Weisbord to be Released from Hospital After Successful Brain Surgery

Bradley Weisbord is expected to be released from Weill-Cornell Medical Center in New York City on Saturday, Dec. 19, after a successful six-hour surgery Tuesday to remove a benign cavernous malformation symptomatic hemorrhage in the left temporal lobe of his brain, according to his father.

“The surgery went well, but it was difficult and complex,” said Barry Weisbord. “Brad will recover for six to eight weeks before returning to work in February.”

The surgery was performed by Dr. Philip Stieg, who has been the Neurosurgeon-in-Chief at New York Presbyterian/Weill-Cornell for 20 years.

Weisbord had sent a letter to friends and clients informing them of the impending surgery last Saturday, in which he explained the reasons for the procedure.

“As many of you know, in September of 2018, I was diagnosed with a cavernous malformation; a lesion in the brain that had hemorrhaged,” he wrote in the letter last week. “At that time, this caused the symptoms of severe headaches, speech issues and short-term recall issues. After a few surgical opinions deeming the surgery too risky for one bleed, and the odds that it was unlikely to bleed again (in the short term), I was able to recover to what I feel was 100% in a few months.”

But Weisbord, who suffered a severe bout of COVID-19 at the beginning of the outbreak in America, began feeling symptoms again this fall, he wrote.

“Unfortunately, after my rough bout with COVID-19 in March of this year, an MRI showed a second minor bleed. My neurologist thought this was due to COVID, and we continued to watch it. Most recently, beginning in late October, I have been in a tremendous amount of daily head pain. I waited until our work was done in Kentucky and got a scan as soon as I returned home to New York City in November. The MRI revealed the third, and biggest bleed to date, and we have all decided it’s time to try to safely remove the lesion as the malformation is now growing, considered a chronic bleeder, that if not addressed could lead to deficits down the road.”

The news came after this year’s Fasig-Tipton November Sale, where Weisbord and his partner, Liz Crow, sold the sales topper Monomoy Girl for $9.5 million, a record for a racing or broodmare prospect, among five seven-figure mares.

“Brad got through the sale, albeit in a lot of pain, which he hid well,” said his father. “As such, his doctors felt it was time to remove the lesion, as it was causing severe headaches and hemorrhage and could have become a more serious problem,” said his father.

Stieg performed what is known as an awake craniotomy, a procedure performed while the patient is awake and alert. During the procedure, the surgical team, led by Dr. Babacar Cisse, a neurosurgical expert in brain mapping, and Dr. Heider Alexander Bender, performed cortical mapping to identify the vital areas called the “eloquent brain” that controls speech and movement which surrounded the lesion, approximately the size of a raspberry.

“We all are so grateful to the doctors and feel so fortunate to have found this incredible group of surgeons that will allow him to make a full recovery,” said Barry Weisbord. “The team at BSW/Crow Bloodstock and Elite Sales, including Liz, Katelyn Jackson and Jake Memolo, have been fully prepared to run the business and their upcoming consignment at Keeneland January while he continues to recover. We expect to see him back at full strength and at the races and sales by February.”

The post Weisbord to be Released from Hospital After Successful Brain Surgery appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

Source of original post

Owners’ Per-Start Fee to Increase by 10% Jan. 1

Stemming from the challenges arising from the COVID-19 pandemic, which forced the reduction of live racing, and California’s statewide increases in workers compensation costs, Post Time Self Insurance will institute a 10% increase, paid by both owners and trainers, to offset the shortages of the horse industry’s workers compensation program covering jockeys and backstretch workers. Owners and trainers fund the majority of program costs via per-stall charges from trainers and race per-start fees from owners. The owners’ per-start fee will be raised from $149 to $162, effective Jan. 1, 2021. The per-start fee will continue to be automatically deducted from the owner’s paymaster account every time they start a horse.

To help offset increased workers’ compensation per-start increases and provide additional financial support to California owners, the Thoroughbred Owners of California authorized an increase in the Guaranteed Participation Purses earlier this year from $351 to $500 per start in Southern California and from $300 to $450 in Northern California. Guaranteed participation purses are paid to owners of horses that fail to finish in the top five spots. Horses finishing sixth and beyond (and to fifth place finishers when their share of purse money is less than the corresponding Guaranteed Participation Purse) are paid $500 per start in Southern California and $450 per start Northern California.

The post Owners’ Per-Start Fee to Increase by 10% Jan. 1 appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

Source of original post

This Side Up: An Awesome Legacy For a Positive Future

So this dismal year slinks under our resentful glare towards the back gate, like an uninvited guest who has wrecked a party by outrageous behavior. Soon, perhaps, there will be a cheerful ringing of the doorbell and we can welcome one to revive spirits around the world.

In the meantime, somehow, the Thoroughbred is managing to hold together the strands linking all our yesterdays and whatever tomorrow may bring. I’ve often remarked, during recent months, that horsemen will be well served by the patient perspectives they require even at the best of times. Continuity is not optional, when a horse needs feed or exercise. But we are also indebted to many people beyond the shedrow: for maintaining, more or less unbroken, a calendar of graded stakes and bloodstock auctions that will keep the breed functional. Admittedly a few fixed points of reference were unfixed, some unnecessarily. But just consider what continuity, in the annals, has meant for the final big juvenile race of the year.

It’s pretty perplexing, on the face of it, that the Los Alamitos Derby should have lost its Grade I status last year. The two previous winners, Improbable (City Zip) and McKinzie (Street Sense), have in the meantime amply confirmed their elite stature. Mastery (Candy Ride {Arg}) did so as emphatically as possible in his only subsequent start, and the other winners since the closure of Hollywood Park were Mor Spirit (Eskendereya) and Dortmund (Big Brown).

Winners in the last years at the original venue, on synthetics, included Shared Belief (Candy Ride {Arg}), Violence (Medaglia d’Oro), Lookin At Lucky (Smart Strike), Pioneerof The Nile (Empire Maker) and Into Mischief (Harlan’s Holiday). And though the race was only inaugurated in 1981, the preceding roll of honor (on dirt) includes A.P. Indy (Seattle Slew), Real Quiet (Quiet American) (outstaying Artax {Marquetry}), Point Given (Thunder Gulch), Captain Steve (Fly So Free) and Best Pal (Habitony). Five Derby winners have been beaten in the race: Ferdinand (Nijinsky), Alysheba (Alydar), Thunder Gulch (Gulch), Giacomo (Holy Bull) and Gato Del Sol (Cougar II).

Then there are brilliant but tragic names, faded by time: the second running was won by Roving Boy (Olden Times), who broke down fatally on his return–in poignant symmetry with Landaluce (Seattle Slew), who had brought the female juvenile championship to California as well, before being struck down by colitis. Grand Canyon (Fappiano), meanwhile, melted the stopwatch at 1:33 in 1989 (race then still at a mile) only to be lost to laminitis the following year.

Fate dispenses its favors as randomly among horses as anywhere. But any who persist in discerning some latent coherence beneath events may wonder whether destiny has summoned Positivity (Paynter) into the gate for this year’s race, in the week that we lost his venerable grandsire.

Had Awesome Again been born under the same malign star as Roving Boy or Grand Canyon, we would have been denied not only one of the best performances ever to miss a formal championship, in the GI Breeders’ Cup Classic of 1998, but also a long stud career decorated by one of the very best racehorses of the modern era in Ghostzapper. As it was, he was able to retire into the cherishing hands of Old Friends, and can be mourned at 26 as one of the most important Thoroughbreds ever bred in Canada.

His own sire Deputy Minister, of course, was an Ontario-bred grandson of Canada’s ultimate pride, Northern Dancer. As ever, we also need to credit Awesome Again’s dam, especially as Primal Force (Blushing Groom {Fr}) subsequently produced champion juvenile Macho Uno (Holy Bull). (Incidentally, as Primal Force’s sire was a grandson of Nasrullah, Awesome Again combined the two main highways from Nearco.) But it is as a son of Deputy Minister that I always had high hopes for Awesome Again.

Where lots of other people obsess about the putative interplay of sire-lines, I tend to view broodmare sires as a more reliable foothold for building a family. The phenomenon is easier to observe than explain, no doubt: as when the sires of those bluest of blue hens, Urban Sea (Miswaki) and Toussaud (El Gran Senor), both happen to be out of mares by Buckpasser. Anyhow, one way or another Deputy Minister has definitely recycled his own prowess as a broodmare sire.

As it happens, Touch Gold–from the same crop as Awesome Again–was out of a Buckpasser mare; so maybe his daughters, in turn, will produce useful broodmare sires in the likes of Commissioner (A.P. Indy) and Upstart (Flatter).

Awesome Again, for his part, is damsire of a young stallion with strong credentials in Accelerate (Lookin At Lucky). And all good breeders should definitely be interested in fillies by Keen Ice: his sire Curlin is out of a Deputy Minister mare, and his dam is by Awesome Again. (Moreover, Keen Ice’s fourth dam is Chic Shirine (Mr. Prospector); while earnings of $3.4 million across four seasons very much speak to that toughness we associate with Deputy Minister–not least in the case of Awesome Again, in his pomp at four and responsible for a many horses that thrived with maturity, like Game On Dude.)

And if Awesome Again’s outstanding legacy is obviously a son, then Ghostzapper is himself already damsire of a Triple Crown winner. (Albeit Bravazo, another son of Awesome Again himself now starting at stud, tried his best to prevent that happening when getting closer to Justify (Scat Daddy) than did any other horse, closing to half a length in the GI Preakness S.)

It is through Paynter, however, that Awesome Again may have a fitting memorial carved at Los Alamitos. Positivity could prove an important horse for Paynter, whose flagbearer Knicks Go put his name back in lights at the Breeders’ Cup. This colt has so far been confined to Cal-bred sprints, but stretching out could elevate his form along with the company he keeps. After landing a maiden on debut in May, at just 4.5 furlongs, he graduated to win a 5.5 furlong stake before rallying after an all-the-way winner, the pair a street clear, in the Golden State S. over seven. It’s a blue-collar family, for sure, but Positivity’s dam is by Ghostzapper’s half-brother City Zip. That looks a pretty evocative formula for the carrying of speed.

Obviously, they changed the race conditions when Hollywood Park closed, and the small print now specifies that only Bob Baffert can win. Certainly the $1-million yearling Spielberg (Union Rags) has been campaigned like one of the stars of his barn and he follows Red Flag (Tamarkuz) here after running flat on a quick turnaround in the GIII Bob Hope S. That was a breakout performance from Red Flag, however, after looking green winning his maiden on turf, and he is in the very best of hands.

It looks a short enough field, on paper, but then taking away those Grade I laurels can be self-fulfilling. All I know is that the gate will be usefully congested by the specters of those who have gone before, whether illustrious past winners (and losers) in this race; or the lamented grandsire of Positivity.

At least Awesome Again was able to complete his second career. Poor Tapizar was also lost this week, to an accident shortly before his departure for a fresh start in Japan. Actually, he was out of a Deputy Minister mare, so may yet achieve some distaff influence even with his premature loss. (Everyone certainly looks forward to seeing what Monomoy Girl may achieve, in that regard, once finally retired.)

In the meantime, however, let’s “accentuate the positive, eliminate the negative” and not mess with “Mr In-Between.” There’s a new year coming, during which we can legitimately hope that “positive” and “negative” will be restored to their former use, in days before anyone ever heard of COVID-19 testing.

So let’s celebrate the many good things bequeathed by Awesome Again; and, however his grandson gets on in his Futurity mission, let’s accentuate the Positivity for 2021.

The post This Side Up: An Awesome Legacy For a Positive Future appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

Source of original post

Woodbine Announces Trio Of Initiatives To Support Backstretch Community This Winter

Woodbine Entertainment announced Friday a trio of initiatives designed to support the 130 people living on the backstretch at Woodbine Racetrack during the winter months.

First, Woodbine has partnered with the Horses First Fund, which will sponsor a nutritious, hot meal each week. The program will start on Wednesday, December 23 with a roast beef lunch then continue Fridays after that. This generous offering will be incorporated into a larger effort from Woodbine to engage backstretch workers over the course of the winter months through activities, shuttles to local malls and product giveaways.

The Horses First Fund assists Thoroughbreds and their caretakers in need of emergency aid due to large scale neglect, natural disaster, or other catastrophes.

Horses First Fund founder Jaime Roth of LNJ Foxwoods said: “I was especially moved by the misfortune caused by the pandemic on the Woodbine backstretch workers. Throughout this challenging year, the Horses First Fund has provided emergency funding to seven aftercare organizations, four backstretch organizations, and contributed to two equine feed assistance programs.”

The Horses First Fund is administered by the Thoroughbred Charities of America.

Additionally, Woodbine has reduced the rent for those living on the backstretch by 50 percent. Both the sponsored meal program and the Woodbine rent program will support workers until the reopening of the backstretch in February 2021.

Finally, in addition to its regular annual donation, Woodbine will make a $4,000 donation to the Race Track Chaplaincy of Canada to help ensure proper resources, programming and support for those remaining on the Woodbine Racetrack backstretch throughout the winter.

“This year has been tremendously difficult for so many people, including those that contribute to our world-class racing at Woodbine Racetrack,” said Jim Lawson, CEO, Woodbine Entertainment. “We know that due to circumstances beyond their control, many are unable to be with their friends and family this winter. I would like to thank our partners the Horses First Fund and the Race Track Chaplaincy of Canada, whom together with us will help ensure that everyone here at Woodbine has the support they need this holiday season and beyond.”

Earlier this month, Lawson was on-site to personally hand out holiday gifts to impacted backstretch workers.

The COVID-19 pandemic has been difficult for the Woodbine Thoroughbred community. Due to government restrictions, the season started late and ended early, denying the community their ability to earn money from the final three weeks of racing.

Woodbine thanks those involved in the training and care of Thoroughbred horses and wishes the entire Thoroughbred community a healthy and safe holiday season.

The post Woodbine Announces Trio Of Initiatives To Support Backstretch Community This Winter appeared first on Horse Racing News | Paulick Report.

Source of original post

Verified by MonsterInsights