Kentucky Three-Day Event Cancelled For 2021

The Land Rover Kentucky Three-Day Event presented by MARS Equestrian™ (LRK3DE) will not hold its famed Five Star three-day event this year, previously scheduled for April 22-25. The Kentucky CSI3* Invitational Grand Prix presented by Hagyard Equine Medical Institute and other events are being explored to be held over that weekend but without spectators.

“We have been working with US Equestrian, the Kentucky Horse Park, and state and local government on several different scenarios for April,” said Mike Cooper, president of Equestrian Events, Inc. (EEI) which produces the world-class event. “With so many uncertainties still remaining regarding the COVID-19 pandemic, it is premature for US Equestrian to remove its restrictions on spectators. Given the importance of the health and well-being of our spectators and competitors, we feel the only option at this time is to cancel the Five Star Event and hopefully proceed with other events that our fans can enjoy via livestream and other outlets.”

Among the other competitions being considered is a new CCI-4*-S which will likely feature many of the same horses and riders that would have been competing in the Five Star, plus the Kentucky CSI3* Invitational Grand Prix which normally takes place on Saturday afternoon.


“While disappointing that all our fans can't join us again this April,” added Lee Carter, EEI executive director, “we are excited that some of those same fans can now compete in new levels we will be offering during the 'Best Weekend All Year!' April 21-25 … Save the Date! Plans are being developed and will be communicated as approved.”

Spectators, patrons, vendors and sponsors who paid for the 2020 event and chose to roll their money over for 2021 will have the option of full refunds or rolling their money over again for 2022. Ticket holders can expect an email regarding their options. Sponsors may choose to be part of whatever events are held in 2021 with new agreements that fit this year's situation.

“We want to thank everyone who has been so patient throughout this difficult process,” Carter added. “We remain committed to all our supporters across the country and around the world and we look forward to putting on a great event this spring and welcoming everyone back for our full-scale Land Rover Kentucky Three-Day Event Five Star, with the Kentucky CSI3* Invitational Grand Prix, in 2022!”

Known as “The Best Weekend All Year,” LRK3DE is one of only seven annual Five Star three-day events in the world along with Badminton and Burghley in England; Luhmuhlen in Germany; Pau in France; Adelaide in Australia and the new Five Star event in Maryland. As the United States' premier three-day event, LRK3DE serves as the Land Rover/USEF CCI-5*-L Eventing National Championship Presented by MARS Equestrian™ for U.S. athletes. The event was scheduled to return to the Kentucky Horse Park in Lexington, KY, April 22-25.

The post Kentucky Three-Day Event Cancelled For 2021 appeared first on Horse Racing News | Paulick Report.

Source of original post

Second Tampa Purse Increase Kicks in Feb. 3

Tampa Bay Downs horsemen and horsewomen will benefit from another increase in purse money beginning Wednesday. The approximate 10% boost will provide a $1,000 increase for all maiden special weight, allowance, claiming and starter races.

Peter Berube, the track's Vice President-General Manager, said a double-digit gain in simulcast wagering has more than offset a decline in on-track wagering, making the second increase of the 2020-2021 meeting possible. The track had raised purses by approximately 10% Dec. 16.

Tampa Bay Downs is averaging $4.1-million in daily handle on its product, a 15%t increase from the same period last season. On-track wagering has fallen 25%, mostly attributable to the effect of COVID-19 on attendance.

“Our Thoroughbred signal is among the most popular in the country each winter and continues to gain new players, thanks to the size of our fields (an average of 8.4 horses a race) and our outstanding turf program,” Berube said. “We are pleased to use the increased revenue to support the people who make our racing competitive and challenging for serious handicappers and $2 bettors alike.”

The post Second Tampa Purse Increase Kicks in Feb. 3 appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

Source of original post

Woodbine Bringing Back Canadian International In 2021, Boosts All Grade 3 Purses 20 Percent

Woodbine Entertainment unveiled its stakes schedule today for the 2021 Thoroughbred racing season at Woodbine Racetrack in Toronto, Ontario, set to open April 17 (subject to the latest Ontario Government COVID-19 protocols).

The lucrative 2021 Thoroughbred stakes program will offer more than $16.5 million in purses across 87 stakes and feature a pair of $1 million classics, including the iconic Queen's Plate (Sunday, August 22), as well as the Grade 1 Ricoh Woodbine Mile (Saturday, September 18), a Breeders' Cup “Win And You're In” race. The G1 $600,000 Pattison Canadian International returns after a year hiatus due to the global COVID-19 pandemic and will be featured on the Woodbine Mile card along with the G2 $250,000 Canadian Stakes. The G1 Natalma and G1 Summer, both designated as Breeders' Cup “Win And You're In” races, have each received notable purse increases to $400,000 from $250,000. The G1 Highlander Stakes, with an increased purse of $350,000 (up from $300,000), also returns after a year hiatus due to the pandemic and will be featured on The Queen's Plate card on Aug. 22. Purses for all Grade 3 Stakes races at Woodbine Racetrack are also receiving a 20 percent increase to $150,000.

“We are excited to bring back the Pattison Canadian International as part of our world-class stakes schedule for the 2021 Thoroughbred meet at Woodbine Racetrack,” said Jim Lawson, CEO, Woodbine Entertainment. “The 2021 stakes schedule includes several significant purse increases, including the Grade 1 Natalma and Grade 1 Summer, as well as all Grade 3 stakes. These increases, along with a strong complement of stakes races for all ages, and robust Ontario Bred stakes offerings, will deliver exciting racing, competitive fields, and an abundance of wagering options available on Woodbine's outstanding live racing product.”

The Toronto racetrack will host the first and third legs of the Canadian Triple Crown of Thoroughbred Racing, starting with the 162nd running of the historic Queen's Plate and concluding with the $400,000 Breeders' Stakes on Sunday, Oct. 3. The second leg, the $400,000 Prince of Wales Stakes, will be run at Fort Erie Race Track on Tuesday, Sept. 14.

On Sept. 19, a pair of juvenile Breeders' Cup “Win And You're In” races take the spotlight, the G1 Natalma for 2-year-old fillies and G1 Summer for 2-year-olds. The Woodbine Cares and Ontario Racing Stakes, juvenile Inner Turf stakes introduced in 2019, will be contested on the same Sunday with purses of $125,000 each.

On Sunday, Oct. 17, the $600,000 E.P. Taylor Stakes (G1) headlines the day and serves as the final leg of Woodbine's Ladies of the Lawn Series, which offers $75,000 in bonuses to the top performers based on points accumulated in the designated graded turf routes for fillies and mares. The series also includes $175,000 Dance Smartly Stakes (G2) and $250,000 Canadian Stakes (G2). The winner of the Ladies of the Lawn Series in 2020 was Elizabeth Way.

The $500,000 Woodbine Oaks Presented by Budweiser, first leg of the prestigious Canadian Triple Tiara, headlines another major race card on Sunday, July 25, which includes the $150,000 Plate Trial, a key prep on the road to The Queen's Plate.

A strong Ontario Bred stakes offering includes the reinstatement of the Sir Barton Stakes, Shady Well Stakes, and Clarendon, each carrying a $150,000 purse.

“Our Ontario Bred and Ontario Sired stakes calendar and strong overnight opportunities remain an integral part of our racing program at Woodbine,” Lawson said. “We have very attractive opportunities for Ontario horses to stay and race at home and are excited about the return of the stakes races we were not able to run last year.”

The other classics for horses foaled in Canada are the Bison City (Sunday, Aug. 15), Wonder Where (Saturday, Oct. 2), Cup & Saucer (Sunday, Oct. 10), Princess Elizabeth (Saturday, Oct. 23) and Coronation Futurity (Saturday, Oct. 30). Each race carries a purse of $250,000.

Woodbine will celebrate Canada Day with a special Thursday afternoon program on July 1 highlighted by the G3 Dominion Day.

This year's Yearling Sales Stakes day, slated for Sunday, Aug. 29, will feature four stakes, including a pair of 2-year-old events (Simcoe and Muskoka) and a pair of 3-year-old events (Elgin and Algoma).

Also of note for 2021, Listed races have increased purses to $125,000, boosted from $100,000.

“Last year was obviously a challenging year for the industry due to COVID-19,” remarked Lawson. “While Woodbine Entertainment and the horse racing industry continue to be impacted, we are hopeful that the pandemic in Ontario improves in the coming months, allowing businesses and industries to safely re-open, including our ability to start our 2021 meet as planned on Saturday, April 17.”

Woodbine's 2021 stakes schedule is subject to approval by the Graded Stakes Committee.

The post Woodbine Bringing Back Canadian International In 2021, Boosts All Grade 3 Purses 20 Percent appeared first on Horse Racing News | Paulick Report.

Source of original post

Irad Ortiz, Jr. Wins Third Straight Eclipse Award for Outstanding Jockey

It's Irad Ortiz, Jr.'s world and we're all just living in it. The 28-year-old from Trujillo Alto, Puerto Rico who has grown up into a superstar before the racing world's eyes continued his dominance in 2020, leading to a third consecutive Eclipse Award for Outstanding Jockey. While his total earnings dipped over $10 million from his 2020 sum, that can be almost entirely attributed to the COVID-19 pandemic. In addition to the cancellation of much of the racing calendar through March and April and dramatic purse cuts that plagued the entire year, Ortiz was particularly cautious about the coronavirus, spending more than a month out of the saddle from Mar. 19 to Apr. 25. Nevertheless, he still paced all jockeys last year by banking over $23 million and once again proved his tireless work ethic by riding 1,271 horses despite his five-week break, a number that trailed just Tyler Gaffalione and Luis Saez among riders in the top 25 in earnings. Yet again leading the country in total wins, he also racked up 27 graded stakes wins–just one behind Flavien Prat for top billing–from 100 mounts and clearly led all jockeys with 52 stakes scores.

Following up on capturing his first GI Breeders' Cup Classic victory toward the end of 2019, Ortiz started 2020 off with a bang by piloting home Mucho Gusto (Mucho Macho Man) in the GI Pegasus World Cup Invitational S. He added top-level triumphs in the GI Whitney S. aboard Champion Older Dirt Male Improbable (City Zip), GI Jockey Club Gold Cup on Happy Saver (Super Saver), GI Breeders' Cup Sprint with Whitmore (Pleasantly Perfect) and GI Hollywood Derby on Domestic Spending (GB) (Kingman {GB}). In addition to Whitmore, he also scored with Golden Pal (Uncle Mo) in the GII Breeders' Cup Juvenile Turf Sprint to bring his career World Championships wins to an even dozen.

The post Irad Ortiz, Jr. Wins Third Straight Eclipse Award for Outstanding Jockey appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

Source of original post

Verified by MonsterInsights