”

Read more at racingbiz.com, and the GoFundMe page is available here.

The post Nearly 40 Horses Need New Homes After West Virginia Trainer Killed In Motorcycle Accident appeared first on Horse Racing News | Paulick Report.

Source of original post

Verified by MonsterInsights