Hearing In Louisiana Kill Pen Case Delayed Till December

The Louisiana Department of Agriculture is proceeding with cases against two people associated with a well-known kill pen operation in the state. Hearings for Jacob Thompson and Tara Sanders were postponed from an October meeting of the state's Board of Animal Health until its next regularly scheduled meeting on Dec. 3.

Earlier this year, the Department asked a judge to issue a temporary restraining order against Gary Thompson and Jacob Thompson, both of Vernon Parish, to stop them from buying and selling livestock. The order was also designed to prevent anyone from acting as a livestock dealer on the Thompsons' behalf. According to the state's complaint, both Thompsons had acted in the capacity of livestock dealers — buying horses and cattle and selling them within 30 days of purchase — while they did not hold dealer licenses in Louisiana.

Charges from mid-September state Jacob Thompson is alleged to have committed ten violations of state regulations requiring agents and dealers to be licensed by the Board of Animal Health and ten violations of a different regulation requiring dealers to file a surety instrument with the state in order to operate.

The Department also alleges Sanders committed 11 violations of the regulation requiring agents and dealers be licensed by the Board of Animal Health. Correspondence from the state to Sanders allege she bought and sold at least 11 horses between May and August of this year while she was unlicensed.

According to the state, Sanders submitted an application in mid-August for a dealer's license and a copy of the requisite bond or surety instrument. State officials claim the application contained material misstatements that could put the application in jeopardy. They claim there were discrepancies between Sanders' application and secretary of state filings about whether she or Thompson currently own the kill pen. Sanders claims she has purchased the kill pen business from longtime partner Jacob Thompson, and that he is now employed by the business.

Louisiana Director of Animal Health John Walther told Sanders on Aug. 14 she could not conduct business as a livestock dealer until she had a permit. The state says she did so anyway, triggering a cease and desist letter on Sept. 3 that Sanders is also alleged to have ignored. The lot has continued marketing horses for sale on its Facebook page throughout recent weeks.

Sanders told the Paulick Report in August that the state's petition for a temporary restraining order and a preliminary and permanent injunction against the business did not apply to her because she maintained residency in Oklahoma, where livestock dealer permits are not required.

The company operated by Sanders and Thompson has been marketed under various names on social media but is most commonly known as Thompson Horse Lot or JT Livestock. The lot is known for purchasing horses from various auctions in the area and threatening to ship horses to slaughterhouses in Mexico if they are not sold. Social media users are offered the opportunity to purchase the horses at a set price based on photos and videos or to contribute to the horse's “bail” fee and allow someone else to own the horse.

In addition to the state's proceedings against the pair for licensing issues, a public information act request from early October revealed the Department is in the midst of an “active animal health investigation” related to the lot. No further details were available on the nature of the investigation as of Oct. 6.

The post Hearing In Louisiana Kill Pen Case Delayed Till December appeared first on Horse Racing News | Paulick Report.

Source of original post

Breeders’ Cup Unveils #MyBreedersCup Initiative

The Breeders’ Cup has unveiled #MyBreedersCup, a multi-pronged digital and social program designed to bring the best of the upcoming Breeders’ Cup World Championships to fans around the world. Created in response to the recent decision to conduct the 2020 event without fans on-site due to COVID-19, the program provides fans with new opportunities to interact with the championship event remotely, from innovative digital viewing experiences to a virtual fashion contest and more.

The 37th running of the Breeders’ Cup World Championships is scheduled to take place Friday, Nov. 6 and Saturday, Nov. 7 at Keeneland. The event will be broadcast live on NBC, NBCSN, NBCSports.com and the NBC Sports app, as well as on BreedersCup.com and the Official Breeders’ Cup app.

“Our fans are the heart and soul of the Breeders’ Cup, and we are thrilled to introduce new and exciting opportunities for them to engage with the upcoming World Championships from the comfort of their homes,” said Drew Fleming, President and CEO of Breeders’ Cup. “Encompassing all facets of the Breeders’ Cup experience, this new program makes it easier than ever for fans to join in the excitement of the event, whether through following their favorite horses, crafting our official cocktails or showing off the finest race day fashions. We look forward to seeing our loyal fans, as well as new fans, get into the Breeders’ Cup spirit in a whole new way, and we hope they enjoy the various activations we’ve created to enhance their at-home viewing experience.”

The post Breeders’ Cup Unveils #MyBreedersCup Initiative appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

Source of original post

‘I Loved That Man’: Huey Barnes Gives Emotional Eulogy For Barry Abrams

Family, friends and race trackers spanning three generations paid their final respects last Monday to Barry Abrams in a graveside service at Forest Lawn in Hollywood Hills.

The popular former trainer passed away on Oct. 9 at 66 after a courageous 15-year battle with cancer, never showing a hint of self-pity.

Amid the emotion, Santa Anita horn blower Jay Cohen, in traditional fox hunt regalia, gave Abrams his final call to the post.

Huey Barnes, an 87-year-old African American who came to California to work as an exercise rider for Charlie Whittingham in the 1950s when racial discrimination was still a sty in America's eye, with public restrooms and drinking fountains for “Colored Only,” delivered an impromptu and moving eulogy.

Barnes is still going strong today working at Santa Anita as an assistant starter.

Abrams was born of Jewish ancestry in Russia where his father, Lev, earned his living as a butcher, but a darker skin pigment and a disparate faith didn't prevent Huey and Barry from becoming fast friends, each an ardent fan of the Los Angeles Lakers.

Their relationship was based on what matters most: character, values, loyalty, honesty, trust and respect, not skin color and religion.

In his final years when it was no longer safe for Barry to drive, Barnes picked him up at home and drove them to Laker games.

“When they were over Barry would always find some hole-in-the-wall spot to eat, one I never heard of, and I been out here for a long time,” Barnes said.

“Then next game he'd take me to another spot and I'd ask him, 'Where do you keep finding these places?' He loved horses, the Lakers and food, and it made him feel good when he could share them with me.

“I loved that man.”

Common interests and an absence of prejudice nurtured their uncharacteristic and unyielding bonding of more than four decades, this black man from Brooklyn and this white man from Russia.

Race was never an issue.

The word only came up when Barry had a horse running in one.

The post ‘I Loved That Man’: Huey Barnes Gives Emotional Eulogy For Barry Abrams appeared first on Horse Racing News | Paulick Report.

Source of original post

Personal Ensign Winner Vexatious ‘Slightly Off,’ Ruled Out Of Breeders’ Cup Distaff

Winner of the Grade 1 Personal Ensign by a neck over champion Midnight Bisou on Aug. 1, Calumet Farm's Vexatious has been ruled out of the Breeders' Cup Distaff.

According to trainer Jack Sisterson on Twitter, the 6-year-old daughter of Giant's Causeway came up “slightly off” Friday morning; her most recent workout was on Oct. 17 at Keeneland.

Sisterson indicated that the plan is to race Vexatious in 2021.

“We always prioritize the best interest of the horse and have elected to defer to caution and not compete in the upcoming Breeders' Cup,” Sisterson wrote. “While this is a disappointment, we look forward to her coming back healthy and happy for a 2021 campaign.”

The post Personal Ensign Winner Vexatious ‘Slightly Off,’ Ruled Out Of Breeders’ Cup Distaff appeared first on Horse Racing News | Paulick Report.

Source of original post

Verified by MonsterInsights