Keeneland and Partners Providing Vaccines to Hispanic Stable Staff

Keeneland is collaborating with the University of Kentucky and other community partners to provide COVID-19 vaccinations to medically under-served populations, including Hispanic workers in Keeneland's stable area and on local horse farms. In an effort to address access and equity issues with the availability of the vaccine, Keeneland will host a mobile pop-up clinic at the Keene Barn and Entertainment Center this Saturday, Feb. 20, from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. The goal is to provide vaccines to the Hispanic population in racing's community.

Kentucky's Department of Public Health is allocating 500 vaccine doses at no cost. The clinic will also return to the site for booster shots.

Click here for more details and other clinic locations and dates.

The post Keeneland and Partners Providing Vaccines to Hispanic Stable Staff appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

Source of original post

Saudi Cup: Japanese Grade 1 Winner Chuwa Wizard ‘In Really Good Form’

Japan's challenger in Saturday's $20 million Saudi Cup has made his second visit to the Gulf region with hopes from connections that it will be more successful than his first.

Chuwa Wizard had started his 2020 term in flying form in the Grade 1 Kawasaki Kinen, with the son of King Kamehameha clinching a six-length win in what had looked to be a good preparation for the Dubai World Cup at Meydan last March.

However, the cancellation of the meeting from the Covid-19 pandemic saw a 20-strong Japanese contingent, including Chuwa Wizard, flying back home instead.

So Chuwa Wizard reappeared in June, with Christophe Lemaire partnering him to finish third behind Chrysoberyl, last year's Saudi Cup contender, in the 2000m (1 1/4-mile) Teio Sho at NAR-Oi.

In the following JBC Classic, at the same track in November, Lemaire had his mount sitting handily in the field on a rain-affected track but he finished third behind his biggest rival, Chrysoberyl, once again.

But in December, in the Champions Cup at Chukyo, he finally gained not only his first Grade 1 at the top-tier JRA level in Japanese racing, but the edge over Chrysoberyl as he came two and a half lengths clear in an ideal prep for his Saudi Cup challenge.

“He's a very talented horse,” said trainer Ryuji Okubo. “From the tactics we had in the JBC Classic, I decided to change the strategy again in the race. I wanted to make the most of what he had, so I told the jockey (Keita Tosaki) to settle him further back, targeting Chrysoberyl from behind.”

Bred by the Japanese leading breeding operation Northern Farm, Chuwa Wizard has barely put a foot wrong since winning a maiden at Kyoto in February 2018. Since his debut, he has been unplaced only once in his 18 career starts.

Tosaki has partnered Chuwa Wizard in his exercise since he arrived in Saudi Arabia on Monday and is happy with what he has seen.

“He has matured a lot and showed lots of progress every time he races,” the jockey said. “I think he is in really good form and has been the same as how he is at home, feeling good.”

After helping his mount to his most significant victory to date in Japan, Tosaki is keen to make the most of their partnership in what will be a new experience.

“Having riding experiences overseas is nothing but very special for me,” he said. “My last trip to overseas was the Shergar Cup at Ascot (in 2017), and this is my first trip to Saudi Arabia.

“I have had a really good time and it is a great experience to ride here. Even under the difficult circumstances, I am very honored and grateful to have been invited.”

 

The post Saudi Cup: Japanese Grade 1 Winner Chuwa Wizard ‘In Really Good Form’ appeared first on Horse Racing News | Paulick Report.

Source of original post

After a Year to Remember, Fonner Park Returns Friday

In 2020, America discovered Fonner Park in Grand Island, Nebraska. With COVID-19 raging, Fonner was one of a handful of tracks able to soldier on in the months of March, April and May, producing handle numbers that shattered anything they had done before.  Jockeys, trainers and horses who had been toiling in obscurity for years were thrust front and center, their every move covered by TVG. Fonner was a feel-good story at a time when those were in short supply.

The little track is back. Fonner's 2021 meet begins Friday, but it won't be anything like last year. While the coronavirus is still a serious problem, most racetracks are running, so there are no openings on the simulcast schedule for Fonner to take advantage of and the competition from places like Gulfstream, Aqueduct and Santa Anita means that Fonner's handle will dwindle back into the low six figures. They're back to running a Friday-through-Sunday schedule and know that their season in the spotlight is a thing of the past.

“In 2020, we knew there was something very specific going on because of COVID,” said Fonner CEO Chris Kotulak. “We were running on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday at a time when there were just five racetracks in the country running. During the week, it was just us and Will Rogers Downs. Of course, that isn't the case anymore. On top of that there are quite a few other sporting events and other wagering opportunities now. Vegas is back. Sports betting is certainly more profound than it was a  year ago. The rest of the world has other betting options now so I'm not sure that anybody in Paris or Santiago, Chile will be betting on us like they were last year.”

Not that there will be a pall over this opener. It's just that Fonner will go to back to being what it always was, a local track that has learned how to survive without bells, whistles, million dollar handles or graded stakes. It's the people of Nebraska that have made Fonner special, something out of a different and better era for the sport. Pre-pandemic, the on-track crowds were so healthy that they sold out all the seats in the grandstand on Saturdays. This year, the fans will be allowed back, but, because of COVID-19, Fonner plans to limit the crowd to 75% of capacity. That will allow them to seat about 4,000 fans.

“These people love their horse racing and they love to have a good time in the afternoon,” Kotulak said. “We're here to give them what they want. They are rabidly eager to return.”

Kotulak said that a mask mandate will be strictly enforced and that anyone who refuses to wear one will be asked to leave. It's personal for him. In October, both he and his wife tested positive for the virus.

“It knocked me out for almost an entire month,” he said. “I had tremendous fatigue and body aches, a little bit of a headache. I'm over it but that doesn't mean I am invincible. I want everybody else to go by that same mantra.”

Some things will be the same from last year. Jake Olesiak will be back to defend his riding title. The Isai Gonzalez barn and the Kelli Martinez barn will likely battle it out for leading trainer. And Fonner, which added several horizontal wagers last year to satisfy demand, will be back with a betting menu that includes Pick Fours and Pick Fives.

“We're going to resume as if there was no change at all in our presentation,” Kotulak said. “That means offering all of the additional Pick Four and Pick Five wagers we added to our wagering menu last year. When we did that, people just gobbled them up.”

While Kotulak understands that handle will fall dramatically at the upcoming meet, he's hopeful that at least some of the horseplayers who discovered Fonner last year liked it enough that they will be back for more.

“People realized that Fonner Park is a charming little gem of racing in the United States,” he said. “There were people who had never seen racing from Fonner Park before and I think many of them were pleasantly surprised. How many Thoroughbred tracks are there that conduct racing over a five-eighths of a mile racetrack? That was new for a lot of people and I think they liked that up close, tight action that happens on a five-eighths racetrack.”

This year's meet will run through Kentucky Derby Day, May 1. The highlight will once again be the April 24, $75,000 Bosselman Pump & Pantry/Gus Fonner Stakes. It was won last year by Sleepy Eyes Todd (Paddy O'Prado), who will attempt to become the first horse in history to pull off the Bosselman-Saudi Cup double.

It's easy to be optimistic about Fonner's future. In the November election, Nebraskans voted to allow the state's racetracks to open up casinos. Fonner has yet to select a company it will partner with to build the casino, but Kotulak said expectations are that the casino will be up and running toward the end of this year. That will mean that the track's future is guaranteed and that the 2022 meet will feature a healthy bump in purses. Kotulak expects they will double.

That won't make Fonner Park Santa Anita Park or anything close to it, but that's OK. Fonner has never tried to be something that it's not.

The post After a Year to Remember, Fonner Park Returns Friday appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

Source of original post

Virginia Gold Cup Moved To May 29, Will Allow Limited Spectators

Every May, on the same date as the Kentucky Derby, one of the nation's largest steeplechase events takes place in Northern Virginia. As an event that has been run on the first Saturday in May for the past 95 years, the Virginia Gold Cup is considered to be Virginia's answer to the Kentucky Derby. This year that date will change to May 29.

Last year, the event moved to June 27 and ran without spectators. It was livestreamed without charge so its many fans could watch online.

This May marks the 96th year for the event and organizers have completely overhauled the spectator portion to comply with COVID-19. The event will now run on May 29 with limited ticket packages for sale. Spectators will be allowed in a reduced number of pre-purchased rail spaces that will ring the entire racecourse. No corporate tents will be allowed on site. Rail spaces will be spread out and will be larger than in past (12' wide by 20' deep.) Those attending must purchase a rail spot that comes with 10 tickets (10 wristbands, one reserved tailgate car pass and two general admission car passes.) The cost is $675 for a rail space on Member's Hill and $500 for rail spaces on north or south areas around the racecourse. No individual tickets will be sold.

Limited ticket packages are available and purchases can only be made by calling 540-347-2612. Sales are on a first-come, first-served basis while supplies last. Attendees who have had a regular rail spot year-after-year will not receive that space this year and those who acquire a rail space this year will not receive any privileges for subsequent years. In 2022, the event will revert back to its space reservations of 2019 as there are a number of people who have held specific spaces at the race for years.

“A final ruling on the event is expected from the Governor a month before the race. Should something happen with Covid-19 between now and April 15, we will be able to adjust accordingly,” explained Dr. William Allison, chairman of the Virginia Gold Cup Association. “In the interim, we'll accept space reservations but they'll be very limited.”

Covid-19 restrictions will limit the availability of food at the event. “All spectators will have to bring their own food and drink,” Allison continued. Some catering will be available for on-site pickup (see website for details.)

The pandemic has severely financially impacted the equine industry in Virginia. It is an industry that's very important to the Commonwealth's economy. A 2018/19 report by the Virginia Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services reported that the horse industry brings more than $2 billion annually in economic development to the Commonwealth. The report noted that there are more than 183,643 horses in the state that provide approximately 38,874 jobs. It also stated that there are 30.5% or one million households that contain horse enthusiasts.

“It's important to run these races so that we can continue to help out the equine industry and provide some income,” stated Allison. “So many jockeys, trainers and industry employees are dependent on these races.”

For more information visit vagoldcup.com. The website will be updated as additional information becomes available.

The 2021 Virginia Gold Cup Races are presented by Brown Advisory, the Virginia Horsemen's Benevolent and Protective Association, the Virginia Thoroughbred Association, Virginia Equine Alliance and the Virginia Breeders Fund.

The post Virginia Gold Cup Moved To May 29, Will Allow Limited Spectators appeared first on Horse Racing News | Paulick Report.

Source of original post

Verified by MonsterInsights