Lawson: 2021 Queen’s Plate May Again Be Held In September

Due to COVID-19 delaying the start of the 2020 racing season at Woodbine, the Queen's Plate was pushed back from it's usual date in late June to Sept. 12. The race was held without fans, as was the rest of the season at the Ontario track.

Woodbine CEO Jim Lawson told canadianthoroughbred.com the track is considering scheduling the premier race for Canadian-bred 3-year-olds in September once again for 2021, in the hopes that fans may be able to attend.

“I don't have any expectations that in May or June we are going to have [fans] back,” Lawson told Canadian Thoroughbred. “I could see the Plate returning to its late June, early July date [in 2022] but for 2021 it is likely we will see a late stakes schedule again.”

Read more at the Canadian Thoroughbred.

The post Lawson: 2021 Queen’s Plate May Again Be Held In September appeared first on Horse Racing News | Paulick Report.

Source of original post

Visit Horse Country Launches Charitable Fund

Visit Horse Country, like many others, suffered a serious financial impact from the COVID-19 pandemic. Several members of the industry, such as Fasig-Tipton, Keeneland, the Breeders’ Cup and The Jockey Club, stepped into help. However, Visit Horse Country has now partnered with the Bluegrass Community Foundation to launch a charitable fund supporting initiatives like services for TAA-accredited aftercare members of Horse Country which receive a complimentary membership; scholarship and field trip visits; community outreach such as Meet the Neighbors; and a new workforce development partnership with the Kentucky Chamber of Commerce.

“Between refunds and not being able to offer tours, a year that had been trending to exceed 40% growth year over year turned into a budget net-negative,” said Price Bell, Jr., president of Horse Country’s board. “The way we’re currently structured, nearly all of our operating budget is derived from revenue sharing when members give tours. When that couldn’t happen, we were looking at a pretty dire scenario. We cut every expense we could, including a temporary furlough of our team. Even as a limited amount of tours reopened in 2020, we would not have made it without the financial support of our industry, community and members.”

So far, in a launch of the fund earlier this year, more than 70% of the initial goal of $150,000 has been raised, with major support coming from the W. S. Farish Fund, followed by the Duncan & Carol Taylor Fund, Headley & Nancy Bell, Priscilla Fallon, The Bakhaus Family Foundation, The Jones Family Foundation, Siena Farm, Godolphin and others.

“The successful work of fan development through Horse Country is vital to our industry. For it to go away after the dedication of so many wasn’t acceptable,” said Bill Farish of Horse Country member Lane’s End Farm, and on behalf of the W. S. Farish Fund. “The financial health of Horse County is vital to the success of the effort. I’m thrilled to hear the match by the W. S. Farish fund has worked and that Horse Country will make it through this pandemic.”

Tours for 2021 will be offered on a limited basis beginning late December, though some members may not resume regular operations until later in the new year. Updates can be found at www.visithorsecountry.com.

The post Visit Horse Country Launches Charitable Fund appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

Source of original post

Laurina Tops Third and Final Session of Tattersalls Ireland

The third and final session of the Tattersalls Ireland November National Hunt Sale was topped by the wildcard Laurina (Fr) (Spanish Moon) (lot 801A). A Grade 1-winning daughter of Lamboghina (Ger) (Alkalde {Ger}) over jumps, the Ballincurrig House Stud-consigned 7-year-old was knocked down for €290,000 to Ridgewood Stud. Another 7-year-old wildcard, the grey Moskovite (Ire) (Flemensfirth) (803A) found a new home at The Beeches Stud for €160,000. Consigned by Boherna Stables, the mare has placed twice at graded level over fences and is carrying her first foal by Crystal Ocean (GB).

A colt (lot 736) by Jukebox Jury (Ire) out of Sainte Baronne (Fr) (Saint des Saints {Fr}) was the most expensive weanling on the day at €70,000. The half-brother to Grade 2-winning bumper hero Appreciate It (Ire) (Jeremy) caught the eye of Richard Rohan and was part of the Charel Park Stud draft.

The foal session grossed €2,068,500 for 140 sold at a 74% clearance rate. The average was €14,775 and the median was €10,000. Combining the total results for weanlings, the aggregate was €8,932,500 for 529 sold. The average was €17,973 (+7%) and the median was €13,000.

During the mares’ session, a total of €994,000 was accrued for 18 individuals (72%). The average jumped up 229% at €55,222 and the median posted an even larger gain to €32,500 (+282%). For the entire sale, the clearance rate improved to 78% with an aggregate of €10,055,100, a median of €13,000 (+8%) and an average of €19,008 (+15%).

The post Laurina Tops Third and Final Session of Tattersalls Ireland appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

Source of original post

Breeders’ Cup Connections: At 91 Years Young, Blue-Collar Trainer Dancing His Way Into The Winner’s Circle

It's been a difficult year all around, but there are still a few bright spots out there in the world – you just have to know where to look.

This week, we found that feel-good story down in New Mexico. At the age of 91, trainer Rey Marquez saddled his first winner of 2020 at Zia Park on Dec. 3. It was his 13th starter of the year. 

It was “just” a $10,000 maiden claiming race on a Thursday, but truly it was more than that. It was a rare moment of joy bursting forth from this challenging year, both for Marquez himself and all those who know him.

“I don't know how many 90-year-olds are still training,” Marquez admitted during a telephone interview, noting that he turns 92 on Dec. 22. “But me, I still danced three times a week 'til the place shut down due to COVID – I do a mean cha-cha, gal!”

The horse, Lincoln County Kid, won by a length, and Marquez danced his way into the winner's circle with his trademark grin. It was a good return on investment; Marquez had purchased the 2-year-old gelding for $1,500 just six weeks prior. 

He'd taken a chance on Lincoln County Kid, sight unseen, to help out an old friend: a trainer forced to sell off his stock and leave the business. Marquez remembers telling his fellow horsemen that if things in New Mexico didn't start looking up, and soon, “there'd be a lot of tack for sale.”

It isn't just the pandemic that's dealing raw edges to the state's horse racing industry. Uncertainty about the future of racing at Sunland Park has sent some trainers and owners rushing for the border, and a recent lawsuit filed by the New Mexico Horsemen's Association against the state's commission alleges the latter has been improperly collecting over $8 million since 2004 to pay liability insurance for jockeys.  

“We have a really plum relationship with casinos – we get 20 percent of their net – but right now casinos are closed,” Marquez explained. “On Thursday when I won it was an $8,000 purse, so $4,800 goes to the winner. Last year when I won a maiden race my share was $16,000. 

“Everybody's having a hard time here. I just keep hoping for a miracle.”

Compounding the issue is the fact that account wagering is not legal in New Mexico. With COVID restrictions firmly established at Zia Park, no fans are allowed and thus there are also no mutuels clerks; that meant Marquez didn't have a bet down on Lincoln County Kid when the gelding paid $31.60 to win.

“It's not the best place in the world to be at right now,” Marquez said simply. 

Still, New Mexico has been his home since he and his childhood sweetheart Josephine got married 69 years ago, and he doesn't plan to leave now. There are too many happy memories tucked in around every little corner. 

He and Josephine were married for 35 years, and she passed away 34 years ago this month. 

Rey Marquez (Bernadette Barrios photo)

“We had a great marriage, and everybody loved her,” Marquez said, emotion causing his voice to catch. “That woman never met a stranger, and she loved the horses.”

Marquez still lives in Albuquerque, where he cut his teeth working for the local Health Department. He always enjoyed attending the races with Josephine and their friends on the weekends, and one afternoon on the way home from Ruidoso Downs, one friend suggested they buy a horse together. 

The idea was tempting, sure, but with two young children to support it just wasn't financially feasible. 

A few weeks later, fate intervened.

“One morning, two blocks away from the office, a cabbie had a passenger who was in a real hurry trying to catch a flight,” Marquez remembered. “He T-boned me at a light, and I got a nice insurance payout. So I guess you could say I got into racing by accident, literally.”

It took three horses before Marquez saw his silks head out to the track in the afternoon – his first two suffered injuries before they made it to the races.

“It was just bad luck at first,” said Marquez. “I asked my wife, 'Do you think somebody's trying to tell us to stay out of this business?' And she said, 'Hell no, go get us another one!'”

At first, Marquez hired an experienced trainer to condition his horses, then spent weekends on the backstretch helping out and learning as much as he could. Eventually Marquez got his trainer's license, and began operating a “working man's stable.”

Ruben Garcia, a friend who owned several Mexican restaurants in the city, was the first to offer Marquez a chance to begin training full time. Marquez took him up on the opportunity after retiring from the health department at age 62.

It was a family operation from the start. Marquez' wife was his biggest fan, and their daughter Threse ran the shed row for 17 years until her eldest child was school-aged.

He had a few nice runners over the years, led by 1984 Santa Fe Futurity winner Dan's Diablo. More recently, Marquez said the stakes-placed Strike A Spider was one of his favorites.

“This sport has been good to me,” Marquez said. “I wouldn't say I'm prudent, but I got my first nickel in it, and I haven't lost it yet.”

Marquez has saddled 266 winners from 3,488 starters during his career, according to Equibase. He's had a winner nearly every year since 1976, and said he never spent more than $4,000 on a horse. 

For Marquez, it's the thrill of watching his horses thundering down the stretch in front that keeps him rising early every morning to see to the needs of his small stable. The racing game also gives him a chance to stay close to the memory of his beloved late wife. 

“Most of my friends have passed on now,” Marquez said thoughtfully, then deflected that grim reality with humor via a story about his doctor.  

“I eat mostly fried chicken, fried chicken skin, pork … about two to three years ago my regular doctor retired, and the new doctor started talking to me and asked me what I ate. She was surprised, she said, 'There's the rule and there's the exception, and you're the exception!' I guess maybe she's right.”

 

The post Breeders’ Cup Connections: At 91 Years Young, Blue-Collar Trainer Dancing His Way Into The Winner’s Circle appeared first on Horse Racing News | Paulick Report.

Source of original post

Verified by MonsterInsights