Fifty Years After No. 1, Denman Still Calling ‘Em As He Sees ‘Em

The date: August 14, 1971. The place: Clairwood Racetrack in Durban, South Africa.

Track manager Gerald Lea was on hand as an 18-year-old, who had been pestering him for an announcing job, called the first six races from a relatively remote spot, nowhere near the public address microphone. Then Lea said, “Trevor, come with me, you're calling the next race.”

They proceeded to the announcer's booth, where Trevor Denman called the first race of a career that hits the 50-year mark on Saturday at Del Mar. Denman has made calls from booths at many tracks since August 14, 1971. But, of course, he vividly remembers the first.

“It was the best thing that could have ever happened to me,” Denman said Thursday from his rooftop office at Del Mar. “Mr. Lea was a very intelligent man and he had a lot of sagacity and courage to take a chance on somebody as young as me.”

Given advance notice of his hiring, Denman contends, would have only provided time for nerves and pressure to build up and insecurities to formulate in his mind that would have affected his performance. As it was, he made the call as smoothly and faultlessly as most of the tens of thousands of others since.

And for the record: the winner was New Gold, ridden by John McReady and trained by Des Rich; the runner-up Charm School, ridden by Burt Hayden and trained by Syd Laird. In Durban, and South Africa in general at the time, newspapers were the most widely and readily available media and horse racing was big news.

So the story of a new, young announcer's breakthrough wasn't on Page 1 of the sports section, it was on the front page of the paper.

“I woke up, not thinking I was famous, but thinking I was now 'known' and it felt great,” Denman recalled. “For me to get the job was like getting the Monday Night Football job a few years ago when it was big, or something like that.

“People would point me out and say, 'I saw your picture in the paper.”

That was the starting point for a career about to hit the half-century mark. What follows are some notable moments, in and out of the booth, by decades.

The Rest of the 1970s

“Two things made announcing in South Africa huge,” Denman recalled. “The tracks were huge, a mile and a half around, and there was no television until 1976. So people relied on the announcer to (communicate) what they couldn't see and it was very important.

“When television came around, we started mentioning things like the colors the jockeys were wearing. It was a switch from calling for people who couldn't see what's going on, 90 percent of them anyway, to calling for people who could see on the television. Equipment changed as well as the technology got much better.”

The 1980s

The summer of 1981 marked a full decade for Denman at the job he had gravitated to when exercise riding and aspirations of being a jockey faded. And he was getting restless.

“The three racetracks in South Africa were very good, but when I got to be 28 – and 40 seemed old — I couldn't see myself working the same three tracks for the next 10 years,” Denman said. In need of a challenge, and forseeing the social unrest and political upheaval that lie ahead before the inevitable end of apartheid, his thoughts turned elsewhere.

There were, he said, only six English-speaking countries to consider and in four there was “no chance,” without some strong personal connection with someone in a high position – which he lacked – for genuine opportunity. It broke down to Canada or the U.S. for Denman and, with pluck, luck and skill, the U.S. became home.

At his own expense, he flew to Golden Gate Fields in San Francisco to call a race at an international jockey's day. In Los Angeles, with time to spend before a flight back to South Africa, he went to Santa Anita and, with a recommendation from track publicist Bill Kolberg, got an audition with track executive Alan Balch.

That led to his hiring at Santa Anita in the fall of 1983 and Del Mar in 1984 where his “analysis on the run” style of calling – instead of just going through the names front-to-back – caught on with Southern California fans and eventually went nationwide. Staccato out; storytelling in.

Which led to his call for Pimlico's in-house network of the 1989 Preakness, the consensus “Race of the Decade.”

Pimlico owner Frank De Francis called and asked Denman to be the guest announcer for three weeks, the end of which was the Preakness with Sunday Silence and Easy Goer going head-to-head for the length of the stretch and Sunday Silence prevailing by a nose.

“Two great horses, two great trainers in Shug McGaughey and Charlie Whittingham and it was so close,” Denman said. “That was exciting for sure.”

The 1990s

Talk about busy.

Early in the decade, Hollywood Park owner R. D. Hubbard became the latest in a line of racetrack executives to conclude that Denman at the microphone was a business asset.

“He came and asked if I would come to work for him at Hollywood Park,” Denman recalled. “I was under contract with Santa Anita, but he went to management there and got it cleared with them.”

What ensued was a period from 1992-95 in which Denman was the voice of the Southern California circuit, essentially year-round. By his estimate, approximately 250 days a year.

“I don't know how I did it,” Denman said. “Except I was a lot younger then.”

Racing aficionados cite Denman's calls of Cigar's victory in the 1995 Hollywood Gold Cup and Free House in the 1999 Santa Anita Handicap as examples of how he could anticipate an outcome before it happened (in the former case) or maintain the suspense until the last fraction of a second (in the latter).

Near the end of 1996, he and his wife Robin bought a farm in Minnesota (she was originally from there) that would eventually become a place to retreat to once he started to cut back on his virtual non-stop schedule.

2000-2010

One word: Zenyatta.

Denman called six of the great mare's first 14 victories leading up to the 2009 Breeders' Cup Classic and he, like the rest of the racing world, was eager to see the John Sherriffs-trained superstar take on males.

“That just set up so beautifully,” Denman recalled. “The California mare against such a talented field. Some were saying she'd only beaten up on California (females) and now she's facing the best in the world.”

Appearing hopelessly beaten even partway into the stretch, as she often did in her races, Zenyatta came with a powerful rush and Denman's pitch-perfect words gave everyone watching a rush of a different kind.

“Zenyatta is flying on the grandstand side! This. Is. Un-be-lievable! What a performance! We will never see another like this!”

The “This. Is. Un-be-lievable!” phrase was said in perfect rhythm with Zenyatta's final, winning strides to the wire.

“Her cadence was just right for that,” Denman said. “I never think about things like that beforehand, it just came to me and the cadence was perfect. It was as if she were listening to me as she was striding through it.

“Amazing, absolutely amazing.”

[Story Continues Below]

2010-2021

The 2009 Breeders' Cup was the fourth of seven consecutive years in which Denman was the announcer for the ESPN/ABC broadcasts, sharing the duties with Larry Collmus in 2012 before the event was switched to NBC.

The 2010 Classic, in which Zenyatta put a 19-race win streak on the line but had her late run come up inches short against Blame at Churchill Downs, is memorable to Denman for what might have been.

“It was one of those races where at the end, you think, 'Let's do it again,'

he said. “Man, I thought she was going to do it. It would have meant so much for the sport for her to retire undefeated.”

In December of 2015, Denman announced his retirement from Santa Anita after 33 years of calling at “The Great Place.” (He parted with a Denmanesque statement: “It's time to stop counting dollars and start counting stars.”) He soon started a Del Mar-only schedule of announcing the summer and fall meets and repairing to his Minnesota farm in the months between.

That schedule was interrupted last year when he opted to remain in Minnesota during the COVID pandemic, to be replaced by Collmus at Del Mar. He returned for the current season – his 37th at the place where the turf meets the surf — and plans to be back again in the fall and beyond.

“I can tell you in my life, right now, I've never, ever, ever been happier,” the 68-year-old Denman said. “In calling races, I think it's the absolute quintessential calendar year. If you've got to work, Del Mar is the place to do it. The scenery and the atmosphere here; that's it.

“Three months in the summer, one month in the fall, retired nine months.”

And 50 years into a job he loves.

The post Fifty Years After No. 1, Denman Still Calling ‘Em As He Sees ‘Em appeared first on Horse Racing News | Paulick Report.

Source of original post

Live Coverage From Arlington, Del Mar Highlights TVG’s Weekend Broadcast

TVG will be live on site from Arlington Park this weekend with full coverage of the final major day of racing in the track's storied history featuring the $600,000 Mr. D Stakes (G1), formerly the Arlington Million, one of three Grade 1 turf events on the card. The weekend will also feature live coverage of racing from Del Mar.

TVG's Mike Joyce and Scott Hazelton, both of whom with longtime family ties to horse racing in Illinois, will be live on site at Arlington Park with coverage including expert analysis and interviews as the track hosts eight stakes races including the $600,000 Mr. D. Stakes (G1), formerly the Arlington Million.

The Mr. D. Stakes (G1), renamed in honor of longtime track owner Richard L. Duchossois, has attracted a field of ten turf horses including Domestic Spending, the morning line favorite at odds of 6-5 for trainer Chad Brown who has saddled four winners of the Arlington Million including the last three winners. The 4-year-old gelding has won six of his seven lifetime starts and was last seen winning the Manhattan Stakes (G1) at Belmont Park in June. Flavien Prat will be in the irons.

At Del Mar this weekend, Todd Schrupp, Christina Blacker, Britney Eurton, Joaquin Jaime, and Larry Collmus will be trackside with exclusive interviews, insights and handicapping selections throughout Saturday's ten-race card. The featured event is the $80,000 PT, CTT and TOC Stakes for fillies and mares going 1 3/8 miles on the main track. Richard Mandella will saddle Tapwater, a homebred daughter of Tapit for LNJ Foxwoods. The five-year-old mare will have Umberto Rispoli aboard as she tries to earn her first stakes victory.

In addition to racing from Del Mar and Arlington Park, TVG will also be featuring Monmouth Park, Gulfstream Park, Pimlico and more. Fans can tune in on TVG, TVG2 and the Watch TVG app which is available on Amazon Fire, Roku and connected Apple TV devices.

The post Live Coverage From Arlington, Del Mar Highlights TVG’s Weekend Broadcast appeared first on Horse Racing News | Paulick Report.

Source of original post

Pletcher-Trained Dr Post Likely To Ship West For Pacific Classic

Dr Post, a 4-year-old son of Quality Road trained by Todd Pletcher is a strong candidate to ship in from the East Coast to run in the $1 million TVG Pacific Classic at Del Mar a week from Saturday. The Pacific Classic is a “Win and You're In” race for the Breeders' Cup Classic in November.

Owned by the St. Elias Stable of Vincent Viola, whose sports-related endeavors include ownership of the National Hockey League's Florida Panthers, Dr Post has four wins in nine career starts and earnings of $700,635.

A $400,000 purchase at the Keeneland September sale in 2018, Dr Post ran once as a 2-year-old before going through a five-race campaign in 2020 that featured a victory in the $75,000 Unbridled Stakes at Gulfstream Park, runner-up to Tiz the Law in the Belmont Stakes – run as the first leg of the Triple Crown series – third to Authentic in the Haskell and fourth in the Jim Dandy.

His 2021 campaign has been comprised of wins in two Grade 3 events – the Westchester Stakes at Belmont Park in May and Monmouth Cup in July – around a fifth in the Metropolitan Mile Handicap in June at Belmont Park. The TVG Pacific Classic will be the first race west of New Jersey for Dr Post, who has been training at Saratoga, and also his first at the 1 ¼-mile distance.

Del Mar vice president, racing and racing secretary David Jerkens said that the first likely confirmation of an out-of-state shipper for the signature event of the summer meeting – trainer Dallas Stewart has shown interest in sending 5-year-old Chess Chief in from Saratoga – was good, but not surprising, news.

“He's been under consideration all along,” Jerkens said.

The post Pletcher-Trained Dr Post Likely To Ship West For Pacific Classic appeared first on Horse Racing News | Paulick Report.

Source of original post

$1 Million Jackpot Bet Up For Grabs Thursday At Del Mar

The featured attraction on this Thursday's Del Mar card is a one-mile turf allowance race for 3-year-olds that has drawn 13 runners, though only nine of them will be able to go postward with the rail out at its maximum extension of 30 feet, making for a snug fit on the seven-eighths oval. It will go as the eighth and last race on the day's card.

But the co-feature of the afternoon no doubt will be those racing fans trying to take down the track's Pick Six Single Ticket Jackpot Wager which, after going unsolved for 12 straight days, will offer Thursday racegoers a chance to take down a prize of $1,127,460. The bet will be conducted on Races 3 through 8. So with first post set for 2 p.m., the Pick Six opener will go at approximately 3 p.m.

Two colts who finished second and fourth in the opening day Oceanside Stakes appear likely to draw the most attention in the $72,000 Thursday headliner. They would be Hronis Racing's Crew Dragon and Reddam Racing's Hockey Dad.

The former, a son of Exaggerator, came running late in the one-mile Oceanside and just missed by a head. It was the chestnut's first start for his new connections, which includes trainer John Sadler. He'd been racing in the east previously where he'd put together a win, a second and four thirds in six outings. Umberto Rispoli rode him in the Oceanside and he'll be back up on Thursday.

Hockey Dad showed a good turn of foot in the Oceanside, leading the race for the start to deep stretch where he gave way late and finished fourth, though only a half-length off the winner. Hockey Dad, a California homebred by Nyquist, has three wins in seven lifetime starts. Regular rider Mario Gutierrez will be back up once again Thursday.

Here's the full field for the feature from the rail out with riders:

Hockey Dad; Crew Dragon; Rockingham Ranch's Numbero Dix (Flavien Prat); Gary Barber's Laker Mamba (Abel Cedillo); Mt Brillant Farm and Ranch's War Machine (Trevor McCarthy); Holly and David Wilson's Barraza (Kent Desormeaux); Jones, Nentwig or Pagano, et al's Swiss Swoo (Tiago Pereira); Red Baron's Barn or Rancho Temescal's Cotopaxi (Drayden Van Dyke), and Amo Racing's The Hulk (Kyle Frey).

There are also four also-eligibles in the lineup who'll need a withdrawal from the main body of the race in order to run. They are:

Isa Salman Al Khalifa's Mohawk King (Juan Hernandez); Lea Farms' Fuego Caliente (Jose Valdiva, Jr.); STD Racing Stable, Logan or Miller, et al's Optimistic Valor (Joe Bravo), and Red Baron's Barn or Rancho Temescal's Dicey Mo Chara (Tyler Baze).

The post $1 Million Jackpot Bet Up For Grabs Thursday At Del Mar appeared first on Horse Racing News | Paulick Report.

Source of original post

Verified by MonsterInsights