Doncaster January NH Foal Session Moved to August

The weanling portion of the Goffs UK January Sale has been moved to the Doncaster August Sale on Aug. 4-5, Goffs UK announced on Thursday. The foal session has become a yearling session and it was transferred due to continued COVID-19 restrictions. The Goffs UK January Sale was originally split into two parts-the online horses-in-training and National Hunt breeding stock portion was part one on Jan. 26 and Part II was a physical sale of NH weanlings at Doncaster on Feb. 17. After this rescheduling, Part I of the sale will continue in its online format and on its Jan. 26 date. To view the online catalogue for Part I, please visit www.goffsonline.com.

“It was hoped that we would be in a place to hold a physical sale of NH Weanlings at Doncaster in February and we have been planning as such since our announcement earlier this month,” said Goffs UK Managing Director Tim Kent. “However, with the recent changes in government announcements, the current scale of the pandemic and the issues in getting overseas buyers to the UK, we feel that holding a physical sale next month is not in the best interests of everyone involved.

“We have spoken to all vendors who have entered NH weanlings and most have committed to offer their entries at the later date. We have also received some very positive comments from vendors who understand why we need to make this change so we would like to extend our thanks to our clients for working with us. The August Sale is a proven and growing NH sale, having sold the likes of Tiger Roll, and recording prices of up to £230,000.

“As stated, we will be holding our Part 1 Online January Sale of Horses-in-Training and NH Breeding Stock as scheduled next Tuesday 26 January from 10 a.m. The catalogue for that sale is online and anyone wishing to bid online must register to bid with Goffs 48 hours prior to the sale.”

The post Doncaster January NH Foal Session Moved to August appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

Source of original post

Aidan O’Brien Fined for Fillies’ Mile Saddling Error

Following a BHA inquiry into a saddling error that occurred prior to the running of the G1 Fillies' Mile, trainer Aidan O'Brien has been fined £4,000. His two fillies, Mother Earth (Ire) (Zoffany {Ire}) and Snowfall (Jpn) (Deep Impact {Jpn}), apparently ran eighth and third in the event, but O'Brien quickly alerted the British Horseracing Authority that in fact the horses had swapped saddle towels and jockeys. The BHA amended the result with Mother Earth and Snowfall correctly placed third and eighth, respectively. O'Brien was not present at Newmarket the day of the race due to traveling restrictions amidst the COVID-19 pandemic.

“Since the incident at Newmarket, additional ID checks have been in place at major Flat fixtures to minimize the risk of a reoccurrence,” said a BHA spokesperson. “A longer-term piece of work has been ongoing since October to look at the additional resource, technology and funding required to implement a further ID check once horses are saddled.

“It is particularly challenging in the current environment due to the additional resourcing requirements that the BHA's Covid-19 protocols already place upon staffing levels, but additional checks are being carried out on a discretionary basis.

“We will continue the work looking at the feasibility of implementing an additional check following saddling permanently and communicate any changes to participants and the public as necessary.”

The post Aidan O’Brien Fined for Fillies’ Mile Saddling Error appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

Source of original post

After 12 Years In Singapore, Top Trainer Shipping Out Due To Effects Of COVID-19 Pandemic

Top trainer Cliff Brown has become the latest handler to announce he is leaving Singapore to return to Australia, where he will be reunited with top sprinter Inferno. In another blow to the sport in Singapore, Brown has followed Lee Freedman in deciding to end his stay after 12 years training in Kranji, citing the impact of the Covid-19 pandemic as a key factor.

“COVID-19 has crushed the [Singapore Turf] Club, just like it has damaged a lot of other racing jurisdictions around the world,” said Brown, 51. “No one is immune to its devastating effects.

“When I came to Singapore, my business model was to win as many races as possible. With the many changes we've seen in the last year, many things have been taken away as a result – my business model won't work any more.

“The number of races has dropped, we can't get a run for our horses. That has greatly affected our income and our bottom line.”

Brown said that because of travel restrictions and border closures he had not seen his two eldest children, both at university in Australia, for a year.

He also wants to continue to train Inferno, the winner of eight of his nine starts including two G1s in Singapore, who was due to tackle the Hong Kong Sprint in December only to be scratched after being found to be lame.

Inferno is in quarantine ahead of travelling to Australia and will return to Brown's care once he has established a new base.

“Inferno going back is a big thing,” said Brown. “Having him here now wouldn't make any sense and that's why we decided to send him to Australia. There's no guarantee that he'll be good enough in Australia, he may not be top level, but I'd really like to see him there, and be part of that new journey.”

Melbourne Cup-winning trainer Lee Freedman announced last December he would be returning home in March, when Brown will also depart once he has wound up his business.

Brown trained 13 G1 and G2 winners in Australia including the 1997 Rosehill Guineas, 2002 Adelaide Cup and the South Australia Derby in 1996, 1997 and 2000 from stables in Victoria before he moved to Singapore.

He has regularly finished in the top five trainers, sending out 566 winners, 34 at Group level, including 13 G1s. His most successful horse was the 2016 Singapore Horse of the Year Debt Collector, who won five times at G1.

“I'm leaving around mid-March, and will also serve my two-week quarantine,” he added. “If all goes well, I'm hoping to start training in May, during which time Inferno would have already had a few weeks of work.”

This story was originally published by Horse Racing Planet and is reprinted here with permission.

The post After 12 Years In Singapore, Top Trainer Shipping Out Due To Effects Of COVID-19 Pandemic appeared first on Horse Racing News | Paulick Report.

Source of original post

Aqueduct Racetrack To Serve As State-Run COVID-19 Vaccination Center

The New York Racing Association, Inc. (NYRA) opened the first floor of Aqueduct Racetrack on Monday to serve as a New York state run COVID-19 vaccination distribution center.

In doing so, Aqueduct has joined NYRA's other downstate track, Belmont Park, which is home to a vaccination distribution center operated by Northwell Health that opened earlier this month.

Over seven million New Yorkers – including doctors, nurses and health care workers, people age 65 and over, first responders, teachers, public transit workers, grocery store workers and public safety workers – are currently eligible for the vaccine. To determine eligibility and schedule appointments at New York State-run vaccination sites, visit https://am-i-eligible.covid19vaccine.health.ny.gov/.

Opened Sept. 27, 1894, Aqueduct has lived several lives beyond racing, often opening its doors to serve the local community during its venerable and varied 126-year-history.

New York State Senator Joseph P. Addabbo, Jr., a lifelong resident of Ozone Park who has represented the 15th Senate District since 2008, expressed his appreciation to New York state and to NYRA for selecting Aqueduct as a new distribution site, which is operating seven days a week.

“Aqueduct Racetrack is a landmark and an institution that is universally known to the constituents that I represent,” said Addabbo. “New York state selected a perfect location for this COVID-19 vaccination site and I applaud them for moving so quickly to transform a racetrack into a vaccination center. This is not the first time the men and women of the New York Racing Association have stepped up to support the community and I also thank them for their efforts to protect and support New Yorkers throughout the pandemic.”

Last spring, New York state officials identified Aqueduct as an appropriate location for an overflow hospital to serve the residents of Queens in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. Fortunately, the overflow hospital was not needed then or now.

“NYRA is pleased to be able to contribute to the mass vaccination effort underway across the state,” said NYRA President and CEO Dave O'Rourke. “New York state has led the way through this unprecedented public health crisis and we will continue to do our part to support this effort.”

Beginning in April 2020, the Big A parking lot has been the home of a drive-thru COVID-19 testing location, and it continues in that role. Information regarding COVID-19 testing can be found at https://coronavirus.health.ny.gov/covid-19-testing.

NYRA racetracks have had many previous uses in the community. In the aftermath of Superstorm Sandy in 2012, NYRA donated the use of the Aqueduct parking lot to the American Red Cross to operate a mobile feeding kitchen and relief supplies staging area.

In the days following the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001, Belmont Park served as one of the staging areas for emergency vehicles and personnel. Less than seven weeks later, on October 27, 2001, Belmont Park was the site of the first major international sporting event post-9/11 in New York when it hosted the Breeders' Cup World Championships.

In 1944 during World War II, Aqueduct concluded a trio of War Relief Days in which all the net profits were donated to the National War Fund, American Red Cross and other causes, including three Long Island hospitals. The first two War Relief days were held at the old Jamaica Race Course and Belmont Park.

The day's featured race, the Carter Handicap, resulted in the only triple dead heat in a stakes race, with Brownie, Bossuet, and Wait A Bit hitting the finish line at the same time before more than 25,000 spectators on a rain-soaked Big A track. The event was heralded as a welcome break at a perilous, worrisome time in American history – all of four days after the D-Day landing in Normandy.

One of the track's finest moments came without a horse in sight. On October 6, 1995, Pope John Paul II said mass before 75,000, speaking from the 300-foot-wide papal platform in Aqueduct's infield, surrounded by 10 cardinals, three archbishops and 23 bishops. Though rain and wind had marred the first two days of the papal visit to New York, brilliant sunshine broke through just as the Pope began to speak. The crowd was Aqueduct's biggest ever.

The winter meet at Aqueduct Racetrack continues, without spectators, through Sunday, March 21. For additional information, and to access the current television broadcast schedule, visit NYRA.com.

The post Aqueduct Racetrack To Serve As State-Run COVID-19 Vaccination Center appeared first on Horse Racing News | Paulick Report.

Source of original post

Verified by MonsterInsights