Davis, Rodriguez Take Aqueduct Winter Meet Titles

Jockey Dylan Davis captured the first riding title of his career, posting 63 wins at the 2021-22 Aqueduct Racetrack winter meet that ran from Dec. 9 to Mar. 27. Rudy Rodriguez paced all trainers with 33 wins, while Klaravich Stables secured the owner's title with 10 wins.

Davis, who is represented by agent Mike Migliore, finished nine wins ahead of runner-up Trevor McCarthy and 10 wins clear of third-place Kendrick Carmouche.

“It's incredible. I'm grateful and honored. I've worked very hard for this,” said Davis. “I'm grateful I can have this success and get one of the titles. My agent Mike works very hard behind the scenes to get me the mounts. Thanks to the owners and the trainers and everyone on the backside, especially the horses. The horses are the main thing–they are running for me and putting up performances.”

The 27-year-old native of Manhasset, NY achieved three four-win days Jan. 23, Feb. 26 and Mar. 26, and completed the meet with a record of 301-63-58-36 for total purse earnings of $3,411,574.

Rodriguez won his second consecutive Big A winter meet title and 13th overall training title at NYRA, sending out 33 winners, eight wins more than second-place trainer Rob Atras and 13 ahead of third-place finisher Chad Brown. He earned top trainer honors at last year's Big A winter meet with 36 winners and has taken home a total of 11 titles at Aqueduct.

“It's unbelievable,” said an emotional Rodriguez. “All the credit goes to the people in the barn. Most of the people that work with me here have been with us since day one.”

Rodriguez started 151 horses for a record of 33-22-20 and $1,506,693 in earnings. His runners posted a win rate of 21.85% and a 49.67 in-the-money percentage.

Rodriguez said each of his wins this meet were memorable.

“They're all very special,” Rodriguez said. “It's a lot of hard work dealing with the winter cold.”

Seth Klarman's Klaravich Stables posted a 21-10-2-3 record with total purse earnings of $623,160. It was a three-way tie for second between Windylea Farm [38-8-8-2, $331,058], Repole Stable [31-8-4-2, $292,161] and Michael Dubb [33-8-4-2, $458,427].

Live racing continues Thursday at the Big A, Opening Day of the 15-day spring meet that runs through Apr. 24.

The post Davis, Rodriguez Take Aqueduct Winter Meet Titles appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

Source of original post

Longtime NYRA Employee Eddie Brown Dies

Eddie Brown, who worked for many years at Aqueduct Racetrack, Belmont Park and Saratoga Race Course, most recently as the New York Racing Association's assistant clerk of scales, has passed away, NYRA announced Sunday. Brown, who was 85, retired in 2019 and lived in Seaford, NY.

A racetrack to the core, Brown turned a childhood love of horse racing into a career on the track that lasted more than 65 years. He was a throwback, a colleague with great reverence for the sport, an encyclopedic knowledge of its history and a love for sharing the wisdom of what he knew with fellow employees and fans. He fell in love with racing as a boy attending Jamaica Racetrack and made his way in the sport galloping horses and working as an assistant to the trainers, Frank Wright and Lefty Nickerson. Joining NYRA in 1972, he worked as a valet with Hall of Fame riders Angel Cordero, Jr., Steve Cauthen, Jerry Bailey and Pat Day.

Brown was Day's valet when he won the 1989 Belmont Stakes on Easy Goer, which he once described as his favorite memory of the “Test of the Champion.” And Brown maintained close friendships with all those riders, especially Bailey, who when working with NBC at Belmont or Saratoga always made a beeline for the jockey room to see him.

Brown, a widower, was laid to rest Saturday at Pinelawn Memorial Park in Pinelawn, NY. Krauss Funeral Home handled the arrangements and has a tribute page on its website where anyone is welcome to leave a note that it will pass along to the family. In the coming days, NYRA will honor Brown with a moment of silence.

The post Longtime NYRA Employee Eddie Brown Dies appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

Source of original post

Potts, Vazquez Among Trainers Denied NYRA Stalls

Six trainers, including Wayne Potts and Juan Vazquez, have been informed by NYRA officials that they will no longer be allowed to stable at Belmont Park and that their horses must be off the grounds by Wednesday. However, all six will still be permitted to race at the NYRA tracks, at least for the time being.

The story was first reported by the Daily Racing Form's David Grening.

NYRA's decision to not outright ban the trainers stems from a ruling issued in the Bob Baffert matter last July by the United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York. The court ruled that trainers cannot be banned at the NYRA tracks without due process, starting with a formal statement of charges. Denying or revoking stalls may not fall under the same guidelines. It was not known Friday whether or not NYRA will eventually take the steps that would be required to ban any or all of the six trainers.

The other trainers notified that they would no longer be permitted to stable at the NYRA tracks are Marvin Richardson, Luis Miranda, John McAllen and Michael Simmonds. In addition, Bonnie Lucas, an assistant to Potts, was also denied stalls, which she applied for after Potts' stall application was denied.

“NYRA retains the exclusive right and discretion to grant, deny, revoke, or reduce stall space for licensed trainers at its properties,” NYRA spokesman Pat McKenna said in a statement. “Following the completion of the stall application process for the 2022 spring meet at Aqueduct Racetrack and 2022 spring/summer meet at Belmont Park, NYRA has denied stall allocations to trainers Wayne Potts, Juan Vazquez, Marvin Richards, John McAllen, Luis Miranda and Michael Simmonds. The trainers were notified of this decision earlier this week and will be required to vacate their current stalls or transfer horses under their care by Mar. 30. Bonnie Lucas, an assistant to Potts, submitted a stall application following the denial of stalls to Potts and her application was rejected.”

The statement continued: “No matter the point of origin, all horses shipping in to race at NYRA tracks are subject to the same level of health and safety scrutiny as horses stabled on NYRA property. These protocols are effective in mitigating risk, enhancing equine safety, and protecting the integrity of the sport in New York.”

Potts and Lucas were suspended last year for 30 days by the New Jersey Racing Commission, which charged that they defied a request from a state veterinarian to have a horse vanned off the track following a claiming race. Both have appealed. Potts also ran afoul of authorities during last year's Saratoga meet when it was alleged he violated rules regarding a claim, which resulted in a 30-day suspension. The New York Gaming Commission charged that the horse, Mach One (Air Force Blue), was claimed by Potts' owners Frank Catapano and Nicholas Primpas by trainer Amira Chichakly and then transferred to Potts. Potts claimed another horse from the same race and trainers are not allowed to claim more than one horse in any given race. Additionally, Potts was banned from the Maryland tracks in 2020 amid allegations that he was a paper trainer for Marcus Vitali.

Potts won a career-best 61 races last year and was the leading trainer at Monmouth. He said he has 47 horses in New York and plans to relocate them to a training center in New Jersey.

“I was shocked when they told me I wasn't being allocated stalls,” Potts said. “I supported the NYRA circuit strong the last two winters when they have short fields. If this is an act to clean things up, there are other people that should be gone before myself. I don't have a whole list of mediation violations. I have done some stupid things in life, but there are other people there that have done much worse than I have.”

When asked if he fears NYRA will eventually ban him outright, Potts said: “I don't think that will happen. I had a meeting today with the racing secretary and with Frank Gabriel. They said I am still free to enter and I can conduct my business as I was before. That's what I'm going to continue to do.”

Vazquez received two consecutive 15-day suspensions from the Pennsylvania Racing Commission after two of his horses tested positive for the dewormer levamisole in races at last year at Parx. One, Hollywood Talent (Talent Search), tested positive after winning the GIII Turf Monster S. at odds of 108-1. Vazquez has filed an appeal. Vazquez has numerous suspensions and violations on his record. In one ruling, issued in 2017 in Pennsylvania, it was noted that Vazquez had eight drug positives during a 23-month period. Vazquez, who did not return a phone call seeking comment, is fifth in the Aqueduct trainer standings.

While Potts and Vasquez are prominent trainers, the others are not. Richards is 0-for-6 on the year and has won only five races in a career that began in 2017. He is facing a suspension of up to one-year from the New Jersey Racing Commission after his horse, Awesomenewyear (New Year's Day) tested positive for the prohibited medications oxazepam and ibuprofen following a Sept. 3 race at Monmouth. He has six horses stabled in New York.

“That would be something that is easy for NYRA to lean on,” Richards said of the drug positives in New Jersey. “They can say you have a positive so we're not going to give you stalls. I can't say for sure that's what it is. It might be. I'm still at Belmont, so they haven't kicked me off the racetrack yet. Where am I going to go? I'll have find a place where I can put my horses up. I'll have to try to get stalls elsewhere. It will be a great inconvenience. I live right next to [Belmont]. I don't even want to think of not being at Belmont.”

The Racing Form, citing sources, reported that McAllen was denied stalls for allegedly demonstrating an inability to properly care for his horses. He is 2-for-54 on the year and said he has 12 horses at Belmont.

“If someone wanted to come and see my horses I'd have no problem showing them to you,” McAllen said. “They are 100% perfect.”

McAllen said he will look for stall space somewhere before eventually taking his stable to Monmouth Park.

Miranda has won with just 4 percent of his career starters and is 2-for-94 since 2020. Simmonds is 1-for-19 on the year after going 2 for 75 last year. It was not immediately clear why those trainers were denied stalls.

The post Potts, Vazquez Among Trainers Denied NYRA Stalls appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

Source of original post

New York Claiming Championship Series Returns Saturday

The New York Claiming Championship series returns for the seventh year on Saturday at Aqueduct Racetrack with 10 starter stakes worth $620,000.

The New York Claiming Championship is open to horses which have started for a prescribed claiming price in 2021-22. The 10-race series, each named after some of the most popular claiming horses to run at the Big A, features distances ranging from six furlongs to 1 3/8 miles. A total of 93 horses were entered across the 10 races.

Robert Falcone, Jr. will saddle four starters on the lucrative card.

“Days like this are important,” Falcone, Jr. said. “The claiming rank and allowance horses make up the race cards day in and day out. It's good to have a day for them. They are all really nice horses, but not every horse can be a million-dollar horse. It's nice for them to get a shot to run in a starter stake. These are the types of horses who make the cards go each day.”

The post New York Claiming Championship Series Returns Saturday appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

Source of original post

Verified by MonsterInsights