Gulfstream Park: Irad Ortiz Jr. On Record Pace, Rainbow 6 Jackpot Has $250,000 Guarantee

The 20-cent Rainbow 6 jackpot pool will be guaranteed at $250,000 Thursday at Gulfstream Park in Hallandale Beach, Fla.

The popular multi-race wager went unsolved Wednesday for the first racing day since Sunday's mandatory payout. Multiple tickets with all six winners were each worth $51.34 Wednesday.

The jackpot pool is only paid out when there is a single unique ticket sold with all six winners. On days when there is no unique ticket, 70 percent of that day's pool goes back to those bettors holding tickets with the most winners, while 30 percent is carried over to the jackpot pool.

There will also be a Super Hi-5 carryover of $4806.94 into the first race, a maiden claimer for fillies at six furlongs.

Hurricane Bertie (G3) Rescheduled to March 20
The $100,000 Hurricane Bertie (G3), for fillies and mares at 6 ½ furlongs originally scheduled for Saturday, will now be run Saturday, March 20 after it failed to fill.

“The Hurricane Bertie is an important race on the Gulfstream Park schedule,” said Gulfstream's Vice President of Racing Mike Lakow. “We're going to do our best to make it go next Saturday.”

WHO'S HOT:  Defending two-time Championship Meet titlist Irad Ortiz Jr. added four more victories to his meet-leading total Wednesday. Ortiz, who had ridden 11 winners on the previous three programs at Gulfstream, kicked off Wednesday's program with victories aboard Breakthrough ($2.60) in Race 1, Bourbon Thunder ($6.60) in Race 2 and Isadorable Aida ($7) in Race 3 before scoring aboard Field Day ($) in Race 6 and Coworth Park ($10.60) in Race 7.

Ortiz has ridden 126 winners during the Championship Meet, just 11 wins behind the record of 137, set by Luis Saez during the 2017-2018 meet.

The post Gulfstream Park: Irad Ortiz Jr. On Record Pace, Rainbow 6 Jackpot Has $250,000 Guarantee appeared first on Horse Racing News | Paulick Report.

Source of original post

After Missing Fountain Of Youth Due To Cough, Prevalence In Gulfstream Allowance Thursday

Godolphin LLC's Prevalence, a brilliant 8 ½-length debut winner, is scheduled to make a highly anticipated return to the races Thursday at Gulfstream Park in Hallandale Beach, Fla.

The Brendan Walsh trainee will headline a field of six 3-year-olds in an entry-level optional claiming allowance, a one-turn mile event carded as Race 8.

Prevalence debuted on the $3 million Pegasus World Cup Invitational (G1) undercard at Gulfstream Jan. 23, brushing with a rival shortly after the start before asserting himself on the backstretch and drawing away under wraps to complete seven furlongs in 1:23.

The Feb. 27 Fasig-Tipton Fountain of Youth (G2) at Gulfstream had been a goal for the homebred son of Medaglia d'Oro before missing a key workout by a brief illness.

“It was minor, a cough, but that put him out of any consideration for the Fountain of Youth,” Walsh said. “He's worked back since and has worked really well. He worked really good Friday, so we're happy with him. It will be a nice progression tomorrow going a mile from seven-eighths.”

A Kentucky Derby (G1) prep is a next-start possibility, depending on his return to the races Thursday.

“If we do, depending on tomorrow, it would be one of the very last ones, like the Arkansas Derby, the Wood or the Blue Grass,” Walsh said. “But I hate to look any further ahead than tomorrow.”

Tyler Gaffalione has the return mount aboard Prevalence.

David Fawkes-trained Caxambas Candy, who won by 4 ¾ lengths in his Feb. 17 debut in a mile off-the-turf maiden special weight race; and Gail Cox-trained Tio Magico, a son of Uncle Mo who finished second in the Nov. 1 Coronation Futurity at Woodbine last time out; are among Prevalence's rivals.

The post After Missing Fountain Of Youth Due To Cough, Prevalence In Gulfstream Allowance Thursday appeared first on Horse Racing News | Paulick Report.

Source of original post

LA Times Columnist John Cherwa Joins Writers’ Room

Los Angeles Times columnist John Cherwa has seen a lot in just a handful of years on the Southern California racing beat, and Wednesday morning he joined the TDN Writers' Room podcast presented by Keeneland to discuss the past, present and future of racing in the Golden State. Calling in via Zoom as the Green Group Guest of the Week, Cherwa talked about the progress in Santa Anita's safety record, the top 3-year-olds on the west coast and the effect of last week's protest at Golden Gate Fields.

“I wrote tens of thousands of words on the horse breakdowns at Santa Anita,” Cherwa recalled. “I was on the phone with a source who was at the track when Battle of Midway went down and then it just mushroomed from there. Last week at Golden Gate, you saw where protesters went on the track over some recent deaths there. At that point, there were five deaths. One was a sudden death, which was probably a heart attack. There were only two what we call breakdowns. At a similar point in 2019 at Santa Anita, there were 20. I think a lot has been done [since], mostly I think through pre-race evaluations. If you watch the Los Alamitos races on Friday, Saturday and Sunday night, you'll see a lot of scratches, and a lot of those are because of pre-race evaluations. So I think the progress has been immense. However, until the number [of deaths] becomes zero, it's never enough [for anti-racing protestors]. And zero is, in many terms, unattainable number.”

Asked about the challenges to presenting the sport for a national audience, Cherwa said his dispassionate approach to racing has led to some backlash both from within the industry and outside of it, but that having only covered racing for a few years affords him a fresh view of things.

“I get hate mail from a lot of the horse racing people because I cover horse deaths and things like that,” he said “I get threats from the animal rights activists because I'm not covering it enough. I've even gotten death threats from the animal rights people. Frankly, no one is covering that more than I have, not because I want to, but because it is a big story in California. The fact that I'm kind of new to this myself, means that I'm learning along with my audience and I do on a lot of things. I've got like three or four, I'll just call them sources, that I will call all the time to have them explain something to me just to make sure of what I think I know.”

Elsewhere on the podcast, in a jam-packed West Point Thoroughbreds news segment, the writers discussed the first sentencing domino to fall from last year's indictments, the official news of Gulfstream adding a Tapeta surface that first broke on the show back in December, and the Golden Gate protests. Click here to watch the podcast; click here for the audio-only version.

The post LA Times Columnist John Cherwa Joins Writers’ Room appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

Source of original post

Updated: Tests Show Gulfstream Filly Did Not Die Of EHV-1

Two barns at Gulfstream Park were briefly placed under a precautionary quarantine after an accident on the track's backstretch this week. The Daily Racing Form and Thoroughbred Daily News reported Wednesday morning that a filly escaped handlers Tuesday morning and ran through the barn area for a period of time, entering a barn that she was not stabled in before being caught. She was later found down in her stall suffering from neurological symptoms Tuesday night and was euthanized.

Because it was initially unclear whether the horse suffered some kind of trauma earlier in the day which led to her incapacitation or if she was suffering neurological disease, state animal health officials suggested implementing a quarantine while awaiting results of the filly's necropsy. 1/ST Racing chief veterinary officer Dr. Dionne Benson confirmed Wednesday afternoon that test samples from the horse were negative for EHV-1.

Elsewhere in Florida, a large horse show in Ocala is the center of an EHV-1 outbreak with two confirmed cases as of Wednesday. On Tuesday, an EHV-1 case was reported at Laurel Park, resulting in a quarantine of four barns there and a cancellation of the Friday racing card.

The post Updated: Tests Show Gulfstream Filly Did Not Die Of EHV-1 appeared first on Horse Racing News | Paulick Report.

Source of original post

Verified by MonsterInsights