Sammes Tabbed Epsom GM, Crespi Named Goodwood Racecourse Director

Tom Sammes has been appointed as the new General Manager of Epsom Downs Racecourse while James Crespi returns as the new Racecourse Director of Goodwood Racecourse after eight years away from the Goodwood Estate.

Sammes, 33, has been employed as Head of Strategy at The Jockey Club since September 2021, leading commercial strategic projects as well as planning to drive long-term revenue growth for the business. A graduate of Bristol University, he worked previously in similar roles in golf for the PGA European Tour and the Ryder Cup.

He takes up his position at Epsom Downs, effective immediately, working alongside Crespi ahead of the latter's move to Goodwood Racecourse in mid-June, after the conclusion of The Derby Festival.

James is no stranger to West Sussex having previously spent 10 years at the Goodwood Estate working across the motor sport and music events before becoming General Manager at Goodwood Racecourse. After a spell as Chief Operating Officer at West Wittering Estate PLC, Crespi became the General Manager of Epsom Racecourse as part of The Jockey Club.

Crespi, who is replacing the outgoing Jon Barnett, will take up his position June 19.

The post Sammes Tabbed Epsom GM, Crespi Named Goodwood Racecourse Director appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

Source of original post

Menuisier Hoping Heartache Can Continue Wonderful Story

Eric Clapton has already inadvertently provided owner Chris Wright and trainer David Menuisier with one Group 1-winning filly in the form of Wonderful Tonight (Fr) (Le Havre {Ire}) and now it's up to The Eagles. 

Former record company boss Wright has a long history of naming his horses after song titles, and when it came to the half-sister to the multiple group winner, the selection of Heartache Tonight (Fr) (Recorder {GB}) seemed fitting. There may well have been a little heartache involved, too, as at the time she was signed up as a private purchase at Arqana's October Yearling Sale, her elder-sister had only recently exited stage left, her season and career curtailed by injury. By that stage, however, Wonderful Tonight had already won the G1 Prix Vermeille and G1 QIPCO British Champion Fillies & Mares S., as well as the G2 Hardwicke S at Royal Ascot and the G2 Lillie Langtry S. at Goodwood, her local track.

Now in her place at Menuisier's Sussex stable is her three-year-old sibling, who on Friday will become her trainer's first runner in a British Classic. Like Menuisier, Heartache Tonight was born and bred in France, but they have both migrated across the Channel. Despite Britain now being the filly's permanent base, she has raced solely in her native country in her three starts to date. 

By the Sumbe sire Recorder, a son of Galileo (Ire) bred by Her Late Majesty the Queen, Heartache Tonight is out of the Montjeu (Ire) mare Salvation (GB) and was herself bred by Sylvain Vidal, the former head of Haras de Montfort & Preaux, where the Sumbe stallions reside. 

Menuisier demonstrates his trademark sangfroid when it comes to lining up at Epsom. “We're keeping our feet on the ground,” he says. 

“The main plan has always been and will still remain the autumn for this filly. She will have a break after this and she will be trained for the Arc. If she's not good enough we can bring her back. That said, I wouldn't run [in the Oaks] if I didn't think she has a chance, but I personally feel no pressure about Friday.”

No box-walking for the trainer, then, and he is justified in his belief that his filly, who runs in the colours of Chris Wright in partnership with Andy MacDonald, deserves her place in the line-up. 

Heartache Tonight was the easy winner of her sole start at two, which came on heavy turf and over nine furlongs at Lonchamp. She returned to Paris in April for the G3 Prix Cleopatre, in which she was beaten just over a length when third behind Crown Princesse (Fr) and Elusive Princess (Fr). All three were pitched straight into Group 1 company for their next start in the Prix Saint-Alary and finished second, third and fourth behind Jannah Rose (Ire), with a length and a half separating the quartet. 

“I think that the two trials she ran in were interesting races and they came across as being of a good level,” says Menuisier. “When we ran in the Cleopatre, she was the only filly making her seasonal debut in the race and it was only her second race ever. We don't train on turf here, we train on wood chip, so it was her second time on the grass and I thought she ran a strong race.

“She was always going to need the run. A furlong and a half out she looked like she was getting swamped but then she had a little breather and picked up again, so that was a really good performance.”

He continues, “We decided to aim high and I said at the time that we would only run in the Saint-Alary on soft ground, because I think that she would have lacked a little pace to have won over 1m2f on good ground. 

“It was a bit of a stop-and-start race, but it was the same again, and when they quickened, she looked like she was getting swamped again, but then she picked up and rallied and was only beaten a length and a half. The second and the third were the fillies who finished just in front of her in the Cleopatre, so the form repeated itself and the filly gained experience. She was really green at Saint-Cloud but she's learning all the time and we feel at home that she has improved more since the Group 1 than she did between the Group 3 and the Group 1. So, we'll see.”

Stepping up to the mile and a half of the Oaks test, rather than remaining at the shorter distance for the Prix de Diane, especially now that the ground has dried out significantly, will suit Heartache Tonight, according to her trainer. 

“I think she wants 1m4f to compete at the top level. It's great to go and run in France but every time it is a long journey. We're only 45 minutes from Epsom so it's perfect to run here.”

It is only natural to draw comparisons between half-sisters, especially when they emanate from the same stable, but Menuisier outlines one key difference in the make-up of Heartache Tonight.

He says, “This filly is very similar to her sister in many ways. She has a strong temperament but she is so much easier to train than Wonderful Tonight. This one is pretty bombproof, and I'd be surprised if she was fazed by the preliminaries. When she ran at Longchamp, she stayed in Chantilly and travelled over to the racecourse in the morning, and it was quite busy at the track and the stables were packed but she didn't turn a hair. She was sleeping flat out in her box before the race. She has the constitution to go to war in the big races.”

Menuisier adds, “It's a fantastic story for everybody really. What is the chance of having two sisters competing at Group 1 level, especially when you buy them at the sales? It's pretty exceptional.”

The post Menuisier Hoping Heartache Can Continue Wonderful Story appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

Source of original post

Passenger Joins the Derby Fray

Saturday's Betfred Derby at Epsom has been boosted by one supplementary entry, with the Niarchos family opting to pay the £85,000 fee to add Dante S. third Passenger (Ire) (Ulysses {Ire}) to the line-up.  At the confirmation stage, 16 colts remain in contention, with Coolmore's Auguste Rodin (Ire) (Deep Impact {Jpn}) and Godolphin's Military Order (Ire) (Frankel {GB}) vying for favouritism. 

The latter is trained by Charlie Appleby, who will be aiming for a third Derby success following Masar (Ire) (New Approach {Ire}) in 2018 and Military Order's full-brother Adayar (Ire) two years ago. 

Issuing an update on his sole runner via the Godolphin website, Appleby said, “He came out of his Lingfield Derby Trial win very well and we've been very pleased with him since. He's improving week on week physically, and we can't fault him to date on what he has been doing in his work and on the racecourse. He goes out and gets the job done in the mornings without being flash.”

He continued, “He's a mile-and-a-half horse, so you don't expect flashy work. That hasn't changed from his two-year-old days and I wouldn't expect it to change.”

Passenger's trainer Sir Michael Stoute will be aiming for back-to-back Derby wins following the success of Desert Crown (GB) (Nathaniel {Ire}) last year, and his seventh victory in the race overall, while Aidan O'Brien is seeking a ninth Derby win. The Ballydoyle trainer has a quarter of the horses remaining in the entries, with the quartet being completed by Adelaide River (Ire) (Australia {GB}), Covent Garden (Ire) (Galileo {Ire}) and San Antonio (Ire) (Dubawi {Ire}). 

Godolphin has also supplemented Lingfield Oaks trial winner Eternal Hope (Ire) (Teofilo {Ire}) for the Oaks at Epsom on Friday.

“She bought her own ticket to the race,” Appleby said. “She's a filly who started her career in a Wolverhampton novice in February and all she has done is improve ever since.

“She's a trial winner, at a track that tests a horse's ability to handle sharp bends, and she acquitted herself very well. It is seen as a test for Epsom, which shouldn't pose any problem for her.”

Godolphin has already secured one British Classic this season with the Saeed Bin Suroor-trained Mawj (GB) (Exceed And Excel {Aus}). The 1,000 Guineas winner is now being aimed at the Coronation S. at Royal Ascot, where she could face a rematch with her runner-up Tahiyra (Fr) (Siyouni {Fr}), the winner of Sunday's Irish 1,000 Guineas.

“She is in good form,” reported Bin Suroor on the Godolphin website. “Her win meant a lot. It was the third time we won the 1,000 Guineas, but it had been a long time since the last one–21 years.

“We knew last year she was a good filly, but she is a tiny filly and you have to look after her. I gave her a break between races, just to allow her to recover.”

The post Passenger Joins the Derby Fray appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

Source of original post

Jockey Club Seeks Injunction to Curb Derby Disruption

The Jockey Club, owner of Epsom Downs Racecourse, has applied to the High Court for an injunction to prohibit acts intended to disrupt the Derby meeting on June 2 and 3. The hearing will take place on Friday, May 26.

The extraordinary move has been taken in the wake of increasing threats from the Animal Rising protest group which has already delayed the start of this year's Grand National by 15 minutes, and staged an on-course protest on Derby day last year.

An announcement from The Jockey Club states that the injunction would not hinder the right of anyone to protest peacefully, and that is has offered Animal Rising an area near the entrance of the racecourse specifically for this purpose on Derby Day.

“In planning for The Derby Festival our number one priority will always be to ensure that the safety of all our equine and human participants and the thousands of racegoers who join us at Epsom Downs is not compromised,” said Jockey Club chief executive Nevin Truesdale.

“We respect everyone's right to peaceful and lawful protest and with that in mind have offered Animal Rising a space for this purpose directly outside the racecourse during The Derby Festival.

“However, Animal Rising have made it explicitly clear that they intend to breach security and access the track itself in an attempt to stop racing taking place and it is our duty and obligation to do everything we can to protect everyone's safety and prevent a repeat of the illegal and reckless protests we saw at Aintree in April.

“As such the decision to apply for an injunction is a course of action we have been forced to take and is the result of careful consideration following consultation with Surrey Police and a number of stakeholders. If successful, this would be just one of a range of robust security measures we are implementing to ensure the event can go ahead safely.”

If granted, the injunction would prohibit individuals from invading the racetrack itself and carrying out other acts of disruption during the meeting. These include intentionally causing objects to enter the racetrack, entering the parade ring, entering and/or remaining on the horses' route to the parade ring and to the racetrack without authorisation, and intentionally endangering any person at the racecourse. Those found in breach of the court order could potentially be fined or given a prison sentence. 

 

The post Jockey Club Seeks Injunction to Curb Derby Disruption appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

Source of original post

Verified by MonsterInsights