Japan’s Loves Only You Programmed For Breeders’ Cup Run

Loves Only You (Jpn) (Deep Impact {Jpn}) will pass the upcoming G1 Takarazuka Kinen and will instead be trained towards an appearance at the Breeders' Cup meeting at Del Mar in November, according to a report in the Sankei Sports (SANSPO) daily sports newspaper.

A ¥160 million ($1,404,800) purchase as a yearling at the 2017 JRHA Select Sales, the 2019 G1 Yushun Himba (Japanese Oaks) winner has been ambitiously campaigned this season, with a popular victory at home in the G2 Kyoto Kinen (2200mT) in February ahead of a game third-place effort behind Mishriff (Ire) (Make Believe {GB}) and likely Takarazuka Kinen favorite Chrono Genesis (Jpn) (Bago {Fr}) in the G1 Longines Dubai Sheema Classic (2410mT) the following month. The mare's international travels most recently took her to Hong Kong, where she led home a Japanese 1-2-3 sweep of the G1 FWD QE II Cup (2000mT) at Sha Tin Racecourse Apr. 25 (see below).

According to the Sanspo report, Loves Only You will be spelled in the cooler climates of Hokkaido near-term before amping up preparations for a potential trans-Pacific journey. Tentative plans call for a return to Hong Kong for the Longines Hong Kong International Races meeting in December.

Loves Only You would become the third Japanese-based horse to compete in the Filly & Mare Turf and would be following a similar path to Nuovo Record (Jpn) (Heart's Cry {Jpn}), who was 11th in the 2016 renewal at Del Mar before annexing that track's GIII Red Carpet S. less than three weeks later. She made her next start in Hong Kong, finishing fourth to compatriot Satono Crown (Jpn) (Marju {Ire}) in the G1 Longines Hong Kong Vase. Japan's Red Desire (Jpn) (Manhattan Cafe {Jpn}) was a close fourth to Shared Account (Pleasantly Perfect) at odds of 5-1 in the 2010 F/M Turf at Churchill.

A full-sister to G1 Dubai Turf hero Real Steel (Jpn), Loves Only You has a career record of 13-6-1-3 and earnings of $5,196,190.

 

WATCH: Loves Only You too strong in the FWD QE II Cup

The post Japan’s Loves Only You Programmed For Breeders’ Cup Run appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

Source of original post

Hot Rod Charlie Full Of Energy After Belmont Try

Even though he set the blistering pace in Saturday's Grade 1 Belmont Stakes presented by NYRA Bets and got into a heavyweight battle with Essential Quality down the lane before losing the 1 ½ mile “Test of the Champion” to that one by only 1 ½ lengths, Hot Rod Charlie was full of energy and enthusiasm the morning after at Belmont Park, Elmont, N.Y.

“He looks awesome, just awesome,” said trainer Doug O'Neill before jetting back to his Southern California base. “He ate up everything and licked his feed tub. We scoped him after the race, and he scoped clean. He was definitely a little rubber-legged after the race, but, by the time he got back to the barn area, he had already recovered. He recovered quickly. He's amazing.”

O'Neill, who was seeking his first Belmont win, said that how quickly this colt bounced back is a sign of how fit he is.

“Look at his dapples. He's so dappled it's unbelievable. His coat is still beautiful. He's full of energy and is just great this morning,” said the trainer while showing off his charge.

In 2012, O'Neill saw his hope of winning the Triple Crown with Grade 1 Kentucky Derby and Grade 1 Preakness Stakes winner I'll Have Another dashed when that colt was scratched on the eve of the race, and then he had to withdraw 2016 G1 Kentucky Derby winner Nyquist from Belmont consideration when the colt spiked a fever two weeks before the race.

Twelve hours after watching Hot Rod Charlie, the winner of the Grade 2 Louisiana Derby, come so close in the 2021 Belmont, he'd had time to put the performance into perspective.

“We're so proud of him. Super proud of Charlie,” he said of his team in the barn and the ownership group of Roadrunner Racing, Boat Racing, William Strauss, and Gainesway Stable. “We all feel so blessed to be connected with a champion of a racehorse. The whole crew would do this with him even if there was no purse money. To compete at the highest level and see Charlie and Flavien Prat connect on the biggest stage and give such a monstrous effort, we're going to carry that for days and weeks and months. We're still buzzing.”

Hot Rod Charlie, by 2013 G1 Preakness Stakes winner Oxbow out of the Indian Charlie mare Indian Miss, has tangled with G1 Belmont Stakes winner Essential Quality twice before. In the G1 Kentucky Derby, he was third, finishing in front of Essential Quality (fourth). In last year's Grade 1 Breeders' Cup Juvenile, Essential Quality finished first but just ¾ lengths in front of “Charlie.”

O'Neill said a rematch in the Grade 1, $1.25 million Runhappy Travers Stakes on Augusta 28 at Saratoga is possible.

“I think that's very logical,” said O'Neill. “The great thing about this group of guys is that they're so patient. I'm sure we'll talk about that in the next week or two, but just knowing the way this journey has played out, and hopefully, there are plenty more chapters in the Charlie tale, we probably won't decide for another three weeks or so. But it is the most logical next spot. If he takes us there.”

The Grade 1 Pacific Classic at Del Mar Race Track in Del Mar, CA is also a possibility for the 3-year-old.

Hot Rod Charlie was scheduled to fly back to O'Neill's stable early next week.

“When you look as good as Charlie does this morning, when you scope as clean, and when his appetite is this good, and you've got a great horse, it's a great journey,” he said.

The post Hot Rod Charlie Full Of Energy After Belmont Try appeared first on Horse Racing News | Paulick Report.

Source of original post

Bravo Shifting Tack To California: With New Crop Rules, He’s Now ‘Jersey No’

Jockey Joe Bravo, a vocal opponent of the strict riding crop rules imposed at Monmouth Park this year by the New Jersey Racing Commission, is heading to Southern California.

The news was first reported on Saturday by HorseRacingNation.com.

Bravo plans to ride the final three days of the Santa Anita meet, which ends on June 20, return to New Jersey to pack up for his westward migration, then arrive at Del Mar about a week before the July 16 opening day at the seaside track.

Bravo will be represented by Matt Nakatani, son of retired jockey Corey Nakatani. Nakatani is also agent for Mario Gutierrez.

“Nick Cosato (of Slam Dunk Racing) mentioned a few things to Joe about me, and the next thing I know we're in business,” Nakatani said. “I told Joe I could use a rider of his caliber and that Del Mar is a great opportunity for us. I think he can compete with any of the top guys here.

“Joe is a world-class turf rider,” he said. “He loves to save ground and split horses. That's turf racing for you. Trainers will appreciate his abilities.”

A third-generation jockey (his father, George, and grandfather, Bartolo, also rode), Bravo, 49, was born in Long Branch, N.J., just a few miles from Monmouth Park, where he's 13 riding titles. Known as “Jersey Joe” to his fans, Bravo opted not to return to Monmouth Park this year when the New Jersey Racing Commission adopted the most stringent riding crop rules in the country, restricting use of the whip to safety purposes only. California's current rule allows six “underhand” strikes with the crop during a race, with no more than two in succession.

First licensed in 1987, Bravo has won 5,488 races and has mount earnings of $188.9 million. Among his 30 Grade 1 victories is the 2019 Breeders' Cup Distaff at Santa Anita aboard Blue Prize.

Nakatani said Bravo intends to stay through this year's Breeders' Cup at Del Mar Nov. 5-6 and which point they will “reassess to see where we stand.” Nakatani added, “I wouldn't tell him to come out here if I didn't believe he had a big chance to do well.”

The post Bravo Shifting Tack To California: With New Crop Rules, He’s Now ‘Jersey No’ appeared first on Horse Racing News | Paulick Report.

Source of original post

Trevor Denman Returning To The Announcer’s Booth At Del Mar

Trevor's back.

True racing fans – and especially those who make Del Mar part of their summer routine – know exactly what that means.

Trevor Denman, the iconic racing commentator who called every race at the seaside oval between 1984 and 2019, will return to the Del Mar roof for the 2021 season after sheltering in place throughout 2020 at his rural Minnesota farm as he and his wife Robin rode out the COVID-19 pandemic.

“We are very keen to get back to Del Mar,” Denman recently wrote in an e-mail to a track official.

And Del Mar fans will be plenty keen to once again hear the 68-year-old South African expatriate when racing begins anew at the seaside oval on Friday, July 16.

When Denman first brought his unique style to Southern California in the 1980s, he quickly went about reshaping racetrack calls nationwide. With his understanding of the scene unfolding in front of him (he'd tried a stint as a rider early on), he was capable of “describing” the race lyrically instead of simply using the staccato style of position and margin that most U.S. callers employed. He painted a picture of the contest and was able to pick up early on late closers or tiring frontrunners to allow for more drama in his deliveries.

The award-winning caller initially spun his racing tales at Santa Anita and Del Mar, then also took on assignments at the now-closed Hollywood Park and Pomona, giving him a year-round circuit that was lucrative, but taxing. Finally – starting in 2016 — he cut back his assignments to Del Mar and Del Mar alone. The rest of the year he spent at his 500-acre farm amidst its clean air and starry nights. He explained it this way: “It (was) time to stop counting dollars and to start counting the stars.”

Denman will call the track's 31-day summer season, return to his Minnesota digs and then come back to Southern California again in time to add his dulcet tones to the track's 15-day fall stand starting on Wednesday, Nov. 3. This year Del Mar's second session, known as the Bing Crosby Season, will include the hosting of the Breeders' Cup World Championships on Nov. 5 and 6.

The post Trevor Denman Returning To The Announcer’s Booth At Del Mar appeared first on Horse Racing News | Paulick Report.

Source of original post

Verified by MonsterInsights