Not So Quiet Repeats In Vice Regent Stakes At Woodbine

Not So Quiet, with Rafael Hernandez aboard, rallied along the rail to notch his second straight Vice Regent Stakes score, Saturday at Woodbine Racetrack in Toronto, Ontario.

The six-year-old son of Silent Name (JPN), bred and owned by Heste Sport Inc., came into the $150,000 five-furlong Inner Turf race off a third-place effort in the Grade 3 Vigil Stakes on August 1 at Woodbine.

Sent off as the 7-5 choice, Not So Quiet, trained by Mark Casse, was shuffled back at the outset, and sat sixth as longshots Rockcrest and Alacritous took the field through an opening quarter-mile timed in :21.72.

Rockcrest, longest shot on the board at 44-1, was still calling the shots as the field straightened for home, while Hernandez looked for room to take aim at the leader, eventually finding a seam along the inside.

At the wire, Not So Quiet was a 1 ½-length winner, with a game Rockcrest taking second, 1 ½-lengths ahead of City Boy.

“The plan was to be close to the pace because with five-eighths you have to be on the engine,” said Hernandez, who teamed with Casse earlier on the card to take the Seagram Cup aboard Tap It to Win. “But the horse next to me, the seven (City Boy) in the gate, he was acting a little weird and then my horse started to get nervous. They opened the gate and he came out a little bit slowly from what we wanted to do, but we came up with Plan B, and then everything came out good.”

The final time over firm going was :56.25.

“He's great,” said Hernandez. “He's a racehorse anywhere you want to put him. You ask him what to do and he'll do it.”

It was a return to winning form for Not So Quiet, who rhymed off two straight scores to complete his 2020 campaign, taking the Vice Regent on October 4 and Overskate Stakes on October 31.

The gelding, who broke his maiden first time out on July 18, 2018, now sports a mark of 7-0-2 from 15 starts.

Not So Quiet paid $5 for today's win.

The post Not So Quiet Repeats In Vice Regent Stakes At Woodbine appeared first on Horse Racing News | Paulick Report.

Source of original post

Tap It to Win Makes Tapeta Debut Winning One In Seagram Cup

Tap It to Win paid his first visit to Woodbine Racetrack in July, finishing seventh behind Avie's Flatter in the Grade 2 Connaught Cup on turf at the Toronto, Ontario track. Switching from turf to Tapeta was a winning move as the son of Tapit took the lead early in the Grade 3 Seagram Cup and kept it from start to finish, hitting the wire 1 3/4 lengths ahead of 2020 Queen's Plate and Prince of Wales winner Mighty Heart.

Tap It to Win's best showing in a stakes race prior to Saturday was second in the 2020 Grade 1 H. Allen Jerkens at Saratoga. In the G3 Seagram, he broke fastest, jockey Rafael Hernandez moving Tap It to Win out to a two-length lead. Might Heart and Dolder Grand were second and third as the around the first turn and into the backstretch. As the field approached the far turn, Tap It to Win held an easy lead, with Mighty Heart moving closer to challenge.

On the turn, Tap It to Win continued to roll on the front into the stretch, quickening in the Woodbine straight to hold off Mighty Heart's and Special Forces' closing kicks. The 2020 Queen's Plate winner challenged on the leader's outside, but no one was passing Tap It to Win. He held on to win, with Mighty Heart second and Special Forces third.

The final time was 1:43.79. Find this race's chart here.

Tap It to Win paid $11.40 and $4.70. Mightly Heart paid $2.60. With a short field of five, the G3 Seagram Cup had no show wagering.

Bred and owned by Live Oak, Tap It to Win is out of the Medaglia d'Oro mare Onepointhreekarats, a black-type stakes winner. Trained by Mark Casse, the 4-year-old ridgling has two wins in five starts in 2021, for a litetime record of five wins in 14 starts and career winnings of $412,462.

The post Tap It to Win Makes Tapeta Debut Winning One In Seagram Cup appeared first on Horse Racing News | Paulick Report.

Source of original post

Canadian Champion Gretzky The Great Headlines Sunday’s Toronto Cup

The $125,000 Toronto Cup and the $100,000 Belle Mahone co-headline Sunday's 11-race card at Woodbine.

Nine 3-year-olds, a group that includes Artie's Storm, Gretzky the Great and Riptide Rock, will travel one mile on the E.P. Taylor Turf Course in the Toronto Cup.

Owned and trained by Paul Buttigieg, Artie's Storm will chase his first added-money score in his third stakes appearance.

A son of We Miss Artie-Tiz Stormy Now, Artie's Storm heads into the Toronto Cup off a third-place effort in the Greenwood Stakes, just a head back of winner Gretzky the Great, who he'll meet again on Sunday.

Artie's Storm rallied stoutly in the Greenwood, contested at seven furlongs over the E.P. Taylor on August 14.

David Moran, who has been aboard for all five of the dark bay's starts, once again gets the call.

“He's a lovely horse,” said the multiple stakes winning jockey. “He loves the turf, but I don't think the surface matters at all with him. He settles lovely in every race and he always tries. The distance for this race won't be an issue for him because he's very relaxed in the race and he loves the turf. He's just a nice horse.”

Moran handed out top marks to the gelding for the determined Greenwood showing.

“He just got beat. He just missed second by a head bob, where he was in front just before and just after the wire. It was hard-luck not to be second to Gretzky the Great last time.”

Artie's Storm debuted last October at the Toronto oval, rallying to finish third, a neck away from taking top spot in the 5 ½-furlong Tapeta race.

Bred by Sunrise Farm, Artie's Storm broke his maiden next time out in his three-year-old debut in a main track race over seven panels on the main track.

After a runner-up result in the Queenston Stakes, he was back in the winner's circle, recording a half-length score in a 1 1/16-mile turf race on July 24.

“When I came back after that first race, I said, 'Paul, you've got a really nice horse here,'” recalled Moran. “I told my agent all winter not to miss that horse. He's just improved every race. He's training really well coming into this race. He's a lovely horse to be around and has a great attitude.”

Multiple stakes winner and Canada's champion 2-year-old male Gretzky the Great goes after his fifth career win his ninth start. Bred by Anderson Farms Ontario, the son of Nyquist is trained by Mark Casse for Gary Barber and Eclipse Thoroughbred Partners.

Riptide Rock, who finished a hard-charging second to Safe Conduct in the Queen's Plate on August 22, will return to the turf for the first time since his career bow last October, when he was a 2 ½-length winner in a six-furlong race on the E.P. Taylor. The Stronach homebred is trained by hall of famer Sid Attard.

Also on Sunday, seven starters will go postward in the Belle Mahone Stakes, a 1 1/16-mile main track event for fillies and mares, three-year-olds and upward. Trainer Mark Casse sends out the trio of Art of Almost, Crystal Glacier and Skygaze.

The Woodbine Turf Endurance Series continues with a 1 ½-mile Inner Turf race. Mambointheforest, at 79-1, took the first leg, at 1 3/8-miles on the Inner, for trainer Ron Sadler and owner Phillip Lanning. The series concludes with a 1 ¾-mile marathon on the E.P. Taylor Turf Course on October 3.

The Toronto Cup is scheduled as the eighth race on Sunday's 1:10 p.m. program. The Duchess is slated as race nine.

Fans can watch and wager on all the action through HPIbet.com.

$125,000 TORONTO CUP STAKES

Post – Horse – Jockey – Trainer

1 – Riptide Rock – Justin Stein – Sid Attard

2 – Artie's Storm – David Moran – Paul Buttigieg

3 – War Bomber (IRE) – Shaun Bridgmohan – Norm McKnight

4 – Derzkii – Jason Hoyte – Carlos Grant

5 – My Sea Cottage (IRE) (S) – Rafael Hernandez – Mark Casse

6 – Lenny K – Antonio Gallardo – Kevin Attard

7 – Azzurro – Eswan Flores – John Mattine

8 – Barnegat Light – Pablo Morales – Timothy Hamm

9 – Gretzky the Great – Kazushi Kimura – Mark Casse

$100,000 BELLE MAHONE STAKES

Post – Horse – Jockey – Trainer

1 – Crystal Glacier – Kazushi Kimura – Mark Casse

2 – No Mo Lady (S) – Luis Contreras – Michael Trombetta

3 – Saratoga Vision – Jeffrey Alderson – Alexander Patykewich

4 – Skygaze – Patrick Husbands – Mark Casse

5 – Art of Almost – Emma-Jayne Wilson – Mark Casse

6 – Fate Factor – Rafael Hernandez – Chris Block

7 – Antigone – Daisuke Fukumoto – Zeljko Krcmar

The post Canadian Champion Gretzky The Great Headlines Sunday’s Toronto Cup appeared first on Horse Racing News | Paulick Report.

Source of original post

No Safe Conduct, But Eight Sophomores Entered For Second Leg Of Canadian Triple Crown

A competitive field of eight horses will take part in the 86th running of the Prince of Wales Stakes, the 2nd jewel of the OLG Canadian Triple Crown (CTC).

Six of those contenders are coming off varied performances in the Queen's Plate. The 2021 Queen's Plate winner Safe Conduct will by-pass the Prince of Wales, but H C Holiday who placed third in the Plate will be looking to improve on his performance going 1 3/16-miles over the border oval's dirt course on Tuesday, September 14.

Trained by Kevin Attard, the dark bay colt is the son of Ami's Holiday. A graded stakes winner, Ami's Holiday was a runner-up in the 2014 Queen's Plate and finished third in the 2014 Prince of Wales Stakes. He went onto capture the third jewel of the CTC, the Breeders' Stakes at Woodbine. His leading progeny, H C Holiday put in his final work over the Fort's dirt course earlier this week. His conditioner is pleased with his training heading into next week's race.

“He's trained really well. He came out of the race (Queen's Plate) in great shape. I thought he looked really good on the dirt training track at Woodbine. We brought him on Tuesday (to the Fort) as well and he went (1:01:20) by himself and seemed to be striding out really nice. He looked pretty smooth going over Fort Erie's course. Obviously if he runs back to that kind of race like last time in the Plate, he will be tough to beat.”

Owned by Ivan Dalos, H C Holiday will be ridden by Luis Contreras. Contreras has piloted several horses to victory in the Prince of Wales, including Pender Harbour (2011), Amis Gizmo (2016), and Cool Catomine (2017).

Attard will also saddle Harlan Estate (seventh in the Plate) and Haddassah (eighth in the Plate). Both horses have worked well heading into next week's race. Attard was impressed with Harlan Estate's work over the dirt earlier this week at the Fort.

“I was most surprised with him. He worked really well. He hasn't been that great of a work horse, so he looked pretty comfortable. He went 59 and change. I'm kind of pumped about his chances. In my mind after watching him work I think his chances have increased. He came out of the work in good shape as well and he's a horse that kind of plods along. He will need a good trip and he can't afford to get stopped midway,” said Attard.

Meanwhile fifth-placed Plate finisher, Keep Grinding will continue the grind heading into the second jewel of the CTC. Trained by Tino Attard for Kevin's son, Joshua Attard, the bay colt posted his final work at the Fort, in company with Harlan Estate going (:59:40) over the dirt.

Avoman, winner of the 2021 Plate Trial Stakes and the 2020 Bull Page Stakes at Woodbine is looking to step up his game after a sixth-place finish in the Plate. The bay gelding will be sent out by conditioner, Donald MacRae and ridden by Antonio Gallardo.

The lone filly taking on the boys this year will by Mark Casse's trainee, Curlin's Catch. The daughter of Curlin is coming off a fifth-placed finished in the Woodbine Oaks. She will be guided by veteran rider, Patrick Husbands. Back in 2018, Husbands clinched the Queen's Plate and the Prince of Wales with a filly named Wonder Gadot, trained by Mark Casse as well.

Looking to make waves in the Prince of Wales is Gail Cox's trainee, Tidal Forces. Owned by Sam-Son farm, the son of Malibu Moon finished ninth in the Plate. Woodbine-based jockey Emma-Jayne Wilson retains the mount and will pilot the bay colt around the border oval.

[Story Continues Below]

Ready At Dawn, conditioned by Daryl Ezra for Double Blooded Stables, is the Fort-Erie based trainee. The son of More Than Ready will be the race longshot at 30-1. The bay gelding won his last start at the Fort on August 9 going seven furlongs over the turf course. The Prince of Wales Stakes, contested over the turf course, going 1 3/16-miles (nine and a half furlongs) will require the bay gelding to stretch out in distance over a different surface. His conditioner is tapping into the family lineage in order to capture the stakes race.

“I'm relying on his pedigree. His great grandmother Dance Smartly won the Canadian Triple Crown including the mile and a half Breeders' Stakes and his grandmother Dancethruthedawn won a multitude of stakes – the Oaks, the Queen's Plate. The pedigree says distance so I'm going to rely on that to get us through it.”

Despite being the longshot, Ezra feels very confident about Ready At Dawn's chances.

“I've done every job imaginable back here (at Fort Erie Race Track), from charting, announcing, and training. I've seen a lot of races. We are 30-1 in the morning line, but we are as good as anything in there.”

The $400,000 Prince of Wales Stakes is the middle jewel in the OLG Canadian Triple Crown, for three-year-olds foaled in Canada, running 1 3/16-miles over the border oval's dirt surface. First race post time on Tuesday, September 14 is 1 p.m., with the Prince of Wales race scheduled for approximately 5:35 p.m. Due to COVID-19 restrictions, Fort Erie Race Track is open to a limited number of spectators. Those watching from home can tune into the Canadian Triple Crown Broadcast beginning at 5:00 p.m. on TSN Channels 1 and 3, sponsored by OLG.

For more information, please visit forterieracing.com

$400,000 Prince of Wales Stakes, the second jewel of the OLG Canadian Triple Crown

POST – Horse – Jockey – Trainer – (morning line odds)

  1. Avoman –Antonio Gallardo – Donald MacRae – (7-2)
  2. Tidal Forces – Emma-Jayne Wilson – Gail Cox – (15-1)
  3. Curlin's Catch – Patrick Husbands – Mark Casse – (9-2)
  4. Haddassah – Gary Boulanger – Kevin Attard – (12-1)
  5. H C Holiday – Luis Contreras – Kevin Attard – (5-2)
  6. Ready At Dawn – MarkLee Buchanan – Daryl Ezra – (30-1)
  7. Harlan Estate – Kazushi Kimura – Kevin Attard – (6-1)
  8. Keep Grinding – Rafael Hernandez – Tino Attard – (3-1)

The post No Safe Conduct, But Eight Sophomores Entered For Second Leg Of Canadian Triple Crown appeared first on Horse Racing News | Paulick Report.

Source of original post

Verified by MonsterInsights