Fasig-Tipton Catalogues 184 Entries for Gulfstream Sale

Fasig-Tipton has catalogued 184 entries for The Gulfstream Sale of Selected 2-Year-Olds in Training, to be held Wednesday, Mar. 31, in the racetrack's walking ring. The sale will begin at 2 p.m. The under tack show is scheduled for Monday, Mar. 29, beginning at 9 a.m. Fasig-Tipton was forced to cancel last year's Gulfstream Sale due to the coronavirus pandemic.

“We are excited to be returning to Gulfstream Park in March to conduct the nation's premier 2-year-olds in training sale,” said Fasig-Tipton President Boyd Browning. “The Gulfstream Sale annually provides an unrivaled concentration of quality, and this year's catalogue is loaded. In a short period of time, Gulfstream grads have won 13 different Grade I races, including the Kentucky Derby, Breeders' Cup Juvenile, Met Mile, and the Florida Derby twice. If you want to play at the top of the game, this sale–and its dirt racetrack–will get you there.”

The catalogue may now be viewed online and will also be available via the Equineline sales catalogue app. Print catalogues will be available from Fasig-Tipton offices in late February. Fasig-Tipton will also offer a supplemental catalogue once again this year. Supplemental entries will be accepted on an approval basis.

The post Fasig-Tipton Catalogues 184 Entries for Gulfstream Sale appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

Source of original post

Racing Cancelled At Turf Paradise Monday And Tuesday Due To COVID-19 Positive

Racing and training at Turf Paradise in Phoenix, Ariz., were cancelled on Monday after an employee in the jockeys' room tested positive for COVID-19. The unidentified employee has been hospitalized, according to Vincent Francia, the track's general manager.

Francia informed horsemen via social media late Sunday that all jockeys and valets had been notified and would be required to undergo rapid testing and three-day result testing for COVID-19. The jockeys' quarters were disinfected Sunday and would be fogged with an extra strength disinfectant.

The track's starting gate crew will also be required to undergo COVID-19 testing, and horsemen and Turf Paradise staff are also advised to get tested.

Francia said Monday morning that he anticipated training would take place Tuesday but racing would again be cancelled. He believed racing would resume on Wednesday.

The post Racing Cancelled At Turf Paradise Monday And Tuesday Due To COVID-19 Positive appeared first on Horse Racing News | Paulick Report.

Source of original post

COVID-19: Nick Garafola, Veronica Gallardo Among ‘Unsung Heroes’ Of Backstretch Community

Longtime New York Racing Association, Inc. (NYRA) employees Nick Garafola and Veronica Gallardo have worked valiantly for the racing community amid the COVID-19 pandemic in the dormitories located on the Belmont Park backstretch.

Garafola and Gallardo have a combined 37 years of experience at NYRA. On Belmont's vast backstretch, they're responsible for the housing and well-being of a small city: anywhere from 450 to 600 backstretch workers living in approximately 500 rooms among 69 cottages.

On March 19, 2020, NYRA voluntarily suspended live racing at Aqueduct Racetrack due to changing circumstances in the racing community relative to COVID-19 pandemic. Although racing was stopped, the essential work of caring for the more than 1,300 horses stabled at Belmont continued.

“That's when you ask yourself, 'how can I make a difference?'” said Garafola, who is NYRA's Dormitory Supervisor.

Nearly a year later, Garafola and Gallardo, NYRA's Assistant Dormitory Supervisor, are making a difference. They're NYRA's “first responders before the first responders,” as Garafola put it – as part of an expansive Belmont backstretch team responding to protocols and processes put in place to ensure the health and safety of the community, alerting medical professionals as needed and even serving as translators for a diverse group of backstretch workers.

“Nick and Veronica have played an important role in the day-to-day challenge of maintaining a safe working environment on the backstretch,” said Glen Kozak, NYRA's Senior Vice President, Operations and Capital Projects. “They've done so with hard work and a lot of empathy, by adapting when needed and by following a strict set of protocols. This pandemic has created some unsung heroes in our business. They're at the top of list.”

Gallardo and Garafola routinely go above and beyond the call of duty for their friends and extended family on the Belmont backstretch.
“If a resident goes into quarantine, we stay in touch,” said Gallardo. “Sometimes, there's not much to say. We just want them to know we're thinking of them and that we care.”

Garafola and Gallardo credit NYRA's Preparedness and Response Plan Committee, comprised of key NYRA staff members as well as representatives of the New York Thoroughbred Horsemen's Association (NYTHA), the New York Chapter of the Racetrack Chaplaincy of America (NYRTCA), the Backstretch Employee Service Team (B.E.S.T.), the Belmont Child Care Association (BCCA) and Premise Health – for taking an effective team approach to health issues, both big and small.

The committee has pitched in as needed, often on the fly. Last spring, in the early days of the pandemic, NYTHA received a shipment of several thousand face masks – at a period of time when masks could be hard to come by – and people from the committee groups made sure everyone on the backstretch received a mask and understood the importance of wearing one.

The team approach continues to pay off as representatives of NYRA, NYTHA, NYRTCA, B.E.S.T, and the BCCA have set up food banks, provided up-to-date communications on health care and distributed gift cards for groceries for the hundreds of Belmont-based backstretch workers and their families. Many of the tasks, too numerous to name, were performed essentially “on call” at all hours – and almost always involving Garafola and Gallardo.

“What Veronica and Nick do every single day is huge,” said Nick Caras, the NYRTCA's Programs Director. “The hours don't seem to matter to them. They just 'do,' helping us work together to make the backstretch safer for all.”

The post COVID-19: Nick Garafola, Veronica Gallardo Among ‘Unsung Heroes’ Of Backstretch Community appeared first on Horse Racing News | Paulick Report.

Source of original post

Chester Unveils Mass On-Site Testing Plan for Boodles May Festival

A plan for a mass lateral flow COVID-19 testing programme was unveiled by Chester Race Company Ltd. on Monday. The course's goal is to test up to 5,000 attendees per day at the 2021 Boodles May Festival on May 5-7. There would be three separate testing sites, enabling 1,800 lateral flow tests per hour to take place at the racecourse, with all attendees assigned a specific testing site and allocated entry time. There would also be staggered exit times. Fully-socially distanced racing experiences are also in development, so that racing fans can be in attendance safely.

“We have been working very hard with local authorities to build a clear operational procedure plan that could allow us to safely welcome back a limited number of spectators for the Boodles May Festival,” said Chester Race Company Chief Executive Richard Thomas. “The delivery of mass on-site testing is at the core of our stringent health and safety measures. Chester Racecourse could provide on-site testing facilities for 5,000 attendees per day with results within minutes.

“Our overall aim is to deliver a safe, secure environment for an enjoyable three days of racing and we hope that testing will give an added confidence to our attendees, customers, and staff, whose health and safety is of paramount importance.

“We're proud of our innovative approach here at Chester and are keen to be one of the first venues to be able to bring crowds back safely to live sport. Chester is known for providing a unique race day experience for all attendees and we have developed a number of new socially distanced concepts which will deliver an exemplary level of safety and service.”

The post Chester Unveils Mass On-Site Testing Plan for Boodles May Festival appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

Source of original post

Verified by MonsterInsights