ITM Irish Stallion Trail to Be Virtual in 2021

The 2021 Irish Thoroughbred Marketing Irish Stallion Trail will be held virtually due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, ITM announced on Wednesday. Instead, the event has been branded the ITM Irish Stallion Showcase, a digital and media event highlighting the success and appeal of Irish stallion farms. There will be videos from a range of Irish stallion farms, social media content, and an ad campaign which will be released from mid-December 2020, with a concentrated period of content going out from Jan. 11-16.

“The ITM Irish Stallion Trail has become an annual fixture for breeders and racing fans alike,” said ITM Marketing Executive Alex Cairns. “Unfortunately the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic means Irish stallion farms will not be able to open their doors for the Trail in January 2021. The content produced for the ITM Irish Stallion Showcase will allow us to communicate the success of Irish stallion farms through alternative means. We look forward to celebrating the outstanding work of Ireland’s world-leading stallion farms.”

The post ITM Irish Stallion Trail to Be Virtual in 2021 appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

Source of original post

‘The Case Is So Strong’ For Allowing Woodbine To Continue Racing, Says Lawson

News last weekend that new COVID-19 lockdown measures will force the closure of Woodbine before the end of its scheduled meet was met with frustration and uncertainty for track management and horsemen. The move seems unfair to Toronto Sun columnist Steve Buffery, who writes that the track has demonstrated an exemplary ability to keep COVID-19 at bay at a facility that sees 2,000 backstretch workers in the barn area every day.

Since the pandemic began, Buffery writes the track has seen one positive in its jockey colony, and that contact tracing determined the rider had been exposed to the virus outside of track property.

Training will still be permitted at Woodbine, which seems counterintuitive to Buffery, who points out that people will still need to enter the property for daily care of the horses associated with those activities.

According to the editorial published Tuesday, Woodbine Entertainment CEO Jim Lawson has reached out to government officials to discuss whether there is a way to allow the meet to complete its last few days. Lawson said he has not had a response from the government and has been unable to reach anyone on the phone.

Many have expressed concern for the futures of the horses (particularly those less successful runners) and the people who rely on them if the track can not complete the meet as planned. Woodbine will lose three weeks' worth of racing, with about $5.2 million in purses not being distributed as planned.

“They didn't do enough due diligence and homework to understand what we're doing,” Lawson told Buffery. “The decision was made without enough understanding of the Woodbine situation and the thousands of people that worked there in a COVID-free environment.

“The case is so strong.”

Read more at the Toronto Sun

The post ‘The Case Is So Strong’ For Allowing Woodbine To Continue Racing, Says Lawson appeared first on Horse Racing News | Paulick Report.

Source of original post

British Racing Welcomes Return of Crowds

Spectators will be allowed to return to sporting events in Tiers 1 and 2 in England as the COVID-19 cases in those areas decreases. Racing ceased in mid-March as the coronavirus pandemic began, and resumed behind closed doors on June 1. There were two small pilot events held at Doncaster and Warwick, but racing continued fanless under the new autumn lockdown imposed last month.

A joint statement from the British Horseracing Authority, The Horsemen’s Group and the Racecourse Association read: “The leaders of British horseracing have welcomed the government’s decision to allow spectators to return to sporting events in Tiers One and Two in England. Horseracing has been taking place behind closed doors since 1st June with participants attending under tight restrictions including medical screening and social distancing.

   Since then, we have been working hard with government, including public health officials, to secure the return of spectators. Pilot events with limited numbers were successfully held in September at Doncaster and Warwick, based on detailed plans developed by the Racecourse Association (RCA) in consultation with public health officials.

   A series of measures were put in place to keep racegoers and local communities safe. The British Horseracing Authority (BHA) worked with the individual racecourses and local public health officials to monitor those attending and no evidence of transmission of the virus was seen.   

   The change to restrictions announced by the Prime Minister will now be considered by racecourses and the BHA’s medical team. Further engagement will also be required with local public health officials. We thank ministers and officials at DCMS for their support which was crucial to today’s announcement, and all those involved across government and in Parliament.  

   The details of the government’s new approach to tiering are not due to be announced until later in the week. Until this has been published and individual racecourses are made aware of the restrictions in their area, it will not be possible to confirm which venues will be admitting spectators. We continue to encourage the UK government to allow betting shops to reopen in all areas as part of the change to restrictions.

   The BHA and RCA will now be engaging with government to clarify the basis on which spectators will be allowed to attend. With the Racehorse Owners Association, they will also be considering how this will affect the current rules governing owners’ attendance. Further announcements are expected later this week. Discussion with the Scottish and Welsh governments on their plans for spectators continue.

   The government last week announced that £40 million of loans would be available to horseracing. Details of the conditions for applying for loans are not expected now until later this week and it is likely to take some weeks before racing agrees an approach to using the available funding.”

BHA Chief Executive Nick Rust said, “This is more good news for racing and for our many millions of fans who have been unable to watch in person the sport they love since March. We know the numbers are limited to begin with and not all venues will be allowed to admit spectators, but this is progress. I am confident that all our racegoers will follow the government’s public health guidelines when they return to racing and this will allow us to increase the numbers attending. We have always said that racing will act responsibly and we all look forward to getting back on the track.”

“Following on from last week’s announcement of financial support, this is a very welcome development for racecourses across England,” said David Armstrong, the Chief Executive of the Racecourse Association. “Even with limited numbers, racecourses can start to re-open facilities for racegoers, hospitality guests and owners. Work continues to prepare for larger-scale pilots across the sports sector and Racing will continue to play a key role in this vital recovery phase.”

Charlie Liverton, Chief Executive of the Racehorse Owners Association, added on behalf of The Horsemen’s Group, “This is welcome news and a further step forward for racing after a challenging period for the sport. I am grateful to all those across the industry and government who have worked hard to get us to this position and look forward to constructive conversations on owner attendance at racecourses. Owners and other participants have played a vital role in ensuring racing could continue behind closed doors and under tight restrictions. Their support continues to be valued enormously and I very much hope all owners will be able to be back on course soon.”

The post British Racing Welcomes Return of Crowds appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

Source of original post

Sources: COVID-19 Outbreak Hits Parx Jockey Colony

Multiple sources have told the Paulick Report as many as 10 jockeys currently based at Parx Racing in Bensalem, Pa., have tested positive for COVID-19 in the last week. In addition, the sources said, one racing official who regularly comes in close contact with riders has also tested positive.

Track officials have not issued any statements concerning COVID-19 and could not be reached for comment.

Parx races Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays.

Angel R. Rodriguez, fourth leading jockey during the current meet, was off all mounts on Nov. 18 and has not been named to ride this week. At least two other riders who have been riding regularly at Parx, Jason Nguyen and Luis Rivera, were off their mounts last week and not named in entries for the upcoming week.

Numerous jockey changes are anticipated on Monday's card as a number of riders were said to have tested positive since entries were taken for the Nov. 23-24-25 races.

The post Sources: COVID-19 Outbreak Hits Parx Jockey Colony appeared first on Horse Racing News | Paulick Report.

Source of original post

Verified by MonsterInsights